• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have a one-way time machine. Which gaming era would you go to?

Eimran

Gaming has gone through quite some generations and has yet many to come.

Each generation brings new concepts: IP's, better graphics, innovation, online gaming, streaming etc.

If you could only experience one more era which one would it be? And why? So not because it's nostalgic etc. But rather why would you like to spend the rest of your gaming experience in this timeline.

My answer: PS2/XBOX/gamecube-gen aka the 6th generation.

Reasons why I liked it:
Gaming is booming in this gen
Constant new IP's
Microsoft's entrance to this industry drives Sony and Nintendo to a competitieve max
You need to wait two years max for a sequel of a game you like.
No day one patches or woke shit
Official gaming magazines
Game boxes come with a 30 page manual etc.
Games come in full form. Not the 20% without a paywall
E3 is in its glory.
EA and Ubisoft release Kickass games ( the more older gamers will understand.)

Where would you go?

Gamerguy84

Most favorite time was thr Commodore Vic 20 and C64. We had meetings every Wednesday night at a community center and copied each other's games than went home and played.

Also I changed sprites on a space invader game to look like a penis, everyone got a laugh.

Don't get me wrong my favorite console of all time was/is PS4 but I was very young and it was a lot of fun.

I have great gaming time through out the years but that doesn't mean I need to re-live the past.

This. Plus, I can think of more important things one could do with a Time Machine. Help my family when they needed it most would be my goal. maybe change for the better an incident that should never have happened in the first place, and hopefully save Dad's life.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wut? Just get a PC, plays everything from every era at will, without going back to a time before the internet or whatever and being unable to play everything newer than. The only reason to actually go back in time is to kill Hitler or stop yourself from proposing or something along those lines.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The current one, because it's the best it has ever been. You have access to every console released to date. Why would you want to exclude more recent consoles?

PhaseJump

Banned
This one.

tumblr_oaydo3x1b51trbh6do1_400.gifv

If I understand the premise of the thread correctly, we have to pick one generation and then stick with it forever?

I'd pick the current gen (XSX, PS5, Switch, everything released on PC from 2020 to 2027 or so) and hope it's not shit.

It'd mean I would still have a lot to look forward to for the next couple years, and gaming is probably at its peak right now which means we gonna see hundreds upon hundreds of games being released.

Also there's a good chance that a bunch of "forever games" get released. One is already coming out soon (Diablo 2 Resurrected).

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’d fast forward 10 years and play the games of the future, and have a nice backlog of (hopefully) classics to catch up on. Hopefully the “woke” storm will have passed by then and games will just be games again.

Stuart360

The 90's, the 16bit and 32bit days.
Basically with the 16bit gen you had the pinnacle of 2D gaming, and with the 32bit gen you had the emergence of 3D, and all the problems that brought, the imagination, the risks taken, the experimentation.

I love gaming today as much as the next guy, but the 16bit and 32bit gens will always be the 'Golden Age' of gaming for me.

Assuming I would progress through time again.... I would love to relive the transition of the atari into 8 bit days of my childhood, the 16 bit edgy boom, and the Playstation making gaming for adults outside the pc. I agree with those that said 96-2000 was like the best . We all still play those franchise or ones born from it. Quake , Diablo, starcraft, half life, mgs, ff 7, 8, 9, etc , it would take all day to list... the rise of 3d acceleration and tcp/ip gaming and all much more, along with the multimedia console era and the advent of DVD video and game media.

But uh... can I please be the age I was then? I'm already old I don't want to be like retired when ps5 comes out...

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Either the SNES (to play all those RPG's everyone keeps raving about) or the PS2. I stuck mainly with Nintendo stuff during the SNES, and the Gamecube was my primary platform in that era. I only played GTA (all 3), Metal Gear Solid 2, and Final Fantasy X on the PS2, after it dropped below $200. But damn, was GTA awesome and worth the price alone.

Zero7

PS1-N64 era. we were going from 2D to 3D era. I was only a young kid back then.sure the graphics look ass now, but back then shit blew my mind

Liljagare

I would go back in time to 1987 and give myself all my money in gold, so I could just play Dungeon Master by FTL for my entire life.. :p

I still fire it up in emulators to this day.

lachesis

I will save the opportunity till my death or time I can't play games no longer... and skip to the future for stuff that I would miss out due to my own death... then I'll die. :)
Imagine if that game became a cliff hanger or unclear like Shenmue series...

Bartski

Gold Member
obviously as far into the future as possible, how can anyone even consider going backwards a better option.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
2005. I want to relive the glory days of World of Warcraft. Before social media. Before streamer cunts. Bliss.

Schmick

I had some epic times playing Counter Strike 1.6/Source and Battlefield 2 and would love to go back in time to experience that again but ultimately I'm excited for the future.

Kokoloko85

Between 1996- 2003

Fighting games like Street fighter Alpha 2 & 3, Xmen vs Street fighter and the other cross overs, Tekken, SNK vs Capcom. WWF No Mercy. Power Stone. Virtual Fighter

Games Like Metal Gear Solid 1&2, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Zero and Remake. Onimisha. Devil May Cry.

Guardian Heroes, CastleVania Symphony of the Night, Shen Mue, Mario 64, Zelda OOT. Dues Ex. Halo 1. Metroid Prime. Mario Sunshine

RPG’s like Final Fantasy 7,8,9, 10 & Tactics. Suikoden 1&2. Xenogears. Panzer Dragoon Saga. Shining force 3. Star Wars Knights of the Old republic

cireza

Banned
I would go back to the 90s, to enjoy MegaDrive and Saturn all over again.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The 5th Generation.

:messenger_ok:

You can't beat the trio of PlayStation, Saturn, and Nintendo 64. It was a groundbreaking time in the industry.

Plus, you know, 1998...

- Rogue Squadron
- Grim Fandago
- Fallout 2
- Unreal
- Tomb Raider III
- Parasite Eve
- Turok 2
- Xenogears
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Pokemon Red/Blue
- Shining Force III
- Radiant Silvergun
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Spyro
- Burning Rangers
- Myth II Soulblighter
- Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- F-Zero X
- Tenchu Steath Assassins
- Starsiege Tribes
- Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus
- Thief the Dark Project
-Ocarina of Time
-Metal Gear Solid
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Megaman Legends
-Suikoden II

Last edited:

Vagswarm

What is the reason for no longer being able to experience games after the era ends?
It's not the same when certain games create trends, and the technology is longer as impressive. I can see why people love Chrono Trigger, having played it on Steam for the first time recently, but I can only imagine how incredible it must have been at that particular time. A lot of the mechanics in Ocarina of Time have since become the norm. Etc... It's the whole package.

+ in Sony's case, they haven't offered a way to play PS1 and PS2 games at all. I still never played the original Metal Gear Solid.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

The 5th Generation.

:messenger_ok:

You can't beat the trio of PlayStation, Saturn, and Nintendo 64. It was a groundbreaking time in the industry.

Plus, you know, 1998...

- Rogue Squadron
- Grim Fandago
- Fallout 2
- Unreal
- Tomb Raider III
- Parasite Eve
- Turok 2
- Xenogears
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Pokemon Red/Blue
- Shining Force III
- Radiant Silvergun
- Panzer Dragoon Saga
- Spyro
- Burning Rangers
- Myth II Soulblighter
- Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- F-Zero X
- Tenchu Steath Assassins
- Starsiege Tribes
- Oddworld Abe’s Exoddus
- Thief the Dark Project
-Ocarina of Time
-Metal Gear Solid
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Megaman Legends
-Suikoden II
Mighty fine list... but how did you forget Half Life and StarCraft? Two of the best games!

Duchess

Are we allowed to go into the future?

If so, I could jump forward 8 years to do the PS6 generation.

Or maybe even be a complete git and just go forward 1 month, so I can get everything 30 days earlier than the rest of you lot :)

Rickyiez

I already have the Time Machine. It's called PC and it's not one time.

I mean I can still play Starcraft 1 with buddies

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Wut? Just get a PC, plays everything from every era at will, without going back to a time before the internet or whatever and being unable to play everything newer than. The only reason to actually go back in time is to kill Hitler or stop yourself from proposing or something along those lines.

Or to avoid the worst timeline, stopping yourself from proposing to Hitler.

Top Bottom