• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yes, counter strike 2 is real and closer than you think

Holammer

Probably just moving CSGO so Source 2 like they did with Dota 2, why so much hype?
CSGO runs on a 19 year old engine, it needs an engine switch. If it's similar to the DOTA2 upgrade, it'll load faster and get higher framerate. That would be worth some hype. Developer tools for the community will get light-years better too.

This makes me wonder if the skin system will be imported retaining older skins within the new game? Its a big money maker for Valve regardless of what people think of them.
It will use the same item server. Users have invested too much time and money into their collections.
There would be riots if they did otherwise.

MiguelItUp

Interested to see what changes, if much at all. CS is timeless. It's one of those games that I revisit every once and awhile because there's nothing else like it. It stays relevant, but is also nostalgic at the same time.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Probably just moving CSGO so Source 2 like they did with Dota 2, why so much hype?
Because we've been without an Operation (content drop) since forever and while Valve has never been transparent when it comes to development they've been especially cagey this time around regarding any updates for CS. Hell, we don't even have a date or location for the 2nd major later this year. That usually happens much further in advance (so people can take time off, order tickets, book hotels, etc).

SOMETHINGSGOINGONEEEEEEEP!

Last edited:
Is it though?

high quality GIF

Puscifer

Isn't CSGO pretty much CS2?
I would say no, it's an E-Sports title with a completely separate interest.

Personally? I'd welcome a return to just Counterstrike of the early 2000s with a new coat of paint in the 2.0 engine, the same weapon physics and kill time and nothing else but matchmaking and I would pay for it.

When I play CS:GO, I get into a match and can't even tell half the time if I'm playing people or bots that exist to mine something.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I would say no, it's an E-Sports title with a completely separate interest.

I would personally Welcome a return to just Counterstrike of the early 2000s with a new coat of paint in the Alyx engine, the same weapon physics and kill time with nothing else but matchmaking and I would pay for it.

I play CS:GO, get into a match and can't even tell half the time if I'm playing people or bots that exist to mine something.
I've personally found Wingman to be the most fun mode now. It doesn't take as long as a regular competitive match and the smaller maps make it so there's less downtime in each round as well.

Plus if you're playing with a buddy you don't have to deal with trolls or toxic teammates.

I put an ungodly amount of hours into CS 1.6 and Source back in the day (GO was microtransaction focused shite). What's so great about the Source 2 engine and what would it mean for CS?

Holammer

SteamDB guy again. Maybe they are rebranding the game with the Sauce2 update. There's also been speculation they want to remove references to "terrorists" from the game.

VN1X

Banned
The CSGO Reddit has been a breath of fresh air now as well. Usually it's mainly esports focused (which I don't actually mind as I follow the scene closely myself) and the occasional skin/map post but now we're getting full blown hype threads and everything. There's even a live chat now to help boost your excitement into unreasonable & stratospheric levels of hype.

VN1X

Banned
50mWJ7H.png

Trying to keep things family friendly and this is what I get. :lollipop_crying:

EDIT: lol there's now even orgs (social media managers) and casters in that chat. Everyone's on board the hype train!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
SteamDB guy again. Maybe they are rebranding the game with the Sauce2 update. There's also been speculation they want to remove references to "terrorists" from the game.

I wouldn't mind the removal of "terrorist" phrasing from the game to be honest. Personally I don't care but I hear a lot of sponsors still don't want to be associated with the game because of the terminology it uses such as bomb planted, terrorists, kill, etc. It's why in some broadcasts casters are asked to at least use "frag" instead of killed or whatever. It's also why Valorant (and other games) opt for less offensive language as well.

That plus it is kind of weird that we're idolizing terrorists in and outside the game as well (what with 'cute' stickers, cosplay or otherwise).

Holammer

I wouldn't mind the removal of "terrorist" phrasing from the game to be honest. Personally I don't care but I hear a lot of sponsors still don't want to be associated with the game because of the terminology it uses such as bomb planted, terrorists, kill, etc. It's why in some broadcasts casters are asked to at least use "frag" instead of killed or whatever. It's also why Valorant (and other games) opt for less offensive language as well.

That plus it is kind of weird that we're idolizing terrorists in and outside the game as well (what with 'cute' stickers, cosplay or otherwise).
Yeah, that gotta go in current day, like costumes with too much skin in Street Fighter. But the "Terrorists Win" sound is kinda iconic. So the community might double down and meme the hell out of any attempt to change it. The new term needs to be chosen carefully.

Someone gave SteamDB guy a fancy knife, some comfort with the hammering his site suffers right now.

Fake

Is an adult game. People need to stop get offended by everything.

Removing something as classic as counter strike would cause unecessary backlash, not to mention a silly excuse to attract an audience that never give a fuck about CS to begin with.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

A week later and there seems to be multiple depot updates, which is unusual as regular Operation updates only need one afaik. So update Soon™.

Datamining of the maps expected to be included in the update.

N8SHqa6.gif

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
counter-strike-2-csgo-source-2-valve-fps-game-steam-cs2-550x309.jpg

A Counter-Strike 2 release date could be on its way after all, as FPS game creator Valve files new CS2 trademarks, perhaps also connected to CSGO Source 2.
For the past several days, activity by Valve in the Steam backend seemingly pointed to the release of an updated version of its flagship FPS game in the form of CSGO Source 2. Now, however, it looks like we could be getting closer to a full sequel and the Counter-Strike 2 release date – fresh trademark filings, connected to both Global Offensive and something tellingly labelled ‘CS2’ seem to suggest that Counter-Strike 2 is on the way.

On March 14, Valve Corporation submitted a trademark application to the USPTO for something called ‘CS2.’ If that’s not enough on its own, the filing contains a ‘related properties section’ which outlines any other Valve trademarks to which CS2 may be connected. This section contains two serial numbers – searching these two serial numbers reveals two other Valve properties, Counter-Strike and CSGO.

Below you can see the CS2 filing, with the related serial numbers highlighted:

Counter-Strike 2 trademarks filed by Valve: A trademark filing that lists CS2 or Counter-Strike 2

And here, the CSGO trademark filing with the matching registration number:

Counter-Strike 2 trademarks filed by Valve: A trademark filing for Valve FPS game CSGO

To put it more simply, Valve has filed a new trademark for something called CS2 which is linked as an intellectual property to the Counter-Strike and CSGO brands. There’s a startling conspiracy theory at the moment regarding CS2’s launch somehow being connected to the US version of The Office – you can read about that here. These new trademark

Top Bottom