• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX cold boot: 20 seconds / PS5 cold boot: 22 seconds (from alleged leaked UI vid)

cormack12

Gold Member
Original leak from reddit. Guy claims to have PS5 (maybe a Russian influencer), and offered to show the video for $100. Redditor paid for it.

PS5 might shave a second off if you have auto login set as it loads the profile seelction screen rather than UI. And the video, while it looks legit, could still be a fake

My win 10 PC with SSD boots up in like 8 seconds I think. These consoles must be doing a lot more under the hood.

Boot up from 00:37 - 00:57

Boot up from 00:00 - 00:22

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
According to IGN at least it’s only 10-12 seconds for Xbox series X:

It also boots up from an always-on state almost instantly, and obviously faster than Xbox One X. Cold boot, too, is also a lot quicker than the One X, taking about 10-12 seconds compared to almost a minute for the One X.
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-hands-on-load-times-quick-resume-and-compatibility

It also depends on how long your TV takes to show the input signal. For some TVs it takes longer.
Also, the Video you posted is a restart. Not a cold boot.

for correct measurements he should unplug the console. And then just turn it on using the button on the console.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
Original leak from reddit. Guy claims to have PS5 (maybe a Russian influencer), and offered to show the video for $100. Redditor paid for it.

PS5 might shave a second off if you have auto login set as it loads the profile seelction screen rather than UI. And the video, while it looks legit, could still be a fake

My win 10 PC with SSD boots up in like 8 seconds I think. These consoles must be doing a lot more under the hood.

Boot up from 00:37 - 00:57

Boot up from 00:00 - 00:22

Where is the glowing PS icon like it was showed during Astrobot demo???

It's fake to me

Switch boots up in like 2 seconds 🤷‍♂️

Not when completely shut down, mine takes 20-30s from that state.

Anyway this video looks fishy, because there is so long time without signal before ps logo so maybe it is indeed restart, not normal power up.

I'm more interested in starting from standby mode, as it is not that common to completely shut down console. I do it only if I have to physically move it or change apartment

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
wait for Digital Foundry video before jumping to conclusion

.... XboxSeries X with 10% quicker load. 10% more powerful confirmed.

cormack12

Gold Member
Also, the Video you posted is a restart. Not a cold boot.

No, he shuts down the xbox, then he starts it back up. Do you know the difference? Its not a restart.

jsGmc7.jpg

Mmnow

If this is real, and I'm not convinced this is, then this isn't even close to bad for PlayStation. Its just really good for Xbox.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone know what this says? I thought it might be a button or confirmation to proceed?

jHgK1z.jpg

Where is the glowing PS icon like it was showed during Astrobot demo???

It's fake to me

Depends, you can choose to auto boot into profiles maybe, or have the security/welcome screen. Maybe it was switched on by the hardware button on the PS5 and didn't have a DualSense switched on like the PS4 does? It was just a video and we coudln't see the controller for example in the astrobot clip

u22x7rkqh1o31.jpg

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Could very well be real. Looks perfectly plausible.

But to play Devil’s advocate: everything on the screen could quite easily be created using existing video effects packages. That controller could either be a dev kit one, or 3d printed (Though that takes a huge degree of skill).

Or... this is dev kit footage, which probably wouldn’t act the same as retail.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm guessing this is real. whether it's final or not is a different matter. However, if we're arguing over a 2 sec difference in cold boot up times, we really need to review our gaming priorities...

nemiroff

Gold Member
I dont normally thread-whine, but the urge is real, this is a ridiculous topic, not confirmed new news. At least the uselessness would be better baked into an informative thread with confirmed information.

And interestingly enough my W10 PC boots up in ~5 seconds.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Is it me or after all this talks, 20 sec to boot is still kinda slow?!

Some pc boot in less than 10 sec (less than 5 if you make some adjustments)

Yeah, that was my thinking too. 2 seconds is negligible between both (if the UI leak is real) but it's still double my PC. These OS technically should be stripped down and bare bones, highly optimised to serve just one purpose. Driver list should be tiny, so it must be doing like full memory checks, and starting services must take a bit of time as well, maybe some dependencies which can't be sped up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, that was my thinking too. 2 seconds is negligible between both (if the UI leak is real) but it's still double my PC. These OS technically should be stripped down and bare bones, highly optimised to serve just one purpose. Driver list should be tiny, so it must be doing like full memory checks, and starting services must take a bit of time as well, maybe some dependencies which can't be sped up.

In my perfect world, os on consolles are like the ps1, an icon for games, one for options, stop, 20 mb of resources used.

But people need all the modern bullshit so...

Who can live without switching between 14 active games while watching netflix and amazon prime simultaneously?! I know i can't...

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
This is real, but probably not the retail build of the UI.... And 20 seconds is perfectly fine.

Saying that, I don't expect it to be too much faster in the retail consoles.

This is what happens when Sony fanboys are all over the XsX boot up times. When the reality of the situation on the PS5 side is unknown. People need to stop taking what is said by execs and company employees as gospel. I don't expect the retail units to start cold in less than 15 seconds. Which again is totally fucking fine

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone know what this says? I thought it might be a button or confirmation to proceed?

jHgK1z.jpg

Depends, you can choose to auto boot into profiles maybe, or have the security/welcome screen. Maybe it was switched on by the hardware button on the PS5 and didn't have a DualSense switched on like the PS4 does? It was just a video and we coudln't see the controller for example in the astrobot clip

u22x7rkqh1o31.jpg

The top pic almost looks like the display’s overlay itself for the input when the signal came on. HDMI 1, 2, 3, etc.

Last edited:
This is it. The final fucking straw. I called the FBI and reported Jim Ryan for fraud. They laughed at me at first, but that stopped when I linked them this thread. The guy on the phone was like, "This isn't fraud, it's fucking treason!" You could really tell that his years of training were the only thing stopping him from bursting into tears right there. Needless to say, they made Jim's arrest a top priority, and he is probably already being interrogated as we speak.

Top Bottom