• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Can Play The Last Of Us 2 On Base PS4 With Unlocked Frame rate

On Demand

Banned
I discovered this by accident while playing around with the display settings. For some reason when you reset the settings it unlocks the frame rate. I reset my settings by mistake and was surprised to see that the frame rate got smoother. I thought the motion blur settings broke or something.

When you go into the display menu it should say “reset to defaults.” That option should be available even if everything is already at default settings. If you don’t see the option then try changing a setting then reset. Not sure which way is suppose to work or if it even matters. When i start my game the option to reset settings is always there regardless if all settings are at 10.

I don’t know why doing this makes the frame rate unlock. It must be a glitch. Maybe something leftover from the 60fps PS5 patch. The fans even speed up after you reset the settings because the frame rate is increased. If i had to guess i would say it hovers around the 40’s and 50’s fps. Staying on the high frame rate side in smaller areas.

Note that when going back to the main menu and starting the game again, the frame rate stays unlocked. If you close the game entirely and start again, it goes back to the normal frame rate and you’ll have to reset the display settings again to unlock it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Damn. I wish i didnt uninstall the game on PS5 last night because id love to try this on the PS5 and see if I can run this above 60 fps.

If the base PS4 is running this at 1080p 40-50 fps then the PS5 should be able to run it around 90 FPS at Pro settings.

SlimySnake

I'd highly advise against this, sounds like a major bug/oversight and it's probably not healthy for your PS4 to run this game unlocked. I'd try to let naughty dog know.
Every PS4 has a built in auto shutdown if it gets too hot. If the game shuts down then fine, dont use this mode but otherwise there is nothing wrong with maxing out a GPU.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OP says the fans get louder, the system will run hotter, which may not be good if the game isn't designed to push the console that way.
I would expect it's no different than when the fans kick up in menus and the like since that is when some devs forget to lock down the framerate. Hence one of the PS5s smartshift profiles Cerny explained in the GDC talk.

On Demand

Banned
I'd highly advise against this, sounds like a major bug/oversight and it's probably not healthy for your PS4 to run this game unlocked. I'd try to let naughty dog know.

Consoles are built with overheating taking into account. Every electronic device is.

I’ve been playing the game for hours with the frame rate unlocked. Nothing out of the ordinary is happening. Fans speed up and down like with any other game.

On Demand

Banned
Damn. I wish i didnt uninstall the game on PS5 last night because id love to try this on the PS5 and see if I can run this above 60 fps.

If the base PS4 is running this at 1080p 40-50 fps then the PS5 should be able to run it around 90 FPS at Pro settings.

Good point. With an un capped frame rate the game can probably run higher than 60fps on PS5.

Didn’t something similar happen with the return to Arkham collection? They updated the game to lock the frame rate afterwards.

Though with TLOU2 it clearly wasn’t suppose to be on PS4 seeing what you have to do to unlock it.

FrankWza

Nioh menu is unlocked and had this happen every time and did no damage. Just got loud from the fans kicking in.

lachesis

That's actually pretty neat find tbh!

Poor PS4, working overtime.

If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

But am amazed that the base PS4 can run it like 40-50fps if true.
It's rather surprising how one get so used to the quiet next gen consoles...
that even though my PS4 Pro wasn't exceptionally loud (later model) - or not as loud as I thought it would be, I enjoy my PS5 and XSX for how quiet they are.

SlimySnake

Getting to that shutdown temperature zone is also pretty damaging.
Nah. Again, the consoles have had these auto shutdowns since the PS3 era. The whole idea is to shut down before any damage can occur.

Plenty of games run menus at unlocked framerates. See Horizon, COD, and Nioh like Frank mentioned above. Any 60 fps game that doesnt hit 60 fps on base PS4 like Battlefield which hovers around 45 fps is taxing the GPU just as much as this 'hack' in TLOU2.

The Arkham bit below is another good example.

Didn’t something similar happen with the return to Arkham collection? They updated the game to lock the frame rate afterwards.

Riky

$MSFT
I don't think this works on PS5 as the patch put a 60fps switch in the menu.
Also your green LG button just says "fixed" because PS5 doesn't support VRR still.
Maybe it works on PS4 Pro, I'll give it a try.

GymWolf

Ah yes, unlocked\uneven framerate, the uglier, slightly fatter sister of console "locked" 30 fps.

If there is something worse than playing in constant bullet time after a bath into molasses is playing with the framerate who constantly goes up and down like a rollercoster ALL THE FUCKING TIME, both equally vomit inducing.

tommib

Ah yes, unlocked\uneven framerate, the uglier, slightly fatter sister of console "locked" 30 fps.

If there is something worse than playing in constant bullet time after a bath into molasses is playing with the framerate who constantly goes up and down like a rollercoster ALL THE FUCKING TIME, both equally vomit inducing.
I actually love variable frame rates. I like to feel the engine and hardware being stretched out. “Oh, so if I look at this particular angle, frame rate really drops”. I know. I’m a weirdo.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Has anyone been able to verify this ? Would love to check on my Pro after work.

Eww, what is this, PC gaming?
PC gamers love low resolution, stutter and screen tearing, but they'll never tell you that.

Look, I play this game at 480p stretched because it makes the hit markers fatter and I get 1,126fps which makes my input lag like .023ms so I can take out my opponents the fastest. Just don't tell them that their internet connection negates all of that.

Well Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy Remastered are going to have a 1080p 120fps mode. So yes I'm sure that's possible.

It won't run above 60fps. The 120fps mode needs to be patched on PS5 games.

SlimySnake

Well Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy Remastered are going to have a 1080p 120fps mode. So yes I'm sure that's possible.
yeah but it is thing at 1440p on the ps5 which is what the pro ran at. Doubt it is going to run at 120 fps at that resolution if this bugs unlocks the framerate on the ps5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OP says the fans get louder, the system will run hotter, which may not be good if the game isn't designed to push the console that way.
I don't think you can "damage" console with any game.
Even if it 's using 100% of cpu and gpu.. it's fine. It should do that.
It's not like one game using 100% of the gpu will produce more heat than other game running 100%

yeah but it is thing at 1440p on the ps5 which is what the pro ran at. Doubt it is going to run at 120 fps at that resolution if this bugs unlocks the framerate on the ps5.
No I think the pro ran them at 1800p, 30fps which is the checkerboard 4K solution.

The remastered versions are going to be...
Native 4K, 30fps
1800p,60fps checkerboard 4K
1080p, 120fps.

Top Bottom