• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX Wireless Headsets

I am new to wireless headsets so the windows surround is new to me. Looking to use them on W10 and iPhone as well. I saw the LucidSound LS35X, Astro A50 and SteelSeries Arctis 9X. The steel series looks good aside from the smaller drivers.

Can someone tell me how 7.1, dolby atmos and windows surround works with these headsets? I would think we might see some sales this week.

TheShocker

I’ve had the 9x for about a year now. Purchased the Dolby Atmos license for them and have been happy with the results. Atmos is better than the windows sonic IMO. Cant comment on the other two headsets as I’ve never used them, but have heard great things about the astros.

Hakiroto

I had the 9X earlier this year when I had an Xbox One X and they were great. The sound was awesome, they were comfortable, and you don't need to use a little USB adapter, which is cool.

I had the 9X earlier this year when I had an Xbox One X and they were great. The sound was awesome, they were comfortable, and you don't need to use a little USB adapter, which is cool.
How does Windows surround work? It it 7.1 mixed? You have any disconnect issues the reviews are complaining about?

Hakiroto

How does Windows surround work? It it 7.1 mixed? You have any disconnect issues the reviews are complaining about?

Regarding your first question, I'm unfortunately not sure. As far as I know it's standard virtual 7.1 using Windows Sonic but, like somebody else said, you can also buy a Dolby Atmos license if you want. How much better/different that is, I don't know. As for your second question, no, I didn't have any problems but I recall reading how having your router fairly close to your setup could cause problems. Luckily, mine was in another room so maybe I dodged that bullet. I sold my Xbox One X and the headset earlier this year but if I was to buy another headset for the Series X I'd likely go for the same.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Need some input. Looking for a new headset as well for my Series X. I hear the 9x's have a lot of wireless connectivity issues. What other headsets are you all using?

ThirdC

I have replaced my Sennheiser PC360 with an Arctis 7x a view months ago. For the price it’s one of the best allround headsets I ever owned. If you want to use it with Bluetooth devices too, you have to go with the 9x.

Night.Ninja

Banned
My 9x's got delivered yesterday, flawless none of those issues I was hearing about the new firmware update seems to have fixed all that.

Very impressed so far, I haven't bought the dolby license yet, the windows sonic option sounds great so far but I will give that 7-day trial ago see if I notice a difference.

The only issue I have is that you to connect them to a PC to update the firmware is 2020 they should have released an app so that you could update it over Bluetooth.

Overall I'm impressed I've only tried cyberpunk and Assassin's Creed origins so far but I'm going to give control ago because audio are really sounds amazing in that already.

I’ve had the 9x for about a year now. Purchased the Dolby Atmos license for them and have been happy with the results. Atmos is better than the windows sonic IMO. Cant comment on the other two headsets as I’ve never used them, but have heard great things about the astros.

Did you notice a big difference between Dolby and the windows option?

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
The SteelSeries Arctis 7X is probably the best option now available for the Xbox. Not only it works very well with it but it will also work with PC and PS.

I've had a number of headsets for xbox including Astro with MixAmp, Steelseries Siberia 800 and Arctis Pro Wireless. I later moved to a bluetooth transmitter supporting aptx low latency along with Sennheiser Momentum 3 and Modmic Uni. I recently sold up however as the heavily compressed aptx low latency experience was terrible (the death knell was the removal of the optical port on Series X meaning I had to connect via optical on my tv - had to change audio output on tv every time and it was a pain). Having previously owned headsets and headphones worth a considerable amount of money I decided this time to go with the fantastic Razer Kaira Pro. The audio/mic quality is identical to the very well received blackshark range as it features the same drivers/mic tech. The only issue with it is the horrible green used on both the earcushions and band (just not to my taste and coverable/replaceable). You should definitely have a look into the Kaira Pro OP.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is the best Xbox headset

JJg4dqe.jpg

subbing for more opinions, I am in the market as well. The Atmost license is on sale right now for $12 and works on 10 devices. Not a bad deal.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

JJg4dqe.jpg
How they sound, do you have some experience with higher end headphones? How they stack up? I mean just the cable does not inspire much confidence, that it's going to transport sound without additional noise and stuff.... But I could be wrong.

Also really great composition of the picture : )

Moogle11

Banned
The SteelSeries Arctis 7X is probably the best option now available for the Xbox. Not only it works very well with it but it will also work with PC and PS.
Yep. Have had them for a bit over two weeks as I needed something could use on XSX, PS5, PS and Switch. Sound quality is good to this non-audiophile, no audio dropouts (had a ton on XSX with headphones plugged into my Elite B1 controller), long battery life and they’re comfy. I did spring for the leather ear cups from Steelseries though as I never like fabric ones.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

JJg4dqe.jpg
Don't forget to change the sound mix because Apple decided to inverse the polarity of 3.5mm plug :)

Tempted to get the 7X and Dolby Atmos add-on. The problem is I game at night and the kids are in the next room, I kinda need to be able to hear them.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
Yep. Have had them for a bit over two weeks as I needed something could use on XSX, PS5, PS and Switch. Sound quality is good to this non-audiophile, no audio dropouts (had a ton on XSX with headphones plugged into my Elite B1 controller), long battery life and they’re comfy. I did spring for the leather ear cups from Steelseries though as I never like fabric ones.
How do they keep out outside noise? I'm tempted to make the purchase my self

recursive

Whats your option on DTX?

The 9x's are pretty good, the Bluetooth option is so handy.
I find the dts to be better for 7.1 virtual. Dolby atmos headphones doesn't sound much different than stereo to me in non dolby atmos content. The front sound stage sounds pulled in to the sides and makes it disorienting for me depending on the games I play especially shooters. Dts headphone has better separation in 7.1 imo.

Moogle11

Banned
How do they keep out outside noise? I'm tempted to make the purchase my self

Havent used them with a lot of outside noise so can’t really say. The leather cups I got do deal pretty nice, but there’s no active noise canceling or anything. Max volume isn’t super loud either if that matters. It’s too loud for me to use all the way up, but I use way closer to max than I did my Sony Golds.

Top Bottom