• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX controller vs PS5 controller - opinions welcome!

Reizo Ryuu

I have both and to me they are almost identical in feel, but some people say it is other league.
I use XBONE controller on PC, feels the same, maybe less sturdy. And yeah it lacks "screenshot" button :)
bJW4K15.jpg
I want to throw my xb1 controller in the trash, it's so bad, but I need it while I send my series controller in for warranty...

The Dualsense is great and a big improvement on DS4 which itself was miles ahead of the DS3. That said when I pick my Xbox one X controller up after hours of playing ps5 my hands relax into comfort.

Editaur

DualSense all the way.

For the amount of controllers Microsoft likes to shit out I wish they would rerelease a modern 360 controller with the series X/S dpad.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I like the Dualsense because it has heft. It feels idk premium? and in the few games that utilize the rumble features well it has a kind of jolting feel that I haven't had with any other controller.

Series X controller feels intuitive and since using this and the Switch Pro controller, I've found I prefer the asymmetric nubs. I like the grip on the back of the controller and that the triggers vibrate (does the dualsense have this?). The d-pad being so tactile and clicky is a big letdown for me.

Overall I prefer dualsense but Series controller is also very good. If they do somehow improve them to match the haptic feedback and triggers of the DS, I'd probably like those more.

Buyukbaba

Neo Member
I generally play fps games and use shoulder buttons on both consoles. I could have preferred dualsense until I found great comfort playing with LT/RB on series X controller. Nothing beats this zoom/shoot combination on xbox controller for me. I don't think this combination is as comfortable on dualsense.

TheGrat1

All of these people who go on and on about asymmetric stick placement to avoid cramping and yet I am sure they can play shooters on Xbox for hours without complaint.
It is all in your mind. 🧠

All of these people who go on and on about asymmetric stick placement to avoid cramping and yet I am sure they can play shooters on Xbox for hours without complaint.
It is all in your mind. 🧠
Yeah, because even in shooters you often switch to the 4 buttons for crouching, jumping, using something and so on while your left thumb is almost glued to the left stick in 95% of the games.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I'm trying to decide between the two for PC. I think the DS would be more comfortable for me but I was seriously burned by Sony's quality control last gen.

I have a feeling the XB pad would be better, even though I had many issues with that too (namely the cheap ass shoulder buttons).

TheGrat1

Yeah, because even in shooters you often switch to the 4 buttons for crouching, jumping, using something and so on while your left thumb is almost glued to the left stick in 95% of the games.
And in most left stick dominated games you switch to the D-pad often for inventory/weapon/magic management. So what is the issue?

And in most left stick dominated games you switch to the D-pad often for inventory/weapon/magic management. So what is the issue?
Often? Can't remember many games where the d-pad is used often except some fighting games like Street Fighter. If i had to call some numbers i would say in all existing console games combined left stick ist used 80% of the time while right stick is used about 30%.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
like them both, both have pro's and cons. THe new Series controller is like the perfect multi platform pad for console and PC IMO. Even with the clicky d pad, i love it.

Duelsense is just dope!

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think the Xbox controller is a good controller, great even. One of its advantages to me is how seamlessly it crosses over into PC, and if there’s anything Sony should take away from it is that.

The Dual Sense though is the gift that keeps on giving. Playing PS5 games and feel the rumble shift around the controller, feeling the different surfaces, and then the triggers response to when you are shooting an AK or even sprinting. It creates moments that put a smile on me, and I can only imagine how cool it is for a kid.

Ergonomics and what not, it’s a wash. They are both great, but the DS deserves the praise it’s getting, and it’s not hard to understand why it’s the best selling controller in the market.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For me

1. DualSense
  2. Xbox One/Xbox Series Controller
  3. Dualshock 4
  4. Xbox 360 Controller
  5. Dualshock 2
I would put XSX Controller above the Xbox One controller… much much improved DPad.

One thing I cannot understand is how people cried about the DS4 light and say nothing on the bright Xbox logo on the Xbox Series controller shining at you… 🤷‍♂️.

Pachi72

My thumbs feel more comfortable where the left stick is on the Xbox controller, especially how your hands form around a controller.

Still think the 360 controller is king though.
D-Pad on those things where the worst. PS4 and PS5 D-Pad blows it away.

I wasn't a huge fan of the dual shock, and always preferred the feel of a hefty Xbox controller in my hands, but for me, the Dual Sense is my preferred controller, super comfy. Not to say that MS couldn't snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Little Mac

Personally its the xbox series controller. It's not the generational step forward when compared to the dual sens, but nothing beats the layout, grip, size, and shape of the xbox controller imo. I've been a fan of it for quite some time for both console and pc gaming and its hard to use anything else at this point.

Zathalus

Personally, both have ups and downs for me.

XSX has the better stick layout, better battery life, user replaceable batteries, far better d-pad, and better button/trigger feel.

Dualsense is a bit more comfortable, has gyro, has a microphone, has speakers, better haptics, adaptive triggers, and more input options.

I wish I could fuse them if I was being honest.

Zimmy68

The Dualsense is a technical marvel and I love it but too big and unruly for me.
Whenever I play PS4 games on my PS5, I always reach for my Dual Shock with paddle attachments.
I would have liked MS to have updated the Xbox controller a little more (especially the horrible thumbstick modules) but it is still the king for me. I use it just as much on my PC as my XSX.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not used the PS5 controller as of yet, with some of the features it seems way headed because of haptics but the series controller is still a Damon fine controller

Genx3

I always like these threads because you just know there are construction dudes who talk about which cordless drill they prefer, the Milwaukee brushless 18v or the DeWalt 20v max.

"Oh my Gosh my hands hurt after using the DeWalt for more than 30 minutes." - Men, probably
Actually the Dewalt brushless is lighter, batteries last longer and easier to use for long periods but the Milwaukee drills have a superior chuck for sure.

Still preference is preference. Both are Great drills just like both the XSX and PS5 controllers are great.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Dualsense is by far the objective winner on features alone. Comfort and stick position is of course purely subjective. I vastly prefer symmetrical sticks so PlayStation controllers are always the best for me. Even my switch pro controller is awkward to use because of the stick position.
It's easier/ more natural to use the D-Pad with symmetrical sticks. This is why also prefer symmetrical.

HTK

Banned
Unfortunately when I play Warzone I play with the DS4 because of the Back Button Attachment, so I haven't used much of my Dualsense controller... for the time I do use it in (single player games) I like the overall ergonomics and weight, however the end tips really bother my pinky, it lays on it weird and there is a sharp design that's not so comfortable.

Getting my Series X bundle today so I'll see what that controller is like.

Top Bottom