• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YOU are Ken Kutaragi

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Keep the systems as is.

But change the marketing so before release says games can do 8k at 240 fps with a fancy PowerPoint slide that says the the TF is 10x what it really is (I’m on my phone and too lazy to find the slide where they promoted the PS3 gpu was 2 TF power in 2005).

It’ll generate hype and sales before DF breaks down the specs to see what it really is.

Last edited:

Crayon

PSVR2 has a tube that goes down your throat now. And a third controller that goes where the sun don't shine.

I can do anything I want. I am Ken Kutagari.

Aion002

I would call MS and ask them how much they would pay me to sabotage the whole thing...

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

:messenger_squinting_tongue:

Honestly? I would let Cerny do his thing...

It worked out great.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Never even took my stand out of the packaging. Ugly thing. Stands upright just fine!
I wouldn't trust it. The only thing holding those plates on is the pressure of plastic clips against plastic casing. There's a reason why they include a stand with grooves with the contour of the plates and a metal screw to hold everything in place. it's a gamble I wouldn't take with mine.

Crayon

I wouldn't trust it. The only thing holding those plates on is the pressure of plastic clips against plastic casing. There's a reason why they include a stand with grooves with the contour of the plates and a metal screw to hold everything in place. it's a gamble I wouldn't take with mine.

I like to live dangerously.

jm89

Here me out Cell emotion engine

Repurpose used ps2s and ps3s, so i don't end up bankrupting sony again.

Side mission find cerny and break his legs so he doesn't steal my job.

I would make sure the PS4 would have been made with the explosive energy of a dying star and 100 Tsar Bombas combined. Engineering would be made by every genius of the past, present and the future. The design of it would be presented by God itself in my dreams and I would spare no expense like John Hammond in Jurassic Park to make a console become so ethereal and legendary in history's lore, that even Ancient Greek God would cower in envy of my renown.

Then I would sell you the system, making sure you remortgage your house or put your rent money aside for just my pleasure because now I will forever have your admiration and love through my charisma. You will buy it and you will be happy because it was made by me. Future generations will revile anything that comes after; even the PS5. As time comes to pass and history ebbs and flows everyone else is forgotten while I sit atop my Island of wealth made by the money of my patrons with a cigar in my mouth.

I then look at the livestream camera and ask the audience: "Did you rike it?" right before I end the Stream while announcing the acquisition of Microsoft, Steam and Nintendo at the same time. Oh and I own Sony too now.

A more overt version of the SNES CD-ROM deal?

DaGwaphics

To start with, completely 100% custom designs with a focus on what hasn't been done before, preferably with a unique new program language. We won't worry about stupid things like performance testing or anything like that until we are almost finished. As long as it's fast and complex it's gotta be good right? As far as budgets, the hell with that, get a job or two extra and you won't have to think about things like that.

:ROFLMAO:

Ozzie666

It's pretty crazy that both Microsoft and Sony almost went with ARM processors. This X86 PC heaven would have never occurred, even if the Jaguar cores were terrible.

Some sort of PSP portable or extension of the main console like the Steam Deck, increase that echo system.

PaintTinJr

The PS4 design (and Xbox One) though a disappointing departure from highly capable CPUs with higher clocks was a constraint that couldn't be easily designed around IMO - while being constrained to go the APU route and stay below or around ~350watts and sell for $400 -turned out pretty balanced.

The biggest problem for that generation was the amount of texture data in games, causing game sizes to balloon beyond the bloated PS3 game sizes, that was the result of blu-ray proliferation in the PS3/360 gen. Install sizes, Load times were annoying, so the major changes I(as Ken) would have looked at to fight those issues, would have been to use two HDD bays, with a cheapest/smallest SSD in bay 1 (20GB in size) and a 120 or 240GB HDD in bay 2 for storage, and would then have offset this additional cost by lowering the RAM to 4GB or 6GB of GDDR5. The SSD being a large base technical spec gain would free up some memory reserved for the OS, and help loading and streaming of textures to lower memory needed. Because BC wasn't being offered, historical storage size from the previous gen could be safely ignored IMO.

The 1080p constraint that resulted from the emergence of 4K TVs (in 2013) making 720p too low a target resolution, means that my lowering texture quality (via the RAM reduction and storage reduction for games below a single sided blu-ray 25GB) would be a big problem, so to offset that issue, I would have built a custom ASIC within the Liverpool processor for hard shadow map generation - using the Carmack's reversal technique which is ideally suited to VR and high FPS - which would have freed up significant RAM normally needed for high quality (cascades of) shadow maps, and devs would have then used smaller shadow maps too, to augment those ASIC results to provide soft shadowing.

I would have also looked at another external ASIC that could programmatically have exclusive access to a portion of RAM, for on-the-fly texture generation in under 1 sec, encouraging developers to try and split their textures into two pools, one containing highly detailed unique textures - normal textures - and textures that could be made procedurally generated - probably from multi-layering procedural textures that the ASIC could generate directly into the portion of RAM.
The procedural tex-gen ASIC would lower loading times and memory requirements and potentially provide higher quality mips - via needing generating at 1:1 use scale - but this would come at the expense of more work for the artists and a loss in overall game image quality where more unique texturing was needed instead of lower frequency procedural substitutes.

I might also have considered halving the CPU core count and losing two CUs if it had allowed for reaching +3GHz on the remaining Jaguar cores, especially if it resulted in more L2 cache per core on the remaining cores. The reduction in game data size should have reduced the need for as many CPU cores to decompress data and the inclusion of a dedicated shadow map ASIC should have freed up CU resources normally needed for shadow map generation and comparisons. As the generation progressed, I would expect the SSD to become the only storage in later models and reach a normal 250GB, 500GB at a cost affordable to ship in the PS4 product.

Probably not very Ken like, and would probably have been a disaster compared to what we actually got. I don't think smaller storage and less RAM would have been considered acceptable had the Xbox One launched as it did, although I think the higher CPU clocks versus less cores would have been more popular,

Kenpachii

PS5 demanded chiplet design with 2x ~10tflops rdna, dedicated physics chip and ai chip. CPU, anything 6 core 12 threads. Memory? 8gb ddr4, 8gb gddr6. Stock sata 3 ssd 500gb. Make a deal with steam to let it run on the box and make a deal with microsoft to make it run windows so it can be used for school / e sport etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom