• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX vs PS5 TFlop delta is WAY overblown

quest

Not Banned from OT
PlayStation fans are just butthurt

Literally copy and pasted that. Sorry, not sorry. Truth is truth.

I do agree that it's overblown and Sony fans are making it worse by posting all these panic threads.
I say it is more of a coordinated effort from Sony and their team at damage control. They sent out all their developers to sing praises for the PS5 and only storage speed matters. This is the reverse of 2013 Sony under estimated the new Microsoft team and thought a 36 CU APU would win. They found out differently and started the race to overclock to the moon.

SoraNoKuni

People underplay the SSD, devs can offload some of CPU/GPU work by using such a fast memory pool which is literally almost like a DDR3 Ram.

Sure most multiplatforms will look better on XSX but Sony's exclusives will set the standard once again.

Sony will provide the best overall experience with it's exclusives and audio innovation. Microsoft will provide the best visuals on multiplats.

This SSD is expensive to make and they could add a faster GPU if they used a cheaper SSD, but they chose the SSD for a reason, we'll see how it pays off.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I say it is more of a coordinated effort from Sony and their team at damage control. They sent out all their developers to sing praises for the PS5 and only storage speed matters. This is the reverse of 2013 Sony under estimated the new Microsoft team and thought a 36 CU APU would win. They found out differently and started the race to overclock to the moon.
True, but the resulting games are what's going to matter when it comes down to it. Both systems will be great, bottom line.

MilkyJoe

"So the PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's."

You forgot to mention the bus, 😂

And one more time - the PS5 has an OS and audio etc too. Just because Lord Cerny didn't mention the Ram reservation, it doesn't mean it magically doesn't apply.

" Clocks
PS5 GPU clocks are 22% faster than the XSX (2.23Ghz vs 1.825GHz)"

😂 Come on now.

Last edited:

martino

"So the PS5's ram is 34% faster than 6GB's of the Series X's, whilst 10GB of the Series X's ram is 25% faster than the PS5's."

You forgot to mention the bus, 😂

And one more time - the PS5 has an OS and audio etc too. Just because Lord Cerny didn't mention the Ram reservation, it doesn't mean it magically doesn't apply.

" Clocks
PS5 GPU clocks are 22% faster than the XSX (2.23Ghz vs 1.825GHz)"

😂 Come on now.

if it was possible he would have talked only about ssd....but people are sadly not that unknowledgeable

It really isn't overblown at all because we have a pretty damn good idea of what the architecture can do, and RDNA 2 is even better on top of the advancements we know were already made for RDNA. Nobody downplays how good the SSD will be for games, but the SSD isn't responsible for processing and rendering your graphics workloads, a pretty important job. The SSD plays an important role that cannot be downplayed. It's important, the work it does is essential. Full stop, but the GPU, CPU, Memory bandwidth aren't inconsequential at all. They're a pretty damn big deal.

That said, I see everybody just blowing right past the importance of a clearly faster CPU (that doesn't throttle in either 8 core mode or SMT mode). That's the big fat elephant in the room. The clearly faster Zen 2 CPU that has its clockspeeds locked. If the CPU was the biggest bottleneck all of last gen, bigger even than the hard drives, why suddenly is the CPU being overlooked now that the one we've been waiting for has arrived?

If we slot in either the SSDs available this upcoming gen along with their impressive I/O setups, or the Zen 2 CPUs, you can only pick one or the other, it is the Zen 2 CPUs, not the SSDs and the I/O setup, that make the biggest difference by far for the current PS4 and Xbox One gen of consoles, especially PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

And people may treat the PS5 GPU like it's truly a 10.2TF GPU, but we know in all actuality it isn't. It's an advertised boost clock. We don't know the low end or where it will be when the game is pushing the system hard. Sony didn't tell us that for a reason, the reasons are purely PR.

Pairing a 12TF RDNA 2 GPU with a Zen 2 CPU as fast as what the Series X runs it at where none of them throttle ever with more memory bandwidth to play with.. plus a pretty impressive SSD I/O setup of their own that we've seen capable of quickly swapping between 5-6 different games (where none take advantage of the system's new capabilities) with 5-8 seconds in between each switch is nothing to play with on an overall system performance level.

Series X also has Gears 5 running with features beyond PC Ultra quality on 2 weeks of work, 4K, already runs at over 100FPS on Series X. That beats even the RTX 2080 Ti. And this is before the console's newer, more advanced features are even taken into account. Digital Foundry saw performance benchmarks that equal an RTX 2080 before the GPU's best features enter the fray. This level of performance is not overblown, it's looking like a real monster of a setup.

Series X isn't just a teraflop number anymore. We have actual real video demonstrations and game benchmarks now.

Dabaus

Banned
Absolutely overblown. If Ps5 is the market leader devs will focus and and cater to Ps5 just like they are now between the pro and Xbox one X. I’ve seen multiple games reach 60 FPS on the pro but not that X because ps4 is the priority because 80?percent of the sales come from it. The delta between the pro and X is much wider than what will be between the Ps5 and series x. And we’re not yet factoring how much of an anchor the lockheart will be on game design not only for Xbox consoles but for Xbox exclusives as well. 4 vs. 12 IS significant and despite what Microsoft devs tell you WILL be factor in game design.

Last edited:
We simply don’t know the performance delta until several multiplats have been tested, the raw specs only give an idea. For example the Xbox One X performed even better than the paper spec difference between PS4 Pro suggested. So that could be the case again, or the PS5 might punch above its weight too.

Infact we probably have to wait longer because launch window games never take full use of the new hardware. Maybe by Holiday 2022 we will have some real answers.

There were also cases where Xbox One X multiplat games would run at native 4K with inconsistent frame rate meanwhile the PS4 pro would have it checkeboarded 4K or 1440p-1800p with consistent frame rates. But yes there have been games that did signifantly better on One X, most notably RDR 2 at native 4K, Rise of the Tomb Raider to name a few.

Absolutely overblown. If Ps5 is the market leader devs will focus and and cater to Ps5 just like they are now between the pro and Xbox one X. I’ve seen multiple games reach 60 FPS on the pro but not that X because ps4 is the priority because 80?percent of the sales come from it. The delta between the pro and X is much wider than what will be between the Ps5 and series x. And we’re not yet factoring how much of an anchor the lockheart will be on game design not only for Xbox consoles but for Xbox exclusives as well. 4 vs. 12 IS significant and despite what Microsoft devs tell you WILL be factor in game design.

Xbox One X gets fully exploited by developers far more than the PS4 Pro does and PS4 was the market leader this gen. The all around support from devs appeared much more notable, with more x-enhanced titles. It seemed like it was a bigger priority to more devs than it was for PS4 Pro. 4 vs 12 if lockhart ends up coming out isn't impacting game design, or do you actually believe game design is limited by teraflop count? Lockhart will do what series X does (same CPU, same SSD and I/o arrangement, similar featured GPU just way weaker, less RAM and presumably mem bandwidth), only at a lower resolution.

I just want to see what the ps5 can do and this is where sony have gone wrong. Microsoft are being so open about what they are doing, and it seems sony are way behind them in everything. It’s very odd and i can only think Sony had to make a last minute change to their architecture to bring it closer to series x. I would have preferred sony stick to a stable 9.2tf and a standard ssd to prevent it from over heating. They could then sell it for £400 or less. They will both have the same price, which will make some playstation 4 owners switch to xbox series x. I’m getting a ps5 for sure, but am very tempted to have the series x next to it just for the better multiplatform ports and the ability to play their back catalogue of games, many of which i have not played.

Last edited:

Stuart360

2-3TF better depending on PS5's overclock, and thats 2-3 RDNA2 Tf as well. faster cpu (and as a PC gamer who overclocks, a few hundred mhz on a cpu is not to be sniffed at), and faster ram.
PS5 has a faster SSD, which may or may not even be utilized fully by devs, especially in multiplatform games where the real world differences will probably be games loading a few seconds faster on PS5.
This is just like when we got PS4 and XB1 specs, and the downplaying began.

People underplay the SSD, devs can offload some of CPU/GPU work by using such a fast memory pool which is literally almost like a DDR3 Ram.

Sure most multiplatforms will look better on XSX but Sony's exclusives will set the standard once again.

Sony will provide the best overall experience with it's exclusives and audio innovation. Microsoft will provide the best visuals on multiplats.

This SSD is expensive to make and they could add a faster GPU if they used a cheaper SSD, but they chose the SSD for a reason, we'll see how it pays off.

I feel you but yesterday didn’t we learn that the XsX also has instant access to 100gigs of ultra fast storage? Seems like they both have fun tricks for their SSDs?

CJY

Banned
Just thought I'd run the numbers quickly...

xjmTsrX.png

Just to be clear about why PS4 was 1080P and Xbox One was 900P in most games. PS4 has ~40% more flops, therefore capable of the 44% more pixels than Xbone.

Also, that's why XboneX games were often 4K when PS4 Pro games were 1800P. XboneX has ~45% more flops, therefore capable of the 44% more pixels than Pro.

I really don't know what XSX is going to do with just 17% more flops.

I think both will push 4K resolution as a minimum to be honest and maybe XSX will go for what, 2500P and downsample? Lol

xjmTsrX.png

Just to be clear about why PS4 was 1080P and Xbox One was 900P in most games. PS4 has ~40% more flops, therefore capable of the 44% more pixels than Xbone.

Also, that's why XboneX games were often 4K when PS4 Pro games were 1800P. XboneX has ~45% more flops, therefore capable of the 44% more pixels than Pro.

I think both will push 4K resolution as a minimum to be honest and maybe XSX will go for what, 2500P and downsample? Lol
It's not 17%, it's 18% at MINIMUM because Sony's system will downclock when it's being heavily stressed and thermals become a limitation.

So the reality is the more demanding the game; the weaker the PS5's rendering and processing capabilities become. It's the weirdest hardware design I think I've ever seen.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
It's not 17%, it's 18% at MINIMUM because Sony's system will downclock when it's being heavily stressed and thermals become a limitation.

So the reality is the more demanding the game; the weaker the PS5's rendering and processing capabilities become.
OKOK, 18% :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SleepDoctor

Banned

xjmTsrX.png

You guys ain't dizzy from all this spinning? Lol

12.1 > 9.2 -10.2 is way bigger than 1.4 vs 1.8 or 4.2 vs 6.

Just buy what you like and stop crying. Or write this nonsense on a little piece of paper and put it over your bed to make yourself believe it cuz nobody else is buying the spin.

CJY

Banned

Just buy what you like and stop crying. Or write this nonsense on a little piece of paper and put it over your bed to make yourself believe it cuz nobody else is buying the spin.
Not seeing the spin. Just the facts mate.

SoraNoKuni

I feel you but yesterday didn’t we learn that the XsX also has instant access to 100gigs of ultra fast storage? Seems like they both have fun tricks for their SSDs?
Of course they would take advantage of their SSD despite that Sony's implementation is on another level.

It will be interesting to see who will deliver the best experience, I personally prefer a better overall experience compared to a bit better visuals, for that I have my PC.
But I can understand people who want pure visual fidelity but don't want to get a PC find the XSX really appealing.

Both consoles will be good :).

LordKasual

Banned

This.

Shit is overblown so much, you people are so focused on what's different that you are completely ignoring what's similar.

Even if we take the total TFLOP capability of both systems at face and ABSOLUTE value (which is stupid), the difference is literally LESS than the PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X, where the latter was designed afterwards and literally with the sole intention of being stronger than the PS4 Pro.

The reason the power difference of PS4 vs Xbox One was important is because it was a significant enough gap that it SIGNIFICANTLY affected the way identical games looked and RAN on the hardware.

The difference in PS5 and XSX at its most extreme is still not nearly enough to warrant this kind of performance difference, even if we're talking a sacrifice from Native to Dynamic resolution or upscaling or whatever, it wont be nearly enough to be noticable enough to anyone outside of people who wait for Digital Foundry videos to deliberately dive in and pick out the differences.

Neither of these systems will underperform. Neither of these systems will have bad ports.

XSX will have very powerful displays in their first-party titles.
PS5 will have very powerful displays in their first-party titles.

The exciting part of this discussion is HOW these consoles are going to achieve (essentially) the exact same result with very different methods.

But instead of being excited over the crazy shit we're seeing here, there's a bunch of idiots here who literally only want to hype up how XSX is going to be superior or how PS5 is going to have some magic edge.....

they BOTH have very real edges, and trying to quantify them this early is fucking retarded

Last edited:
Means that the Xbox exclusives will look better than the PS5s
unlikely. Xbox one X has 40% higher specs than ps4 pro, yet ps4 pro has the best looking exclusives. Vastly so. Something like Ghost of Tsushima looks almost like a next gen game not a ps4/xbox one game.

It's not bad but it's still bad compared to the 5.5GB/s of the PS5 (we're talking about 129% difference it's just huge).
An ssd in pc can be over 10x faster than an hdd but only lead to 2x performance increase in practice. Sony did a lot of custom h/w to ensure all bottlenecks were removed and 100x faster in theory than an hdd is 100x in practice. Has microsoft removed all bottlenecks keeping ssds from showing their true potential too? If not the difference in speed can be significantly greater between them.

does not apply to ps5, ps5 has custom i/o h/w( with equivalent to about 11 ryzen cores of performance) that eliminates all bottlenecks keeping an ssd from living up to its full potential.

ps5 could probably load rdr2 over 20+ times faster than the top pc ssd, due to bottlenecks keeping top pc ssds at 2-4x faster than hdd vs ps5 at 100x faster than hdd.

So it might not actually be the same, just using the same principles of how it accelerates raytracing.
I'm still hoping they licensed powervr's ray tracing solution which seems superior.

edit:
Some of the rumors have ps5 apu at 10B transistors vs 15B for the series X, if true cost per transistor suggest series X apu could be 50% more expensive.

Last edited:
So you decided to ignore my first post which provided REAL DISCUSSION and quote this one instead yeah? You're pathetic, you don't want to real discussion all you want is to TRY SO HARD to comfort yourself

I feel sorry for you with that absurd mentality. I am not going to report you but off to the ignore list since you don't add any value

Relax, chainsaw.

xjmTsrX.png

Resolution will be an advantage, sure, but you are missing the big picture. What has Phil Spencer talked about the most in the lead up to Series X, even more than resolution and prettier graphics? Framerate. The big differentiator in most cases will be framerate performance and stability while dishing out the best looking visuals. Will anyone with a PS5 care? Hell no, that system is fucking high end PC ready day one, and will perform like it all gen long. We've hit that point with consoles now where nobody can feel short changed. Hell, I didn't even feel short changed with Xbox One when I had to deal with sub 1080p titles or titles didn't look all the way as good as their PS4 counter-parts, so if I were to say or pretend like PS5 gamers will somehow be suffering out there next gen, I'd be a big ass hypocrite lol.

Power isn't even my greatest focus for these consoles. It's the games and the little features here and there that make me appreciate each in their own unique way. I'm talking about power and performance potential a lot now because that's all we have to talk about. I'm honestly more interested in what the SSDs and I/O setups can achieve because those are the real mysteries for what it will mean for our games. I have a pretty good idea of what more powerful GPUs with more advanced graphical features can do, but then it brings us right back to the GPUs again because the better fed a GPU can be the more it's going to show the hell out in games.

So, yea, get excited. Nobody is sitting this one out. Microsoft produced an amazing system. Sony also produced an amazing system. What happens when we can compare is that gamers who are greedy and always want more will start to feel a certain way if a specific thing doesn't fall in favor of their personal favorite, but in reality it all won't matter. Having the most power will matter to those who demand and clearly want that. For some the decision is as simple as where they can play the next God of War. For others, regardless of where Series X was, they have to play Halo Infinite on launch, no questions asked. So, yea, we're all in for a treat. Only thing I'll say is people need to be LESS sensitive about people saying things about their preferred console they don't like. The tech details are there. And because they're there we're going to talk about them, make assumptions, guesses. Some people won't like what they see said, as clearly evidenced since this information has been out. It's the nature of discussing games on a games forum.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

xjmTsrX.png

X1X games often runs in much higher resolutions than pure flops would seggest and that's thanks to higher memory BW and more RAM for framebuffer. I think something like 3200x1800 on PS5 and full native 4K on XSX could be quite common (with dynamic resolution in place), it's more than TFLOP difference would suggest but Xbox also has higher memory BW, more ROPs and of course we still don't know how stable that "peak" PS5 power is.

Dabaus

Banned
Xbox One X gets fully exploited by developers far more than the PS4 Pro does and PS4 was the market leader this gen. The all around support from devs appeared much more notable, with more x-enhanced titles. It seemed like it was a bigger priority to more devs than it was for PS4 Pro. 4 vs 12 if lockhart ends up coming out isn't impacting game design, or do you actually believe game design is limited by teraflop count? Lockhart will do what series X does (same CPU, same SSD and I/o arrangement, similar featured GPU just way weaker, less RAM and presumably mem bandwidth), only at a lower resolution.
Absolutely game design will be a factor when the delta is 4 vs 12. Xbox guys have been brainwashed into thinking teraflops are the end all be all so it’s odd that an 8 tflop delta all of a sudden doesn’t matter. A weaker cpu, gpu, and ram configuration will ABSOLUTELY effect game design. 10.3 vs 12, assuming Ps5 at 399 (and even if they are both 499) will be the market leader and get the bulk of optimization and attention from 3rd parties.

Armorian

Banned

You clearly don't get how this shit works, do you? Let me give you example:

- for 2TF GPU 1TF is 50% of its power
- for 10TF GPU 1TF is 10% of its power

That's why we use % difference.

Most of the TF since Pro and X1X arrived goes into resolution rendering bascicaly. If you would want to run PS4 game (that is native 1080p) in 4K you would need 7.2 GCN TFLOPS, that's 4x times the amount of what PS4 have and all this power goes into resolution... you can assume that majority of that "between 2-3TF" difference will be "wasted" for higher resolution or 17-30% better performance.

Lort

Banned
The TF and extra CPU can be used in many ways ( let’s just call it 20% when adding both advantages together) ... some not very visible others can be felt.. the choices include...

60 fps compared to 50
20% higher resolution
20% more async compute ( ie more animations )
More graphical effects / accuracy ( more reflections / global illumination/ embellishments)

At 4k extra res isnt going to be noticble so unless the game is struggling to meet 1440p on ps5 I really hope devs use it in signfacnt areas.

Reactions: CJY

Dabaus

Banned
GitHub, 9.2, and team Xbox’s gas lighting on teraflops being the end all be all metrics has done serious psychological damage to some people.

The Ps5 is 10.3, not 9.2.

Accept that. I get it, 12 doesn’t look as good against 10. It remains to be seen but I’d think 399 would the number that matters and between the 2 of them Sony is most likely to be the one to get there.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
You clearly don't get how this shit works, do you? Let me give you example:

- for 2TF GPU 1TF is 50% of its power
- for 10TF GPU 1TF is 10% of its power

That's why we use % difference.

Most of the TF since Pro and X1X arrived goes into resolution rendering bascicaly. If you would want to run PS4 game (that is native 1080p) in 4K you would need 7.2 GCN TFLOPS, that's 4x times the amount of what PS4 have and all this power goes into resolution... you can assume that majority of that "between 2-3TF" difference will be "wasted" for higher resolution or 17-30% better performance.

I get exactly how it works. Its called grasping at any way you can feel better about a weaker system. Numbers don't lie,. You can toss it, spin it, twist it however you want. It doesn't change 12.1 > 9.2.

Had the Ps5 been 12.2, you guys wouldn't shut up about it just like you didn't before the reveal talking all this 14 tf, 13.3, and even 15tf bullshit. It needs to be overclocked just to hit double digits.

So much goddamn crying its pathetic. At least keep it to one thread.

Armorian

Banned
I get exactly how it works. Its called grasping at any way you can feel better about a weaker system. Numbers don't lie,. You can toss it, spin it, twist it however you want. It doesn't change 12.1 > 9.2.

Had the Ps5 been 12.2, you guys wouldn't shut up about it just like you didn't before the reveal talking all this 14 tf, 13.3, and even 15tf bullshit. It needs to be overclocked just to hit double digits.

So much goddamn crying its pathetic. At least keep it to one thread.

Truth is XSX is 17% better in GPU department than PS5 in best case (for PS5 lol) scenario and ~31% better in worst case scenario (if that 9.2TF clock is the real lowest point in final unit, Cerny said about few % drops in clock, not ~10%) so in both cases difference is lower than what was between X1-PS4 and Pro-X1X.

Of course everything changes if VRS is only on Xbox and RT performance and usage in games is still in the air so we will see. And I'm not PS fanboy BTW, I think Sony made some (most, lol) dumb decisions with PS5 design and MS made the good ones but differences potentialy are overblown ATM.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Truth is XSX is 17% better in GPU department than PS5 in best case (for PS5 lol) scenario and ~31% better in worst case scenario (if that 9.2TF clock is the real lowest point in final unit, Cerny said about few % drops in clock, not ~10%) so in both cases difference is lower than what was between X1-PS4 and Pro-X1X.

Of course everything changes if VRS is only on Xbox and RT performance and usage in games is still in the air so we will see. And I'm not PS fanboy BTW, I think Sony made some (most, lol) dumb decisions with PS5 design and MS made the good ones but differences potentialy are overblown ATM.

I am on neither side but the amount of crying after all the trolling the Sony fanboys did is warranted. I just rather it stay in one thread.

Armorian

Banned
I am on neither side but the amount of crying after all the trolling the Sony fanboys did is warranted. I just rather it stay in one thread.

Yeah the amount of threads about this is ridiculous. Sony targeted something around 13GCN TF and will deliver on that. One year ago everyone would be super happy about that but MS spoiled us with 12TF RDNA flops so expectations were trough the roof for PS5 that was "supposed" to be better (maybe they were talkling about right number of flops but just didn't realize that they were comparing GCN and RDNA numbers :messenger_grinning_squinting: ).

Last edited:
I think Sony made some (most, lol) dumb decisions with PS5 design and MS made the good ones but differences potentialy are overblown ATM.
I think whether their conservative gpu was dumb or not depends on pricing. If ps5 and series x are the same price, I'd say that it could be considered as a potential blunder. If series x is 100 to 200 dollar more expensive, then it was a smart move.

Last edited:
And we’re not yet factoring how much of an anchor the lockheart will be on game design not only for Xbox consoles but for Xbox exclusives as well. 4 vs. 12 IS significant and despite what Microsoft devs tell you WILL be factor in game design.

Absolutely, if Lockhart comes in at 4TF it will be the base hardware of the generation

I'm not surprised by the choice: Spencer is treating the Xbox brand like custom PCs instead of consoles. He keeps flooding the market with hardware models.

When they launched "Scorpio" they said they wanted to kill console generations, using software as reference instead of hardware....

The result: Lockhart will kill Xbox One X after just 3 years as soon as it's announced. They will probably have to retire it from the market and that's why they are not announcing it yet

Last edited:
Link?

Here's one

Just check on the web. Bonus: the marketing guy for XBOX X really loved what he heard from Cerny.

SonGoku

12.1 > 10 -10.2 is way bigger than 1.3 vs 1.8 or 4.2 vs 6.
Actually its way smaller
Base PS4 & XBONE
  • PS4 is 38% faster
  • XBONE is 28% slower
Pro vs X
  • X is 42% faster
  • Pro is 30% slower
PS5 & SEX
  • SEX is 18%-21% faster
  • PS5 is 16%-18% slower
Wait so the difference between XSX and PS5 is smaller then PS4 Pro & Xbone X?
Wow DF is gonna be fun..
Way smaller

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
I'd rather have the higher memory bandwidth (560Gb/s vs. 448GB/s), followed by GPU (52 cores vs. 36 cores) then the I/O output.

I'm not sure the memory is faster. If you combine the access to the slow and fast pool, it's exactly the same on average.
So either XSeX RAM is "faster but smaller" or "almost the same".

Sorry CJY CJY . You spent all that time writing an actual good OP with relevant data and numbers and the usual fanboys run in and shit all over it. I can’t wait until we finally get to see games and real world examples because this whole “iTs BeTtEr On PaPeR!!?” nonsense is played out.

That doesn't happen in PC AMD cards, why should it happen in a Sony console?
That's exactly what AMD cards do, when you reach the thermal envelope the card scales back frequency and voltage which in turn lessens its performance capabilities to bring temperature under control.

SonGoku

Thermals aren't the limitation, power is. Depending of power allocation to GPU frequency varies.
Cerny specifically said the GPU would spend most of its time at 10.27TF or close to it. The worse case game would only require a minor downclock

psorcerer

Banned
That's exactly what AMD cards do, when you reach the thermal envelope the card scales back frequency and voltage which in turn lessens its performance capabilities to bring temperature under control.

But nobody sweats about it. It's how PC GPUs worked all the time.
What's the problem?
Somehow after MSFT said that they run "sustained" it became standard all of a sudden?

Top Bottom