• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite FMV game

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all of these are really charming in a b-movie way. in fact i would say FMV is the 90s equivelant of the 70s exploitation b-movie/z-movie. lots of corny acting. lots of screaming into the camera. cheesy as hell stuff. if i had a hipster movie night i would definitely screen FMVs for fun.

i absolutely love the intro to Crime Patrol. looks like a handful of dudes got their friends together and tried making a 70's cop tv show on zero budget.

ManaByte

s-l400.jpg

It's also on PC. Had the cast of the series in it.

ShadowNate

I used to like Privateer 2 (Clive Owen!) but eh I don't know if it holds up anymore. Not the movie bits but the rest of the gameplay seems it's not going to be as tolerable as it used to.

Other good ones were Gabriel Knight 2, Noctropolis, and Dracula Unleashed.

There have been some recent revival attempts of the genre.
I did like Contradiction, even though it was kind of short.
Also Her Story was quite alright.
And The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker was pretty engaging if a bit too experimental and somewhat inconsistent in the story choices.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have a soft spot for Supreme Warrior since it was the last thing filmed in the old Shaw Brothers "Shaw Town" backlot. Probably my favorite one is Corpse Killer though.

Just FYI if you have a PS4, a few of the FMV games like Corpse Killer and Night Trap got pretty nice 25th anniversary editions.

was Supreme Warrior the first person fighting game on Sega CD?

I've never played a good one. I've played good games from the time where they put FMV segments into games that didn't need them - Need for Speed on 3D0, Road Rash on 3D0 and Resident Evil on PS1.

nkarafo

Yumemi Mystery Mansion for Mega CD.

Edit: Pal version of Mansion of Hidden Souls.

Last edited:

Quasicat

7th Guest
I finally got to play this years later on my iPad. I remember getting really excited that it could come to SEGA CD, then I got really excited that Nintendo bought the console exclusive so that is would come to their new CD add on.

It was several years later, in an interview with the creators of the game, that I found out that Nintendo had no real intention in allowing its release and was just trying to block any release on the SEGA CD.

Spokker

The only FMV game I really played a lot back in the day was D on PlayStation. Other than that they had a bad reputation even then. I never had a Sega CD and by the time PlayStation came out, there was a lot of talk about hoping they would avoid releasing a lot of FMV games on PS1.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Phantasmagoria, some really awful puzzles in it though.
To this day I still have nightmares about it.

reinking

Gold Member
A lot of great memories in this thread. I can't say Night Trap was the best but I am going to go with it since it stands out as one of the most controversial games for its time.

hlm666

Psycho Killer on Amiga CDTV

I can't say that with a straight face ;) So my real answer is M.A.C.H 3 arcade machine.

Quasicat

But I also have fond memories of this, probably my 2nd favourite one:

There are three Journeyman Project games? I loved the first one, especially the way it opened up.

I finally gave Burn.Cycle a shot this week and it’s really good as well! I wish some of these would get ports like Ground Zero Texas and Night Trap received.

intbal

Spycraft: The Great Game

The praise for this game was off the charts in the 90s. All the gaming media unanimously agreed it was the greatest game of its kind. Maybe the greatest game in this style that could possibly be made.
But I've never met anyone who actually played it. An early example of compromised gaming journalism?
I always wanted to give it a try. Maybe I'll dust off the ol' Win98 box and have a go.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't think this counts since the FMV was only used in cutscenes, but man, Jedi Knight had some cringe-kino in there.

Krathoon

Spycraft: The Great Game

The praise for this game was off the charts in the 90s. All the gaming media unanimously agreed it was the greatest game of its kind. Maybe the greatest game in this style that could possibly be made.
But I've never met anyone who actually played it. An early example of compromised gaming journalism?
I always wanted to give it a try. Maybe I'll dust off the ol' Win98 box and have a go.

Don't you have to call phone numbers in that game? I assume they are not still active.

They got the game on gog for $6. I went ahead and bought it. Some head of the CIA was involved with it. So, some of it might be a little too on the nose.

Krathoon

To this day I still have nightmares about it.
Both of the games in the series had some really disturbing scenes. Especially, what the magician did to his wives.

Krathoon

There was also Angel Devoid. I have that somewhere. I remember it being kind of short or maybe I was crappy at it. I think it was one of those where you could die easily.

Also, don't forget the later Wing Commander games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom