• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Y: The Last Man | Alas

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
zAB6piu.png

TRAILER

Summary​

Based on the critically acclaimed DC Comics (Vertigo) series from writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Pia Guerra. A mysterious event kills all mammals in the world with a Y chromosome save for one man, Yorick Brown, and his pet monkey Ampersand. The story follows the duo across a post-apocalyptic world struggling to reshape itself in a new reality without men

Cast​

OeQWQop.jpg
Ben Schnetzner - Yorick Brown
Aspiring escape artist, the last man on Earth​
1WNEX9F.jpg
Olivia Thirlby - Hero Brown
Yorick's sister, NYC EMT
vge9urp.jpg
Ashley Romans - Agent 355
Agent of the Culper Ring
qP0dTRI.jpg
Diane Lane - Jennifer Brown
The mother, Congress woman
38laxpW.jpg
Amber Tamblyn - Kimberly Cunningham
Thinly-veiled parody of a certain daytime TV co-host
Az6LkJh.jpg
Elliot Fletcher - Sam Jordan
Some person following around Hero

The first three episodes were released on September 13th, 2021. Additional episodes air Mondays on Hulu:

They're trans, and yes there were some in the comics as well.

Did you even read the comic? Because it didn't feature any trans characters.
Sam Jordan didn't exist in the comics either. On occasion Yorick pretended to be trans to hide that he's male, but that's it.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
At what point does the entertainment industry stop making dystopian "entertainment?? And who in the world is still watching these things when reality is depressing enough? I'd rather watch a random episode of Three's Company than this trash.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Did you even read the comic? Because it didn't feature any trans characters.
Sam Jordan didn't exist in the comics either. On occasion Yorick pretended to be trans to hide that he's male, but that's it.

Yes, I read the comics. There were a few instances of trans background characters but none were major characters. It was also mentioned at least once that transgendered men still exist, but that all transgendered women perished.

So yea I know about the rest of what you mentioned.

They are probably going to erase all traces of the transgressive/provocative aspects of this excellent comic, or, even worse, might invert them, betraying the spirit of the series. I would be shocked otherwise...

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not really feeling the show. Agent 355 related stuff is awesome, that actress gets good scenes and is playing everyone like a fiddle. But Y is a beta cuck and it is infuriating. His mom and all her political drama is crass, low brow, and as subtle as a dump truck. I kinda hope the "old guard GOP" ladies sweep her right out.

They sorta acknowledge that without men all the important infrastructure shit almost immediately falls to pieces. But it doesn't feel like they acknowledge it enough, or how incredibly lopsided it now is. There are only tangential things like how half the population remaining is incapable of clearing the dead or organizing in any meaningful way.

I wish this was a "competent humanity bands together to solve an existential crisis" but it looks to have a lot of juvenile interpersonal drama that doesn't interest me. I wanted to see folks figure out how they are gonna survive without mammals in a few years/decades even if humanity persists, the cascade effect of no truck drivers and how hard it is to bootstrap women into those roles, medical/scientific folks really thinking about what happened, especially since we are living in a somewhat mini version of it right now.

But nope. Just every woman in a shitty relationship so who cares that that douchebag hubby is dead or "I'm so sorry I cheated with your hubby, hope you feel better now 'cause I sure do!". The transmen whining that they now have to explain what they are AGAIN....oh NO'S! And Y.....fuck that guy. All I want is for Agent 355 to slap him silly and give him the Bruce Willis "Cowboy the FUCK UP!" speech from "Tears of the Sun" since his momma is too pussy to do it.

Christ i put this one....i just wante to watch something interesting....no right away its filled to the brim with cartoon character nonsense....its like....ive never seen the writers but i bet i know what their twitter accounts look like

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm liking it so far. Sure it's another apocalypse show, but at least the main hook is unique enough. Haven't read the source material so I can't say if it is at all faithful. Yorick is a little too whiny and out of touch with the brutal reality he's in, but I have hopes that the character will improve as time goes on.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm liking it so far. Sure it's another apocalypse show, but at least the main hook is unique enough. Haven't read the source material so I can't say if it is at all faithful. Yorick is a little too whiny and out of touch with the brutal reality he's in, but I have hopes that the character will improve as time goes on.

They've made a few radical departures, especially with his sister Hero and how rapidly the plot moved along. I get why they did so for the format of television but I wish they hadn't.

As for Yorick, he changes as the story goes along, opens up. But in the meantime remember what Hamlet said about poor Yorick.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hang on, this show "rapidly moves the plot" compared to the comic? Wow. I thought the show took a glacial pace considering the thing I think most viewers care about is WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!? and not "Look, they are gaslighting an old lady to hide the SAVIOR OF HUMANITY!" drama nonsense.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
If I remember correctly from the comics...Yorick gets way more mature, responsible, and all around more likeable as the story progresses, everyone. :)

Also, I think the trans men being alive is a very interesting side element. Being a transsexual woman myself...if the story were real, I would have perished along with every male because of my chromosomes. Estradiol and surgeries can work small miracles, but that pesky Y chromosome is quite the tenacious little burden.

200.gif

Last edited:

dorkimoe

So if i am understanding what I am seeing, the trans man lived which basically proves that just because you change identities doesnt mean you defy science and your chromosomes. era going to have a FIT.

So far its ok, nothing great, will keep going to see how it plays out, but yeah lots of whiny characters.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hang on, this show "rapidly moves the plot" compared to the comic? Wow. I thought the show took a glacial pace considering the thing I think most viewers care about is WTF JUST HAPPENED?!?!? and not "Look, they are gaslighting an old lady to hide the SAVIOR OF HUMANITY!" drama nonsense.

Yea, in the comics a whole lot more interesting and entertaining stuff happened before he reunited with his mother, Hero went through a far more interesting arc after her introduction, and Yorick and others pondered on the origins of the calamity (I won't spoil any of the possible causes).

Basically, I was really enjoying it through the first two episodes despite the departures from the source, but once I was done with the third I reigned back my expectations a great deal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just watched ep4. I do not like how they're immediately going in new directions but I admit it's OK. Hero's arc is feeling good again and this actress is really good. They're getting the 355 and Yorick banter right.

This might turn out to be OK.

Mossybrew

At what point does the entertainment industry stop making dystopian "entertainment?? And who in the world is still watching these things when reality is depressing enough? I'd rather watch a random episode of Three's Company than this trash.

I like this spicy take. Honestly I've never heard of the comic and this show looks pretty dumb and yeah, seems like kindof a downer.

Pilgrimzero

Despite them fluffing the heck out of it (they would have to much like Walking Dead). Im really liking it. Can't wait for the Amazons to show up and get dealt with.

Pilgrimzero

I like this spicy take. Honestly I've never heard of the comic and this show looks pretty dumb and yeah, seems like kindof a downer.

I think the main issue with the tone is the comic version of Yorick is sarcastic and quippy he's the spot of humor in what is essentially the end of the world.

He's not that way in the tv show...

Nico_D

Considering watching this but does this have gender politics/lecturing? Or just human beings who make stupid shit regardless of their gender?

GeorgPrime

Banned
Considering watching this but does this have gender politics/lecturing? Or just human beings who make stupid shit regardless of their gender?

Its about a man being the most valuable good on the planet while the women complain that they cant find real men aside from transgender. ;)

His mother literally saying "we cant find men.... at least no men with y chromosome"

jason10mm

Gold Member
I only watched the first few eps but I was ASTOUNDED they didn't have a pre-existing lesbian couple just to be a happy "we still have each other and no kids to mourn" contrast to all the bitter hetero-relationships marred by death. There is definite political pandering but it isn't really gender based. Any of the later eps (post helicopter stuff) get any better?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Episode 6 down - I feel like it is finally hitting its stride - focusing almost 100% of its attention on Yorick and 355. The energy this episode felt more upbeat, especially with the introduction of Dr Mann.

Their collectively setting out together was the start to my favorite arc of the story from the comics, so fingers crossed they nail it next episode.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I don't like their take on the Amazons arc. The leader is grossly hackneyed - just boringly lazy writing.

And this week we're also back to them focusing more on the side stories of the new characters than on Yorick's - which feels so bizarre even as a TV adaptation.

No sure how much longer I'm gonna last. I am starting to get the feeling that after all these years they chose the wrong creators to launch and run this thing.

Pilgrimzero

They somehow missed the comic was a somewhat humorous adventure in a post apocalyptic world and not a dark political drama full of awful people.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They somehow missed the comic was a somewhat humorous adventure in a post apocalyptic world and not a dark political drama full of awful people.

Comic spoilers ahead! Warning! TV spoilers don't really matter any longer seeing as they wildly departed from the source material and got their dumb asses cancelled quickly because of it.

Their biggest problem was trying to transform the story. It was always (comics wise, you know why any of us gave a shit about this show to begin with) about Yorick being forced into the role of savior, something he was not ever prepared for and was not man enough to do from the get go. The entire point of the comic was following this joker of a character through his life accidentally rebuilding the world despite him being too weak to actually contribute at the start, and finally into an old elderly man who in the final frame of the comic said Alas, and absconded, finally finding his strength, escaping back into the wild of the new world - back to the freedom he always wanted - his entire worth in the end being nothing more than his genetic material.

Instead the show runner(s?) focused more on the side characters and their uninteresting West Wing type stories while ignoring everything that made the comic great.

I know BKV sought creators that would be unafraid to change his vision in an adaptation, and that's cool. But when they are willing to change such a classic story into something it never was there is no surprise it didn't resonate with any audience and got cancelled before its first season was over. I liked that they introduced a main trans character so they could confront the kinds of circumstances that would obviously arise in such a bleak future, but they fucked it up and made even that side story boring.

Anyways, if they find a new home I hope they jettison the show runner(s) and get some creators on board who actually read and understand the source.

Yeah, the most recent episode(8) just reeks of juvenile, amateur, feminist ramblings without having anything deep or profound to say. The redhead finds some way to leverage Roxanne’s dirty past against her…and we got nothing. Just “we are woman! Hear us roar!” Even though they’re living the most comfortable, closeted existence. Is it really surprising that this dross got canceled?

Kimahri

Banned
I hope this keeps happening. When a show is more about who's making it and their politics than it is out their ability to create engaging stories, it deserves to fail.

There are too many storytellers who fail upwards and get to work on things they have no right being anywhere near these days.

The more failures like this we get, the higher the hopes executives will realize it is in the good story their moneybags are waiting.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Then the story today in Variety will be:

"Men tune out Y:The Last Man because of too many strong female characters" (not even mentioning that no women were probably watching it.... AT ALL)

Hollywood never learns the lesson.

Not surprised. I was hyped by the trailer as I'm a sucker for a dystopian future sci fi project. The first episode was okay. And then it started being all political and preachy and any scene without 355 in it was just boring and political.

I dropped it from my watched shows a couple of episodes ago.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, this is one of the best "get woke, go broke" examples so far. Though I think TDS played more of a part in why the political stuff was so bad. There were some good female characters in the eps I watched, Agent 355 being the stand out. But WOW, no relationship was healthy in that show, a lot of toxic repressed experience bubbling up, one of the exec producers should have stepped in to tone it down.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Saw the last episode. So glad this feminist woke trash got cancelled

I don't even know if it was feminist. I rewatched the final two episodes a second time trying to figure out what they were going for but am at a loss. For me it had its ups and downs (see this thread) but overall, it is a far cry from the what Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra put down on paper. It fizzled out so miserably.

Perhaps one day in the future some producers will find some quality writers to truly adapt this, but despite being over the moon to see one of my favorite comics finally come to life, I am glad this shit died after one season. They chose the absolute worst creators available to make this thing, that much is painfully clear now.

Last edited:
I don't even know if it was feminist. I rewatched the final two episodes a second time trying to figure out what they were going for but am at a loss. For me it had its ups and downs (see this thread) but overall, it is a far cry from the what Brian K Vaughan and Pia Guerra put down on paper. It fizzled out so miserably.

Perhaps one day in the future some producers will find some quality writers to truly adapt this, but despite being over the moon to see one of my favorite comics finally come to life, I am glad this shit died after one season. They chose the absolute worst creators available to make this thing, that much is painfully clear now.
Let me just say the comic is way better

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

"Y: The Last Man is about gender, about how oppressive systems inform identity" 🤮

It's no wonder it didn't turn out well...

"Gender diverse, but led by women at almost every corner of the production."

Good grief.... A lack of self-awareness so profound that they can't even tweet-brag without being self contradictory.

sol_bad

I'm kind of glad this wasn't available on a proper streaming service in Australia and didn't waste time on it. Even people who enjoyed it at the start seemed to dislike it towards the end of the first season. I guess if it gets revived somewhere else I'll keep an eye on how future seasons go. I'll jump in later if word of mouth becomes more positive.

I'm kind of glad this wasn't available on a proper streaming service in Australia and didn't waste time on it. Even people who enjoyed it at the start seemed to dislike it towards the end of the first season. I guess if it gets revived somewhere else I'll keep an eye on how future seasons go. I'll jump in later if word of mouth becomes more positive.
It’s available on Binge. Not that anyone is watching it on there.

Top Bottom