• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX controller vs PS5 controller - opinions welcome!

keraj37

J8wOM5g.jpg

My quick comparison, very amateurish :D

XSX controller
If I would compare it to car, I would say it is Ford F150.
It is sturdy.
Solid.
Simple.
Comfortable.
Efficient since it has removable batteries/accumulators.
It just does it job, and it does it well.
It doesn't break my heart when I need to throw it into the wall.

PS5 controller
If I would compare it to car, I would say it is Bugatti Veyron.
It is full of features.
Looks great.
Luxury look.
Overpowered.
No one uses its power fully, yet.
It does it job, yes but it can also fly.
It breaks my heart when I need to throw it into the wall.

My daily choice is XSX controller (only if I don't play on PS5 that is), like it would be F150 due to its simplicity, comfort and sturdiness.

What is yours from these two?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The only thing better about xbox controller is the battery door and battery life.
Internal is a nightmare. I never want to connect the controller and it is destined to die. With AA batteries, I have a choice if I want to use rechargables or ikea 10 pack for 2$...
So xbox controller lasts me at least 40 hours and dualsense 6-8 and I have to connect to play.
I also like the left analog position on xbox but it' not a big deal.
Everything else? Dualsense is amazing and clear winner

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Daily driver for me is by far the Xbox controller its way more comfy in my hands.

The Dual Sense is great dont get me wrong but in most games I dont care for the extra rumbles and for sure shut off the triggers.

Another notch above is the Elite 2 controller by far the best first party controller on the market.

Sure wish Sony gave me the options of a controller with back paddles and trigger stops.

Cornbread78

Apt comparison OP. I like my PS5 controllers weight better. Thicc boi 4 the win.

Both are nice, but the PS5 just feels better in control, weight and feel

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox controller is better suited for modern games since all games use analog sticks.

The PS controller with natural hand layout having the dpad and face buttons, while crimping your wrists for analog sticks would be more suitable for the PS1 days when most games didnt even use analogs.

But as time goes, the LS analog is now standard for moving a character. So the Xbox controller makes sense where LS is placed.

As for the right side being buttons in natural right hand layout it makes sense as most games focus on buttons. Although it can be argued for shooters which require LS movement and RS for camera panning, RS would be better where the face buttons are because the main function buttons are triggers.

I like them both. I wish Microsoft kept the bigger size of the Xbox One controllers though. The PS5 controller also just feels like a higher quality product in my hands tbh.

Daily driver for me is by far the Xbox controller its way more comfy in my hands.

The Dual Sense is great dont get me wrong but in most games I dont care for the extra rumbles and for sure shut off the triggers.

Another notch above is the Elite 2 controller by far the best first party controller on the market.

Sure wish Sony gave me the options of a controller with back paddles and trigger stops.
This basically echoes my thoughts.

Prefer Xbox stick placement for comfort as I have decently large hands and most of th DualSense features I shut off if I'm able. I see them as more as annoying than a positive personally.

Elite controller quality has had me slow to get one, especially since last gen I didn't play a ton of Xbox.

ClosBSAS

i love them both...but for comfort easily the xbox series x one...i fucking hate the pad to be on top of the thumbstucks...such a stupid design...cant believe the countless times ive died on demons souls cause that dpad location sucks ass. its so much easier to move the fingers down than up to the side....ps5 controller though, that built in mic and adaptive triggers are great but its also a little too big.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Comfort is the most important part of any input device especially one you’re holding for hours on end. The Xbox controller seemed like it was built with comfort first then features 2nd while the dualsense I feel like they worried about features 1st then comfort 2nd. I would definitely pick Xbox for longer gaming sessions any day, but I enjoy my short stints with the Dualsense very much.

1. Xbox
2. Switch Pro
3. DS

by the way the Switch Pro controller is better than the DS but Neogaff might ban me for saying this.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

Dualsense is by far the objective winner on features alone. Comfort and stick position is of course purely subjective. I vastly prefer symmetrical sticks so PlayStation controllers are always the best for me. Even my switch pro controller is awkward to use because of the stick position.

Orion2

Banned
there are many things that make the PlayStation controller the superior one over the xbox one for me, but first and foremost, I will never give up symmetrical sticks placement so that alone is a deal breaker for me with the xbox controller that will always automatically make it inferior to me

DualSense is the best controller ever made and it's not close.

The Series X controller is basically the Xbox One controller with no new features and extremely annoyingly loud clicking buttons that make it feel like you're using some cheap third-party knock-off controller.

The Switch Pro controller is second place to the DualSense.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This basically echoes my thoughts.

Prefer Xbox stick placement for comfort as I have decently large hands and most of th DualSense features I shut off if I'm able. I see them as more as annoying than a positive personally.

Elite controller quality has had me slow to get one, especially since last gen I didn't play a ton of Xbox.
Thats my issue as well being 6'8" I have fairly large hands as well almost 11" span from tip of little finger to tip of thumb and the stick placement of the Xbox controller has always been more comfy for me.

Anytime I use a DS controller my thumbs are constantly getting in the way of one another :)

Jaysen

Banned
XSX - better ergonomics by a longshot, better triggers, insane battery life when coupled with eneloops, and it outputs better audio, and louder audio, than the Dualsense. Horrible build quality, and I’ve yet to have use a Series X controller that doesn’t have issues with the A button. It either misses presses or registers two. The controller is also stupidly loud.

Dualsense - infinitely better rumble, buttons are better, i like the touchpad but only when devs use it as a button, build quality much better than Series X. Battery life is complete shit, price is stupid, dpad is mushy junk, prone to stick drift already, and the ergonomics are just dreadful.

Between the two, I’d go with Dualsense since I can’t rely on the Series X controller to register presses of A reliably.

elliot5

It took me some time to adjust to the XSX controller coming from DS4 and DualSense for a brief stint. It can get a little bit uncomfortable after long sessions of shooter type games for me, sometimes.

I like the bumpers, the triggers and the thumbsticks more on the XSX and the texture is very nice. I like the buttons a little better on the DualSense. Haven't used the DS in a while, so I can't accurately compare. The features of haptics and triggers are nice, though, and having a mic built in would be convenient on Xbox.

For me, not accounting for haptics/trigger implementation and just thinking about build quality and comfort and all that, they're about even. I may edge the XSX controller over the DS ever so slightly because of how much I like the triggers and textured grip. Using eneloops also makes battery life a non-issue so +1 there.

Both are great (y)

edit: oh one thing I kinda despise about the DualSense is the shape of the PS home button. I much preferred the rounded one over this very flat and cutout design.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I always like these threads because you just know there are construction dudes who talk about which cordless drill they prefer, the Milwaukee brushless 18v or the DeWalt 20v max.

"Oh my Gosh my hands hurt after using the DeWalt for more than 30 minutes." - Men, probably

Xbox simply because of the stick positioning. Both hands relaxed on the controller = left thumb on left stick which is used 90% of the time in most games. Also they fixed the only weakness: The D-Pad
Sony has some nice gimmicks, but to me it's just nice to have and i would deactivate it in multiplayer games anyways.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Hm, I don’t really know. They’re both super comfortable so I don’t have a preference there. I’d take the Dualsense since I’m one of the few who really enjoy the extra features. Of course, There’s only a matter of time before Xbox incorporates these features into theirs.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox Elite Series 2 is just amazing. Best controller ever, imo.

As far as DualSense vs regular Xbox controller, I like the haptics in DualSense, but beyond that they are exactly the same to me. I don't care about the stick placements. Either works fine. I move between them all the time and don't even notice.

Both controllers are great.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
1. Xbox series controller there's no such thing as a 'series x' or 'xsx' controller people..
2. Xbox 360 controller
3. switch pro controller
4. Dualsense controller
5. Wii U gamepad
Trash. Xbox One controller

Chukhopops

Series X every day of the week, it’s just the perfect design, built quality, stick placement, d-pad, responsiveness.

It’s the Michael Jordan quote about how you need to get your fundamentals right and the level of everything will rise, but turned into a product.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I received an Elite 2 controller from Taco Bell about a year and a half ago with the Xbox One X. After buying a Series X, I carried over the Elite 2 controller to go with my new console. I have never had any problems with any controllers in the past, but the Elite 2 has had so many problems with it. From an unresponsive B button, to the shoulder buttons failing, to the caps on the trigger slider falling off.

I put it in a box with the original console and now I really enjoy using the controller that came with the Series X. I’m just glad I didn’t put the $200 down to buy that controller originally.

I haven't tried Dualsense so far. All I know is the XSX controller is better than the XOne controller, and is much better than that turd called Dualshock 4. What a piece of shit.

Switch Pro controller is somewhere in the middle.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Dualsense has some cool new features over XSX controllers, like the trigger feedback etc. It’s a more exciting piece of technology that hasn’t been completely exploited outside of maybe Astrobot. But the Xbox Series controller feels better in your hands for long periods of time, and is still quite excellent as far as function and feel.

I’m not quite sold on the Dualsense technology over long periods of time outside of the realm of novelty. But I’ll give it a slight edge as a “next-generation” controller because of the potential that may/may not be realized.

MaKTaiL

All my three Dualsense controllers have analog drift. It's a great controller but the fact that Sony can't fix this fu*** thing drives me crazy.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I received an Elite 2 controller from Taco Bell about a year and a half ago with the Xbox One X. After buying a Series X, I carried over the Elite 2 controller to go with my new console. I have never had any problems with any controllers in the past, but the Elite 2 has had so many problems with it. From an unresponsive B button, to the shoulder buttons failing, to the caps on the trigger slider falling off.

I put it in a box with the original console and now I really enjoy using the controller that came with the Series X. I’m just glad I didn’t put the $200 down to buy that controller originally.
Yeah had to return one myself from a sticking button but my other one has been flawless since purchase.

I actually prefer the Razer Wolverine Ultimate as I like the back buttons much better plus has the chat controller built in so I can mute my mic very fast when the dogs act up but its a wired controller which turns off a lot of people.

Marvel

could never
On my third dualsense, they're not built well. But it's my favourite for fighting games.

Xbox series X pad I like but is too clicky and loud.

The Switch Pro controller is arguably my favorite out of the big three. I got an SX controller, it's basically an XB1 controller with a share button and better grip.

Don't have a PS5 but I was never a fan of the PS controllers

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
DualSense is what tech has reached so far, everything else is lagging behind.

RealTek audio chip onboard (high quality mic+speaker and accurate, sound-based rumble). Adaptive triggers that can be used as 2-buttons or give you feedback of your car isn't in a good shape (Wreckfest), arrow, gun trigger feel. All buttons are reachable from your native grip without changing your grip stance.

It's an all-around well-thought controller.

Xbox elite II controller is by far the best, no second close. ps5 is better than the ps4 but until it has offset analogs it can't come close. Duelsense hasn't really been a game changer to me personally.

If u have an elite 2 without any problems
The elite 2 is a thousand times better than any other controller.
The first time u hold an elite 2 it's a legit holyshit moment , it's that good, dualsense and xsx sucks in comparison.
So continuing with ur example op ,
If sx controller is a Ford f150 , and dual sense is a buggati , elite 2 is like a fighter jet lvl of an upgrade

Last edited:

Warablo

My thumbs feel more comfortable where the left stick is on the Xbox controller, especially how your hands form around a controller.

Still think the 360 controller is king though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
XSX has no gyro, so automatic win for Dual Sense, even though I prefer the stick positioning off the Xbox controllers.

sendit

Have both. Prefer a mouse and keyboard. PS5 feels more substantial and premium. Also, I have no issues adapting to the analog sticks of either the XSX or PS5 controller (not sure why this is such an issue for some). The only thing I dread about playing with either controller is aiming with an analog stick.

Top Bottom