• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Reviews Thread

Roufianos

Well, for all my whining about the turn-based system, I ended up caving and bought it. Got fuck all to play which is making the wait for the 19th seem even longer.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why they had to ruin their most fun factor of combat that was fun, funny, and challenging to this crappy turn-based BS! I feel gutted to skip this game, was really anticipating it but it's impossible to endure that crappy gameplay.
I played Yakuza 0 and the most fun (imo) came from the story, sidequests, the funny humor and the absurd amount of minigames. Brawling was the most boring for me, just mashing buttons and almost no challenge.

I'm glad they turned it into an JRPG. Who knows, maybe this franchise stays that way while Judgement is the new brawler.

Last edited:
Why they had to ruin their most fun factor of combat that was fun, funny, and challenging to this crappy turn-based BS! I feel gutted to skip this game, was really anticipating it but it's impossible to endure that crappy gameplay.

I'll probably still give it a shot, but for now I'm kind of disappointed too. I love beat 'em ups and that's a major part of the enjoyment for me as well.

Thankfully I still have Fist of the North Star in my backlog.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I played Yakuza 0 and the most fun (imo) came from the story, sidequests, the funny humor and the absurd amount of minigames. Brawling was the most boring for me, just mashing buttons and almost no challenge.

I'm glad they turned it into an JRPG. Who knows, maybe this franchise stays that way while Judgement is the new brawler.

I played it on hard, and there are some extremely challenging fights! That money shaker is one fucking challenge when he reaches his optimal power that you lose in 1-3 hits with insane amount of health for him. Yakuza 0 for me, the main story, is the best story in a game of all time to me. I've played everything, it's a wonderful as a whole. But man, turn-based combat is simply not for me, tried Persona 5 and nearly fainted from boredom.

I'll probably still give it a shot, but for now I'm kind of disappointed too. I love beat 'em ups and that's a major part of the enjoyment for me as well.

Thankfully I still have Fist of the North Star in my backlog.

That game is fucking insane! Need a sequel! But for turn-based BS I really can't endure it.

Though you have to admit that landing those first blows on Kuze after his monologue in the sewers was just so satisfying. I get goosebumps just thinking about it!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I played it on hard, and there are some extremely challenging fights! That money shaker is one fucking challenge when he reaches his optimal power that you lose in 1-3 hits with insane amount of health for him. Yakuza 0 for me, the main story, is the best story in a game of all time to me. I've played everything, it's a wonderful as a whole. But man, turn-based combat is simply not for me, tried Persona 5 and nearly fainted from boredom.
Haha hell yes, the first boss was a true difficulty spike and some other bosses too. But the mobs you find in the city weren't, and there were a ton! I never finished the game because of that, but hey, if I end up enjoying 7 I can see myself coming back to 0. :)

Though you have to admit that landing those first blows on Kuze after his monologue in the sewers was just so satisfying. I get goosebumps just thinking about it!
Haha of course I admit! It was awesome, and the sewers scene with the motorbike was even more awesome. xD

SkylineRKR

I am playing this on the Series S right now. Quick Resume does NOT work with this game lol.

Its awesome AF. I prefer 60fps mode, it doesn't look much worse than 1440p on my 55 incher. And the framerate feels too good to pass up. 30 is jarring shit.

When Ichi started about taking cues from Dragon Quest I was in for a ride. This game rocks.

EDMIX

nah, I think they should keep this thing called "Like A Dragon" and make it a different series and make Yakuza 7 with a different character and a brawler. I'm ok with JRPGs being turned based, but some of the changes to this series just don't fit.

Split it.

I've been a hardcore fan of the Yakuza series since the ps2 days. Finished every single mainline entry and also Kiwami 1 n2 as well as Judgment. Why change the combat system to turn based all of a sudden?
I don't get it. The old system was awesome and they improved up on it in every game. I just can't picture myself playing this. I hate turn based games. I'm kinda sad cuz I really love Yakuza. Man Yakuza 5 had almost zero marketing and it was only released digitally. I refreshed my psn store every 5 minutes that day waiting for it to appear.

EDMIX

I've been a hardcore fan of the Yakuza series since the ps2 days. Finished every single mainline entry and also Kiwami 1 n2 as well as Judgment. Why change the combat system to turn based all of a sudden?
I don't get it. The old system was awesome and they improved up on it in every game. I just can't picture myself playing this. I hate turn based games. I'm kinda sad cuz I really love Yakuza. Man Yakuza 5 had almost zero marketing and it was only released digitally. I refreshed my psn store every 5 minutes that day waiting for it to appear.

I feel the change is so drastic, they should just make this a side series. I like the more serious tone in the main stories on all the main games, where all the trailers for this game are so silly, it feels like too much is being changed that ruins a lot of that feel the series had. Let this be its own thing, but Yakuza 8 (or what ever they are going to call it) needs to be the classic concept and tone and Like A Dragon could be their silly happy go lucky turned based spin off.

This is what we are used to.

I need that crime drama back please lol I have nothing against any of the more funny moments in the series, but that shit didn't just dominate THE WHOLE STORY.

I feel the change is so drastic, they should just make this a side series. I like the more serious tone in the main stories on all the main games, where all the trailers for this game are so silly, it feels like too much is being changed that ruins a lot of that feel the series had. Let this be its own thing, but Yakuza 8 (or what ever they are going to call it) needs to be the classic concept and tone and Like A Dragon could be their silly happy go lucky turned based spin off.

This is what we are used to.

I need that crime drama back please lol I have nothing against any of the more funny moments in the series, but that shit didn't just dominate THE WHOLE STORY.

Oh dear god yes. Exactly my thoughts. I always liked the goofy stuff in Yakuza games but it wasn't like this. Now it's like it's the main focus.

Nixonomics

If I remember correctly RGG Studio have said that if this game does well they'll stick to the turn based combat moving forward. I believe the developers have reasoned that it's a "fresh take on the series" - or something akin to that - but I wonder if part of the reason for the turn based combat is because they plan to continue with the Judgement series but want to further differentiate between the two. You guys think there's any validity to that or is it really just an attempt at shaking up the formula?

EDMIX

If I remember correctly RGG Studio have said that if this game does well they'll stick to the turn based combat moving forward. I believe the developers have reasoned that it's a "fresh take on the series" - or something akin to that - but I wonder if part of the reason for the turn based combat is because they plan to continue with the Judgement series but want to further differentiate between the two. You guys think there's any validity to that or is it really just an attempt at shaking up the formula?

More so the later.

I don't think Judgement has to do with what they are doing with turned based stuff. I hope they just split the series. Allow Yakuza 8 to have a different character and do brawler stuff and do Like A Dragon 2, Judgement 2 etc.

Great Hair

Banned
This makes no sense at all. Yakuza turnbased RPG?

Next Fifa World Cup 2024 will also be turn based! 22 players + 2 coaches ... everyone taking their time. Online matches take 2 weeks to complete.

Mhmmm 2077

Sales wise it's looking pretty good (for a Yakuza game on PC):
Kiwami 2 had 3217 players on release
Kiwami 1 had 3406
Like a Dragon has 6134 (as of now, 500 more and it will have more players on release than Kiwami & Kiwami 2 combined)
Yakuza 0 had 8903
bonus: Persona 4 Golden had 29984, in an entirely different league

Also, remember that Yakuza: LAD is the only fully priced game on the list, the rest was 20€, with the exception of Kiwami 2 being 30€.

edit: it also has Denuvo (Yakuza 0 had Denuvo too, while Kiwami 1 and 2 didn't have it)

edit 2: Yakuza: LAD peaked at 7093 players, but then Steam had to do their dumb maintenance, so idk if it will go any higher in the next few hours. Still, much better result than Kiwami and Kiwami 2.

Last edited:

Kazza

Sales wise it's looking pretty good (for a Yakuza game on PC):
Kiwami 2 had 3217 players on release
Kiwami 1 had 3406
Like a Dragon has 6134 (as of now, 500 more and it will have more players on release than Kiwami & Kiwami 2 combined)
Yakuza 0 had 8903
bonus: Persona 4 Golden had 29984, in an entirely different league

Also, remember that Yakuza: LAD is the only fully priced game on the list, the rest was 20€, with the exception of Kiwami 2 being 30€.

edit: it also has Denuvo (Yakuza 0 had Denuvo too, while Kiwami 1 and 2 didn't have it)

That's good news. Also, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 both had much lower system requirements (originally being PS3 games). 0 even ran well on potato PCs, which was one of the many reasons for its popularity.

Kimahri

Banned
Been playing it for a week, and it's bloody awesome. Turn based combat is so much better than the brawling we're used to. It's fast as all hell, and full of cool special attacks and weird shit. Job system is awesome. Turn someone into a musician and they can heal the party with "give peace a chance" songs. Alternatively you could do some damage by singing about your inner pain.

The characters are great, and the english dub is one of the best I've heard in years. Some side characters sound shitty, sure, but everyone of import is believable, and many performances are absolutely stellar. Doesn't hurt that many of the actors are asian americans.

I just love the "party". The chemistry is great, and the story is at times shockingly good.

If you're skipping this because you're scared of turn based combat, you're missing out on not only one of the best games in the entire series, but also one of the best JRPGs in years,if not decades.

.hacked

ugh got home from work, game install and controls are bugged.

D-pad not working, button messed up stuff like r3 is start and other buttons just do nothing. Steam boards fill with complaints, hope they fix it soon.

Guess I'll play some Destiny 2....

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Chapter 3, it starts to open a little.
For those who say it’s silly, well, like usual it can be pretty somber.
Ichiban seems to be a good character.

Iorv3th

Man I want this game pretty badly, but the PS5 this week and those games... I won't have time for this. If it were a PS5 launch title I would have gotten it. Going to probably wait until it comes out on PS5 or get it on PC later on on sale.

Kssio_Aug

Been playing it for a week, and it's bloody awesome. Turn based combat is so much better than the brawling we're used to. It's fast as all hell, and full of cool special attacks and weird shit. Job system is awesome. Turn someone into a musician and they can heal the party with "give peace a chance" songs. Alternatively you could do some damage by singing about your inner pain.

The characters are great, and the english dub is one of the best I've heard in years. Some side characters sound shitty, sure, but everyone of import is believable, and many performances are absolutely stellar. Doesn't hurt that many of the actors are asian americans.

I just love the "party". The chemistry is great, and the story is at times shockingly good.

If you're skipping this because you're scared of turn based combat, you're missing out on not only one of the best games in the entire series, but also one of the best JRPGs in years,if not decades.
Thats good to know. I feared the combat system as turn based would make things slower.

I will definitely play it though!

Last edited:

Sentenza

Turn-based = No buy.
If only I could slap people through TCP/IP.

Still, on a serious note not the biggest fan of how many JRPGs and similar do turn-based combat, admittedly.

Stuff like XCOM, Gears Tactics, Original Sin or Battle Brothers, on the other hand? An entirely different story.

Last edited:

.hacked

pc Players plug game pad via usb and controls are fine. Seems only bugged when using Bluetooth.

turn based so far is not bad, still feels like a yakuza game but only about 40mins in.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What is that? Before you continue, Persona 5 nearly made me suffocate from boredom after 1 level and bought it for $25 and it was one of my worst decision in my life. I acknowledge them not being shit games, but not for me.

one of the worst decisions of your life was buying a 95/100 JRPG you didn’t care for?

You can got some living to do kiddo

Been playing it for a week, and it's bloody awesome. Turn based combat is so much better than the brawling we're used to. It's fast as all hell, and full of cool special attacks and weird shit.

I might have to check more gameplay videos because in the first trailers the combat was lookin real slow and dull.

I'm not against turn based it just needs to be done well and I dont wannah miss more yakuza goodness!

Shai-Tan

Banned
To be fair, I also found almost all gameplay in Persona 4 extremely boring. That game is a grind fest. The combat in this looks more similar to final fantasy xii which was actually kind of fun, plus the animations are amusing

NanaMiku

I just bought the game, finally bought the region 2 disc version (since it's cheaper than region 3 in my country). But gonna play it later after I finished Yakuza 6.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Some Yakuza: Like a Steam Dragon screenshots, the game works fine with Dual Shock 4 (no weird inputs, no need to use Steam controller set up or emulate Xbox pad). How come there's no OT or anything? Oh well. It sucks these don't seem to work at native res and have zero options. Still great!
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj6n.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202usj8e.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202alkfb.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202r0khm.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202zbklz.png
yakuzalikeadragon_202ntkxg.png

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
So I never really got round to playing all the Yakuza games, expect for Zero which I loved. Mixing JRPG turn based battles with the crazy humour and decent story telling that is Yakuza = myself being pretty pumped for this.

As I haven't played any of the sequels past Zero, will I be lost in the story as this is the 7th entry? That would be a shame.

OuterLimits

Had no clue this was turn based. May have to check it out since I love turn based games. Even complete shit ones.

Do I need to have played other Yakuza games in the series or can I jump in with this?

Kimahri

Banned
So I never really got round to playing all the Yakuza games, expect for Zero which I loved. Mixing JRPG turn based battles with the crazy humour and decent story telling that is Yakuza = myself being pretty pumped for this.

As I haven't played any of the sequels past Zero, will I be lost in the story as this is the 7th entry? That would be a shame.
It's self contained, no worries there.

NanaMiku

AFAIK, some major character from the previous games will appears, but it's more like a fanservice rather than an important plot

Bo_Hazem

Banned
one of the worst decisions of your life was buying a 95/100 JRPG you didn’t care for?

You can got some living to do kiddo

Did I say it’s a shit game? No, it’s just too much not for me. Got it on sale and said let’s give it a try. Wanted a refund of that $20 after less than an hour.

Chukhopops

I noticed a thread mentioning that both PS5 and SeriesX only does 4k@30 for Like a Dragon.
I have both consoles, but this generation has made me not be able to go back to 30fps.
So I've decided to get the PC version to do 4k@60fps (or higher).

Anyone here played it on PC and where did you buy it from? Windows10 store or Steam?
Any thoughts on the PC version? So far, I haven't noticed a sale for it on PC.
The console versions can do 1440p 60fps, it’s a bit shimmery and noisy (on the SX version I played) but you get used to it. I don’t know the answer to your other questions though.

Top Bottom