• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite main menus in video games.

So I'm pretty tired of the constant console wars that has engulfed GAF in the recent months, i even made a thread about it and many suggested that i (and others who share my POV) should be the change i wish, so in the spirit of that i was inspired by a recent video/gif of one my favorite games main menu.

The great Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver:

This scared the shit out of me as a 10 YO kid, i remember my brother got the game thinking it was like Resident Evil but was disappointed it wasn't and returned it and i didn't find how great it was until 2002.

The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel I&II:

I love how the main menu changes as your party grows and especially in 2 where it shows different locals and party composition as the plot goes on add to that the great music and I'm pumped to start the game.

Show me your favorites GAF.

Last edited:

Taylor Swift GIF by The Voice

Kuranghi

It should be noted that you control the transitions by changing menus, so you can make it play out at whatever speed you want but the best part is that as you beat the bosses in the game it adds them into the list of enemies that appear on the final screen before it goes back to Batman on the gargoyle. So it was Tyger guard in this video but it could've been many other baddies.

Fucking excellent, probably the best ever imo.

I don't care what Obsidian drones say FO4 is a fantastic game with great exploration and fun gunplay.

B-but w-what about multiple routs and factions? What about the PC being voiced and limiting the choices? W-what about it being just Skyrim with a different skin? w-w-w-w-w-...

wdnc09nivtmz.jpg

I love FONV but the hate for anything that's not just a carbon copy of it is annoying.

Isa

Gold Member
I liked the Chronicles of Riddick og Xbox main menu, that was pretty swell. Currently really digging the main menu from MH Rise, the music is great, when I'm not playing the game my girl will still just let the game idle or leave it at the mm lol.

Handel

I would just start up Kingdom Hearts 1 sometimes to look at it's title screen and listen to that version of Dearly Beloved(with waves!), and if you let it sit it would play an amazing intro vid with an orchestral version of Hikari/Simple and Clean. It's not complex like the ones that change over time, but there is beauty in It's simplicity, and a ton of nostalgia :

zcaa0g

Banned
Unreal Tournament 1 just because of the efficient and logical UI. I couldn't care less about the visual aspect of main menus.

lachesis

Skies of Arcadia
Pretty simple and some may say boring, but it has good contrast to the opening demo, which is more cheery and adventure like Dragon Quest, then it goes to this symphonic one like FF.

Persona 5.
I like Persona 5 title menu much better than Persona 5 Royal TBH. Much more dynamic and conveys the theme of subway/mementos - than just Shibuya etc.

Generally Persona 5's menu/UX design oozes with such style - my favorite being Iwai & Takemi's animated themes in the background. Pretty cool stuff. Often times, the UX seem overly flashy - but it's actually laid out pretty straightforward and not visually distracting in most cases. Some of the added functions in P5R though, felt like it was more of an add-on to the existing design, and I remember some feeling a bit out of place. (Trait location, could have been more centralized along with the abilities/stats - but I guess they really didn't have much room left for those)

Last edited:

small_law

I don't remember that one, do you have a video/gif of it? All i remember is a static screen with the logo and that killer OST.
If you search for a video on YouTube called "Final Fantasy XIll gameplay (tutorial, menu, setting) PS3 HD" you'll see it. Like lightning slightly turning her head. It was just this nice little touch.

If you can't find it, they were the exact opposite of the overwrought, self-indulgent and pretentious menus from Gran Turismo 5.

Wiktor

First Mafia. Nothing comes close to me.

One of the few things that were worse in Definitive Editon remake was the menu

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
I wish the developers of Enclave had spent less time on over-complicating the menu graphics and more on making a better game. At least it does have an awesome menu.

Top Bottom