• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza series producer would like to remaster Binary Domain (and redo some parts), also reiterates his desire to localize Yakuza Kenzan! and Ishin!

binary-domain-2-e1616677159479.jpg

Yakuza series producer Daisuke Sato has said he’d like to remaster Ryo Ga Gotoku Studio’s 2012 shooter Binary Domain.

The third-person action game was released for PS3 and Xbox 360 to generally favourable reviews but disappointing launch sales, though it maintains a cult following of fans.

Speaking to French publication GameBlog, Sato expressed a desire to revisit the title he directed, and used it as an example of how RGG Studio was willing to explore genres beyond action RPG.

Asked if it would be possible to make Binary Domain available on the latest consoles, Sato said: “Personally, I’d really like to (laughs). If possible, I’d like to make a few changes that I didn’t quite get to back then and maybe redo some parts, too.”

The producer also reiterated his desire to bring Japan-only Yakuza spin-offs, Kenzan and Ishin, to the West, suggesting that the recent success of Sony’s Ghost of Tsushima could make the Samurai-themed titles an easier sell.

“Even long before Ghost of Tsushima, I did want to release samurai games like Kenzan and Ishin in the West. Unfortunately, after Yakuza 0, we were very busy with remastering the numbering Yakuza titles for the PS4, so we missed the opportunity to work on some of these other games.

“However, if anything, Ghost of Tsushima has helped Western gamers become more interested in samurai, so I should think of it as now is a more opportune time to release these titles.”

RGG Studio recently broke with Yakuza series convention for the JRPG-themed Like a Dragon. Asked if the developer planned to explore more genres in the future, Sato expressed a willingness to do so.

“I think for the most part, we’ll keep to the genre that we’re good at,” he said.” However, that doesn’t mean we’ll only make action adventure games, and we’ll make decisions based on what genre best fits the game we’re developing.

“As seen in Like a Dragon, we switched the battle system from action to turn-based, and the genre to RPG. This was because Ichiban Kasuga isn’t the type of protagonist to fight alone and the story followed him and his friends to go from rags to riches together, which translated better as an RPG in which you team up as a party to fight.

“TPS was also the genre that best matched Binary Domain. For RGG Studio, the dramatic story is at the center of everything, so the genre is then created to best match how that story flows.”

The most recent Yakuza instalment, Like a Dragon, released in the West last year. In VGC’s Yakuza: Like a Dragon review, our critic Matthew Castle called the game “hugely entertaining”.

Last edited:
I freaking love that game. They should go with a remake. This guy also said he would like to make a Sonic game. I wish Sega had more money and resources so they could take on more projects and work on Binary Domain, RGG studios made Sonic game and Yakuza Ishin and Kenzan. remakes. But between Judgment 2(rumored) and the next Yakuza I doubt they will have enough time.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’d be okay with just straight ports like Yakuza 3-5 just to get them in the west honestly. I had no idea Binary Domain was this studio: is it BC on Xbox?

EDIT: looks like it is up on the Xbox Marketplace Just not sure if it’s BC on SX?

Last edited:
Before anymore remasters or whatnot, I'd rather see the studio address getting the remaining two Dragon Engine games, Kiwami 2 & RGG6, running at 60fps on newer console hardware, ideally through a patch and not by asking consumers to repurchase titles as with the forthcoming quasi-remaster of Judgement.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yes to all of this

I loved Binary Domain and was totally ignorant that it was the same guy that did the Yakuza series until a while after I beat it.

I like this quote too:

“I think for the most part, we’ll keep to the genre that we’re good at,” he said.” However, that doesn’t mean we’ll only make action adventure games, and we’ll make decisions based on what genre best fits the game we’re developing.

Gives me hope that they'll go back to Yakuza being an action RPG at some point

sublimit

Banned
“Even long before Ghost of Tsushima, I did want to release samurai games like Kenzan and Ishin in the West. "

Kinda hard to believe that but i do hope they bring them over one day. Better late than never.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kinda hard to believe that but i do hope they bring them over one day. Better late than never.

I don't think he had any say in the matter. Those games in question were made before Yakuza 0 even released in the west and SEGA basically gave up on the franchise until Sony funded the digital only release of Yakuza 5.

YukiOnna

Another excuse to dive back into Binary Domain is good in my book. Also, we've had Nioh, Sekiro, and Tsushima. SEGA should be riding this Samurai game wave and do it now. The only one that would need some semblance of overhaul would be Kenzan and you could just release a port of Ishin.

EDMIX

With Sega being as horny as they are to port Yakuza, I mean shit they should be ready to bring Ishin and Kenzan to the west like yesterday.

Zephir

“However, if anything, Ghost of Tsushima has helped Western gamers become more interested in samurai, so I should think of it as now is a more opportune time to release these titles.”
Was there even a single moment when western people were not interested in samurai and feudal japan?

SonicJams

BD was so good. I remember getting it cheap on steam and enjoying way more than I thought I was going to.

And of course, bring on the Kenzan and Ishin Yakuza titles!! 😁

SEGA_2012

I bought BD day one, back in the days.
I loved it, still today it is one of my favorite games of all time. I got the Platinum trophy.
I was so sad when i saw the sales.
I wonder what changes he would like to make.
I heard that they cut some cutscenes. Hope they put them back in extras, just for curiosity.

Fbh

Yes please to everything.
I've been waiting for Ishin and Kenzan for years. Just give a straight port I don't care, just release them in the west.

And a Binary Domain remaster would be awesome. Imagine that game with the newer Yakuza Engine
orgasm ovaries exploding GIF

Mr Hyde

Never played Binary Domain so I'm definitely down with a remaster. Though I heard it has an awful tacked on multi-player part, but maybe that can be skipped.

nush

Gold Member
I’d be okay with just straight ports like Yakuza 3-5 just to get them in the west honestly. I had no idea Binary Domain was this studio: is it BC on Xbox?

No it's not, but it could be when they start to add more titles again to the backward compatibility program.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
He said (thanks to Tsushima) it would be much more easier to sell Kenzan and Ishin in the west now.

Last month, he also said he would do remakes instead.

For me it's locked. But probably in 4 or 5 years (they have too many projects right now)

MrMephistoX MrMephistoX
Binary Domain is available on PC for 15 bucks.

Last edited:

Banned
the PC version sadly doesn't go far above console settings. so you have super obvious pop-in and really ugly far distance geometry. the armor of your AI partners changes LOD right in front of you.

a remaster would be really nice

MrA

Banned
if inshin and kanzan were announced as ps5 exclusives in the west that would probably tip me toward ps5 over xbsex at first

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Was Binary Domain any good? It sat in bargain bins for literal years. No joke, I saw a copy in a Fred Meyer about a year ago with plastic wrap so old and beat up it was practically open, and it had had so many adhesive hangers attached to it that had torn off, that they started sticking them directly to the case.

Zuzu

I just finished Binary Domain for the first time today. I played it at 4k 60fps on my iMac and it was such a great game. Fantastic story, characters and writing. I really liked the camaraderie between the characters and the choices you get to make along the way. I hope it gets a remaster and sells a lot more copies because I would love to see a sequel. They need to change the cover art to make it more appealing as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom