• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 or Sifu? Which is the better Playstation brawler?

Better?

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Help me out here gaf, I'm going to pick up a 3D brawler, and I want the best around.

tommy-boy-chris-farley.gif

They're very different games. Yakuza has way more story, and it'll be free with PS Plus Extra around the middle of this month, along with several other games in the series. I'd also start with Yakuza 1, because I think Yakuza 0 works better when you know the events that follow.

Sifu is good, but much harder (if you don't play on easy), way shorter, and way less story.

HAYA8U5A

I prefer Yakuza but these couldn't be any more different so hard to compare or suggest one. If it is specifically the brawling aspect you are looking for then Sifu is more about the brawling while it is just an element of Yakuza games and arguably one of the weakest elements of those.

Even thought they both fall under the "brawler" category, they are very different experiences. Sifu is a short burst of non-stop action, while Yakuza 0 (along with the rest of the series) is a long story sprinkled with brawling sequences and mini-games. Play Sifu first, then move on to Yakuza!

Hugare

I loved Yakuza 0, but not because of the combat system. Play it for the story.

It's good enough, but not satisfying or complex enough to support 40+ hours of gameplay.

You have different fighting styles to choose and keep things varied, but you'll probably stick to one or two. Punching feels good but you cant deflect or dodge mid-punch, so fighting becomes slow and not very fluid imo.

Sifu gameplay wise is way better than Yakuza 0. And it helps that its a very short game, so it doesnt overstay its welcome.

consoul

Yakuza Zero is a fantastic game with entertaining characters, a solid story and brawler action that I'd recommend to everyone.

If you just want a straight brawler with not a lot else going on, then go Sifu.

nowhat

I'd also start with Yakuza 1, because I think Yakuza 0 works better when you know the events that follow.
I'd argue it's the other way around - had I not played Zero first, the events in Kiwami/1 (which I think is the weakest entry in the series by far) would have been even more meaningless.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sifu is the better technical brawler, but it’s execution is flawed. Yakuza is more arcade style fun that you’re more likely to finish.

I'd also start with Yakuza 1, because I think Yakuza 0 works better when you know the events that follow.
Horrible advice.

No.

I'd argue it's the other way around - had I not played Zero first, the events in Kiwami/1 (which I think is the weakest entry in the series by far) would have been even more meaningless.
Pretty much this.

(Although I'd disagree about Kiwami 1 being the weakest entry, it's got some really good things going for it.)

Raven117

Yakuza for the Story. Sifu for actual gameplay.

Go with Yakuza...its such a ride...and being your first one? Oh man...perfection. (That said, there are two plot points that happen in Yakuza 1, that I think would make Yakuza 0 better).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yakuza is the better Japanese Tourism Simulator. The fighting is just casual. The game is long and full of content, some goofy, some serious.

Sifu is the best 3D brawler combat system ever made, but it's buried in a short roguelike.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Buy Yakuza, sifu gets repetitive and annoying while Yakuza is a beautiful experience. Although on PC is fantastic with all the mods.
maxresdefault.jpg

//DEVIL//

Sifu sucks. I really didn't like it at all.

It's just frustrating game . Even when I played in god mod just to finish the story I was bored.

Graphics are ugly too. Like wtf who thought this looked good ?

Yakuza 0 all the way. Also sleeping dogs on PC for 4k 60fps

Last edited:

Fbh

They are waaaay different.

Sifu has the better combat but it's pretty light on content (5 short-ish levels) and has more of a roguelite design focused on replaying those 5 levels over and over as you unlock new skills and try to die as little as possible.

Yakuza is basically more of an RPG, it's way more story focused and also puts a lot of emphasis on exploring the various locations, completing sidequests, doing side activites and mini games, etc. The combat is fun but less technical and unless you use some house rules it's also really easy even on the hardest difficulty.

I enjoyed Sifu but as a whole package I definitely liked Yakuza 0 more. If you decide to play it and want to get more from the combat I recommend not using healing items during boss battles, that way you can't just button mash your way through everything and actually have to start learning enemy patterns and getting into the more technical aspects of the combat system.

Last edited:

yurinka

Buy Fight 'n rage, TMNT and Streets of Rage 4. They are real -and awesome- brawlers.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I was very disappointed with my gaming experience in Yakuza 0 and i have not played Sifu, but im going to vote Sifu by default because based on the clips i saw and word from friends it appears to be the better combat mechanics game, so as a brawler its probably better.
I dont know but i feel Yakuza 0 is kinda overrated, so Sifu by default is my vote lol. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Crayon

Those are way different as others have said. But I'll say that overall as games, sifu is really cool but yak 0 is fucking amazing.

Shifty

Do you want ruthless pursuit of mastery over an uncompromising set of mechanics, or a long-form high quality crime drama underpinned by the zaniest over-the-top punching of dudes that money can buy?

I'd probably go with Yakuza 0 if i had to pick. Sifu is excellent mechanically, but roguelites aren't my bag, and Yakuza packs in a lot more bang for your buck while still having great combat.

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Yakuza, no doubt about it.
It's an incredible experience and 0 is one of the best in the franchise. Absolute masterpiece.
I'd say go for it. Be prepared for long cutscenes, but it's well worth it.

Rac3r

Completely different games, but prob Sifu. Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games off all time but I only recommend playing it if you're interested in the series itself. If you just want to fight people then Sifu will scratch that itch.

Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games off all time but I only recommend playing it if you're interested in the series itself.
I would challenge this. Just like you, Yakuza 0 is one of my favorite games of all time.

But prior to playing it, I didn't have that much interest in the series. A buddy IRL heaped praise on Yakuza 0, and I went in somewhat blind.

7 games and dozens of hours later, it's one of my favorite series of all time. But it did take that leap of faith going into 0.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't mind as long as the challenge is fair and not cheap or clunky

giphy.gif
There's nothing cheap about Sifu. It's actually a great game and I like it a lot. I just suck at it 😤

it's a very technical game. Fighting multiple enemies at once and you have to time your moves just right or they punish you. If that's what you like you should enjoy it.

Top Bottom