• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX or PS5: The Decision I Need To Make

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karmic Raze

So, I might be caving in and paying scalper prices for either an Xbox Series X or a PlayStation 5. I just don’t know which one I should get. The PS5 looks to be about $200 more on average. I do have more of a library on PlayStation, but I like the rewards system and GamePass on Xbox.

Games that are on coming out on both that I am interested in or have already been released (my most prioritized) are: Knockout City, Resident Evil: Village, Judgment (beat it on PS4 already), Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Lost Judgment, Demon Slayer: Hinokami Kepputan, WWE 2K22, F1 2021, Back 4 Blood, Scarlet Nexus, and the AEW console game.

PS5 does have exclusives I want coming out like: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Guilty Gear: Strive, King of Fighters XV, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Final Fantasy VII: Remake Intergrade, Tales of Arise.

I’m just torn completely. I also prefer the XSX UI to the PS5 UI and I am not against trying to secure a console through regular means, but it’d be a bitch. So, flaming wars and fanboy crap aside, what do you think I should go with for my use case?

Last edited:

Grechy34

Holding Mel Gibson GIF

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Don't buy at scalper prices. When you manage to get one at a normal price, I'd go for the one with the exclusives you want and consider getting the other one a bit later. So first get a ps5, then X-box.

I've got both and whenever there's an exclusive out, I'm playing ps5. Series X is being used to kill time in between.

skit_data

Sounds like you should go for the PS5, at least for now.

You can always get a Series S/X down the line when more exclusives are released

Edit: Don’t buy from scalpers. The supply issues have been said to decrease during this summer by both Xbox and Playstation. Idk how much truth there is to this but I’d suggest you try holding out a little longer.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

So, I might be caving in and paying scalper prices for either an Xbox Series X or a PlayStation 5. I just don’t know which one I should get. The PS5 looks to be about $200 more on average. I do have more of a library on PlayStation, but I like the rewards system and GamePass on Xbox.

Games that are on coming out on both that I am interested in or have already been released (my most prioritized) are: Knockout City, Resident Evil: Village, Judgment (beat it on PS4 already), Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Lost Judgment, Demon Slayer: Hinokami Kepputan, WWE 2K22, F1 2021, Back 4 Blood, Scarlet Nexus, and the AEW console game.

PS5 does have exclusives I want coming out like: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Guilty Gear: Strive, King of Fighters XV, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Final Fantasy VII: Remake Intergrade, Tales of Arise.

I’m just torn completely. I also prefer the XSX UI to the PS5 UI and I am not against trying to secure a console through regular means, but it’d be a bitch. So, flaming wars and fanboy crap aside, what do you think I should go with for my use case?
PS5 isn't $200 better than XSX.
Get a XSX.

Iced Arcade

Not even voting here, just don't pay a scalper man.

Besides the desision is all you, asking here is only going to get you votes on what platform they own.

Gamepass imo is a no brainer and save ya tons of money with lots to play. But some prefer to buy 2 or 3 game a year and happy with that.

Last edited:

elliot5

Sounds like ps5 with a series s on the side. Or just buy a series s now at retail as you wait to get a ps5. Or even an X later if you want the bump in specs and sell the S after

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If you are buying at scalper price, get a PS5 because Series X is easier to find and it will be cheaper. New exclusives are already out for PS5.

Dat controller is awesome and the BC patches are great too.

Last edited:
I have both consoles and love them both for different reasons.

As far as pure value goes and amazing savings. Hands down the Xbox Series X is an absolute easy choice. Ton of great games on Gamepass, a lot of boosted games to 120fps as well if you want to play older titles and all the new 1st party titles such Halo Infinite, Fable, Stalker 2, State of Decay 3, Hellblade 2, Awoved, Perfect Dark and more are all on Gamepass day 1 at zero cost. There is no competition here.

Get the PS5 if you want a bit faster load times and of course Ratchet and Clank, FF16, Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok, but don't forget these are all at $70 games. Meanwhile, with Gamepass you'd be saving hundreds of dollars on the big titles, but of course you won't be getting the Sony exclusives. So at this point, its personal preference.

In the end, get both, but best choice for now imo is Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some of you guys are very trusting of scalpers. I'd never buy something like a console from a random guy. Might be a scam. Might break. You got no receipt unless the guy paid cash, sends you the receipt, and you can still use that for a local return if it breaks from a place that also is in your area.

I've only bought three things ever off three random people. An old table frame for I think $40, a glass table top (to go with it) for $20, and 5 hard to find DVDs that someone had on Craiglist for $30 total when third party sellers were trying to sell these on Amazon for like $40 each.

Thats as far as I go buying stuff from people online.

And each purchase was local and I picked it up myself to make sure it looked ok.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

^^I think it's going to be hard to get these consoles for a long time.
If you don't know someone it might be time to pay the premium to a scalper or go on FB marketplace and look for a deal. Either way you will have to pay more in 2021 sorry.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Wait, dont buy from scalpers.

According to your gaming list you want the PS5 more, wait for a PS5.
For Xbox: Does it have to be the XSX?
What exclusives do you want to play on it?
You could buy the XSS if you dont care about 4k etc.
Could ease the wait time until you can buy a PS5 + XSS is easier to find and cheaper.

Ryugarr

Neo Member
PS5 would probably be the better choice for you imo. You seem to like a lot of Japanese games which usually end up having a bigger library on Sony consoles. I have both consoles and enjoy them both.

The Dualsense has been the best thing for me hands down next gen wise. It is easily the best controller I've ever used. Also if I was in your boat and if you could only buy one console I would definitely get the PS5. If the quality is the same as PS4 exclusives and the sheer amount of exclusives that were announced in the works are insane.

Now if you don't want to pay $70 for each big Sony exclusive and want an overall better value Series X or S might be best for you. Gamepass really is an amazing value.

Blond

Banned
I tend to come across these pretty easy and have only sold one for profit because someone said he’d pay me 800 for one. If you give me a couple weeks I’m sure I can get you one, I’d sell it to you cost plus shipping. I have a couple good feedback on marketplace if you’re willing to wait.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Unless you are obsessive about Sony exclusives, the XSX is the better system than the PS5. That should be your deciding factor: is there first party Sony stuff that I absolutely must play right this second? If the answer is 'no', the XSX does basically everything better. Gamepass, rewards system, backwards compatibility, boost mode, VRR, Dolby Vision, the UI is better, the system is overwhelmingly more stable, expandable internal storage, all first party software under Gamepass, no ridiculous price hike for games.

But, none of that will matter if you think 'But I really must play Ratchet And Clank, Returnal, and the Demon's Souls remake right now', because the PS5 is where they are.

If it was me, I'd go with the XSX, but I just like Microsoft's product more than Sony's right now.

No mention of where your friends or family play OP? Do you have kids or just play on your own? Generally I prefer the Xbox ecosystem and support across the board for the life of a generation or two. Xbox really update and support their systems often. If you want the PS exclusives then that should be your home. How about what your friends play/share on? For me I have hundreds of peeps I can play/share on Xbox with and I love the family account/parental controls of Xbox. There is about 2 exclusive Sony games I want so I'm really just not into buying a whole system and accessories when I can happily play Xbox and Gamepass while sharing it all across 3 xboxes in the house with my kids too. Saves a fortune and we get to game together as well.

Each to their own and it's a personal choice which you should buy. I'd ask this, do you feel like must have games are the Sony exclusives or would you enjoy the value from Xbox and gamepass for say the next 3 years instead? It's a pretty basic question in terms of how you feel what to miss out on and what to gain value from.

sainraja

I think you should decide based on the games you want to play soon and the level of investment you want to make into gaming (and if subscriptions don't scare you but as gamers we are already use to that from last generation.)

Blond

Banned
Not for $200 more.
Neither one is worth the asking price right now honestly. But regardless what’s 200 dollars more if it has nothing of interest that you wanna play? Right now I’m playing Void Bastards on gamepass but when June comes around Guilty Gear Strive is going to get ALL my attention.

HAL-01

Don’t buy from scalpers. Set up tweet notifications for Best Buy gaming, GameStop, etc. Set up your accounts in their sites. I got a notification for new PS5s in stock and within a minute I was already checking out, no problems

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Don't cave dude, be strong. There's not much out just yet. You're not missing much. Everything on Xbox Series X you can play on X1X with gamepass. I mean if you don't have an X1X then maybe consider an XSS.

On the PS5 you got Returnal and Ratchet soon, but the games you mentioned aren't out yet. You're gonna hate yourself if you buy a scalped system and the inventory clears up in 6 months or so. I know it doesn't sound good, but in general, I'd wait til there are more games to play.

Dr Bass

Not for $200 more.
I’d pay 1000 more for something I actually wanted vs something that seemed like it could theoretically take its place but can’t.

Not that I’d pay that for a console, but there is a reason the PS5 scalper prices are higher. It has the content more people want.

No need to dissuade someone from what they really want.

That said, I’d probably wait to get it from a store. It’s definitely doable.

Kangx

I am shaking my head when he listed the games he want to play and people still recommend the opposite. It seems your taste is the ps5 and it has games. I repeated games that coming out. It seem like you can't wait any longer. In that case, if you have the financial mean, go for it. Buy the ps5.

Looks like you enjoy japanese games and Sony exclusives with no mention of Microsoft games so the choice seems clear to me. Yea, there’s Game Pass but PS Plus and PS Now aren’t bad either for the price.

go with what u already play the most of. I luv xbox. I think its been the better console since 2017, But i dont like their exclusives. As annoying as playstation console is, and how much i loathe the controller.....i would probably be a playstation only gamer, if it wasn't for the enormous library of Xbox games i already have. So im pretty much locked in to that ecosystem for good.

supernova8

Banned

Might be a crazy idea but why not get yourself a Series S (not X) and sign up to Game Pass?

The way I see it, you mentioned a few Playstation exclusives but it doesn't sound like you're wedded to either side. There's not much new out (if anything) exclusive to Xbox, but there are loads of games (including newer multiplats) on Game Pass. Last time I checked (at least where I am), the scalper prices for Series S are almost back down to retail prices anyway (maybe nobody likes them after all).

Have your fun with Series S and Game Pass (and maybe one or two games you buy outright that aren't on Game Pass) and then see where things stand sometime next year. If more PS5 exclusives end up getting released than expected (and conversely, if loads of Xbox exclusives get pushed back), then you can sell your Series S (sure you won't get all your money back but who cares) and put the money towards a PS5 (which should be available at retail prices by then).

Alternatively, if a load of Xbox exclusives come out then you have the choice of just sticking with your Series S or doing the same as above but swapping it for a Series X. Benefit there is that all your progress/saves/account stuff you've built up on the Series S carry over (obviously) and you just keep paying your monthly sub.

I used to be firmly on the blue side but looking at how many exclusive (really next gen) games there are (or aren't) even on PS5, I really don't think it's a good idea to firmly plant your flag just yet (of course R&C looks gorgeous, as does DS and Spiderman, just not enough of a pull for me to spend scalper money on a PS5 right now). I personally am still leaning towards PS5 in the longer term but Series S with Game Pass is definitely a great option until there is a stronger case for either of the more premium options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom