• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YOU are Ken Kutaragi

solidus12

And the PlayStation division has tasked you to design the PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5.

You have a 400$ budget for the PS4 and 500$ for the PS5.

What will you focus on? How different will your console differ from the actual PS4/PS5 we got?

And more importantly, would you include a full hardware backwards compatibility.

Think like Crazy Ken, how exotic will your console architecture be and how difficult will it be to develop for?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The UI would basically be like The Matrix, except instead of fully-immersive VR that jacks directly into your brain stem, it would be menu-based and viewed on a tv screen.

It would have:
- 1 CPU with in-order execution, no cache (local memory only), and an 8192 bit vector unit
- dedicated physics simulation unit
- dedicated AI chip
- a cut down, last-gen Nvidia GPU
Each with their own separate memory pool.

It may take a while for devs to really master it, but man. 6-7 years into the generation, we will see some games that truly use the hardware.

EDIT: also forgot to mention, it will have 4 10Gb Ethernet ports and 4 HDMI 2.1 ports on the back. And a Batarang for a controller.

Last edited:

Ansphn

And the PlayStation division has tasked you to design the PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5.

What will you focus on? How different will your console differ from the actual PS4/PS5 we got?

And more importantly, would you include a full hardware backwards compatibility.

Think like Crazy Ken, how exotic will your console architecture be and how difficult will it be to develop for?
I would hire Mark Cerny to do it. He's doing a great job.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS4
-VGA and D-Terminal and DP outputs only
-240p Native, 480p support, 720p/1080i upscaling
-SACD, DVD-Audio and VCD support
-Native PSX, PSP AND PS2 Hardware support
-Custom CRT tv/monitors would be made to support the retro gaming market

PS4 PRO wouldn't exist, PSVR wouldn't exist

PS5 would be a Super Vita (switch clone) with docking support
All PS5 native games would be streamed via PS Now
Native vita cart support as well as UMD support
Native PS3 hardware, All PS3 and PS4 games Supported as well as MOVE
All western and euro studios shut down, Japanese games only

Just make sure it costs like 3x as much as an off-the-shelf x86 CPU while delivering a fraction of the performance in branchy, mostly single-threaded game code.
Single threaded code hasn't been a thing since the end of the ps3 era. What we need is an ultra hyper cache that is instantaneous, but only transfers 1mb at a time. A revolution in the emotional engine that jacks right into the psvr matrix!

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Single threaded code hasn't been a thing since the end of the ps3 era. What we need is an ultra hyper cache that is instantaneous, but only transfers 1mb at a time. A revolution in the emotional engine that jacks right into the psvr matrix!
I was thinking the exact same thing. With PCs and smartphones going to multi core multi thread designs, why, any day now programmers are gonna get really good at making games scale to infinite cores. Several years from now, the Universe Emulator CPU will be seen in hindsight as a true revolution.

OZ9000

Banned
Better design - make it rectangular, sleek and black with blue LED accents
Better GPU - Slap on an RTX 2080 Super or Ti
Removable AA batteries on the DualSense

My work is done.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
For ps4, axe the dumbass jaguar CPU and use an Intel instead. Gpu is equivalent to a GTX 780ti, keep everything else mostly the same. Bam no need for a dumbass pro version
As for ps5... I guess give it the GPU of the XsX. That's all I'd change honestly
PS4
-VGA and D-Terminal and DP outputs only
-240p Native, 480p support, 720p/1080i upscaling
-SACD, DVD-Audio and VCD support
-Native PSX, PSP AND PS2 Hardware support
-Custom CRT tv/monitors would be made to support the retro gaming market

PS4 PRO wouldn't exist, PSVR wouldn't exist

PS5 would be a Super Vita (switch clone) with docking support
All PS5 native games would be streamed via PS Now
Native vita cart support as well as UMD support
Native PS3 hardware, All PS3 and PS4 games Supported as well as MOVE
All western and euro studios shut down, Japanese games only
Ps5 doesn't sound that bad but dear god that ps4 concept is awful. It'd work for a classic console but it'd be a downgrade from the ps3 hardware wise
I agree with that Custom crt thing though

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Let me fixt this for you.

You have a multimillion dollar budget and a team of 50 people. you need a price point of $400, and you need to design a system that can turn a 20% margin with that margin. At the same time you need to produce state of the art graphics and include wifi and an optical drive. You also must work with manufacturing plants to understand what they can produce and at what rate in order to spin up at least one line to produce 1 million consoles prior to the launch date.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would change the styling. The worst part of the PS5 is the stupid wings and the look. I would remove internal batteries from controllers to eliminate some cost, and remove a complaint of all PS controllers, battery life. I would focus on Throughput of data, and processor calculations as well as heat dissipation. I would put in a larger fan to avoid the airline engine noise of the PS4. Work on making a system that runs silent.

sendit

Commit seppuku for the dishoner Sony has given to design a console with a limited budget. Ken's vision requires a second job to attain and decades of programming knowledge to develop for.

Fahdis

I would make sure the PS4 would have been made with the explosive energy of a dying star and 100 Tsar Bombas combined. Engineering would be made by every genius of the past, present and the future. The design of it would be presented by God itself in my dreams and I would spare no expense like John Hammond in Jurassic Park to make a console become so ethereal and legendary in history's lore, that even Ancient Greek God would cower in envy of my renown.

Then I would sell you the system, making sure you remortgage your house or put your rent money aside for just my pleasure because now I will forever have your admiration and love through my charisma. You will buy it and you will be happy because it was made by me. Future generations will revile anything that comes after; even the PS5. As time comes to pass and history ebbs and flows everyone else is forgotten while I sit atop my Island of wealth made by the money of my patrons with a cigar in my mouth.

I then look at the livestream camera and ask the audience: "Did you rike it?" right before I end the Stream while announcing the acquisition of Microsoft, Steam and Nintendo at the same time. Oh and I own Sony too now.

Last edited:

TheMan

Honestly if I was Ken I’d be rich. So, I’d probably say fuck PlayStation. I’d track down Hitomi Tanaka and pay her any amount for one night inside. Supposedly she only fucks Japanese guys so this would be my chance

Last edited:

coffinbirth

"In addition to our PS5 home console, here is the next generation of Playstation Portable"

maxresdefault.jpg

"Compatible with your existing PS4 digital library"

BOOM

cireza

Throw in random components while giving them names, like "Reality Processing Unit", and build all my marketing around it.

Let the developers figure out how to make games with it, it's their job after all.

Last edited:

Pejo

You mean I get to experience this euphoria?
odOm7qh.jpg

Realistically there was really nothing he could have done. The focus on PS4 was to make it a machine easier to develop for, which has basically pushed the "It's a PC but....." angle.

If Crazy Ken really had superpowers, he would need to fight ballooning game budgets and design by committee games, and make sure that gaming never went mainstream to begin with. Then actual hobbyists would still have an industry that's sustainable by paring back everything by like 75%.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If Crazy Ken really had superpowers, he would need to fight ballooning game budgets and design by committee games, and make sure that gaming never went mainstream to begin with. Then actual hobbyists would still have an industry that's sustainable by paring back everything by like 75%.
Not a bad idea. But this is coming from the same man who made the Ps2 so gaming getting that mainstream was kind of inevitable

Honestly, if Ken was still making consoles and was using those parameters, its very likely the PS5 would have been an ARM-based design and 100% there would be co-processors onboard.

MikeM

I laugh and demand more $$.

My Ps5 would be what is out today except:
13 TF+ RDNA2 GPU
Dolby Vision
Dualsense with a AA battery option.
Folders (proper support)
API investments allowing for easy framerate unlocks.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If Ken design the PS4 it would be equal to the Xbox One X at launch with a 4K Blu-ray drive
Devs would have hated it but Sony's first party would have made it sing.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Remember folding@home on the PS3?

I’d do something similar except I’d be stealing peoples electricity, bandwidth and processing power on each PS4 and PS5 when idle and not in use for crypto mining (power off will be replaced with sleep mode to always be connected and working in background BTW, and no option to opt out)

Then since this will both crash the crypto mining scene due to its size as well as create a consistent profit stream, I’d then use my newfound corporate power to take complete control over Sony and focus solely on NFT’s and Web 3.0 based micro transactions for all Sony companies and subsidiaries not just electronic entertainment.

I then go down in history as the biggest internet troll to date… sad thing is they really would like to do this, probably are actively working on making it happen right now, and consider it good business practice instead of trolling

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

For a $400 PS4, I go with ESRAM+DDR3 to reduce costs and put the cost savings into a better CPU. Jaguar held back the consoles way more than RAM ever did on the PS360.

$500 PS5, 13 tflops, 2.4 GBps SSD, 560 GBps RAM bandwidth. 5.5 GBps SSD is a waste of money. Money that couldve been spent on more tflops and a better bandwidth which is going to play a huge part in RT games going forward holding back both the CPU and GPU from reaching their full potential.

I would not include full BC. BC on the PS3 cost Ken $60 because he had to include the emotion engine chip in every console. Just do PS4 BC.

Cerny has done virtually everything else right. No need to make console architectures exotic or difficult to program for.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
PlayStation 4:
-Propietary 8-core 3GHz CPU
-Same AMD 18CU GCN GPU, but clocked at 911GHz (2.1TF)
-12GB GDDR5 Memory (8GB available to developers)
-480GB 600MB/s SSD (400GB usable by the user)
-$499.99 MSRP

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
PS5

3090 graphics card
128GB DDR5 RAM
AMD Ryzen 7 5800
5TB SSD

Fully BC with PS1,2,3 and 4

Like the Switch, it's also a hybrid portable console. Can be docked to use with a TV and played in portable mode.

Portable device has a 15inch 4K OLED

Support brackets that attach to the players hips so you can actually carry it with comfort.

Custom cutting edge battery that developed in-house that can last up to 7 hours.

£400

Success. Becomes the greatest selling console of all time.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Before that, I will ask Jim to resign as it is more important than this as it will solve a much bigger problem.

Drew1440

I just swap the Jaguar cores in favour of the bulldozer cores AMD had at the time. Would produce a lot more heat but would have much more performance, even in a four core implementation.

Top Bottom