• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your ideas to completely reboot an established franchise.

Devil was right there in Tekken 1. Tekken has always been ‘anime.’ Soul Calibur too was NEVER grounded. Bushido Blade was grounded. Soul Calibur has always been a cartoon. Nothing is overdesigned. You're just another boring Mr milquetoast.
It's always funny to see when people react emotionally and start calling you names. You know you've hit a nerve.

(1) "More grounded" implies a scale -- you do understand relativity, right? As in "make it more grounded relatively to what it has been lately, and closer to what it was towards the beginning?" Tekken started as a study of appealing characters centered around a multi-generational family feud. When Kazuya got tossed into a volcano in Tekken 2, that should've been it for Kazuya. But then they had to bring Kazuya back. And then they had to explain that Jinpachi was supposedly holding up Hon-Maru (or whatever that Mishima training building is called) for god knows however many decades or whatever. Just... jumping multiple sharks. Similar trajectory for Soulcalibur.

(2) Also, designs. I'll bring receipts since your response amounted to "Overdesigned!? And anime AF!? Nah ah!"

Yoshimitsu, Tekken 2. Pretty normal looking dude, just with some armor and a cool, stylized mask:

25_mitsu02.jpg

Yoshimitsu, Tekken 7. I... I don't even know what this thing is supposed to be:

476456-tekken-7-galeria-imagenes-yoshimitsu.jpg

Angel, Tekken 2: Simple, elegant design with a subtle "Greek goddess" motif:

angel-tekken2-white.jpg

Devil Kazumi, Tekken 7: What.... what is even happening here!? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

dbbv1zb-304fec71-5408-4c77-9c98-8c6ce04745c1.jpg

... and quite possibly the most "anime as fuck" design of all, which was nowhere to be seen in the early Tekkens:

png-transparent-tekken-7-alisa-bosconovitch-jin-kazama-dr-bosconovitch-tekken-6-bloodline-rebellion-cooperation-to-join-miscellaneous-video-game-fictional-character.png

Siegfried, Soul Edge. Simple yet appealing and immediately recognizable design fit for a knight of the late medieval era:

sigsbeart1-jpg.4163

Siegfried, Soulcalibur 6. Uhhhh... say what? Scarf, exposed arms, overdesigned armor with lines and colors and shit going all over the place.... No, just no. (And this actually an improvement over his way-over-the-fucking-top Soulcalibur V design)

heres-siegfried-and-his-massive-sword-in-soulcalibur-6-1523612710892.jpg

.... and many, many, many, many, many more examples.

It's a matter of preference. My preference is that I don't like where some of the latest entries in these two series have gone. No need for insults. Would you be cool if I said "Oh you're just offended because you're just Mr. Weeb off somewhere fucking his waifu-decorated pillow?" That wouldn't be nice, would it? So let's not go there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not all active franchises.

- Golden Axe into an open world action RPG
- Mass Effect into X-com tactical game or high level Civilization style strategy game
- Colony Wars into a Mass Effect game (with space battles too)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's always funny to see when people react emotionally and start calling you names. You know you've hit a nerve.

(1) "More grounded" implies a scale -- you do understand relativity, right? As in "make it more grounded relatively to what it has been lately, and closer to what it was towards the beginning?" Tekken started as a study of appealing characters centered around a multi-generational family feud. When Kazuya got tossed into a volcano in Tekken 2, that should've been it for Kazuya. But then they had to bring Kazuya back. And then they had to explain that Jinpachi was supposedly holding up Hon-Maru (or whatever that Mishima training building is called) for god knows however many decades or whatever. Just... jumping multiple sharks. Similar trajectory for Soulcalibur.

(2) Also, designs. I'll bring receipts since your response amounted to "Overdesigned!? And anime AF!? Nah ah!"

Yoshimitsu, Tekken 2. Pretty normal looking dude, just with some armor and a cool, stylized mask:

25_mitsu02.jpg

angel-tekken2-white.jpg

Devil Kazumi, Tekken 7: What.... what is even happening here!? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

... and quite possibly the most "anime as fuck" design of all, which was nowhere to be seen in the early Tekkens:

png-transparent-tekken-7-alisa-bosconovitch-jin-kazama-dr-bosconovitch-tekken-6-bloodline-rebellion-cooperation-to-join-miscellaneous-video-game-fictional-character.png

Siegfried, Soul Edge. Simple yet appealing and immediately recognizable design fit for a knight of the late medieval era:

sigsbeart1-jpg.4163

Siegfried, Soulcalibur 6. Uhhhh... say what? Scarf, exposed arms, overdesigned armor with lines and colors and shit going all over the place.... No, just no. (And this actually an improvement over his way-over-the-fucking-top Soulcalibur V design)

It's a matter of preference. My preference is that I don't like where some of the latest entries in these two series have gone. No need for insults. Would you be cool if I said "Oh you're just offended because you're just Mr. Weeb off somewhere fucking his waifu-decorated pillow?" That wouldn't be nice, would it? So let's not go there.
i like Alisa, she is pretty and inteligent.

Wave Race — rebooted as an open-world racer like Burnout Paradise. You travel freely around a big island chain challenging people to races, stunt challenges, upgrading your jet ski, etc.

I would reboot the Ar Tonelico Franchise by turning it into a full blown uncensored hentai game. Would be Triple AAA and have fully voice acting. The H Scenes would be fully animated 😏

Soodanim

Gold Member
Pokemon prequel that plays out the war that predates Red/Blue (fan theory of why everyone is either retired, women, criminals, or children). It's no longer a kid game, it's a warzone where pokemon are on the front lines.

Tekken Force Mode from 3, but it's a full game. Just take Tekken characters, make a side scroller, and release it. Done.

Tenchu. Take some of the Sekiro smoothness, tone down the speed, bring back all the items and the campy story/voice acting, then sell it. To me. Or just remake Wrath of Heaven to start with then do a sequel that isn't a weird Wii game. I miss slicing a demon's throat so hard that his head comes off and bounces.

Last edited:

25_mitsu02.jpg

angel-tekken2-white.jpg

sigsbeart1-jpg.4163

I am sort of agreeing with your take except for when it comes to Siegfried's design in 6. I thought his design in 6, while a bit overdesigned, was a really great reversal from how ridiculous he looked in 4 and 5:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

His outfit in 6 just felt like something from an Assassin's Creed game, but it wasn't too over the top like the above. I don't mind elaborate-looking armor as long as there aren't spikes, magic orbs, or other garbage all over it. They did a great job in 6.

Last edited:
Duke Nukem
When Forver came out in 2011 people said the character was an outdated 90s relic. The whole rescuing 'babes' and giving money to strippers. I personally didn't see that as that's Duke's charm. It's a classic cliché 80s / 90s hero.

But why not put that spin on it. For what ever reason from a story aspect Duke gets frozen / travels through time or whatever and he awakes now to face the alien threat. The world doesn't like Duke today. He's "outdated" and that can open up a possibility of humorous lines and storylines.

Metal gear solid.
With so many talks of a remake why not just reimagine it. Keep most of the same but go in a different direction.

I love mgs but it did get a little whacky and relied on nanomachines a little too much.

Soodanim

Gold Member
This.

But if we're talking about a radical reboot, then we'd have to take it to the next level. Such as, making them first person, adding insane gore and realistic body damage, plus a deep, 30hr story line.

Now that's what I call a radical reboot
It's not a radical reboot if you're reusing old features

Wohc

Banned
Would like to see a reboot of the reboot of Hitman. They are mostly much too easy, would like it to be more hardcore and unforgiving and cheap stuff like chain throwing coins shouldn't be possible.

Labadal

A boring answer, but isometric, party-based, turn-based, open-world Mass Effect. Lets you explore many different planets. Lots of side quests, optional hunts for wanted criminals. Optional space battles, and upgrading your ship.
No classes, let the player choose how to develop their characters.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's not a radical reboot if you're reusing old features

Making it first person isn't as drastic, but giving the game realistic damage is. For example, a throw can break your spine, or if you play against Kuma, you could die with one hit when you get swiped by its massive claws.

Also, Tekken is violent, so why not add a non violent way to resolve fights. You can either do the traditional fight, or you can settle it in a dance off, rap battle or scat battle.

BlackTron

I'd reboot 3d Mario to be mostly the same, except with a slightly darker setting. not edgy, but the general areas you traverse through have a bit more grit and darkness to them than just "grassland, desert area, water area, ice etc"
and uh... give him a shit ton of parkour abilities. I don't know why nintendo hasn't thought of this yet, but when you've got someone as acrobatic as mario it naturally makes sense to let him parkour

It sounds like you're decribing NES Mario games which weren't as "kiddy" as today and had a lot of underground levels. Mario sort of went from being the default game in anyone's lineup to a kids game that adults also like.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It sounds like you're decribing NES Mario games which weren't as "kiddy" as today and had a lot of underground levels. Mario sort of went from being the default game in anyone's lineup to a kids game that adults also like.

The NES Mario games were still kids games..

To really reboot Mario, imagine 2018 God of War, but with a Mario skin. Keep the violent combat and over the shoulder camera, but set it in the Mushroom kingdom with all the expected power ups.

To push the franchise into the 21st century maybe Mario catches Peach and Bowser banging and Peach tells Mario she's leaving him to rule the universe with Bowser. This leads Mario to go on a blood soaked quest for vengeance.

Not even joking, Nintendo should seriously consider this. Think of how many adult Mario fans would lose their shit over this brave reboot? It'd be a surefire hit.

wvnative

"Burnout"

Burnout meets Mad Max

Post apocalyptic story driven M rated arcade racing game, with a gritty story of a guy just trying to survive. But no on foot sections like Mad Max, car only. Retains classic Burnout style driving and spectacular wrecks, but this time, the M rating is leveraged to also show the violence of what happens to the body in such a violent crash. Complete realistic mutilation of the body in addition to the car. Add organic power ups like NFS HP to add a whole new layer to car combat. Open world is retained from Paradise but unlike Paradise, missions/events are closed off except where the open world might make sense (like a hunt and kill mode) All modes from paradise return but expanded upon (EG when eliminated from stunt run, you can still hunt down and kill the remaining drivers) With new modes added (Maybe a hunt mode?)

Car crashes are ramped up to levels never seen outside of BeamNG leveraging the power of Frostbyte destruction, with every piece of the car dynamically and realisticly breaking apart based on how you crashed. Depending on how you crash, your body can get ejected out of the car flatout style, with realistic damage/mutilation to the body. While progression is still primarily driven by completing events like racing/road rage etc, every chapter you complete you get an NFS Payback style action mission inspired by the F&F movies as a way to cap off the chapter. Online mode basically an expanded version of what already exists in Paradise, with improved online challenges, and maybe even special co-op missions in addition to normal PVP modes.

Sound design is taken to the next level on PS5 with 3D audio, with the ability to hear every piece of the car crunch, break, and bounce off of the ground. Every tire screetch when drifting, every opponent around accelerating/shifting/braking. DualSense trigger resistence taken to max levels when you slam into a wall or tailgate an opponent.

Soundtrack ditches tortured soul rock in favor of full heavy metal to go with the setting/tone of the game. Brings back the classic EA trax system where you can decide what songs play and when, with the option to shuffle and disable individual songs. Expanded to where you can make different playlists for different event types.

And of course, all possible accessibility options like full button remapping, disable resistent triggers, and anything deaf/blind players need to enjoy the game.

Shifty

Sonic.

Why am I even going down this rabbit hole.

Make it like the Sonic CD intro, except playable. Dialogue is banned. Animal friends are banned. Anything that doesn't serve the purpose of being an archetypal nature hero doing high speed parkour-y acrobatic things is banned.

You know what, fuck this.

Rayman. Take us back to the Rayman 3 days in terms of gameplay (i.e. 3D with working fists), but drop the overt zaniness and extended cast, and give it an aesthetic patterned after the original 2D game.

before I'm too far gone on Polish vodka
Credit where it's due, that's an immaculately formatted OP for being written under the influence.

I can't really argue against this, but I still hate her less than Lucky Chloe.

Would gladly take a reboot that excises all of the characters designed around pandering.

Last edited:
Sonic.

Why am I even going down this rabbit hole.

Make it like the Sonic CD intro, except playable. Dialogue is banned. Animal friends are banned. Anything that doesn't serve the purpose of being an archetypal nature hero doing high speed parkour-y acrobatic things is banned.

You know what, fuck this.

Rayman. Take us back to the Rayman 3 days in terms of gameplay (i.e. 3D with working fists), but drop the overt zaniness and extended cast, and give it an aesthetic patterned after the original 2D game.

Credit where it's due, that's an immaculately formatted OP for being written under the influence.

I can't really argue against this, but I still hate her less than Lucky Chloe.

Would gladly take a reboot that excises all of the characters designed around pandering.
YOOOOOO... Lucky Chloe was the one I was thinking about when I first wrote my post. My god what a shitty design.

To those wondering what atrocity we're talking about, here you go:

dcskuaw-10ef8c28-e472-498f-8487-2004ac966c84.png

One of the worst character designs of all time.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When i say dark, but not edgy, i think Sonic, specifically sonic CD, is a good place to start. It's still just as age appropriate as mario but there's an underlying darkness with the theme of bad futures and technology overpowering nature. Plus, the more varied levels overall compared to most of the Mario offerings. Ratchet and Clank (specifically, the original first game on PS2) is a good example too, where a lot of the game environments are colorful and child friendly, but as the game goes on you reach darker, dilapidated mechanical areas. that game is a masterpiece when it comes to areas like this
Mario Odyssey i felt was a good start, with the more realistic environments, but i feel they can push the envelope a bit more. There's also the Mario and Luigi games which do a good job of this, especially Partners in Time

Last edited:

Fattious Floyd

Neo Member
Assassin's Creed should be a Hitman game set in the past instead of... whatever the fuck it's supposed to be now.
This is why the original game from 2007 is the best game in the series.
It's also why the Hitman franchise sans Absolution is the greatest videogame series about assassins, and some of the greatest stealth games in general.
Heck YES!!!!! The stealth component is what is now missing from the AC series as a whole. It seems as if it now suffers from an identity crisis or something. I'm not even sure the developers know what their aiming for anymore. Black Flag (IMO) was the last entry that felt even remotely true to it's original form.

Bigfroth

Have Capcom give Dino Crisis 1/2 the same upgrade they gave RE 2/3 BOOM!! Bestseller. It's a no-brainer lol Come on Capcom
Do It GIF

BlackTron

The NES Mario games were still kids games..

To really reboot Mario, imagine 2018 God of War, but with a Mario skin. Keep the violent combat and over the shoulder camera, but set it in the Mushroom kingdom with all the expected power ups.

To push the franchise into the 21st century maybe Mario catches Peach and Bowser banging and Peach tells Mario she's leaving him to rule the universe with Bowser. This leads Mario to go on a blood soaked quest for vengeance.

Not even joking, Nintendo should seriously consider this. Think of how many adult Mario fans would lose their shit over this brave reboot? It'd be a surefire hit.

I don't think anyone ever suggested not making Mario a "kids game". But play Mario 1 and 3 for awhile, then try New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. Those Wii U games are absolutely Fisher Price in comparison.

I miss when Mario had this vibe of underground plumbing and elbow grease. Without going overboard into Mario of War, I think it was a good balance. In my opinion, such a game would not be very successful.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
then try New Super Mario Bros. U and Super Mario 3D World. Those Wii U games are absolutely Fisher Price in comparison.
i abolutely love those games especially the latter, but man i seriously can't shake the feeling that i'm feeling pandered to. Everything's so obnoxiously safe, bright and colorful. I get it's a kids game but it felt a bit too safe (thankfully bowser's fury remedies this with the awesome kaiju fights and the unique island environment)
like A hat in Time in comparison is for kids, but it doesn't aggressively feel like it. there's a bit more to the game and a couple of out there jokes only adults could get. Plus the first stage starts with you literally going up against the mafia, you enter a giant bird island (beautifuly rendered btw) and overall the game's just more unique and doesn't feel as colorful and childish as mario 3d world

BlackTron

i abolutely love those games especially the latter, but man i seriously can't shake the feeling that i'm feeling pandered to. Everything's so obnoxiously safe, bright and colorful. I get it's a kids game but it felt a bit too safe (thankfully bowser's fury remedies this with the awesome kaiju fights and the unique island environment)
like A hat in Time in comparison is for kids, but it doesn't aggressively feel like it. there's a bit more to the game and a couple of out there jokes only adults could get. Plus the first stage starts with you literally going up against the mafia, you enter a giant bird island (beautifuly rendered btw) and overall the game's just more unique and doesn't feel as colorful and childish as mario 3d world

I agree, the games were VERY good, but for how great SM3DW was, I actually knocked it down a notch just for its presentation. If the game had the vibe of Mario Bros 3 it would practically be the best Mario of all time. But ended up being the kiddiest Mario ever.

Mario 64 is not bad either. It feels neutral. It's definitely Mario as his for-kids self but doesn't go out of it's way to pander either. And has its share of dark/scary/weird stuff thrown in too.

Edit: Must be said. THE "grittiest" Mario game is Mario RPG on SNES.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
C&C Renegade but as a replacement to Battlefield.

Currently EA lacks a solid combined arms shooter after the failure of Battlefield.

Bring back C&C Renegade, add an equivalent to Rush and Domination but also keep the classic C&C mode and see what happens.

I would probably base it around the Red Alert 2 universe to give it room to grow, plenty of intresting units for Air and Sea.

karasu

25_mitsu02.jpg

angel-tekken2-white.jpg

sigsbeart1-jpg.4163

Yoshimitsu was never just some dude in a stylized mask. He's been using his sword like a helicopter propeller/Inquisitor since the beginning. Does that look like Samurai or Ninja armor to you? He's the same cracked-out space ninja except his designs borrow more heavily from creatures you'd find in Ukiyo-E.

Comparing a Westernized Angel to a Japanese "devil" is asinine. Of course, the latter would display a more wrathful aspect. like a Fudo Myo, for example.

Finally, I really have no idea why you focus on Siegfried's "exposed arms" as opposed to his exposed femoral artery in his generic as fuck original design. Overdesigned with lines and colors all over the place? Do you mean fluting? :messenger_tears_of_joy:SC took place during the years when Maximillian armor was most popular. When the Italian influence on German armor was high and it became known for more elaborate design work

sigmaZ

Soul Calibur, but instead of the side view fighter, a new over the shoulder camera view third person fighting game somewhat akin to Sekiro and basically a remake of the original Soul Blade story, bringing back multiple weapons.

A mainline Zelda trilogy called Heroes of Time where each one has a different protagonist with slightly different gameplay. The first is a Dark Souls style game featuring Impa as the lead. The second is akin to Prince of Persia with Shiek as the lead, and the final one essential a remake of the original with Link as the lead.

Bushido Blade as a small indie-like game where it's done in an ultra-minimal watercolor-like style and third person and you can quickly jump in and out of multiplayer games.

Paper Mario. This series is near and dear to my heart, and the first two games in the series are still to this day, two of my all-time favorites. Brilliant turn-based RPGs with great story, hilarious dialogue, fun dungeons, and clever mechanics, not to mention the music. So good.

Fast forward to today, the series has become this genre-less, meandering, shallow, hollow shell of a series. It has no direction, each installment beginning with Super Paper Mario has tried to reinvent what Paper Mario is, all unsuccessfully.

In 2016, when Color Splash was shown off and it was clear they once again weren't returning to an RPG framework, one of the developers let slip that because the Mario & Luigi series does turn-based RPGs, they decided to move Paper Mario away from RPGs and do something fresh. That, coupled with Tanabe's penchant for "each new title in the series must do something new", we get this odd turn-based combat system but no reason to actually battle, because all of the other RPG elements are stripped out. So, imagine Skyrim, but, you can't level up or gain new skills. You just get a bunch of gold. Yeah, it's that bad!

So,... long story short: Paper Mario could really use a reboot. Base it off the first game if they have to, I don't care. And go from there. Return to the series' roots, go back to basics. Show the post-GameCube era Nintendo audience what Paper Mario can be, and help it reach it's full potential again. Give it the FFVII Remake treatment. Go all in, and make an amazing Mario RPG again. After all, that is literally why Paper Mario exists in the first place... to continue the Mario RPG games after they ended their relationship with Square after Super Mario RPG came out. RPGs have literally never been more popular than they are now. Just imagine what a big-budget AAA Paper Mario RPG could do on the Switch. It could be truly something special.

They do that, I guarantee it will be by far the best-selling game in the series, AND it will win back the trust of all the old-school Paper Mario fans. Double win!

Last edited:

Inuteu

Far cry:

- game would start as a treasure hunt and you get lost

- would have multiple big islands (each one with a boss)

- you need a boat to travel between the bigger islands

- one of the islands would have a boss like apocalipse now Brando with his followers, other would be like king kong like, with big animals etc, other dominated by military forces searching for a misterious artifact, other a Lost inspired plane crash island bla bla bla

- more focused on realism. mixed gameplay of traditional shooters with survival games such as The Forest, green hell, the long dark etc

Far Cry is a dead franchise right now. It needs a reboot going back to its roots

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

25_mitsu02.jpg

angel-tekken2-white.jpg

sigsbeart1-jpg.4163

Funny how tekken basically went in the opposite route from street fighter, where it became more and more absurdly Japanese as time went on while SF catered to the west more
Also, that Yoshimitsu design in Tekken 7 is just.... eugh

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The Legend of Zelda remade with modern graphics, but as a turn-based RPG with random encounters and developed by former SquareSoft employees.

In a sequel remade with the same criteria Zelda gets killed, and this paves the way for Dark Link.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
In 2016, when Color Splash was shown off and it was clear they once again weren't returning to an RPG framework, one of the developers let slip that because the Mario & Luigi series does turn-based RPGs, they decided to move Paper Mario away from RPGs and do something fresh. That, coupled with Tanabe's penchant for "each new title in the series must do something new", we get this odd turn-based combat system but no reason to actually battle, because all of the other RPG elements are stripped out. So, imagine Skyrim, but, you can't level up or gain new skills. You just get a bunch of gold. Yeah, it's that bad!
This statement aged really fucking poorly. That being said, with how Nintendo has xenoblade for the rpg crowd I highly doubt they'll bring true Paper Mario back.
Nintendo's constant insistence on introducing a new Mechanic or gimmick with all of their franchises is going to fucking bite them in the ass one day when no one in the company can come up with any new concepts because they've tried literally everything before
If it ain't broke, theres really no reason to fix it or reinvent the damn wheel. Sometimes it's better to just give us more of what we want rather than try something new every time. It's the same thing for the next Nintendo console, just do what you did before and you'll get immediate success.

DZ_b_EZ

Shadowrun.

But it looks and plays very similarly to Elder Scrolls and Cyberpunk 2077. There's an optional third-person camera, deep romance options, and combat that allows you to either play real-time or turn-based. The world environment is kind of similar to the world of the Netflix movie Bright.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball:

Takes place in a gritty post-apocalyptic world where Emperor Itagaki rules the earth, and conflicts between corporation-states are settled in violent beach volleyball matches to the death.

Last edited:
Duke Nukem. It could be kind of like Demolition Man. Duke is a relic of a bygone era and nobody has needed him for decades. He’s older now, down on himself for feeling useless as the world passed him by. Now there is a real threat and he’s the only one that can help.

Interfectum

Warcraft 3: Play as Arthas from humble beginnings to the Lich King in a God of War (2018) style game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom