• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 has me close to throwing my pad in frustration

You know how games are supposed to be fun? Well the Yakuza games are great fun. I love them a lot and I've played them ever since the series began. Great stories, great characters, a world that feels full of life, some great music, lots of mini games and plenty of content.

However.

I do still have my bug bears. For example. Why make a hard golf course a fucking side mission?

For those who aren't familiar, allow me to explain. Aside from the main chapters of the story in Yakuza, each game also has sub-stories that you can randomly come across when exploring. Completing all these sub-stories will net you a trophy, which is cool but also you'll earn the ability to fight a member of the Amon clan. This is a ridiculously hard battle but it's a long series running trope in every Yakuza game and even Judgement. But, at the end of these stories, it all adds to your trophy collection and completion.

However, if you can't, to use the Dark Souls term, 'get good' at these mini-games then you're pretty much shit out of luck. I have physically completed every other side story but I cannot score 300 points on this fucking advanced golf course. I've tried everything. There is no way to make this course easier. I've used guides, I've watched YouTube videos and tried to re-create the shots as the variables around each shot don't change and nothing.

So to add a little more content, this sub story focuses around a golf champion who notices that you've played golf. He says that his top score on the advanced course (yes, there is beginner and intermediate) is 290 points. If you beat him, he'll offer you a reward. Your objective is to play 10 holes of golf to score over 290 points. To get points, you take shots on a golf course and you must land the ball as close to the pin as possible. Around the pin are several outer rings and depending how close you get the ball, or if you get a hole-in-one, will affect how many points you earn. Missing these rings simply gets you 0 points.

So I got a hole-in-one recreating the YouTube videos that I watched of successful gamers. And then managed to only get another 60 points the whole 9 other holes. This means I got the ball into the furthest possible ring twice. As well as obstacles in the way of the ball, you also have to consider the wind and the fact that the holes are on raised platforms, which means more often than not, your ball just slides off.

I've spent hundreds of thousands of Yen to try to do this mini-game, I have clocked over 150 hours on this game and I think 20 of them is just trying to complete this sub story and quite honestly, I am just getting pissed off. This isn't fun and the impact of not being able to do it is quite severe as I cannot fight the secret boss or get the trophy for completing all the sub stories. Why the hell would you do something like this?

It took me a long time to get to terms with the fact that I would never platinum a Yakuza title. Not only because I don't have the patience to play the game through again on Legendary difficulty which is basically impossibly hard battles. Nor can I complete the completion lists as I have no clue how to do any of the gambling or play Mah Jong, as much as I try to learn, that I always settle for completing all the side missions and beating Amon. 150 hours in and I don't think I can do it anymore. This is bothering me significantly. Probably more than a game should. But why make such a dick move to have this as a sub story when I already sunk 3 hours into completing a similar situation with a baseball side story, though there was an option to make this slightly easier by earning a bat that allowed me a fraction of extra time to aim. Really angry with this situation. Any help or just anyone who's felt this frustration also would very much make me feel better.

yakuza games are just such a low bar for a video game in general. they highly depend on fan service in their dialogue to get by, while some of it is funny or interesting. the gameplay is just, godly mediocre if am being nice. the games kind of get old at about the 5th cock tease/block in which there are like tens of throughout every game.

i mean they put out like 1 or 2 yakuza games every year. for an open world game thats fairly too quick. i would sacrifice like the 8 or so yakuza games for a decent japanese game

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
yakuza games are just such a low bar for a video game in general. they highly depend on fan service in their dialogue to get by, while some of it is funny or interesting. the gameplay is just, godly mediocre if am being nice. the games kind of get old at about the 5th cock tease/block in which there are like tens of throughout every game.

i mean they put out like 1 or 2 yakuza games every year. for an open world game thats fairly too quick. i would sacrifice like the 8 or so yakuza games for a decent japanese game
For fuck sake, do you like anything at this point!!?

A.Romero

I love Yakuza series but I skip many missions because of this.

The rest of the game is very worthwhile.

I JUST FUCKING DID IT! THANK YOU GAF! Maybe I just need to blow off some steam but man got two hole in ones!! I missed every other fucking shot!

tenor.gif

LOLCats

Banned
Meh i never do 100% completion in Yakuza games, i finish the story out and some collectibles but i never chase down every sub-story, usually about 70% competition and i move on. A lot of the mini games i just find boring, in fact most of them. I play em once and im done. Id rather spend my time fighting, loving and eating to max out my stats.

Last edited:
Meh i never do 100% completion in Yakuza games, i finish the story out and some collectibles but i never chase down every sub-story, usually about 70% competition and i move on. A lot of the mini games i just find boring, in fact most of them. I play em once and im done. Id rather spend my time fighting, loving and eating to max out my stats.

Kyodai, me and you are cut from the same cloth. The highest completion I ever got was 82.71% on Yakuza Kiwami and just gave up. The localisation team really need to recognise that the 100% completion trophy is far harder for Gaijin who don't understand Shogi, or Mahjong or things like fucking Koi-koi which I still don't understand after many games. Perhaps changing it to what Days Gone did where you could get away with completing 80% of these things being enough to earn the platinum and making more trophies that show you've spent time with the game and really played it. Skill based trophies really annoy the piss out of me when they're so unrealistic for a global audience. Or, even better, do what Neir Automata does. If you really, really cannot earn a trophy, complete everything else the game has to offer and then buy the trophy.

On Yakuza Kiwami I had 999 bars of experience left at the end. I'd have happily traded them for the trophy. I played that game for nearly 200 hours and defeated Majima more times than I can count.

I suck at mahjong and shogi so I can't help you there but I mostly get koi koi. I think it's easiest to learn in the "tales of" series if you know all the characters. Personally I got it once I bought a set.

Basically all the cards are flowers and it seems to be common knowledge to know that hydrangea= june and so on. Some red cards are actually flowers because surprise! But guess what, you don't need to know that to win!

The power cards are butterfly, deer, pig, moon and red cup. Rain man can be used for bs combos too but it's not as important. Get those cards and your opponent can't make points quickly. You can grab them by having a card from the same month/flower so save those cards for last. Then make easy combos and never koi koi unless you are behind.

I played Kiwami 2 on PC and all I can say is....

Thank god for Cheat Engine

It really helped me out with the aforementioned mini game.

Why waste your life away trying to beat those bullshit side activities?

I'm guessing you were playing on a PS4 since you mentioned trophies.

Thank god for PC Gaming

Top Bottom