• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX cold boot: 20 seconds / PS5 cold boot: 22 seconds (from alleged leaked UI vid)

VN1X

Banned
Original leak from reddit. Guy claims to have PS5 (maybe a Russian influencer), and offered to show the video for $100. Redditor paid for it.

PS5 might shave a second off if you have auto login set as it loads the profile seelction screen rather than UI. And the video, while it looks legit, could still be a fake

My win 10 PC with SSD boots up in like 8 seconds I think. These consoles must be doing a lot more under the hood.

Boot up from 00:37 - 00:57

Boot up from 00:00 - 00:22

FUCK YEAH MICROSOFT WINS AGAIN BOYS! YEEEHAW!

LordOfChaos

My question is still how a Slavtuber got a PS5 when it was only given to Japanese ones so far, also the UI is a mixup of either things Sony already showed or else very close to fan created concepts.

We'll see in under 16 hours.

This is it. The final fucking straw. I called the FBI and reported Jim Ryan for fraud. They laughed at me at first, but that stopped when I linked them this thread. The guy on the phone was like, "This isn't fraud, it's fucking treason!" You could really tell that his years of training were the only thing stopping him from bursting into tears right there. Needless to say, they made Jim's arrest a top priority, and he is probably already being interrogated as we speak.
I know you are "joking" but it reeks of insecurity. Im not seeing anyone make a deal out of this but fanboys be like "hurry and make joke to deal with my sudden feelings of inferiority!" No one gives a shit.

If that dashboard is real though it's damn ugly.

Andodalf

Banned
I know you are "joking" but it reeks of insecurity. Im not seeing anyone make a deal out of this but fanboys be like "hurry and make joke to deal with my sudden feelings of inferiority!" No one gives a shit.

If that dashboard is real though it's damn ugly.

DfvjoBb.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If it is indeed real, why is the big story being ignored that there's a black dualsense controller.

Sorry, but not a fan of the design of the white ones. Gimme all black!

Mr Hyde

It doesn't take a Switch much to mentally prepare for low res 90s era textures and character models consisting of 50 polygons.

Damn, the pathetic hot takes just keeps piling on. Did I rustle your weak console warrior heart? Feeling a bit insecure about your console of choice?

I find it incredible that people don’t understand what POST is and it’s exactly this what takes so long for both consoles.

It has nothing to do with the SSDs.

POST is Power-On Self-Test, the system turns on all devices (CPU, GPU, northbridge, southbridge, BT and Wifi modules etc), it’s also checking everything for errors.
This process takes longer the more shit it has to take care off, like having to turn on a bunch of external HDDs and dongles.
If it is indeed real, why is the big story being ignored that there's a black dualsense controller.

Sorry, but not a fan of the design of the white ones. Gimme all black!
we’ve known about the black dual sense for 2 month now.

8 seconds cold boot?

If its faststart with very little ever having been installed on the machine....as in its brand new or something thats still devilishly quick.

P.S I know some Win10 tablet/laptops that do fastboot trickery....but a PC as in a tower thats in active use cold booting in 8 seconds.....thats really quick.

8 seconds is pretty normal now on a decently set-up PC.

My PC starts from a complete power-down to being able to open a program in Win10 in about 13 seconds, and it only takes that long because I have it set to always prompt for BIOS for 5 seconds each time. Without that enabled, it's a bit under 8 seconds.

That's with my 250GB O/S NVMe drive, 4 SATA SSDs full of games, and an external bulk HDD that boots at startup.

My brother's Zenbook is even faster.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
8 seconds is pretty normal now on a decently set-up PC.

My PC starts from a complete power-down to being able to open a program in Win10 in about 13 seconds, and it only takes that long because I have it set to always prompt for BIOS for 5 seconds each time. Without that enabled, it's a bit under 8 seconds.

That's with my 250GB O/S NVMe drive, 4 SATA SSDs full of games, and an external bulk HDD that boots at startup.

My brother's Zenbook is even faster.
Cold boot?

Id like to see you guys record these cold boots because without faststart or some other boot "cheat" booting in under 10 seconds on a regular use machine seems too good to be true.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm no Sony fanboy, and I'm not getting a PS5.

Last edited:
Time for cerny to go. All that focus on ssds and we get this.

Yep, they should have hired you instead. Post your CV on the PS page asap. I will be gunning for Helmen’s job myself. We both have been active on forums for quite some time, so that makes us both more than qualified for the responsibilities involved. Good luck!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Console boot time isn't very interesting, you don't do that very often. I want to see game loading comparisons.

Doesn't mean much tbh , we're talking about first generation devkits, so it's probably not representative of the actual time we'll be getting on actual retail hardware.

RayHell

I don't get the comparison. Evaluation of startup time between two different hardware an OS ? I mean I can get 2 very different post time from my PC by just changing the motherboard. This really expose the level of debate GAFers has to offer.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

So um, this guy appeared to have exactly the right look for the fan shroud and black heatsink cowling. Unless he got REALLY creative just seeing an assembly line or something, seems like this was real.
That's what I thought when I saw the teardown today, I still am wondering if the model he had is a dev model of some sort though.

Then again they sent one to that Travis guy so who really knows.

so I already have both x and ps5 on pre order. I lean towards xbox as my preference. I just much prefer the xbox/windows eco system. As someone who's fairly neutral but enjoys the fanboy memes/wars for the lulz, i never thought we would get to a point of comparing the difference in seconds to load times and boot times lololol

pasterpl

So after tear down can we confirm that this is real? Does ps5 in fact book 2-4 seconds longer than Xbox series X?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The 2 seconds that won the war.

We really have reached the bottom of the barrel here havent we?

P.S Doesnt the PS5 OS have more features anyhoo?
That boot game to state shit is mind bendingly amazing, and is likely the greatest secret Sony still hasnt told us about. Fuck liquidmetal I dont give a fuck about that.

For us Burnout/HP'10 fans being able to boot a game directly to the race/roadrage/timeattack that RacerX just fucked us over in is a feature I cant not praise.
Hell im pretty sure the PS5 Boot to state will even allow gamers to boot directly to the match found screen of MP games.
If the state you want to boot to is search for Deathmatch in COD, when you click that state in the OS, within 10 seconds youll go from Dashboard to actually fighting.......Think about how much time youll save in Fighting Games, boot the console, click the Ranked State and again within a few seconds kicks are flying...........how is that not something Sony havent talked about yet?

This keeping the cards close to the chest shit is bullshit, we know its out there....now give it to us!

Kokoloko85

Cold boot? Yeah actually it's weird it still takes this long for both

Yeah, my Pro takes about 33-35 seconds to get the to user/welcome back to playstation screen.
20 seconds is cool, but was expected less From both. With the SSD and better CPU etc
I guess Im nitpicking lol

Kokoloko85

what do you mean? Didn’t you look at the Video? It’s 22 seconds according to the leak. And the leak should be accurate since part of the leak are already confirmed since the teardown.

Yeah under 20 seconds is less than 22 seconds.
I was expecting like 10-15 seconds lol

Pallas

Huh I’m skeptical of that PS5 video but that controller looks legit I think. Still the shit some of you do for any PS5 info, $100 for a damn video of the supposed boot up? Ya’ll lost your mind.

I do like the dynamic background in Series X and I hope the PS5 keeps that. I really loved that about the PS4 interface.

what do you mean? Didn’t you look at the Video? It’s 22 seconds according to the leak. And the leak should be accurate since part of the leak are already confirmed since the teardown.

Why the black controller though?

I don't believe he had the retail package which is why hes messing the white DualSense.

Top Bottom