• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favourite NFL Team's Mount Rushmore

NO COACHES, OWNERS OR OTHER TEAM PERSONNEL. PLAYERS ONLY!

With the annual Super Bowl Championship in the books and no football until October, I thought now would be a suitable time to look into the history of the NFL. I'm a huge football fan, I love everything about the game from the bone-crunching tackles to the ecstasy of a game winning touchdown to the strategy and formations of each specific play. I love the branding, the team rivalries, equipment and I even have love for special teams when they do their jobs properly. There's a lot that's entertaining about the sport and it's pure Americana ingrained into the minds of people all over the US of A. And it's not surprising as the National Football League is the most profitable league in America trailed only by Major League Baseball in terms of revenue and support base.

With so many football fans on NeoGAF, I wanted to see people's selections of teams and favourite players. You can choose four players from any of the 32 active teams in the NFL, but coaches, general managers, owners are excluded from selection. The players put forth must have spent at least one whole season with the team, but I can imagine many people selecting those who spent their careers with a single franchise. Justification must also be given and it can either be for their individual dominance, team success or contributions within the organisation or community, all or any reasons can be chosen.

Mine:

New York Giants

yXaXfKKR_400x400.jpg

I'm a Giants fan and even though we're an absolute train wreck right now with a garbage wide receiver corps, overpaying players ($39 million for Adoree' Jackson?!) and multiple injuries, I'm still a fan of the team and want to see them be giants again and not midgets. Since we've been around since 1925 I'm spoilt for choice, but these would be my selections.

1 - Lawrence Taylor - Outside Linebacker (1981-1993)

lawrence-taylor.jpg

When it comes to defensive players it's not even close who deserves the top spot. LT however isn't on my list for changing the game, but for also changing the team's fortunes in the 1980s. He turned the team around and lead them to the playoffs, he lead the defence which blew out a 49ers team whom many considered the greatest, he won the Giants first Super Bowl in 1986 alongside DPOY and league MVP as well as delivering another Lombardi in 1990. There's no ignoring his substance abuse and off the field problems, but the dominance of Lawrence Taylor on a football field has occasionally been replicated but never outmatched.

2 - Eli Manning - Quarterback (2004-2019)

elimanningcut.jpg

I'm going to get some heat for this one and while I can understand many of the criticisms towards Eli Manning, those 2 Super Bowl rings over Tom Brady with accompanying MVPs sure look good on the mantle piece. Yes he's not the most accurate quarterback nor the most serious and he throws lots of interceptions whilst looking silly, but he's accomplished a hell of a lot with no number one receiver, a running back who talked himself out of town and an inconsistent defence. Eli Manning deserves to be on this list.

3 - Mel Hein - Center/Linebacker (1931-1945)

Hein_Mel4_Giants.jpg

Mel who? Yes we're going back with this one to the 1930s and 40s. Mel Hein was one of the league best two way players at a time when football didn't have the numbers. A stalwart at center on offense and reliable tackler at linebacker on defense. Hein played 15 seasons for Big Blue, brought 2 NFL Championships to the team and is the only center (or offensive lineman for that fact) to be honoured NFL MVP, a feat we'll probably never see matched.

4 - Frank Gifford - Running Back/Wide Reciever/Kicker (1952-1960, 1962-1964)

Gifford_1950zzWEB.jpg

Final selection goes to Frank Gifford, another player who could do it all for the G-Men. Could run the ball, catch and even make field goals, brought one NFL Championship to the team in 1956 and played in several more during that decade.

Your turn...

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Packers

Brett Favre - Iron man, never missed a game, threw lots of picks and text'd dicks, won us a superbowl
Bart Starr - if you have to ask you are no football fan
Aaron Rodgers - Highest skilled football play I've ever had the joy of watching, won us a superbowl
Reggie White - Made the Packers relevant again
Curly Lambeau - Player, coach, manager, dude did it all and won at nearly everything.

Honorable mention: Vince Lombardi because he Transends any OP rules

Last edited:
You didn't read the OP lol, because you'd know that owners and coaches are to be excluded. And on top of that you've included 5 people when Mount Rushmore's only have 4. What's worrying is that your occupation is 'journalist' on your profile.

It's our Rushmore we shall do what the fuck we want with it sir.

Can nobody read on this forum lol? PLAYERS ONLY and justifications for your choices. What do you like about a specific player, is it their Super Bowls, numbers, flashy play or character?

Brady, Gronkowski, Belichick, and the last spot can be Edelman, Mr Big Chest, Malcom Butler or Gilmore.

Edit: Throw Kraft on there too gettin a tuggy or something, love that man
Edit 2: Go fuck yourself OP ya fuckin chowder head, Giants can eat my fucking ass
Tom Brady Reaction GIF by New England Patriots
I'm aware that you might be a generational Patriots fan but the fact you have Malcolm Butler or Gilmore on your Mount Rushmore shows you know little about the team's history. Go back and watch John Hannah, Andre Tippet, Sam "Bam" Cunningham and Mike Haynes. Guys who put their careers down for New England and led them to a Super Bowl appearance you bandwagoner! Also I don't know what a chowder head is, I'm not American.

Bruce Smith
Jim Kelly
Thurman Thomas
OJ Simpson
Josh Allen
Can't argue with this one, but Josh Allen after a couple seasons?

Packers

Brett Favre - Iron man, never missed a game, threw lots of picks and text'd dicks, won us a superbowl
Bart Starr - if you have to ask you are no football fan
Aaron Rodgers - Highest skilled football play I've ever had the joy of watching, won us a superbowl
Reggie White - Made the Packers relevant again
Curly Lambeau - Player, coach, manager, dude did it all and won at nearly everything.

Honorable mention: Vince Lombardi because he Transends any OP rules
That Brett Favre one was first lmao. "threw lots of picks and text'd dicks" :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You can't really put Reggie White on your list though, he's a Philadelphia Eagle in heart but to each their own.

I'm aware that you might be a generational Patriots fan but the fact you have Malcolm Butler or Gilmore on your Mount Rushmore shows you know little about the team's history. Go back and watch John Hannah, Andre Tippet, Sam "Bam" Cunningham and Mike Haynes. Guys who put their careers down for New England and led them to a Super Bowl appearance you bandwagoner! Also I don't know what a chowder head is, I'm not American.

Butler and Gilmore were pretty key in part of the GREATEST SPORTS DYNASTY EVER.

Old folks talkin bout "Back in my day..."
But homie this is my day.

Spygate reference shows you know nothing of the team's history. They literally taped a hundred feet away from where Goodells memo said to. Literally every team recorded the others sideline. The Pats did it in the wrong spot to spite Goodell, and so they lost all their film they had acquired while everyone else kept their film.

Let's be real, Patriots and their fans are the most victimized and hated on group of people in the country, with the exception of the white male of course.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Can't argue with this one, but Josh Allen after a couple seasons?

That Brett Favre one was first lmao. "threw lots of picks and text'd dicks" :messenger_tears_of_joy:. You can't really put Reggie White on your list though, he's a Philadelphia Eagle in heart but to each their own.

Reggie's move to the Packers in free agency literally made the team relevant again, he had such a huge impact on the organization I feel it would be disingenuous to not have him there. He was so good he deserves to be on both the Pack and Eagles mountains.

Butler and Gilmore were pretty key in part of the GREATEST SPORTS DYNASTY EVER.

Old folks talkin bout "Back in my day..."
But homie this is my day.

Spygate reference shows you know nothing of the team's history. They literally taped a hundred feet away from where Goodells memo said to. Literally every team recorded the others sideline. The Pats did it in the wrong spot to spite Goodell, and so they lost all their film they had acquired while everyone else kept their film.

Let's be real, Patriots and their fans are the most victimized and hated on group of people in the country, with the exception of the white male of course.
New England was going to win that Super Bowl regardless of Gilmore being there or not. Butler on the other hand deserves to in the conversation due to the Seahawks not running the ball, but even that is one play. As for Spygate I was being tongue in cheek about the whole matter, the Patriots are victimized because they're known to bend the rules as much as possible to the point it's in bad taste. You can talk about Spygate, taping the Eagles, Deflategate and all that, but what I'm talking about are things like the multiple false starts Belichick put on the Jets, taking forever to throw the challenge flag against Minnosta to eat up the clock. Shit like that just annoys the fuck out of me, but it was all karma when Tenessese did the same to them and old Billy started to complain.

Reggie's move to the Packers in free agency literally made the team relevant again, he had such a huge impact on the organization I feel it would be disingenuous to not have him there. He was so good he deserves to be on both the Pack and Eagles mountains.
uLd7XH_qCjN4yJoYuL5zvQoISotvXFqxQmnPQPzpEDOiC7_luxjzJzwn2ZVv7y54OYccjZT0z1Ip0QhmId3tHzECHrKJ888edn70PUbmbEywpJPqmeY1HXsuLG2vLgxurysELAQPciZ9L8Dg_I2TcVVLnfnyjXaG_LhVtUkMJY0ZDWrONFd4KQ

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
From my personal watching (from 1998ish or so on).

Seahawks:

1) Ricky Watters - I FUCKING LOVED watching him run, and he would have had 3000 yard seasons if he had the offensive line Shaun Alexander had
2) Russell Wilson - for most of his career I never really considered him "elite," but in the past year or two I've begun to realize why: it was because it became expected that he would pull off magic. I forgot that it actually isn't supposed to happen as much as it does with him.
3) Walter Jones
4) Marcus Trufant/Richard Sherman/Kam Chancellor - I can't pick

From my personal watching (from 1998ish or so on).

Seahawks:

1) Ricky Watters - I FUCKING LOVED watching him run, and he would have had 3000 yard seasons if he had the offensive line Shaun Alexander had
2) Russell Wilson - for most of his career I never really considered him "elite," but in the past year or two I've begun to realize why: it was because it became expected that he would pull off magic. I forgot that it actually isn't supposed to happen as much as it does with him.
3) Walter Jones
4) Marcus Trufant/Richard Sherman/Kam Chancellor - I can't pick
Cortez Kennedy is one that could go as the fourth selection. Ricky Watters on the hand spent most of his career in San Francisco and then bounced as soon as they won the Super Bowl to Philadelphia lol.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You chose a wide receiver from Buffalo's history and didn't choose Andre Reed?!

I actually think Moulds was better, he just had horrific QBs and teams throughout his career...

Kelly, Collins, Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, and Kelly Holcomb.

Plus, I've heard a ton of stories around Buffalo suggesting Andre Reed is a douche in person.

I actually think Moulds was better, he just had horrific QBs and teams throughout his career...

Kelly, Collins, Flutie, Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, and Kelly Holcomb.

Plus, I've heard a ton of stories around Buffalo suggesting Andre Reed is a douche in person.
You make a valid point, though Jim Kelly, Flutie and Bledsoe were still good QBs during Mould's tenure. Flutie led the team to the postseason and Bledsoe could still play, though they ran constantly ran into the Patriots. Andre Reed a douche eh? Makes him losing those four Super Bowls that much sweeter and one to us!

Cortez Kennedy is one that could go as the fourth selection. Ricky Watters on the hand spent most of his career in San Francisco and then bounced as soon as they won the Super Bowl to Philadelphia lol.
Yeah Cortez would be a good choice, but personally I don't have much of a memory of him for some reason. I fully get that Watters stint in Seattle was very short, but he left such an impression on me that I have to put him on the list lol. I watched football when I was younger but I didn't pick a team until around '98, so he is still one of the first players that comes to mind when I think Seahawks.

Surprised that I haven’t seen Bucyou in this thread as he was all up TB12’s ass during Super Bowl week. And what about that Chicago Bears avatar member?

Bucyou has better things to attend to than to post what we already know: Tom Brady is the greatest quarterback in the history of the NFL.

Dallas-Cowboys-Logo-500x313.png

1. Emmitt Smith

2. Roger Staubach

3. Bob Lily

4. Michael Irvin
0dcd3033a8ecaa55e41c93f9843ea2f3.gif

I’m one of those many people who absolutely hates the Dallas Cowboys. From the team owner all the way toilet cleaner, they can all eat a fat one and die. They don’t belong in the division and they don’t deserve the moniker “America’s Team” either.

Minnesota Vikings Mount Rushmore:

Until we win something that matters, it's empty to me.
You’re incredibly shallow then because there have been some great players who have carried and sacrificed for the Vikings franchise. A prime example is Adrian Peterson who went off multiple times with Christian Ponder as his quarterback. Put that man on your Mount Rushmore now!!!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
0dcd3033a8ecaa55e41c93f9843ea2f3.gif

I’m one of those many people who absolutely hates the Dallas Cowboys. From the team owner all the way toilet cleaner, they can all eat a fat one and die. They don’t belong in the division and they don’t deserve the moniker “America’s Team” either.
I watched part of the Thursday opener. I watched some of the Bills' opener last Sunday. Today I watched part of the Bills-Miami game. I did not watch any of the 4:30 game and am watching Columbo right now instead of SNF. When I saw "Black Lives Matter" in the Miami endzone today that was it for me and that game.

In years past I would be glued to these games. No more. **** the NFL.

I watched part of the Thursday opener. I watched some of the Bills' opener last Sunday. Today I watched part of the Bills-Miami game. I did not watch any of the 4:30 game and am watching Columbo right now instead of SNF. When I saw "Black Lives Matter" in the Miami endzone today that was it for me and that game.

In years past I would be glued to these games. No more. **** the NFL.
You were watching the football games of other teams? That’s something I really wouldn’t do other than those in the NFC East and the teams we’ll have to deal with playoff time. As for the Black Lives Matter in the end zone, I don’t see a problem with that.

greyshark

Surprised that I haven’t seen Bucyou in this thread as he was all up TB12’s ass during Super Bowl week. And what about that Chicago Bears avatar member?

I’m about to enter hibernation as the Bears are about to embarrass themselves for another year after bottoming out behind Andy Dalton.

Mount Rushmore for the Bears is a tough one - so many great players in their history.

Walter Payton - Greatest RB of all time

George Halas - Technically he was a player too! You can’t talk about the Bears without mentioning Halas, his impact to the Bears and the NFL is enormous. His name is on the uniform to this day.

Dick Butkus - The most feared man in the NFL and possibly the greatest Bears LB of all time (which is saying something with the number of Bears LBs in the HOF)

Bronco Nagurski - Part of the Bears dominance i the 30s, two way threat, one of the charter members of the NFL Hall of Fame.

You’ll notice these guys are all nowhere close to present day players as this franchise has been a joke for 30 years.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Patriots:
Tom Brady
John Hannah
Andre Tippet
Ty Law

Any Patriots list that leaves off Hannah should Immediately be disqualified.

bucyou

since OP cant provide receipts bucyou was up tom bradys ass for a week, ill just provide a list

leeroy selmon
derrick brooks
warren sapp
tom brady

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Baker Mayfield is supposed to be Bernie 2.0 the problem with the Browns is only one player ever is in discussion and that’s Jim Brown I guarantee you nobody can name another Brown player.

baker.jpg

He’s played enough games with professional grown men and has become a force in the NFL.
Jim-Brown.jpg
peyton-hillis-madden-cover.jpg
usa_today_11354259.1538774616.jpg
qb-bernie-kosar-1985-first-round-browns_pg_600.jpg

I’m about to enter hibernation as the Bears are about to embarrass themselves for another year after bottoming out behind Andy Dalton.

Mount Rushmore for the Bears is a tough one - so many great players in their history.

Walter Payton - Greatest RB of all time

George Halas - Technically he was a player too! You can’t talk about the Bears without mentioning Halas, his impact to the Bears and the NFL is enormous. His name is on the uniform to this day.

Dick Butkus - The most feared man in the NFL and possibly the greatest Bears LB of all time (which is saying something with the number of Bears LBs in the HOF)

Bronco Nagurski - Part of the Bears dominance i the 30s, two way threat, one of the charter members of the NFL Hall of Fame.

You’ll notice these guys are all nowhere close to present day players as this franchise has been a joke for 30 years.
I’m a huge Barry Sanders fan, so those words about Walter Payton being the best running back evokes some feelings. Dick Butkus is the greatest linebacker in Bears history and second overall to LT. Bronko on the other hand didn’t play many seasons for Chicago, Singletary and Urlacher did more for the franchise.

greyshark

I’m a huge Barry Sanders fan, so those words about Walter Payton being the best running back evokes some feelings. Dick Butkus is the greatest linebacker in Bears history and second overall to LT. Bronko on the other hand didn’t play many seasons for Chicago, Singletary and Urlacher did more for the franchise.

Nagurski played his entire NFL career with the Bears - 9 seasons winning 3 NFL Championships. He was a key member of those teams and helped establish the Bears as one of the premier franchises in the NFL. I love Singletary but would not put him on Nagurski or Butkus' level in terms of impact to the franchise. And Urlacher (who I am a huge fan of and the only one of these players I got to watch for his entire career) is a step below both IMO.

All great players (and why the Bears Rushmore is so hard to pick), but the greatest impacts to the franchise were closer to the beginning of the NFL.

Neil Young

How can you fellow Pats fans leave off:

Adam Vinatieri? The horror.

Goat of course.

Gronk of course.

Then Tony Eason to round it off because you have to have balance.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
500px-Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png

1. Don Shula - he is the best coach
2. Larry Csonka
3. Garo Yupremium
4. Dan Marino/Bob Greise

Patriots:
Tom Brady
John Hannah
Andre Tippet
Ty Law

Any Patriots list that leaves off Hannah should Immediately be disqualified.
Can’t disagree with this list and I’m not even a Patriots fan. Hannah, Tippet and Sam Cunningham played their hearts out for New England and lead them to a Super Bowl berth. Mike Haynes could also make the cut.
since OP cant provide receipts bucyou was up tom bradys ass for a week, ill just provide a list

leeroy selmon
derrick brooks
warren sapp
tom brady
You provided the biggest receipt of being up TB12’s shitter because you put him on Tampa Bay’s Mount Rushmore despite being there only a single season. Yes they won a Super Bowl but Jamais put up historic numbers with that offence, all they needed was a QB who didn’t turn the ball over.

Ronde Barber made the crucial play which sent Tampa to the Super Bowl against Philadelphia and Simeon Rice put in work. Those are 2 names who deserve to be on the list. I’m a Brady fan too, but get them buts outta your mouth.

Baker Mayfield is supposed to be Bernie 2.0 the problem with the Browns is only one player ever is in discussion and that’s Jim Brown I guarantee you nobody can name another Brown player.
baker.jpg

He’s played enough games with professional grown men and has become a force in the NFL.
Jim-Brown.jpg
peyton-hillis-madden-cover.jpg
usa_today_11354259.1538774616.jpg
qb-bernie-kosar-1985-first-round-browns_pg_600.jpg
Kosar nearly lead Cleveland to the Super Bowl whereas Baker can’t even lead the team to the playoffs 😂.

500px-Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png

1. Don Shula - he is the best coach
2. Larry Csonka
3. Garo Yupremium
4. Dan Marino/Bob Greise
Dude how many times must I say it? No coaches, managers or other personnel. Players only, so Shula can’t go on. I don’t even know who Garo is and I’d put Marino over Greise. Notable exclusions are Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Dude how many times must I say it? No coaches, managers or other personnel. Players only, so Shula can’t go on. I don’t even know who Garo is and I’d put Marino over Greise. Notable exclusions are Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas.
You can say it a bunch, but the Dolphins aren't the dolphins without Shula. He is most likely the thing people think about when they hear Miami Dolphins.

You could do it this way,
1. Csonka
2. Taylor
3. Thomas
4. Greise

Then Shula above them all on his own mountain like Crazy Horse.

DESTROYA

He’s played enough games with professional grown men and has become a force in the N
Are you ever going to make any sense?
Serious question? What else do you expect professional football players to play against ? Toddlers ..The Jr. high varsity.
You are right about one thing the Browns suck so bad nobody remembers anything about them.

Top Bottom