• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 7 Coming to Xbox Series X/S on November 10 (temporary exclusive for 3 days ???)

Banned
Weird, must be an error.
The series X-S version is the same version as the Xbox one version. (Minus a patch)

this.

that has to he an old date that was now moved forward to be on launch day of the system but they didn't update the rest.

it is however "next gen timed exclusive", meaning the PS5 will not get an enhanced version until later next year

GHG

Gold Member
Is this the part where people are supposed to scream "that's Anti-consumer" from the top of their lungs?

Aion002

Is this the part where people are supposed to scream "that's Anti-consumer" from the top of their lungs?
Only if it was in Sony's favor.

Sega and MS are quite chummy for next gen... Phantasy Star and now Yakuza, I hope that it pays off to Xbox and Sega doesn't regrets it.

LordCBH

Sega and MS are quite chummy for next gen... Phantasy Star and now Yakuza, I hope that it pays off to Xbox and Sega doesn't regrets it.

i dislike the Yakuza part. Fans had to deal with it effectively being dead over here forever. Fought like hell to get it resurrected, then bought the hell out of it when it was. Kinda dick move from Sega.

Aion002

i dislike the Yakuza part. Fans had to deal with it effectively being dead over here forever. Fought like hell to get it resurrected, then bought the hell out of it when it was. Kinda dick move from Sega.
It's Sega.... They always fuck the fans... Specially Yakuza fans.

First there was Kenzan that they simply choose to ignore their western fans....Then they announced Yakuza on the Wii U and everybody expected the whole series on it, but they made a meh remaster of 1 and 2 and called the day. This gen they again shitted on west by not bringing Ishin over, later they announced Yakuza on PC and still weren't able to release all the series on it.... Now they decided to piss even more on the fans by putting a pay wall on the New Game Plus of 7 and becoming a "timed exclusive" of Xbox.

They pissed off Yakuza fans, Nintendo fans (Sega keeps ignoring the Switch), PC fans and now the Playstation fans..... Can't wait to see what they are going to do with the Xbox fans eventualy.

That's probably one of the reasons that Yakuza is on decline....

Well, it’s a Japanese game on Xbox so......

Unless they got a phenomenal deal on Gamepass or something.

Last edited:

Dane

Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for Xbox Series platforms on November 10, publisher Sega and developer Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio announced.

Sega previously announced that Yakuza: Like a Dragon will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam and the Microsoft Store on November 13, and for PlayStation 5 at a later date. However, Sega’s messaging today reads, “Yakuza: Like a Dragon will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Windows 10, and PlayStation 5. Please stay tuned for more release information on all platforms in the coming weeks.” When asked if those versions are still due out on November 13, a Sega representative would only refer to the quoted text. This is also despite the Xbox One and Xbox Series versions of the game being part of the same physical edition SKU, which would imply a simultaneous release.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

Man I hope it's just the promised release dates, day one on XSS-X and November 13th on the rest, since the new consoles are set to be released 3 days earlier, yes, they'll get first.

Camreezie

I expect it to not do too great on Xbox , were sales numbers for Kiwami and Kiwami 2 decent?

Last edited:

In their defense, the localization effort alone must be absolutely massive. There's a ton of dialog to translate in every game, plus figuring out how to communicate very Japanese things to a foreign audience. Then there's all the English voices needed for pretty broad casts of characters in the newer installments.

I don't blame them for being reluctant, especially with a niche series.

LordCBH

In their defense, the localization effort alone must be absolutely massive. There's a ton of dialog to translate in every game, plus figuring out how to communicate very Japanese things to a foreign audience. Then there's all the English voices needed for pretty broad casts of characters in the newer installments.

I don't blame them for being reluctant, especially with a niche series.

Oh I agree with every argument your putting here. I get why the series essentially died over here. But man it sucks to get it back after petitioning, asking, buying the imports, and then getting told “next gen version is exclusive to the platform that didn’t have one until 7 months ago”.

Banned
So is this anti-consumer or not?

I bet it's more likely that the studio simply doesn't have the resources to optimise the game for PS5 in time.

I don't think there's actually a deal in place.
and they have been really lackluster with their pro patches in the past as well. I also don't think there's gonna be much of a difference between the PS4 pro version played on a PS5 and the Series X version. the game might run at 60fps on Series X and that's most likely it.

Bridges

I expect it to not do too great on Xbox , were sales numbers for Kiwami and Kiwami 2 decent?
Like anything else that launches on Gamepass, those metrics are no longer indicative of if the release was successful.

Like A Dragon will be very interesting since it'll be the first time a Yakuza game launches on Xbox without being simultaneously added to Game Pass. I still don't think it'll do great since anyone who only plays on Xbox has a 5 game gap. I personally couldn't be more excited for the game but I won't be picking it up until 3-6 are available.

Top Bottom