• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your ideas to completely reboot an established franchise.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
As a bit of fun and before I'm too far gone on Polish vodka, I'd like to hear your ideas for how you'd reboot a popular and established franchise. However, I want to hear your ideas that change the franchise so drastically that it either kills it off completely, or makes it insanely better than it currently is.

We'll let other forum members decide if your idea is amazing or absolutely dog shit.

I'll start, and I'm going with the massively popular Animal Crossing.

I've always heard great things about this franchise, but the cute graphics and simplistic game style have always put me off. So, here is my idea for a gritty, realistic, dark Animal Crossing reboot.

The core DNA of the gameplay remains the same. You'll still start off as a human who moves into a village populated by anthropomorphic animals. You'll still be able to customise your pad, plus take part in activities such as bug-catching, fishing etc. You'll also still be to collect items and the game will still be played in real time. However, here is the genius twists that would reboot it for modern times.

The game will have two camera options. Either third person over the shoulder, or first person.

The graphics will no longer be cute and cuddly, but will be hyper, photo realistic. Almost as if there was a real village of anthropomorphic animals. I'm thinking something like this.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-04-at-3.57.37-PM.jpg

As well as a shift of camera and art style, I'd also make the game a lot more dark and gritty. As well as the core aspects of the gameplay, there would also be a story mode with missions. The story would be epic and Walking Dead levels of dark. You'd be able to use weapons as well, but to stop it being too dark, only melee weapons. Guns and rocket launchers wouldn't fit the feel for the game.

The game would also be open world. As well as the main village, there would be a massive world to explore, plus you'd be able to raise armies and conquer other villages.

You can also start relationships with any other the villagers, although for obvious reasons this might be a step too far.

EDIT: forgot to add. The characters would have full voice overs voiced by Hollywood actors. And also scat before every sentence.....just because.

So. What do you think of this reboot of Animal Crossing? Awe inspiring idea, or dog shit idea and I should stop drinking? Let me know your ideas to completely reboot an established franchise.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Mario. In the reboot, Mario will be killed by Baby Bowser in the first two hours as retribution for killing Bowser, the rest of the game will be a management sim where you'll play as him managing the dominated mushroom kingdom, all while trying to fend off revenge attempts by Luigi and Peach.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Never played Animal Crossing so no strong opinion about the "reboot" you are talking about. Just that this kind of game are better with dark implications than with crude on your face edgy segments. like pokemon who is nice on the surface but raise many questions if you think about it( what do wild carnivores pokemon eat, the war that one of the gym leaders fough in...)
For me the reboot that change completely a series that I love in a crazy way would be to make a opposite of Metal Gear Solid. But instead of being a pawn like Raiden was or to have a complex series of surprises and cliffhangers I would be interested in being part of "La-li-lu-le-lo" and create the crazy plans that are so often seen in it. Impossible without huge improvement in AI but a man can dream...

IDKFA

Mario. In the reboot, Mario will be killed by Baby Bowser in the first two hours as retribution for killing Bowser, the rest of the game will be a management sim where you'll play as him managing the dominated mushroom kingdom, all while trying to fend off revenge attempts by Luigi and Peach.

Nice. Would be a nice change for Mario. Would it be like an RTS, or maybe a violent 1 vs 1000 game with sim elements like Dynasty Warriors Empires?

Robb

Gold Member
A linear Pokemon game which is set up like God of War. You play and traverse the land as the trainer (with a fixed team of pre-determined Pokemon) and when you have encounters you play as the Pokemon in real time with combat also similar to GoW and with some big set-piece moments like Pikachu running up/jumping on a Gigantamaxed evolution of some opponents Pokemon etc. etc.
MV5BMzNlNDEzYmQtMjhiMy00MGU4LTlhMDAtNmIwM2VhMDBlODVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_.jpg

A Sackboy game with a horror theme similar to something like Little Nightmares. Encounters with enemies can be avoided but you may end up loosing a limb or two and have to play the game “handicapped” until you find something to replace said limb with (i.e. another ‘dead’ stuffed animals foot or arm etc.)
sackboy_a_big_adventure_03.jpg

A 2D Mario game with great animation that is in the same artstyle as the old instruction manuals (I.e. the actual artwork for games like Super Mario World or Mario Bros. 3).
dc1tjba-1e7a4c1c-8931-4cea-9a98-1eb4d7fd5eb3.png

Spider-Man battle royale where there’s one huge city and hundreds of spiders swinging around trying to kill each other.
Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-multiplayer-1.jpg

Last edited:

IDKFA

A linear Pokemon game which is set up like God of War. You play and traverse the land as the trainer (with a fixed team of pre-determined Pokemon) and when you have encounters you play as the Pokemon in real time with combat also similar to GoW and with some big set-piece moments like Pikachu running up/jumping on a Gigantamaxed evolution of some opponents Pokemon etc. etc.
MV5BMzNlNDEzYmQtMjhiMy00MGU4LTlhMDAtNmIwM2VhMDBlODVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_.jpg

A Sackboy game with a horror theme similar to something like Little Nightmares.
sackboy_a_big_adventure_03.jpg

A 2D Mario game with great animation that is in the same artstyle as the old instruction manuals (I.e. the actual artwork for games like Super Mario World or Mario Bros. 3).
dc1tjba-1e7a4c1c-8931-4cea-9a98-1eb4d7fd5eb3.png

Spider-Man battle royale where there’s one huge city and hundreds of spiders swinging around trying to kill each other.
Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-multiplayer-1.jpg

Love the idea of the Pokémon game. Would absolutely inject some life into a tired franchise.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I would definitely do a Tekken Reboot, with more realistic characters, with background situations of personality, reasons for fighting.

More based on 90s revenge movies.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

d2b5f30d47235176ee5f49d5e205dc23.jpg

More of this

And ban these antics (Babosadas)

1410392.jpg

Last edited:

radewagon

I'd like to see a hack n' slash game with a heavy emphasis on carefully timed attacks where Hatsune Miku, and her ragtag group of musicians, travel around the universe saving planets, Captain EO style, from a techno-fascist fate.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Top 5 reboots ratchet and clank, it elevates the original ps2 game. Goldeneye wii it opened the door to a classic again. Star fox, the Wii U controls and the gyro were phenomenal. Resident evil 7, think about coming back to the series linear roots, moving to vr and classic horrific characters. God of war, can be considered a reboot I don’t think the ps2 games match up to the ps4 version of Kratos.

brian0057

Banned
Assassin's Creed should be a Hitman game set in the past instead of... whatever the fuck it's supposed to be now.
This is why the original game from 2007 is the best game in the series.
It's also why the Hitman franchise sans Absolution is the greatest videogame series about assassins, and some of the greatest stealth games in general.

Both Tekken and Soulcalibur have become anime as fuck, with overdesigned characters meant to appeal to weebs, and the stories seem to have gone in that direction, too.

Reboot both of those series with the more grounded character designs and stories from Tekken 1-2 and Soul Edge/Soulcalibur 1.

Chronicle

SOCOM. Reboot it with fantastic graphics 4 player coop/optional single player with better AI (lookin at you Boomer). Make a good campaign but easy on the storyline. Just hunt a terrorist or cell. I prefer 'realism' in games. I say that in quotes to add emphasis. I know games aren't real so don't mention it. I like real guns, camo and situations.

3rd person MP with smaller maps. Maps were too big in 3. No vehicles. 8 vs 8. Great graphics/explosions and gameplay. Modernize controls and level system. Clans and clan wars.

There is a market for this SONY. Trust me/us.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Both Tekken and Soulcalibur have become anime as fuck, with overdesigned characters meant to appeal to weebs, and the stories seem to have gone in that direction, too.

Reboot both of those series with the more grounded character designs and stories from Tekken 1-2 and Soul Edge/Soulcalibur 1.
i actually don't care about what you just said, i just replied cuz i noticed you changed your PFP.... yeah.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd reboot 3d Mario to be mostly the same, except with a slightly darker setting. not edgy, but the general areas you traverse through have a bit more grit and darkness to them than just "grassland, desert area, water area, ice etc"
and uh... give him a shit ton of parkour abilities. I don't know why nintendo hasn't thought of this yet, but when you've got someone as acrobatic as mario it naturally makes sense to let him parkour

Also, for Mario Kart, i'd reboot the game to have insane, Trackmania-esque track designs with loops and shit everywhere. MK8 did this, but it ended up casualizing the franchise more than anything. When i say trackmania, i mean the crazy loop de loops and physics youve seen in those videos. that also includes the physics, where if you don't play well you get knocked off the road. It's a bit extreme, but i feel mario kart has become kinda easy with how you're able to stay on the track all the time. No antigravity either, you either go through the loop or you fall through and gotta do it again

Last edited:

IDKFA

This.

But if we're talking about a radical reboot, then we'd have to take it to the next level. Such as, making them first person, adding insane gore and realistic body damage, plus a deep, 30hr story line.

Now that's what I call a radical reboot

Socom: Reboot

Features: Online only

Free to Play
All Socom Maps 1+2+3+ Combined Assualt
Battle Pass
1 New Map every Month
Push to talk, not open mic
Lobbies

Included all old features plus ones

online only because Single player never mattered for socom

intbal

I would love to see Mercenaries come back. Give the franchise to Respawn if they have the bandwidth, EA. Have it set in Cold War Cuba.
Why not current Ukraine?
It fits the Mercenaries style perfectly. Hot war zone with lots of mercs present working for various outside interests.

karasu

Devil was right there in Tekken 1. Tekken has always been ‘anime.’ Soul Calibur too was NEVER grounded. Bushido Blade was grounded. Soul Calibur has always been a cartoon. Nothing is overdesigned. You're just another boring Mr milquetoast.

SyberWolf

Syphon Filter, next gen reboot. with a crazy / more fleshed out story and fleshed out characters like Metal Gear Solid. with some good twists.
i have been wanting a new high quality syphon filter (for consoles) for a long time.

another game i want to see is a reboot / remake / sequel to,

Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn (Chase The Express in europe)

Last edited:
I've had this idea for a long time and I don't care if it's stolen. Reboot Final Fight into a sprawling Yakuza-like game including three separate storylines of Cody, Guy, and Haggar. Creative liberties will be taken with the storyline.

Even though it's a split storyline, Cody will be the Kazuma Kiryu of the series in terms of story focus. You'll see him go through multiple phases of his journey from rags to jail to riches with multiple outfits to match. His gameplay will revolve around his grudge with the Mad Gear Gang due to them killing his wife/girlfriend who was the current mayor's daughter(not Haggar's daughter). He'll go through many hardships, make connections(realize he can't fight them alone) and grow as a character throughout the game as he gets his revenge.

maxresdefault.jpg

The final boss of his storyline will be his ex-compatriot Rolento(as a plot twist) with special unlockable boss battle of Abigail. You will then realize it was Belger who ordered the hit because the mayor refused to give in to demands and things went too far which resulted in her death.

JBUfI3nRfMpRgUhxtGtWHSLI84OLnr4c.png

Haggar's gameplay will involve taking care of the city and it's properties, ensuring wealth growth, and making sure that establishments are safe from anything Mad Gear gang related. His final boss for his storyline will be Damnd with a special unlockable bonus fight for Hugo. Once Damnd is beaten, you will realize tycoon and business owner Belger was behind it all and was using the gang to lower property costs so that he could try to buy up everything. Haggar will become the Mayor at the end of the story.

maxresdefault.jpg

Guy's story will revolve around him taking a trip from Japan to US to visit family/family friends and he finds out that they've been under constant pressure by the Mad Gear Gang, or(alternate story) he will be tracking down a rival ninja clan member(Sodom) who ended up as a high rank in Mad Gear Gang. His Journey will revolve around trying to help save and protect others from the Mad Gear Gang, stopping the influence of the rival ninja clan within their ranks, and the final battle will be with Sodom, with a special unlockable boss battle of Retu(with possible guest appearance of Maki). Guy's story might contain flashback missions of his battles in Japan. You will realize that it was Belger who was making connections with the rival ninja clan in order to start business affairs in that region to earn more money through business dealings.

The main combat system will take the best aspects of games like Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs including unlockable moves(and possibly styles). The 3 will converge at times over the course of the story and become friends halfway through. The final boss for all 3 characters will be Belger(the final boss of 1) and the climactic battle will take place at the top floor of his skyscraper(like the old game).

This will breathe new life into the franchise and if successful it could have a sequel where some of the old Final Fight 2 and 3 characters are re-written and inserted into the next games in a better way that works.

Heimdall_Xtreme

A reboot of Street fighter, single player, you control Ryu in an open world, looking for fighters and learning RPG style techniques, with the main story being to fight with the classic characters. A Shenmue or Yakuza from Street fighter.

Cel shading based in this series.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
God of War but its turn based.

GTA becomes a "criminal empire" simulator where you have to micromanage your criminal activities, send goons to collect your debt, strike deals with corrupt goverment officials and deal with rival gangs.

F-Zero but its a cinematic 3rd person shooter/brawler where you play as captain falcon as he takes down a shadowy organization led by black shadow, you get to drive and race his ship too of course.

Uncharted but its a detective/puzzle game focused on the archeology aspect, very little to no shooting corridors. It's all about discovering the wonders and treasure left by the old world.

Red dead Redemption but it's a farm/everyday simulator ala animal crossing, except you also need to prepare and survive the outlaws that rob, pillage and kill in your town frequently. As a law abiding citizen just trying to get by and not die by being murdered, out of hunger or disease, you get to have a family but also need to take care and provide for it.

The last of us but it is actually "The last of us" and it's a survival sim, ala ARK but good. Emphasis on supply runs and keeping your community safe while figuring out how to move on in the world.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Gears of War: After finally fending off the locust, Marcus Fenix and co sit down to finally relax and enjoy his much earned retirement and can finally tend to his farm and land, in a 2D pixel art world marcus must face his biggest challenge yet, keeping his goddamn crops and farm animals alive in this stardew valley inspired spinoff.

Duke Nukem Forever reboot but in the style of the initial trailer before it was ruined... you know, the one with the mine carts.

Heimdall_Xtreme

God of War but its turn based.

GTA becomes a "criminal empire" simulator where you have to micromanage your criminal activities, send goons to collect your debt, strike deals with corrupt goverment officials and deal with rival gangs.

F-Zero but its a cinematic 3rd person shooter/brawler where you play as captain falcon as he takes down a shadowy organization led by black shadow, you get to drive and race his ship too of course.

Uncharted but its a detective/puzzle game focused on the archeology aspect, very little to no shooting corridors. It's all about discovering the wonders and treasure left by the old world.

Red dead Redemption but it's a farm/everyday simulator ala animal crossing, except you also need to prepare and survive the outlaws that rob, pillage and kill in your town frequently. As a law abiding citizen just trying to get by and not die by being murdered, out of hunger or disease, you get to have a family but also need to take care and provide for it.

The last of us but it is actually "The last of us" and it's a survival sim, ala ARK but good. Emphasis on supply runs and keeping your community safe while figuring out how to move on in the world.

I was disappointed in part of the story of The last of us 2. My story would have been divided into 2 halves. The first part, 3 new characters in search and hunting for Ellie and Joel.

The second half of the game controlling Ellie and Joel in their survival, finding the whereabouts of the renegades.

Chronicle

Socom: Reboot

Features: Online only

Free to Play
All Socom Maps 1+2+3+ Combined Assualt
Battle Pass
1 New Map every Month
Push to talk, not open mic
Lobbies

Included all old features plus ones

online only because Single player never mattered for socom
I loved SOCOM single player.

I like this idea. Introduce co-op with these two as the main characters:

t23x5t-h_2019.jpg
Co-op would be fun for free roam or special combat modes or something (more open world games should have it tbh)

But I think it'd be really difficult to write a meaningful story/balanced combat for a game with both single and co-op, unless it was only for specific missions (like the missions you can switch characters in gta 5)

Robb

Gold Member
This is a good one, I imagine it could be a bit like the Batman Arkham games using your F-Zero car as the ‘Batmobile’ and taking place in a large futuristic city. The roads could even be F-Zero-esque tracks.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
WarCraft.

A third-person FromSoftware-inspired action-adventure game where you play as an Orc, fighting demons, humans, elves, and gnomes.

As you conquer cities and castles, you gain loot, building up your own personal horde, but your true goal is to defeat the arch-demon who leech the Orcs of their lifeforce, and you will have to fight your own personal demons as the game progresses, as you lose faith in the very horde you are building. You have to make choices regarding sacrifice and power around your own horde army and the power the demons may give you.

Call of Duty but with fixed camera angles.
7CCG.gif

This is actually a really interesting idea. They would need to make sure that enemy damage is dangerous enough(nearly 1-2 hit kills) so that you would play the game more carefully than you would with normal cod. It would be extremely tense at every new camera angle and setting. Maybe they could also add a Parasite Eve-style targeting system for limbs.

Tomb Raider but it plays like Resident Evil 1 remake in a cave setting. Limited ammo, emphasis on finding items and solving puzzles. Also a love letter to archeologists as it can feature actual tools and language. Maybe some sim elements. Monster Hunter’s campsite approach would work great here. Prepare for missions and then set off.

Just a lot more respect and emphasis on the treasure hunting element of Lara’s work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom