• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 14 minutes of gameplay and dev interview. (IGN Summer of Gaming)

Yakuza: Like a Dragon turns the long-running beat-'em-up into a turn-based JRPG. Senior Localization Producer Scott Strichart shows us around the new setting of Yokohama, introduces us to the new protagonist Kasuga Ichiban, shows off the party-based battle system, some fun side activities, and the new wardrobe tied to the job system.

We’ve seen the Yakuza Like a Dragon trailer (a.k.a Yakuza 7 trailer), but Scott Strichart is here showing us more of the new fighting system that Sega developed for this game as well as a ton more Yakuza Like a Dragon gameplay (a.k.a Yakuza 7 gameplay).

Stay tuned to IGN to learn more about Yakuza 7 combat and all things Yakuza 7. Yakuza Like a Dragon is for Playstation 4, PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X. Thanks for checking out IGN’s Summer of Gaming! Be sure to stay tuned to SoG as our team shares hands-on demos, gameplay previews (including Xbox Series X gameplay and PS5 gameplay), developer interviews, and publisher presentations- and it’s all happening in live broadcasts on IGN, IGN YouTube, and IGN’s social feeds!

Throughout June, IGN’s Summer of Gaming will be showcasing Xbox news, PS5 news, and new games! 2020, we all know is the start of the next console generation, so make sure to continue to check out Summer of Gaming for news about upcoming games, 2020 titles releasing for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, and more discussions around this year’s hottest gaming news.

The first batch of Yakuza: Like A Dragon gameplay for the Western release has been revealed during today’s IGN Expo.

The new gameplay, which was a part of today’s IGN Summer of Gaming gives us a look at the many changes RGG Studio and SEGA has implemented to the game. This includes things like the new turn-based combat and of course a look at the new world you can get to explore, which is comprised of nine different districts.

But, the gameplay was clear to highlight that the game’s ridiculous tone and absurd silliness will return, with Yakuza: Like A Dragon featuring its own version of Pokemon. You can watch that new gameplay below:

A PS5 release for the game was recently outed on a retailer. However, no official confirmation has been made as of now. Last month, a cinematic trailer for the game was released giving us a deep dive into the game’s story and characters, most of which are new for this game.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon is set to come to PS4 this year.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I'm sorry but this doesn't look like Yakuza at all.Turned based combat doesn't suit a game like Yakuza. And Ichiban looks lame when compared to any other previous Yakuza characters.

Last edited:

Miles708

There is a demo on japanese PSN and really, the rpg combat not only works inside the Yakuza boundaries (I was the first not convinced initially), but they could have accidentally made the best and most fluid JRPG combat in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I'm actually keen on the rpg stuff and the new protagonist I'm just not into the team's output anymore so it's a pass for me.

I just finished Yakuza 4 and I'm still not tired of the brawling, but I'm keeping an open mind on this one.

Hoping they haven't put in more QTEs :messenger_weary:

TLZ

Banned
I'm sorry but this doesn't look like Yakuza at all.Turned based combat doesn't suit a game like Yakuza. And Ichiban looks lame when compared to any other previous Yakuza characters.
I wouldn't same lame. He's just the opposite of Kazuma looks like it.

This game to me feels like what Saints Row is to GTA. A more silly/fun take on it.

Traxtech

So many people are writing this off before even trying it, having played the demo you're in for a treat even if you don't like turn based rpgs and like yakuza. It just feels GOOD

Last edited:

Isa

Exactly, I was actually keen on the game upon first reveal but having played it, man it was so fun! I've been counting the days until it finally gets a set date.

cireza

Big fan of the new battle system. I actually strongly disliked the real time combat (discovered the games on Xbox One), it felt pretty bad, imprecise, repetitive and not fun to me.

This looks much more fun to me, even if it will still be just as repetitive. I really like RPGs overall which helps a lot :)

Last edited:

GymWolf

There is a demo on japanese PSN and really, the rpg combat not only works inside the Yakuza boundaries (I was the first not convinced initially), but they could have accidentally made the best and most fluid JRPG combat in the last 10 years.
I hope so, not many great turn based combat during this gen.

xrnzaaas

Haha yeah lets just turn Forza 8 into a top down racing managment sim, its stale after 7 games, the longtime fans will love it!!!
I think the only bad decision SEGA has made is that they've marketed the game as Yakuza 7 at first. Changing the battle system so drastically is what you do in a spin-off game like Judgment, not in the mainline entry.

Personally I can't wait to play it even though I typically avoid jrpg's. :) The (realtime) fights weren't the biggest draw for me in Yakuza games, it was the world, the characters and the story.

Last edited:
I think the only bad decision SEGA has made is that they've marketed the game as Yakuza 7 at first. Changing the battle system so drastically is what you do in a spin-off game like Judgment, not in the mainline entry.

Personally I can't wait to play it even though I typically avoid jrpg's. :) The (realtime) fights weren't the biggest draw for me in Yakuza games, it was the world, the characters and the story.

100% agree about the point that its mainline, i was one of the few that bought Yakuza Dead Souls at launch and enjoyed it, but that was 100% a spin-off. Not going to financially support the direction of the series since its the 7th game and mainline. If it where a spin-off i would have bought it, still i hope you enjoy the game for what it is, sounds like its something you will like!

Gediminas

Banned
looks boring, very boring. from unique game in this time of age to another boring jrpg game.

i have almost all of their game, but this one i will skip it. not worth to supporting it. i vote with my wallet.

and, so their will release Day 1 on xbox sx but not PS5? no surprise here.

sublimit

Banned

I agree about that. It was stupid. It actually reminded me how Kazunori Yamauchi wanted to promote GTSport as "GT7" which made long time fans even more pissed.

If they are going to deviate so much from their roots it would be much more ethical to call it a spin-off.

Last edited:

klosos

Lets go , I just finished Judgement at the Weekend ( Great game , play it if you haven't already). However i am not to sure about the combat to be honest.

However ill have to try it before really praising it or criticizing it. also the Yakuza development team have some of the best writers in the industry IMO.

Miles708

100% agree about the point that its mainline, i was one of the few that bought Yakuza Dead Souls at launch and enjoyed it, but that was 100% a spin-off. Not going to financially support the direction of the series since its the 7th game and mainline. If it where a spin-off i would have bought it, still i hope you enjoy the game for what it is, sounds like its something you will like!

In one of the (many) interviews to Nagoshi and the main designers, they basically said they didn't know how to evolve the battle system beyond what's already been done. That (and the fact they're doing the same game since PS2) is one of the reasons why they've changed genres.

It's a pretty stylish "Yakuza-style" turn based combat, and the genre-change should also loosely (and weirdely) be addressed in the game's lore, too.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I completely disagree. As a huge Yakuza fan, who have played all titles in the series, and after playing the demo of Y7, it didn't feel like Yakuza at all.

I'm still willing to give the game a try when it comes out, but this is without a doubt the least hyped title in the series for me.

Miles708

I completely disagree. As a huge Yakuza fan, who have played all titles in the series, and after playing the demo of Y7, it didn't feel like Yakuza at all.

I'm still willing to give the game a try when it comes out, but this is without a doubt the least hyped title in the series for me.

The funniest thing personally is that I find the battle system the only secure thing about yakuza 7 :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Both the city and the characters left me wondering if they're up to the series past, but on the other hand the demo showed just a glimpse of the game, and in Japanese language.

Last edited:
Top Bottom