• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX is 'under-powered'.

FireFly

The 12TF of power you speak of is a theoretical peak of the hardware, it doesn’t mean it will run at 12TFs for every game, this is MS’s marketing as you can see, they screamed “powerrrr” for ages and people believed it, stuff like “XGonGivItToYa” nonsense like this. finally when the time came to deliver, it was a disaster.

not looking to troll but Nothing I saw screamed next-gen, FPS looked solid on some games but even the some current gen games looked much better.
Right, but RDNA is more, not less efficient than the GCN architecture in the Xbox One. So for a given a teraflop rating, the XSX will be faster than the old architecture by perhaps 30% - 50%. The problem is that when you double the framerate, you halve the amount of graphics processing power at your disposal. So 12 TF at 4K60 is like 6 TF at 4K30. And at that point you are only relying on architectural improvements to get better graphics.

The solution is to drop down to 1440p 60 and then use A.I/temporal upscaling to get back up to 4K. That's what the UE5 demo did, and part of why it looks so good. Sony's first party PS5 games can look better at 4K because they (depending on the game) are targeting 30 FPS, not 60, and the XSX is not double as fast as the PS5.

Last edited:

ManaByte

If TC thinks XSX is underpowered nobody tell him about ps5.
he's gonna have a really bad day

giphy.gif

Saaleh

Banned
Ok, i feel bad for the honest xbox fans. [10 years later] They are still waiting for their moment to shine. But lets be real, as long that xbox is stuck with last gen, average studios and game pass i doubt that they will get X360 level of hype and wow factor. Phil is still feeding of your nostalgia.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
When we start seeing third party game comparisons, it won’t be. Unless something is direly wrong, these games should look and perform better.

But in everything else? Microsoft seems to have completely ceded the advantage to Sony’s also technically superb teams, and with the nature of third party games often being cross-gen at first, PS5 is likely to have the best looking games... for years.

Rather than focus on pulling everything they can out of Series X with their first party games, they’re dancing between five different delivery methods (Xbox One, Xbox One X, X-Cloud, Series S, Series X), the majority of them underpowered. If Microsoft can hit it big with the lowered cost to entry, great, but this really looks like an anchor on them, just when the One X was starting to repair things.

They had a simple message. Your games all look best here. People loved that message, and felt it got back to the heart of what Xbox was. This feels like abandoning that to chase casual gamers all over again, just like Xbox One, but in a different way.

Last edited:
When we start seeing third party game comparisons, it won’t be. Unless something is direly wrong, these games should look and perform better.

But in everything else? Microsoft seems to have completely ceded the advantage to Sony’s also technically superb teams, and with the nature of third party games often being cross-gen at first, PS5 is likely to have the best looking games... for years.

Rather than focus on pulling everything they can out of Series X with their first party games, they’re dancing between five different delivery methods (Xbox One, Xbox One X, X-Cloud, Series S, Series X), the majority of them underpowered. If Microsoft can hit it big with the lowered cost to entry, great, but this really looks like an anchor on them, just when the One X was starting to repair things.

They had a simple message. Your games all look best here. People loved that message, and felt it got back to the heart of what Xbox was. This feels like abandoning that to chase casual gamers all over again, just like Xbox One, but in a different way.
Thank you Arcadia,

You can always sum up how i feel, but in a nicer, more intelligent way.

Their message of 'most powerful' has been a waste of time and it feels like they've done a 180 since the X.

Even if things are evened out in years to come, it will be too late. They have learned nothing from the launch of Xbox One.

God help Microsoft if their console is more expensive again

Dontero

Banned
I think Lockhart which is the worst kept secret is holding them back. They can't make good graphics because it won't run at Lockhart so they make games to match lockhart and give SEX just 120fps or 4k resolution instead of new effects and greater geometry detail etc.

But here is worse part. That same lockhart will keep holding back PS5 too. PS5 exclusives will look great but multiplatform titles will not.

Reactions: GHG
I think Lockhart which is the worst kept secret is holding them back. They can't make good graphics because it won't run at Lockhart so they make games to match lockhart and give SEX just 120fps or 4k resolution instead of new effects and greater geometry detail etc.

But here is worse part. That same lockhart will keep holding back PS5 too. PS5 exclusives will look great but multiplatform titles will not.
Lmao 😂 what’s going on today this can’t be a real post. Let’s wait for exclusives from
Both consoles built from the ground up for both before making this assumption. Also what would be the excuse to that when multiplats are running better on series x? Also the Lockhart things been explained to death it’s a next gen machine that plays games at 1080p. So how’s it holding back anything except for resolution which is fair since everyone won’t have a 4K tv.

DavidGzz

Yeah, it's Lockhart which will run the same games with the same graphics only at a lower resolution is holding XSX back. It surely isn't the 1.3 Tf Xbox One S. Nope.

Dontero

Banned
Yeah, it's Lockhart which will run the same games with the same graphics only at a lower resolution is holding XSX back. It surely isn't the 1.3 Tf Xbox One S. Nope.

lol. I love how people assume you can just run 12TF games with demanding effects on 4TF hardware "with just lower resolution"

If that is the case then why no Xbox One X or PS4 Pro game ever looked better than their slower brothers and why only resolution/framerate or marginal effects was only difference ?

Xbox One set default baseline power of current generation and this is how all games looked like aside from PS4 exclusives.

Lmao 😂 what’s going on today this can’t be a real post. Let’s wait for exclusives from
Both consoles built from the ground up for both before making this assumption. Also what would be the excuse to that when multiplats are running better on series x?

But they showed exclusives and none look better than PS5 exclusives. Which only confirms what i said. They used mostly CGI for most of their games instead of showing actual graphics which speaks volumes about "next gen"

Multiplats WILL run better at SEX that is for sure. But we are talking here about technology like raytracing. geometry detail, extra npcs, etc. SEX will just run Lockhart games in higher resolution or higher framerate with small extra effects. PS5 will do the same, it will run lockhart games with extra small effect, higher res and framerate.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Both consoles built from the ground up for both before making this assumption. Also what would be the excuse to that when multiplats are running better on series x? Also the Lockhart things been explained to death it’s a next gen machine that plays games at 1080p. So how’s it holding back anything except for resolution which is fair since everyone won’t have a 4K tv.

Back to having to "wait" again are we?

"wait for E3"

"wait for the Xbox show"

"wait till you see Halo Infinite"

"wait to make comparisons"

No thank you.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
This is likely to be a common factor this gen particularly if the game is hitting native 4k 60fps and if they are going for open world. The machine is powerful but it can't work miracles.

You'd think if halo is cross gen then there must be plenty headroom to add in more details and ray tracing etc but 4k in itself is very demanding.

FireFly

A 2080 Super averages 63.1 FPS at 4K in TechPowerup's test suite. So as you can see, Lockhart or not, there is very little headroom left at 4K60.

lol. I love how people assume you can just run 12TF games with demanding effects on 4TF hardware "with just lower resolution"

If that is the case then why no Xbox One X or PS4 Pro game ever looked better than their slower brothers and why only resolution/framerate or marginal effects was only difference ?
Well, ignoring the better looking 1080p modes, the answer is precisely that the extra performance was used up to scale the resolution to 4K! (or 1440P). That's why performance with the refreshed consoles was so often similar to the base models.

I’m old enough to remember launch games like Gun, and need for speed most wanted lmao then I finanlly getting gears of war which was also on the same system. Lol this has to be a joke 😂.
I remember launch games like crash bandicoot and tomb raider on psx, Halo on xbox and condemned on 360 all amazing games that set the stall of what was yet to come 🤷‍♂️

DavidGzz

Xbox One set default baseline power of current generation and this is how all games looked like aside from PS4 exclusives.

You just answered your own question lol. The reason X and Pro didn't have any special advantages other than resolution was because it had the same CPU and HDD. Lockhart will have the same CPU and SSD as XSX, hence....

I remember launch games like crash bandicoot and tomb raider on psx, Halo on xbox and condemned on 360 all amazing games that set the stall of what was yet to come 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, those were not cross gen games. Sony is supposed to have that advantage with their first party titles, but not for long. Sony 1st party will win the initial graphics "war" with XGS and Game Pass will be what helps MS. They both have different initial strategies. I don't know why it will matter in the long run. 3rd party games that are next gen only like RE Village will be other examples of next gen only graphics and also the test to see which console has more ooomph.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I really wanted the new xbox to show its muscles. I'm first and foremost a playstation gamer, but if microsoft would have shown that they are simply better, then I'd abandoned sony in an instant. But this conference did the opposite. The PS5 showed what next gen can look like and the xbox simply did not manage to show something that can compete on a visual level. That is surprising, in paper the xbox has the advantage. Is it really all just because microsoft has the policy to bring all these games to last gen consoles too? I start to doubt that, the difference was just too big. Compare horizon with halo, night and day.

You just answered your own question lol. The reason X and Pro didn't have any special advantages other than resolution was because it had the same CPU and HDD. Lockhart will have the same CPU and SSD as XSX, hence....

Yeah, those were not cross gen games. Sony is supposed to have that advantage with their first party titles, but not for long. Sony 1st party will win the initial graphics "war" with XGS and Game Pass will be what helps MS. They both have different initial strategies. I don't know why it will matter in the long run. 3rd party games that are next gen only like RE Village will be other examples of next gen only graphics and also the test to see which console has more ooomph.

It's not just the poor showing, or the mixed message, or shouting about the power with nothing to back it up. It's everything combined that makes me think Microsoft have ballsed up again.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that 3rd party games will look better on Xbox, they usually do (xbox, 360). That just makes it less of a console and more of a 'Steambox'

DavidGzz

It's not just the poor showing, or the mixed message, or shouting about the power with nothing to back it up. It's everything combined that makes me think Microsoft have ballsed up again.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that 3rd party games will look better on Xbox, they usually do (xbox, 360). That just makes it less of a console and more of a 'Steambox'

Mmmm, Steambox. Speaking of that, I am still on the fence on if I want to get a PC instead, even if it costs me 3 times as much, just to have access to Steam, Xbox games, AND select Sony games. Of course, a PS5 is also a no-brainer cause I want that sweet Demons Soul's.

Jtibh

Banned
The xbox is a beast.
First they give you a weak show like this.
Then sony says aha ok jim based on what we saw lets raise the price to 500.

Xbox expecting this to happen comes back with 400 bucks and 10 new first party titles.

You see it all about fooling sony and then destroy them with price and content.

Sony folds.

The giant dies.

sendit

We have a thread on that. And it has aged like fine wine:

Mmmm, Steambox. Speaking of that, I am still on the fence on if I want to get a PC instead, even if it costs me 3 times as much, just to have access to Steam, Xbox games, AND select Sony games. Of course, a PS5 is also a no-brainer cause I want that sweet Demons Soul's.
PC gaming takes too much time. There's always something to fiddle with or change etc. I'm a low hassle gamer and I just generally prefer console gaming.

I'll keep with my X until the XsXx is launched and go ps5 next gen as my main console.

dalekjay

Gaf is disappointing sometimes

Time for a third forum where snowflakes don’t cry because there’s a girl on a game but also the other type of snowflake that every game should have every color and gender .
No teenage level of reasoning
No “game is too hard make us easy for me “

Era still worse but Gaf is losing quality

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Gaf is disappointing sometimes

Time for a third forum where snowflakes don’t cry because there’s a girl on a game but also the other type of snowflake that every game should have every color and gender .
No teenage level of reasoning
No “game is too hard make us easy for me “

Era still worse but Gaf is losing quality

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Dontero

Banned
We have a thread on that. And it has aged like fine wine:

It was obvious to anyone with little knowledge of tech that SEX will be held back by lockhart.

There is literally no difference in principle between Xbox One S/X and Lockhart/SEX. They both have same CPU and different GPU and only thing that was improved was just resolution, framerate or some small graphic details.

DavidGzz

PC gaming takes too much time. There's always something to fiddle with or change etc. I'm a low hassle gamer and I just generally prefer console gaming.

I'll keep with my X until the XsXx is launched and go ps5 next gen as my main console.

Yeah, I'll probably just go with XSX for most of my gaming for the next year. That power, 100+ launch games, Game Pass, Halo, and optimized games I didn't play much of like Horizon 4 at 4k 60 fps. This will be the best launch of any system ever. On top of that I should have some games to play on PS5 as well. I want to know Sony's plans with TLOU2 and Ghost on PS5. Free upgrades would be awesome. I want to do NG+ with enhancements.

Yeah, I'll probably just go with XSX for most of my gaming for the next year. That power, 100+ launch games, Game Pass, Halo, and optimized games I didn't play much of like Horizon 4 at 4k 60 fps. This will be the best launch of any system ever. On top of that I should have some games to play on PS5 as well. I want to know Sony's plans with TLOU2 and Ghost on PS5. Free upgrades would be awesome. I want to do NG+ with enhancements.
I'll only get an xsx at launch so I can give my old man my X. Otherwise I'll do what I did this gen; PlayStation to get me through the first half, then catch up on what I missed on xbox.

Don't get me wrong, gamepass is awesome and has made me a really cheap arse gamer, I do like the single player cinematic game to mix it up though

DavidGzz

I'll only get an xsx at launch so I can give my old man my X. Otherwise I'll do what I did this gen; PlayStation to get me through the first half, then catch up on what I missed on xbox.

Don't get me wrong, gamepass is awesome and has made me a really cheap arse gamer, I do like the single player cinematic game to mix it up though

Me too but they take forever. TLOU2 and Ghost were worth the wait and God Of War 2 will as well, but I feel like the really big games won't be here until the end of 2022 at the earliest. I can see PS5 being my main if the controller innovation makes games better and if the SSD makes a positive difference in 3rd party games, otherwise, I like the Xbox controller more currently and I prefer playing multiplayer with my Xbox friends.

Last edited:
How old are you?

Nothing cringier than coming in to post cringe with 0 opinion or response.

Stop being dumb as fuck and use your head, how can i be 12 if the OG xbox released 19 years ago and the PSX is over 25 years old?
Lovely choice of words to show your age :) people only need to see your recent activity to see you are a ps fanboy or a xb hater so stop treating us like we are dumb.

Lovely choice of words to show your age :) people only need to see your recent activity to see you are a ps fanboy or a xb hater so stop treating us like we are dumb.
I can't tell you to fuck off for being a cunt, as that would get me in trouble after I was reported. I will say though, I am definitely not a fan boy of any flavour and prefer the Xbox and always have.

But nahh, tell me how kinect, shit games, an overpriced, underpowered TV tv TV box is all really good. Let's forget all those games that gave the 360 an attach rate of 11 and tell me more about kinect milo, star wars, ruse, 3 OSs and "wait some more" from lord Phil.

I know math is racist these days so I can't ask you to use your brain to work out my rough age. I can ask you to politely leave this thread if you've got nothing more to contribute other than pathetic nothingness. See you next tuesday

Edit I don't need to treat you like you're dumb, as dumb is your default setting. I've seen dribbling vegetables with a higher IQ

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I can't tell you to fuck off for being a cunt, as that would get me in trouble after I was reported. I will say though, I am definitely not a fan boy of any flavour and prefer the Xbox and always have.

But nahh, tell me how kinect, shit games, an overpriced, underpowered TV tv TV box is all really good. Let's forget all those games that gave the 360 an attach rate of 11 and tell me more about kinect milo, star wars, ruse, 3 OSs and "wait some more" from lord Phil.

I know math is racist these days so I can't ask you to use your brain to work out my rough age. I can ask you to politely leave this thread if you've got nothing more to contribute other than pathetic nothingness. See you next tuesday

Edit I don't need to treat you like you're dumb, as dumb is your default setting. I've seen dribbling vegetables with a higher IQ
You do seem to have an agenda after reading through the thread , it has to be said.

If it makes you happy though, fire away. It makes shit reading, mind you.

Zoro7

Banned
It isn’t under powered. But I think this just shows no matter how good Microsoft’s hardware is, incompetence will always prevail.

sonyfifa

First off, I'm a long time Xbox fan. So much so that I used to literally count down the weeks, days, minutes and seconds until the OG Xbox launched and I could buy one. Greatest console ever.

Microsoft have done a lot right this gen. The Elite controller is the greatest controller ever made, Game pass is one of the greatest ideas that gamers have ever had the pleasure to use and the X is a fantastic little box of magic. Forza looks life-like and i mean that without exaggeration. It is one of, if not the greatest looking game i have ever had the pleasure to see.

With that being said, I think the XSX is under-powered - as in, it doesn't or can't do what Microsoft are touting that it can do. Yes, I understand we haven't seen live gameplay yet, but from what we have seen, I am worried - in a gamer sense of the word. I want all companies to be at the top of their game, because we all win. I won't comment on the games, as it is entirely subjective as to what one prefers over another. One mans' COD is another mans' Sea of Thieves.

What i will say is from what we've seen, i don't see the 12 tflops being put to use. From what we've heard, which is statements counter-acting Sony's claims 'it eats monsters for breakfast' and 'consistently fastest console ever' I just don't get the vibe that Microsoft are confident with their console or messaging. All of their talking seems to be counter-acting what Sony have said and/or banging on about 4k/60fps, like that's important outside of console wars.

I find it hard to believe that a console with 10x~ the power of a PS4 and 3x power of the X, can produce such shoddy results so far. Never in my life of watching console launches (First one was the PSX) have I seen the lead platform in terms of power, deliver underwhelming trailers, gameplay and teasers.

If the XSX is genuinely powerful, then that's even worse, as it suggests that Microsoft has a complete lack of talent across the vast majority of their studios (Turn 10 are still one of the best devs in the industry). And no, I'm not 'waiting' any more. I've been told since fucking Kinect to 'wait for the games'.

I hope to God, for Microsofts' sake, that this console is considerably cheaper than the PS5

I wanted you to be great Microsoft. Why have you failed me again. #bringbackallard.

TL;DR: Old Microsoft fan cries in to his Duke because Microsoft are a shadow of their former selves.
the lead architect of xbox. i dont remember his name(full bearded guy) said recently in a podcast that the next gen xbox is mutch like the human brain. the hardware currently only uses about 10 % of its capacity.

imagine the trouble sony is going to be in when microsoft uses more than 10 % capacity in the future.

i will post the podcast soon/when i am home.

Last edited:

geordiemp

1. Those LOD pop in on Halo demo is just bad IO - what happend to velocity, instant and SFS ?

2. 1.825 GHz, clocked low as an RDNA1 part , did MS go with DUV and RDNA1 node with RDNA2 logic, wide and slow

3. Ray tracing free download after launch ...REally ?

Then you have Sony new Geometry engine 2 patents, a new VRS patent by Cerny, rumours of RDNA3 and some Cerny specials on RT..

Something is up, I new it the moment MS showed quick loading in 12 seconds for state decay 2, and swicthing games like CAVE took 5 seconds for 1 GB game, and now Halo pop in.

I think MS is playing catch up and really only considered TF and not much else, but thats my opinion. Everything we have seen matches this.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm pretty sure we haven't even seen anything running on the XSX. The console is fine, there are simply no games ready for it.

psorcerer

Banned
More current:

Same hardware. Same developer. 6 years difference.
inFAMOUS-Second-Son-2.jpg

GOT_Screen_PS4_E32018_00003_1528773454.jpg

Technically there's almost no difference.
You need to include screens with cityscape and particles in I:SS.
99% of GoT beauty is in art direction. And some small but difficult stuff, like almost instant loads/fast travel.

Top Bottom