• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida says Square Enix sees at least another five years for FFXIV/Xbox port seems unlikely

NahaNago

I'm guessing maybe 1 more expansion since they are getting one this year. They can release a new one 2 years from now and just milk the last 3 years with very little updates. Considering how long they had ff11 going 5 more years of this game isn't that shocking. I'm now curious what the next Final Fantasy mmo will look like since it will probably be targeting Playstation 6. I find it odd that they haven't milked this game with a bunch of spinoffs. A cg movie based off the original game right before the reboot would have been epic. I think I will get back into this game since I bought the expansion and dowloaded it weeks ago (when I wake up).

I'm guessing maybe 1 more expansion since they are getting one this year. They can release a new one 2 years from now and just milk the last 3 years with very little updates. Considering how long they had ff11 going 5 more years of this game isn't that shocking. I'm now curious what the next Final Fantasy mmo will look like since it will probably be targeting Playstation 6. I find it odd that they haven't milked this game with a bunch of spinoffs. A cg movie based off the original game right before the reboot would have been epic. I think I will get back into this game since I bought the expansion and dowloaded it weeks ago (when I wake up).
Don't need to milk it with spin offs when you can sell +$30 mounts in the cash shop on top of a monthly subscription. (And people do buy them)

Dynasty8

How is FFXIV as a single player experience? I know some dungeons/quests require a party to complete, but say someone wants to get in and just experience the story & world mostly alone...would you guys recommend it or not worth the large investment time required? I am asking because I am currently enjoying FFXII Remastered.

Astorian

How is FFXIV as a single player experience? I know some dungeons/quests require a party to complete, but say someone wants to get in and just experience the story & world mostly alone...would you guys recommend it or not worth the large investment time required? I am asking because I am currently enjoying FFXII Remastered.
Yes, most people play it for the story I'd say, it's a big investment but more than worth it imo to experience the best game in the series, just be warned that the base game is mostly fine and the game starts to pick up with the first expansion.

Mossybrew

Does anyone on here play this game?

Been playing on PS4 since early January, previously I had only dabbled in the game for a bit six or so years ago. But since I've really got nothing else to play at the moment this game has been perfect. It's super chill just leveling and following the story.

Yeah you can easily play solo as I'm doing and do the main storyline, dabble in sidequests etc. - however there are multiple "roadblocks" so to speak during the main quest where you'll need to stop and queue for a multiplayer dungeon or boss to progress the story. It's still fairly low stress especially at lower levels, you'll get matched with people that are mellow and know what they are doing 90% of the time.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Don't need to milk it with spin offs when you can sell +$30 mounts in the cash shop on top of a monthly subscription. (And people do buy them)
Easy money:messenger_pouting:. I still think they could make more money if they did some spinoffs. The purpose for the spinoffs in Japan would be to sell more toys. They could easily sell the same character with different versions for many years after FF14 if they did so just like they did with FF7. Especially considering how many people played ff14 and would have nostalgia for that game.

Kumomeme

recent interview said that apparently the 'obstacles' that held the game being port to xbox is all been cleared by Phil Spencer's work. so all the regulation issue with MS should all been cleared now.

There are no obstacles for developing the Xbox version. We were able to undertake development and provide our service thanks to the immense efforts that Phil has invested. For that we are truly grateful!

it just due to the timing, that the team didnt have time allocated for the port

The sole factors are the workload and the order of steps. Now when it comes to the Xbox version, there’s unfortunately not much I can say presently but just that we cannot work on all the steps simultaneously and need to follow the order for proceeding with these things. Since we’re currently involved in the development of Endwalker and preparing the PS5 version to follow on from the title’s service on PS4, it’d be appreciated if we can return to touch upon the Xbox version once things have settled!

they currently now handsfull with creating big new important expansion, updates and cant allocated other resources to other big task simultaneously

so perhaps Xbox fans can hope once 6.0 is finished?

Last edited:
I always thought the issue with Xbox was MS refusing to let Xbox Live be cross-play with other services? They wanted an Xbox-only server for FFXIV and that was obviously not feasible because the costs of operating a single ghost town server for just one platform would easily exceed the revenues.

Endwalker is literally the final expansion of the main story arc of FFXIV 2.0 going back to 2013, if you have actually wanted to play it you would have on PC or PS3/4/5 by now. There's no excuse for waiting more than 8 years at this point just for specifically an Xbox version and I doubt anyone who seriously actually wanted to play the game instead of fighting a console war no one cares about hasn't played it by now.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I always thought the issue with Xbox was MS refusing to let Xbox Live be cross-play with other services? They wanted an Xbox-only server for FFXIV and that was obviously not feasible because the costs of operating a single ghost town server for just one platform would easily exceed the revenues.

Endwalker is literally the final expansion of the main story arc of FFXIV 2.0 going back to 2013, if you have actually wanted to play it you would have on PC or PS3/4/5 by now. There's no excuse for waiting more than 8 years at this point just for specifically an Xbox version and I doubt anyone who seriously actually wanted to play the game instead of fighting a console war no one cares about hasn't played it by now.
you certaintly has point there. not to mention nowdays the game free trial generously end up to lv60 which is some people said easily 96 hours of free content.

about the issue with MS regulation, other than they want Xbox only server and prohibit their player to chat with other player on other platform, another issue is the Xbox Gold payment where Yoshi-P didnt want player to pay twice to play the game (gold+ffxiv subs). well according to the man itself, the problem should been cleared now. 'another next year' perhaps?

Kagey K

Banned
you certaintly has point there. not to mention nowdays the game free trial generously end up to lv60 which is some people said easily 96 hours of free content.

about the issue with MS regulation, other than they want Xbox only server and prohibit their player to chat with other player on other platform, another issue is the Xbox Gold payment where Yoshi-P didnt want player to pay twice to play the game (gold+ffxiv subs). well according to the man itself, the problem should been cleared now. 'another next year' perhaps?
I said in the expansion conference thread. I give up on these assholes ever doing anything on Xbox.

I spent a long time buying everything Square released on Xbox to try to prove the audience was there, but I give up now.

They keep releasing a ton of shit everywhere else, and then wonder why it doesn’t sell, when they port it there down the road eventually.... if at all.

They keep saying the audience isn’t there, but if they don’t release the games on the system how can they find an audience?

Going forward im no longer going to be the carrot on the stick, if you want me to buy your fucking games you are going to have to earn it Square.

SkylineRKR

Can't recover my account since I forgot the question lol. Never paid for it but got lots of mileage out it regardless, finished ARR and was into HW. FFXIV is excellent.

Mr.ODST

Started back, last time I played was heavensward with a few jobs max level and all content done, expansions are really fun so far and started a Machinist

Top Bottom