• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon | OT | Punching and Brawling Like a G6

Eiknarf

Banned
Judgment had Motor Raid which was fucking awesome (And it even had FV). It seems Like a Dragon has nothing new in arcades. Very happy with Super Hang On though, which was in 6 also but not in Judgment.
In LIKE A DRAGON, does your character go to the video store and watch DVDs of girls in their underwear instead of VCR tapes?????? Hahaha

Mhmmm 2077

Officially the most popular (number of players) Yakuza game on Steam.

9148 concurrent players, Yakuza 0 which is now #2 had 8985 players at once (at most).

RNG

Is ng+ locked behind a DLC now?
I think they included that for free in the western release now.

Finally unlocked the 4th character in my party now. Game already has better character development than the entirety of Final Fantasy XV lmao.

• Fire
Reactions: Isa

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone getting occasional red spots blinking like their GPU is overheating or something (but it isn't, temps are all good, no artifacts in any other game either). Thought maybe it's stylised lighting effects and lens flares and what not but I don't think so after all. I've only noticed it in cut scenes atm.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Game's awesome. Kind of fitting that it's my final PS4 game seeing as it's probably been my favourite series this gen. Sucks I won't be able to transfer my save to PS5 this week.

The guys who make these are just f-ing insane, such a perfect mix of humour, melodrama and actual emotion.

Not crazy about the turn-based system but it's worth putting up with.

HotPocket69

Banned
I’m loving the change of combat and how more overtly honorable and kind Kasuga is to the rough around the edges Kiryu. It’s refreshing. Also it’s cool how the Dragon Engine has these games consistently looking better as time passes. This definitely looks more impressive than Judgment and Yakuza 6. The only minor complaint I have is that the load times are a bit excessive (PS4 Pro).

RGG still the kings of juxtaposing hard boiled crime drama with zany, wild side stories. No one else comes remotely close.

Will probably be in my top 5 for 2020.

Last edited:

RNG

*pops over to English audio*

Oh so that's what Baka Mitai sounds like in english

*switches back to Japanese*

RNG

9148 concurrent players, Yakuza 0 which is now #2 had 8985 players at once (at most).
9,535 now :goog_biggrin:

Peggies

Gold Member
Up to chapter 4 now. Performance on the base PS4 is not amazing of course, but it's OK - around Judgment levels I'd say.

Story and characters are great as usual. Some potentially controversial stuff in how it handles certain social issues. Expect Kotaku articles.

Not sure about the combat yet. I'm okay with the switch to turn-based after so many iterations of real-time brawling, and fighting is still very fast-paced, cinematic and satisfying. The problems start when they try to replicate the delightful emergent chaos from the real-time battles by emphasizing random elements you have no control over, like party formation and positioning. It makes things a little too dependent on luck sometimes, at least at this point in the game.

I'm still having lots of fun though. The "Yakuza meets Dragon Quest" concept totally works, and the many ways the game tries to justify it on a narrative level are hilarious.

Killer8

I played the first hour with the English dub and then again in Japanese with subs. I actually am really enjoying the English dub and have decided to play the rest of the game with it. It's really well done, and due to how similar Japanese VO accents sound to me, it feels like the English voices are a lot more personalized for each character. I feel like i've heard Ichiban's "gruff Japanese man" voice a million times by now. George Takei in the English dub is a bonus too.

HotPocket69

Banned
I played the first hour with the English dub and then again in Japanese with subs. I actually am really enjoying the English dub and have decided to play the rest of the game with it. It's really well done, and due to how similar Japanese VO accents sound to me, it feels like the English voices are a lot more personalized for each character. I feel like i've heard Ichiban's "gruff Japanese man" voice a million times by now. George Takei in the English dub is a bonus too.

Been playing with the English dub too. It’s great.

And Will Yun Lee (Wei FUCKING Shen from Sleeping Dogs) plays Masato 🥳

Roufianos

Up to chapter 4 now. Performance on the base PS4 is not amazing of course, but it's OK - around Judgment levels I'd say.

Story and characters are great as usual. Some potentially controversial stuff in how it handles certain social issues. Expect Kotaku articles.

Not sure about the combat yet. I'm okay with the switch to turn-based after so many iterations of real-time brawling, and fighting is still very fast-paced, cinematic and satisfying. The problems start when they try to replicate the delightful emergent chaos from the real-time battles by emphasizing random elements you have no control over, like party formation and positioning. It makes things a little too dependent on luck sometimes, at least at this point in the game.

I'm still having lots of fun though. The "Yakuza meets Dragon Quest" concept totally works, and the many ways the game tries to justify it on a narrative level are hilarious.

Bleach Japan seem like a parody of SJWs or is it just me?

Also I can imagine lots of outrage about Saeko, some of her moves reference her being cute etc.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

Also I can imagine lots of outrage about Saeko, some of her moves reference her being cute etc.
Totally. This game just couldn't have been developed by a western studio, specially in the current age.

It's based as fuck.

oh most definitly bleach japan is base on blm/sjw. Saeko is totally awesome, eye candy and not a princess waiting to the rescure. Like the game said, if someone try to rob her, she will most likely beat the shit out of your average goons. For her it is basically a revenge quest. Most of the named female in the game are total bad ass.

Alexios

If you're gonna be such literal illiterate ignorant morons about it don't try to bring politics to unrelated gaming threads, how about that? You always whine about politics entering games after all. BLM = SJW = ANTIFA, you heard it here first folks, lol.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
It’s cool how the battle options first letters spell SEGA

2iQxZmb.jpg

Also I’m beating up baddies with a giant vibrator.

Last edited:

Shouta

Nice! Is it for Amazon US? Where can I find the coupon?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It was Amazon US and typically there's a little option on the product page, right below the price of the game, that you can click to apply the coupon on checkout. Unfortunately, I think it's gone now it seems. It does look like the game qualifies for Amazon's 3 for 2 deal though so you can potentially still get it for a discount if there's other titles you want to buy and are willing to spend a bit more overall. Or split the deal with a friend.

Miles708

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It was Amazon US and typically there's a little option on the product page, right below the price of the game, that you can click to apply the coupon on checkout. Unfortunately, I think it's gone now it seems. It does look like the game qualifies for Amazon's 3 for 2 deal though so you can potentially still get it for a discount if there's other titles you want to buy and are willing to spend a bit more overall. Or split the deal with a friend.
Hey thanks for your answer! I'm not in US unfortunately so I couldn't have used it anyway :messenger_beaming:

I've managed to grab a copy from another store anyway, so I'll be with you all as soon as it arrives in the mailbox.

in any case, much appreciated man!(y)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So my only complaint with the game was the difficulty, which made the battles almost pointless BUT, it seems that after the 40 hours mark the game is starting to pick up on that matter: enemies are harder, have more resistances and some of them packa a serious punch. (some rando city enemy almost kills me).

Aside from that the game is amazing. I only played a little bit of Yakuza 0 prior to this so I don't know if it's something common to those games, but the story is fucking awesome and has me hooked. I mean, it has a lot of anime tropes and sometimes it's kinda bad written in the sense that they explain things multiple times or just dump a lot of exposition on one sitting, but the story per se is really cool, specially in the way of how everything is connected. Loving it.

And yeah I said this before but the game is fun as fuck, never had this many laughs with a videogame. Yesterday I beat the
Ono Michio
sidequest and wow, I could never get tired of this kind of humor.

RNG

Anybody else getting a black box with blue borders when trying to play any arcade game on the Steam version? None of the arcade games are working for me.

ISubZBR

I didn't expect such a meaningful reward from the management mini game. Definitely worth getting your company rank up a few tiers as soon as possible.

Beated this minigame. Its truly fun, actually.
Received a special move that requires 200 MP. Cannot use this yet, but for description is a shot from satellite lol.

Im chapter 9. Oh boy, how I hate these bleach guys lol

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

The reason is Virtua Fighter 5.
If you enter the Club Sega, you'll be stuck forever there. Your brain says "I must finish Ichiban's story", your body will answer "Fuck Ichiban, fuck my wife, i need a quarter!".

Alexios

So, I entered that random dungeon sewers thing and I think I'm in over my head with no way out, lol? I reached the boss and it's a roomba thing that just oooooowns me in no time and also in my last save point before this boss the enemies have repopulated the dungeon so I'm kind of getting owned by the last (now first) pair even if I go back, they're super strong, status ailments don't work on them most of the time at all and I really only beat them with using a ton of items I'm now out of on my way here. What am I supposed to do, I don't even know how far back the ladder out is, if it still exists as I did go back once and it seemed like it was new areas xD

Last edited:

Nixonomics

So, I entered that random dungeon sewers thing and I think I'm in over my head with no way out, lol? I reached the boss and it's a roomba thing that just oooooowns me in no time and also in my last save point before this boss the enemies have repopulated the dungeon so I'm kind of getting owned by the last (now first) pair even if I go back, they're super strong, status ailments don't work on them most of the time at all and I really only beat them with using a ton of items I'm now out of on my way here. What am I supposed to do, I don't even know how far back the ladder out is, if it still exists as I did go back once and it seemed like it was new areas xD

I'm not sure there's any easy way out from that situation. You may be able to die - take a hit to your on hand money - and port out of the dungeon. I did the exact same thing way too early. I know there's a game over countdown if you die in the sewers but I had walked away from my computer when it happened and didn't see the options presented.

If you have the final skill from the management game (EoOL) it can kill one of the arms in a single cast. I wouldn't have been able to beat it if I hadn't got lucky and downed one of the arms in my first turn. The fight took forever after that but having one arm down kept it from killing a party member on it's turn. I think it's weak to electric.

Alexios

Oh I didn't know you can warp out if you die, that solves it, thanks. I'm not that far ahead, I only JUST got that lady in my party, I was going with 3 people since the bastard left, I didn't know you get her for your team if you advance the management... So I was going around leveling/ranking up etc.

Last edited:

Isa

Game's awesome. Kind of fitting that it's my final PS4 game seeing as it's probably been my favourite series this gen. Sucks I won't be able to transfer my save to PS5 this week.

The guys who make these are just f-ing insane, such a perfect mix of humour, melodrama and actual emotion.

Not crazy about the turn-based system but it's worth putting up with.
Hey man, not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but you should be able to upload your save data to the cloud if you have plus, it might have done so automatically. Then just DL your save when you switch over to PS5.

This game is waaaay up there for me, like others mentioned the mix of styles presented here is as usual superb, the novela melodrama and serious tone, the absurdist humor, and its all presented in a genuine way. Its the game I've played most on my PS5 lol. I love Nioh 2, Trials of Mana and 13 Sentinels, but this one just satisfies that escapist need I have right now. Plus its a legit Jrpg, like a modern setting DQ. This studio is amazing, being able to keep bringing this much passion for their work over such a long time is no mean feat. I love Ichiban! And all the others actually...

Roufianos

Hey man, not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, but you should be able to upload your save data to the cloud if you have plus, it might have done so automatically. Then just DL your save when you switch over to PS5.

Oh really, thanks man. Will try it out now.

TintoConCasera

Holy shit what a difficulty spike I'm facing in chapter 12, looks like it's time to take the combat really seriously now. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anybody else getting a black box with blue borders when trying to play any arcade game on the Steam version? None of the arcade games are working for me.
Same for me pal. Virtua Fighter works but thr classic 2D titles don't, which really sucks.

RNG

So apparently there is supposed to be a Weakness/Resistance indicator when targeting an enemy. Is this working on console versions? How did this shit fly-by through QA testing!? lol

TintoConCasera

So apparently there is supposed to be a Weakness/Resistance indicator when targeting an enemy. Is this working on console versions? How did this shit fly-by through QA testing!? lol

I can see those in the pc version.

itsArtie

I originally wanted to buy this but saw a lot of negative reviews on Metacritic. You guys are changing my mind.

Top Bottom