• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YELLOWCARD releases new single "Rest In Peace" -- announces album will be their last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Yellowcard has released a new single and posted a note on their website that this will be their final album.

Yellowcard - Rest In Peace (Official Music Video)

Yellowcard said:
Putting this into words hasn't been easy. When saying farewell, it is hard to know where to start, especially when there are so many reasons not to say it, but the time has come to share this news. After countless discussions and months of thought, we have decided that it is time for Yellowcard to come to an end. This will be our last album and our final world tour.

The decision was an incredibly difficult one for us to make. We considered so many things - our families, our health, our future endeavors. In the end we realized that this was the right time to step away and preserve the legacy and integrity of the band. It is with you, the fans in mind, that this decision was made, We wanted to have the chance to share our farewell with as many fans around the world as we could, and now is the right time to do just that

We went into this record knowing it would be the last, which is why we chose to have Ryan Key and Ryan Mendez produce it. The motivation behind this was to make sure these songs came from a place that was deeply rooted in us. We wanted to push ourselves to create a lasting finale for this incredible story on our own. It is also why we chose to self-title the album. We were lucky to still have our friend and mentor, Neal Avron, on board as Executive Producer and mixer and we've made one of the strongest records of our career and a fitting final creative piece.

Once this final chapter for Yellowcard comes to a close, we will all be heading in new directions in our lives, but these memories will never leave us. We can only hope that the memories we have made together with you will stay in your hearts as well You have stood by us through all of the highs and lows on this unbelievable journey.

We will be forever grateful to Yellowcard fans all over the world for the opportunities you have given us. We have played shows for nearly two decades on six continents, and had the chance to keep recording the music we love year after year. While it is with sadness that we say goodbye, it is with gratitude and amazement that we look back on a career we can be proud of, and were so very lucky to have had.

Please come and join us on our last trip around the globe. We hope to share this final record and tour with each and every one of you.

"I won't be with you, but I won't be far away and this is goodbye."

-Ryan, Sean, Ryan, and Josh

A lot of us grew up with Yellowcard so this is really sad. They have that unique punk rock sound that's no longer being made in today's music.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the band, here's some listening:

gioUq1T.jpg

BTM

Sad times. Ocean Avenue was the first album I ever purchased and they really became the first band I actively followed. When it was announced the album was self-titled I had a feeling it'd be their last. Hoping for a solid send-off

I've honestly only really liked one of their albums, but damn did it hit hard. Hopefully this isn't farewell forever. Especially since a lot of bands have had reunions lately.

They have that unique punk rock sound that's no longer being made in today's music.

Ehhh...is it opposite day? There are hundreds of bands that sound just like them.

However, they are a solid pop punk group.

I remember seeing them play the Fireside Bowl in Chicago over a decade ago and they were really good live, lost almost nothing in transition from their recordings. Not a huge fan of their music, but I certainly respect them for putting on a good show and being great in general to the crowd.

They used to open their shows with a violin/nu-metal version of the imperial march as well. That was glorious to witness.

I remember my high school won some contest where Yellow Card would come play at our school. Everybody was so excited, but it was also the same day Halo 2 came out. I ditched the concert and was told by many people I was making a big mistake.

Joke was on them. Only the violin player came out and played tributes. The rest of the band never showed up.

TheShocker

I kinda fell off following them after their second or third album. It wasn't that I thought they were bad or anything, my musical tastes just evolved and I moved onto other bands. I still go back and listen to Ocean Avenue and Lights and Sounds since they're still in my library. I also had both albums on my og Xbox and have very fond memories of zipping around in PGR2, with them in the background. I'll have to check out the rest of their music.

malfcn

I didn't know they were still a thing. It feels like 10+ years since I remember hearing their name. Not my kind of thing though, honestly. Wasn't their thing was having a fiddle?

If it's time. At least they go out the way they want? How soon till they have me projects or regroup?

Bgamer90

Banned
I remember my high school won some contest where Yellow Card would come play at our school. Everybody was so excited, but it was also the same day Halo 2 came out. I ditched the concert and was told by many people I was making a big mistake.

Joke was on them. Only the violin player came out and played tributes. The rest of the band never showed up.

Wow -- funny story.

But yeah, 2004-2005 was a really solid era. Yellowcard, Modest Mouse, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party., etc. Brings back many high school memories.

Hasney

Not feeling that new song, but man, love Yellowcard so this is a bummer. I was already into them by the time Burnout Revenge came out, but having Lights and Sounds playing while racing was fucking phenomenal.

What a shitty few days.

Dishwalla

Banned

Our school won a concert by American Hi Fi("he's too stoned, Nintendo..."), wasn't a terrible show.

Korey

Ehhh...is it opposite day? There are hundreds of bands that sound just like them.

However, they are a solid pop punk group.

I remember seeing them play the Fireside Bowl in Chicago over a decade ago and they were really good live, lost almost nothing in transition from their recordings. Not a huge fan of their music, but I certainly respect them for putting on a good show and being great in general to the crowd.

They used to open their shows with a violin/nu-metal version of the imperial march as well. That was glorious to witness.

Really? Link me to some. I'd love to hear some new music with a similar sound. Punk rock isn't very mainstream anymore for some reason.

matt360

That's a bummer. Saw them tons of times in Jacksonville and when I was at FSU. They even played at my buddy's homecoming in Jax. That was before they were big so they mostly just played Green Day and Weezer covers, but they were still popular locally at the time so it was really memorable.

.la1n

Yellowcard was pretty big when I was in High School, I remember seeing them live in Atlanta during college. Most of the songs don't really hold up for me now but Powder and Firewater still resonate pretty strong with me. Wish them the best in the future.

I had no idea they were still around. Sad to see them declare its over :(

Light Up the Sky still to this day gives me so many feels. Forever one of my favorite songs by them.

Wow -- funny story.

But yeah, 2004-2005 was a really solid era. Yellowcard, Modest Mouse, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party., etc. Brings back many high school memories.

I still listen to all of them, most days on repeat. That era of music is forever one of my favorite periods.

-Stranger-

I really like the single, think i'll buy their new and last album.

I actually bought their album Ocean Avenue when i was teen and liked it.
Never really followed the band much after that for whatever reason though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom