• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Y: The Last Man TV Series Has a Showrunner, May Really Actually Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Y: The Last Man TV Series Has a Showrunner, May Really Actually Happen

gcuyzvomtbrmbfaijaeo.jpg

It’s been over a year since we learned the long-awaited adaptation of Bryan K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s beloved Vertigo comic series Y: The Last Man was really happening. But with scarce news about the promised TV show since, we’d started to wonder if we’d ever see it. Today, things took an encouraging turn.

The Hollywood Reporter brings news that FX has brought Michael Green aboard as Y: The Last Man’s showrunner; he will also co-write the the script with Vaughan. The 60-issue Y: The Last Man series begins after a plague has wiped every man from Earth save one: the titular Yorick, who roams the planet looking for answers (and meeting some kick-ass women) alongside his pet monkey, Ampersand. If the show gets picked up by FX—which had no comment for THR—it will be produced by Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson, who had a recent hit for the network with The People v. O.J. Simpson.

And Green’s genre cred is legit: his current gig is co-showrunning (with Bryan Fuller) the upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s American Gods for Starz. His resume also includes producing credits on shows like Heroes and Smallville, and co-writing credits on Logan, Alien: Covenant, and Blade Runner 2049.

I don't want FX to do this. Right now I don't feel well so I am pretty negative that this will be good, but who knows I might feel differently about this tomorrow.

A series was the only way the comic would have worked anyway. I was baffled a few years back when they pitched it as a single film.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The Preacher we got was as good as it was going to get. Much better than I expected honestly.
My expectations were very low, and I thought it was garbage. Cassidy (and maybe the angel duo) was the only redeeming value and faithfully adapted character.

oh it's not a movie anymore? thank fuck
Yeah that is good at least. Can't see this story work in a short format.

Xe4

Banned
Well, at least it's not a movie. We'll ee how good it turns out. TWD turned out only ok/good, and this will be even harder to adapt than that. Still, I'll keep an eye on it.

Loved the comic to death, so I'll try not to hold it to an impossible standard.

IrishNinja

damn, people vs OJ was fantastic - could be great news, and this show could work

Ehhhh

I hope it'll be a better adaptation than Preacher, at least.

The Preacher we got was as good as it was going to get. Much better than I expected honestly.

FX puts out good stuff, so I'm looking forward to what they come up with.

yeah, it was better than i'd feared in the first half, but then promptly fell the fuck off a cliff for me, sadly

oh it's not a movie anymore? thank fuck

also this

jurgen

FX makes TV just as well as anyone though...

Y: The Last Man isn't just naughty words like Preacher and can easily work on a basic cable channel.

Yeah, Preacher had the misfortune of being on AMC which is only allowed to have one decent show at a time for some bizarre reason.

FX has been on fire recently and is willing to take risks. I'm looking forward to this.

Man, I remember buying this graphic novel as it came out and loving them, but for whatever reason stopped and never finished. I guess I need to start back over and finish reading it. Didn't the movie Children of Men pretty much have a similar premise? I remember wondering if it was inspired by Y: The Last Man.

Xe4

Banned
Man, I remember buying this graphic novel as it came out and loving them, but for whatever reason stopped and never finished. I guess I need to start back over and finish reading it. Didn't the movie Children of Men pretty much have a similar premise? I remember wondering if it was inspired by Y: The Last Man.
No, Children of Men was (loosley) adapted from the 1992 novel of the same name.

Dalek

In Children of Men no one can get pregnant.

In Y every male animal on the planet drops dead at the exact same second except for Yorick and Ampersand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom