• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon launches November 10 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC | March 2, 2021 for PS5 in the west

Mista

Banned

Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store alongside its previously announced Xbox Series release on November 10, and for PlayStation 5 on March 2, 2021 in the west, publisher Sega and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced.

Sega has confirmed that users who purchase the physical PlayStation 4 version will also be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version at no additional cost. Save data will not be transferable.) The PlayStation 5 version will also be available as a standalone purchase for $59.99.

Gematsu

TeKtheSanE

I think my biggest bummer is I will want to play this on my series X and will have to use english subs since it seems like this one will lack the Japanese subs unlike the other Yakuza titles on Xbox/PC. And yes, I know I am in a minority wanting this in the west.

Bridges

I think my biggest bummer is I will want to play this on my series X and will have to use english subs since it seems like this one will lack the Japanese subs unlike the other Yakuza titles on Xbox/PC. And yes, I know I am in a minority wanting this in the west.
Wait, WHAT? No way, this would be very upsetting if true. I normally don't give a crap about subs vs dubs, but with Yakuza this would just feel wrong.

EDIT: misread "subs" as "dubs", woops. Thought he meant we would only have English voice actors in the western release which would've been a major bummer.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

Wait, WHAT? No way, this would be very upsetting if true. I normally don't give a crap about subs vs dubs, but with Yakuza this would just feel wrong.
It looks like it will have Japanese voice with English subs or English dub with English sub, sorry if I wasn't clear I was more stating my sadness that I will have to read English translations of Japanese audio while playing the game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think the game comes out a few days later for PC, on the 13th of November.

I have some hype for this game. Played a lot of Yakuza 0 but ended up dropping it after getting bored with by the combat.

I loved everything else about that game, so I'm very excited to try this one.

Reactions: Isa

Bridges

It looks like it will have Japanese voice with English subs or English dub with English sub, sorry if I wasn't clear I was more stating my sadness that I will have to read English translations of Japanese audio while playing the game.
Oh okay, yeah I completely misunderstood, I appreciate you clarifying that for me. That's a bummer that they don't include more subtitle options for people who want it. I don't think Series X is region locked, so you might be able to buy the Japanese version when it releases for Series X and play that with Japanese subtitles?

Banned

if you set your system location to Japan you should automatically download the Japanese version of the game not the NA/EU version.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

if you set your system location to Japan you should automatically download the Japanese version of the game not the NA/EU version.
I do that right now for Final Fantasy 9 and Biohazard 5 on the One X. It's just this Yakuza game isn't on the Japanese Microsoft store, or at least every time I've checked it is not there.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

So MS have paid for time exclusive but we've seen gameplay of the PS5 before Series X? :goog_unsure:
Prolly because it's already on Playstation in Japan so I guess technically it's already going to be a PS5 game because of the free upgrade. Whether that upgrade comes out there before here I don't know though.

DJT123

This one feels like another one of those totally unnecessary timed exclusives especially since PlayStation made Yakuza big.
Let them have Yakuza for Christmas, Phil, you heartless bastard.

Btw, I should love this series since I adore JRPG's and I love the idea of it, but somehow the tone just isn't for me.

Last edited:

web3x

So wait a minute. Clear this up for me.

PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4, so couldn't I play the PS4 version of this game on the PS5?

Yoboman

PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4, so couldn't I play the PS4 version of this game on the PS5?
Yes, Sony mandated all PS4 games moving forward are working on PS5 a few months ago

This one feels like another one of those totally unnecessary timed exclusives especially since PlayStation made Yakuza big.
Let them have Yakuza for Christmas, Phil, you heartless bastard.

Btw, I should love this series since I adore JRPG's and I love the idea of it, but somehow the tone just isn't for me.

Yeah, that’s really peculiar. The franchise became big on PlayStation, then it randomly goes timed exclusive for XBox. See guys, Microsoft does timed exclusives as well and with a decently popular Japanese PlayStation franchise. At least those timed exclusives on Sony generally did sell well to justify it for the third party. Yakuza on the XBOX? I don’t think it will be too popular, but I’m guessing Microsoft paid Sega handsomely for exclusivity so they probably benefited from it.

TeKtheSanE

Is that possible on Series X?
Maybe, I mean it's a shame for Sony-users to have to deal with that. I personally will get this on my Series X and play it there so save issues won't be an issue for me.

I would bet it's more likely the save will be transferable on the Xbox due to smart delivery and what not but take that with a grain of salt because I'm merely guessing.

LordCBH

Yeah, that’s really peculiar. The franchise became big on PlayStation, then it randomly goes timed exclusive for XBox. See guys, Microsoft does timed exclusives as well and with a decently popular Japanese PlayStation franchise. At least those timed exclusives on Sony generally did sell well to justify it for the third party. Yakuza on the XBOX? I don’t think it will be too popular, but I’m guessing Microsoft paid Sega handsomely for exclusivity so they probably benefited from it.

the thing that doesn’t really make sense to me is it’s a 4 month period. Usually these exclusive deals are what, 6-12?

This timed exclusive doesn't stop anyone with a PS4 or PS5 from buying and playing this game day one. Can Xbox gamers say the same about something like the new Final Fantasy or even Deathloop? This is totally harmless.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Maybe, I mean it's a shame for Sony-users to have to deal with that. I personally will get this on my Series X and play it there so save issues won't be an issue for me.

I would bet it's more likely the save will be transferable on the Xbox due to smart delivery and what not but take that with a grain of salt because I'm merely guessing.
Honestly it's not that big of a deal for me, since I have the JP demo installed so I can wait.

This timed exclusive doesn't stop anyone with a PS4 or PS5 from buying and playing this game day one. Can Xbox gamers say the same about something like the new Final Fantasy or even Deathloop? This is totally harmless.

Isn’t Yakuza coming to PS5 in March 2021 though? It doesn’t really bother me, but isn’t that stopping the PS5 owners from playing Yakuza until that particular date? Unless they want to go down to the PS4 version.

Yes you will be able to play the PS4 version of this game on your PS5 this year. 99% of PS4 games will be BC and ALL games that released after July were mandated to work. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is misinformed.

There is no way Microsoft didn't pay to have the next-gen version be a timed exclusive. 4 months for the PS5 version is BS especially given that it was the PlayStation fans who made Yakuza what it is. I've seen some people trying to act like Sony didn't get them hardware in time to do it and that's BS too because Sega is putting out Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 on PS5 this year. Sega has been working closer and closer with Microsoft lately between Yakuza being on Game Pass, PSO2 coming to the west on Xbox, and now this timed deal.

TeKtheSanE

There is no way Microsoft didn't pay to have the next-gen version be a timed exclusive. 4 months for the PS5 version is BS especially given that it was the PlayStation fans who made Yakuza what it is. I've seen some people trying to act like Sony didn't get them hardware in time to do it and that's BS too because Sega is putting out Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 on PS5 this year. Sega has been working closer and closer with Microsoft lately between Yakuza being on Game Pass, PSO2 coming to the west on Xbox, and now this timed deal.
Does this scare you?:messenger_ghost:

Isn’t Yakuza coming to PS5 in March 2021 though? It doesn’t really bother me, but isn’t that stopping the PS5 owners from playing Yakuza until that particular date? Unless they want to go down to the PS4 version.
PS5 is backwards compatible with with PS4. Plus you'll get the PS5 upgrade for free in March. Think of it like Cyberpunk 2077 where the next gen upgrade comes later. It doesn't stop you from enjoying the game now.

Does this scare you?:messenger_ghost:
In terms of them possibly buying them? Not really as I don't think Microsoft will want to deal with all the things Sega does outside of gaming. The only thing I really have a problem with that they've done with Sega is making this new Yakuza timed exclusive on next-gen.

TeKtheSanE

In terms of them possibly buying them? Not really as I don't think Microsoft will want to deal with all the things Sega does outside of gaming. The only thing I really have a problem with that they've done with Sega is making this new Yakuza timed exclusive on next-gen.
Glad to hear it, cause I agree. Microsoft probably isn't buying SEGA anytime soon if ever.

I just wish Sony didn't lock down FF16. (Not that it matters as I will probably have my PS5 by then too anyways)

PS5 is backwards compatible with with PS4. Plus you'll get the PS5 upgrade for free in March. Think of it like Cyberpunk 2077 where the next gen upgrade comes later. It doesn't stop you from enjoying the game now.

I see. I didn’t know Yakuza was coming out on PS4 in November. I was think it was March 2021 as well.

RNG

Glad they bumped it up to the 10th and right before Remembrance Day. My body is ready for the PC version.

KrisB

Saves not transferring is a bit of a killer, especially in games of this size.

I’ll just wait till March for the PS5 version.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No save transfer is a bad idea, especially in a game like this where you invest xx hours in finishing it and then xx more in getting the platinum. At this point I'm starting to lean towards waiting until March, especially with November having Cyberpunk which means I probably won't play too much of Y7.

Last edited:

Banned
I do that right now for Final Fantasy 9 and Biohazard 5 on the One X. It's just this Yakuza game isn't on the Japanese Microsoft store, or at least every time I've checked it is not there.

well the game isn't out yet on Xbox One, so I wouldn't be surprised by that.

jaysius

Banned
I'm usually all in for a new Yakuza game, but I just can't get over the turn based combat. Might watch the story on yt though.

For me it's the opposite, this almost reminds me of a Paper Mario or something, I find the Yakuza series horrible bores, button mashing all the time, and then bad soap opera the rest.

For me this combat looks a more engaging than the average Yakuza game.

sublimit

Banned
So is MS "anti-consumer" for having this game as timed exclusive for Series S/X?

:messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Top Bottom