• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Reviews Thread

Mista

Banned
c57bc304-b997-43db-8cec-8882fb0b995f.jpg

IGN: 7/10
Yakuza: Like a Dragon takes some bold steps in a new direction for the series but neglects to maintain its balance.

PC Gamer: 72/100
A fun, charming, and occasionally brilliant Yakuza game, let down by an overabundance of repetitive turn-based battles.

Eurogamer: No Recommendation
Like A Dragon pulls off an impressive JRPG makeover while simultaneously taking on all the flaws of the genre.

GamesRadar: 4.5/5
Yakuza: Like a Dragon impressively pulls off the switch to an RPG in style, providing an excellent combat system supported by loveable characters, and a tantalising main storyline with meaningful side quests.

Game Informer: 9.3/10
It's a new direction for the series, but Like a Dragon captures the essence of what came before while setting out on its own journey.

GameSpot: 9/10
Yakuza: Like a Dragon's cast of misfits makes the wild RPG combat, absurd humor, and dramatic storytelling soar.

Destructoid: 7.5/10
Like a Dragon isn't my favorite Yakuza, and its fresh turn-based combat eventually grows stale, but I have a lot of love for it. If it's your first game, it'll quickly initiate you into this wild, one-of-a-kind series.

God is a Geek: 9.5/10
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a phenomenal entry into the Yakuza franchise, with an interesting new protagonist, a compelling story, and a combat system that constantly mixes things up.

Videgamer: 9/10
This is the crux of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. It is fascinated by the way that games lurk at the soft verges of life, vesting our days with dreams.

Wccftech: 9.1/.10
The mean streets of Yokohama offer the opportunity for a new cast, a new suit, and a new hero. Ichiban Kasuga might not be the role model in the same way that Kiryu-chan was, but this dragon's quest might be the most fun Yakuza title to date!

COGconnected: 86/100
Yakuza: Like a Dragon is the perfect update for a flagging series. Its clever storytelling, bizarre substories, and engrossing gameplay makes this one of the strongest entries in the franchise. Mixing deep societal messages with references to popular culture, the game is both hilarious and thought-provoking. It is very clear to see that with Ichiban Kasuga, the series is in safe hands

ACG ( Karak Karak ): Wait for Sale

Press Start: 9/10
Yakuza Like a Dragon is both a fresh start and a shot in the arm that caters to series veterans and newcomers like. It bears all the hallmarks of a great Yakuza game, while making a damned good case for its revamped battle system. After Yakuza 6 topped the rest of the franchise with a matured and succinct focus it feels even more exciting to see the whole thing blown wide open again and have Ryu ga Gotoku just run wild. Kudos is deserved at Sega of America for their commitment to the game's localization as well, which is incredibly considered and comprehensive. I think I've found a new favourite Yakuza game.

Fake

What is that? Before you continue, Persona 5 nearly made me suffocate from boredom after 1 level and bought for $25 and it was one of my worst decision in my life. I acknowledge them not being shit games, but not for me.

I guess being a turn based not affect the game so much. Sometimes a change is good. I just pointing out that Dragon Quest XI is a really good game even being a turn based.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
yeah. they went full retarded. from unique beat them up game to boring jrpg.

I loved the previous ones so much. But turn-based combat is where I draw the line.

I guess being a turn based not affect the game so much. Sometimes a change is good. I just pointing out that Dragon Quest XI is a really good game even being a turn based.

I would have more fun playing tetris or chess instead.

Last edited:
Karak Karak Boooooo Jeremy BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :messenger_face_steam: :messenger_face_steam: :messenger_face_steam:

Loved your review as always brother!

I enjoyed his review as always too, but regarding playing in Japanese: the reason people push it so hard is because the acting is a million times better and the voices are better matched to the characters. Never mind you don't lose a lot of the flavour when they're growling and swearing at each other :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I enjoyed his review as always too, but regarding playing in Japanese: the reason people push it so hard is because the acting is a million times better and the voices are better matched to the characters. Never mind you don't lose a lot of the flavour when they're growling and swearing at each other :messenger_beaming:
No way in hell I play a Japanese game in anything other than Japanese voices

Can't handle the cringe when an American trying so hard to say senpai or whatever

No thanks mate

Kssio_Aug

I like turn based games, but I don't think it fits Yakuza. I always liked it's beating up gameplay.... not a fan of that change either. Watching the video in OP combat seems much slower than normal.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I enjoyed all the yakuza games although they were getting a bit stale.

I’m tempted to give this a try, but the problem now is the PS5 version is a long way off.

By the time it comes I’ll probably have forgotten about it. I keep forgetting about it low even though is just about to come out.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great scores!

I'm in with Day Ichi for Series X.

Don't get the hate for turn based JRPGs at all, if anything there's not nearly enough of them these days

It's called preference. Same hate came from hardcore final fantasy fans for FF15 which I liked. Changing something critical of Yakuza's fun factor is a deal breaker to many.

RNG

Game is reviewing pretty good with an 84 on metacritic. Already pre ordered on PC and I can't wait to play at glorious 60fps+ on Day 1.

About the same as any of these, right? I keep waiting for them to make some really great entry that will draw me in enough to care about the franchises as a whole but eh...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't care about scores. Game looks like a lotta fun and I'm gonna play it.

Any reports on the PC version optimization? I'm afraid my GTX 1060 might not be able to handle this. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jaysius

Banned
Was always going to be wait for sale/gamepass for me. Yakuza games are Japanese soap operas with slowly drawn out stories.

The only thing drawing me to this one at all is the Turn Based Combat, it's like Paper Mario this time and your button presses matter beyond the menu choice right?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
According to their Steam page the GTX1060 is the "recommended" card, so it should be fine.
I think the 1060 did fine in Kiwami 2 and this is the same engine
Ah hope so man! Thanks for giving me hope. :messenger_winking:

Btw, have they advanced the PC release? It was listed on Steam for the 13th or 14th but now it's the 10th.

Last edited:

drganon

I'm getting it for sure. I like turn based combat. Since the odds of me getting a ps5 anytime soon are pretty slim, I'll probably just end up getting the ps4 version.

Top Bottom