• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro (Nier/Drakengard series) hour long unmasked "Making Weird Games for Weird Gamers" lecture presentation

Bigrx1

Banned
I did a search and hadn't seen this posted anywhere so if it is old news my apologies. It is a chunk of years old but I had never heard of it until yesterday and found watching it really fascinating. Perhaps some others will find this link and post of interest. EDIT - woops it's "Making Weird Games for Weird People" to be precise.

WARNING - During this presentation there are major spoilers for PS3 Nier.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fantastic GDC talk, been a favorite of mine for years.

The only slight disappointment about it is that he doesn't really go into the more elaborated applications of the Backwards-Scriptwriting technique that were proven to be so insanely effective in Nier.

He kind of touches on it in the example he gives about having a strict friend, where having a backstory that makes this superficially unappealing personality trait, understandable and endearing once revealed. I guess its hard to clearly articulate as it deviates from the strict linear narrative model he uses in the slides, although its just in essence two "emotional peak" character arcs where the latter one alters our understanding of the previous.

That being said, what should be a truly fundamental understanding that the writer needs his characters to EARN their place in the audiences sympathy seems to be sadly rare in a lot of modern games and movies.

Yoko's a total mensch though. Despite his unassuming, self-deprecating presentation this stuff is straight up brilliant. It cuts through to the heart of what really matters in a way rarely seen.

Top Bottom