• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah, PS5 and Series X are lukewarm, tops

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I don't want to talk about graphics per-se - I think that Halo Infinite needs more polish, but it's not that bad either. My problem is that I can't see the magic of next consoles that couldn't do what we saw past gen.

With the PS5 show, we saw Gran Turismo and what else? Nothing. With Series X, we had Forza and basically nothing more. Everyone kinda predicted this, mostly because both of those games are state of the art in every console they went, so while ray-tracing are really great, not really a surprise or a "this shit is amazing".

Sony says that will not hold up on the next gen or something like it, but then we have the new Spiderman which looks basically the same as the PS4 version. Sure, already looks great and runs better than PS4's, but chances are that the console PS5 is basically the PS4 Pro 2, while Series X is basically the same scheme, a One X 2.

Maybe we came to a point that we can't see how great things could look on a game. Maybe working on a single character to achieve the full potential will take too long to develop, so it's not really worthy. Maybe it's just the start and they need just a little more time. Maybe I'm too negative about it. One thing is for sure, people will buy those consoles more for "sticking what they have" than really changing the game

JLMC469

Banned
I’m excited about both and will get
both. Just not sure which to get first.

By 2022 I expect both will truly shine.

Last edited:
Older gens of consoles always managed to wow me with at least one title or so that I was really hyped for. Even current gen did it with Titanfall, KI and Driveclub. This year I saw nothing of that kind, just a handful of titles that I might be interested in, not even knowing if they'll make it for launch day. So I agree. I think I've never been more disinterested in a new gen.

Freeman

Banned
Meanwhile I'm being wowed by the PS4. TLoU2 legit plays and looks like what a nextgen game to me (minus 60fps).

The PS4 at this point has ancient hardware, nextgen will be fine, the limiting factor now is money to invest in ever more ritch and detailed games.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Demon's Souls and Horizon Forbidden West are killer apps for me, that also looks pretty fucking great, so I'd say PS5 is damn hot right now. Just waiting for Sony to announce a 4K/60 fps remaster for Bloodborne and it's a sealed deal.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Diminishing returns. This was always going to happen, console jumps get less impressive every time.

Yeah, they still look really good and you can definitely start to see where some new games wouldn't quite run on the base models of the old systems, but they're not "holy shit how did they do this" levels of impressive like, say, Oblivion as a launch title on PS3. Imagine seeing something like Oblivion after being a PS2 gamer for so long. It was absolutely incredible at the time.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
We all pretty much think the new Spider-man game is the same engine and built to run on PS4 from last Gen, possibly with some new features available on PS5. So, we can move on from that.

Racing games, traditionally, are available at the start of the Gen right away to show off the system. Racing games, graphically, are usually the easiest to use to show off the graphical capabilities of any GPU on anything.

As for the other games, perhaps they just aren't for you. Maybe you don't like Ratchet & Clank or other family friendly games. Perhaps the survival/horror games shown weren't the style/presentation you like or you might not like those type of games, perhaps you don't like Horizon..etc. No one can make games that satisfy everyone.

Also, games on a new platform will also look/perform better over time as Devs learn the hardware and work with it. Launch titles don't usually present the best a system can do.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
As for the other games, perhaps they just aren't for you. Maybe you don't like Ratchet & Clank or other family friendly games. Perhaps the survival/horror games shown weren't the style/presentation you like or you might not like those type of games, perhaps you don't like Horizon..etc. No one can make games that satisfy everyone.
I actually like a lot Ratcher and Clank, and I really want the new one, but I can see the new one as a PS5 game. Horizon... after Breath of the Wild, needs to improve a lot on the series

Top Bottom