• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia T |OT|-The James Bond Phone- A Global Android and PlayStation Mobile Flagship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengoku

Definitely considering this phone, I assume the build quality should be better than the S3? How about the UI skin over android? how does Sony's tack up against Samsung's Touchwiz?

that V is really making me question my decision to get the ion, but I love this thing too much

it's good that it gets an official thread though, the more people know the better

also they have got to branch out to at least T-Mobile and Verizon

Mario007

Definitely considering this phone, I assume the build quality should be better than the S3? How about the UI skin over android? how does Sony's tack up against Samsung's Touchwiz?

Both the build quality and the skin are briefly summed up on the OP.

Timescape is actually a great skin for android. It's only little tweaks here and there so nothing at all as heavy as Touchwiz, but you get a couple of cool apps like the Walkman or the Timescape widget which make the life much easier and the whole experience much better.

I also love their keyboard. I know it's a small thing, but it was just so damn well done.

Website like the verge or phonearena call the V a mid-range phone. I mean seriously...

I completely agree though. My Arc S was way better optimised and ran so much better than my new Motorola RAZR which has 2 cores and twice as much RAM.

It's the same story for the display. Sony isn't on the AMOLED bandwago but look at the comparison in the OP, their screens are actually better. I can attest to this by comparing my RAZR and my brother's Arc S. It's also a weakness of their marketing I guess. If they called the Xperia S's screen with 342 ppi something cool like Retina, maybe then the journalists and public would swallow it up.

Huh? I thought S was generally well received?

Seriously, Sony has two phones that has really high-pixel density (xperia Ion{326} and S{342}) yet they can't come up with a name. Bravia Engine in my opinion does not cut it, they need something that will grab peoples attention.

Touchwiz is heavy, Timescape is really light (simplistic, though it has a lot of apps that taps into the Sony ecosystem). Really comes down to preference.

nib95

Banned
Camera quality and battery life still less than expected imo. Still don't feel this is a flagship, but it's a great phone nonetheless.

Huh? I thought S was generally well received?
What clusterfuck?
Yellow tint on parts of the screen, screen less responsive than previous iPhone 3GS and current Galaxy S3, non-removable battery with shitty battery life, flimsy plastic creaking battery cover, creaking front screen around the middle capacitive button if a little pressure is applied to it, unresponsive capacitive dots, camera had trouble focusing even though software claimed it had and took a blurry picture, camera is really bad in low-light conditions.

Could have been extremely unlucky but I've never been that displeased with any other phone (and I've even had a Windows Mobile 6 phone)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Yellow tint on parts of the screen, screen less responsive than previous iPhone 3GS and current Galaxy S3, non-removable battery with shitty battery life, flimsy plastic creaking battery cover, creaking front screen around the middle capacitive button if a little pressure is applied to it, unresponsive capacitive dots, camera had trouble focusing even though software claimed it had and took a blurry picture, camera is really bad in low-light conditions.

Could have been extremely unlucky but I've never been that displeased with any other phone (and I've even had a Windows Mobile 6 phone)

A lot of these software issues were fixed in the ICS update. As for the hardware ones, yeah, I've heard of them as well.

I think you were just unlucky. I think all of the problems were fixed with the the 6.1.A.2.54 update. Well except the yellow tint, but they were replacing them in the UK for people who had problems.

equap

Banned
I'm still holding my breath on the next Google Nexus phone being made by Sony. I have no doubt it will be the most awesomest phone ever.

Patriots7

Sony, Nokia, and Apple are the only major players capable of making beautiful designs.

I really wish Sony starts getting major attention in the mobile space. Their phones are amazingly designed, hell, Apple even sighted them (the Arc S) as examples of original design in their Samsung case.

I'm still holding my breath on the next Google Nexus phone being made by Sony. I have no doubt it will be the most awesomest phone ever.

Don't count on one. Sony would not be able to bundle all of their software with a Nexus. No Walkman app, no Album app, no PS-Mobile etc... Sony like Android because they can push their services over it but Google won't allow them to do that with a Nexus.

M.D

The Xperia T/V look hot. I love the Iphone style keyboard they have.
If it wasn't for my horrible experience with my Galaxy S, I would have probably gone for the T, but I'm just too scared to get close to an Android device at the moment.

nib95

Banned
Sony, Nokia, and Apple are the only major players capable of making beautiful designs.

I really wish Sony starts getting major attention in the mobile space. Their phones are amazingly designed, hell, Apple even sighted them (the Arc S) as examples of original design in their Samsung case.

Galaxy Nexus and HTX One X disagree.

Polari

The Xperia V looks sexy. I do believe Sony are the best Android OEM, great hardware, minimal UI skin and (for the 2011 range at least) timely updates. My only problem is this: why release so many models? Do five models a year, flagship twice with a 4.6" screen, mid-range twice with a 4.2" screen, budget once with a 3.7" inch screen. Instead they've released god knows how many phones this year, and many of them I can barely tell the difference between.

That looks crazy hot but I really love the S design, its the phone that made me look at Sonys phones seriously.

The only problem is I can't see myself leaving Galaxy Nexus and its successor.

Patriots7

Galaxy Nexus and HTX One X disagree.
I honestly have never held a One X, but I do think it's a nice design.

I own a Galaxy Nexus however, and I frankly think there is leagues between Samsung and the God Tier phone designers. Compared to my former iPhone 4, the Galaxy Nexus feels like a cheap plastic-y toy. Far from a premium smartphone.

Is there a link that walks through the current UI for the Xperia range? Haven't seen Sony styled ICS yet (The Ion I played with was running 2.3)

equap

Banned
Don't count on one. Sony would not be able to bundle all of their software with a Nexus. No Walkman app, no Album app, no PS-Mobile etc... Sony like Android because they can push their services over it but Google won't allow them to do that with a Nexus.
god damn it, dude!!!!

/fml

falastini

That's a shame. I hope the battery isn't that bad. Guess we'll see what the other reviewers say about it. I can't imagine the LTE version will be better.

Roo

It definitely looks elegant
that's what I love about Sony's phones
but I'm using this baby right now and I'm totally satisfied :p

xperia-p-silver-486x489.png

Fezan

Judging by the length of this thread lioks like sony will have hard time becoming top contender in mobile phone space

spats

Judging by the length of this thread lioks like sony will have hard time becoming top contender in mobile phone space

That's really astute of you. :p

My piece of junk Samsung is on its way out so I'll likely jump back to Sony (Ericsson) phones when it shits the bed. This one sounds and looks great.

Sony make nice phones for sure, but they need to start sticking higher capacity batteries in their phones.
I get about 4.5 hours of screen on time with my current XS over a 12 hour day, Sony needs to get at least 8 hours of screen on time (at a reasonable brightness level) for me to consider getting another one of their phones.

nubbe

Where the fuck is the android playstation store?
and xperia play 2?!

i feel rage.....

Sony make nice phones for sure, but they need to start sticking higher capacity batteries in their phones.
I get about 4.5 hours of screen on time with my current XS over a 12 hour day, Sony needs to get at least 8 hours of screen on time (at a reasonable brightness level) for me to consider getting another one of their phones.

I got better battery time when I uninstalled all Sonly bloatware on my Acro S

Fezan

I dont think battery issue is exclusive to xperias. My note and 3gs have also absymal batteries. Specaily note it barely lasts half a day.

and xperia play 2?!

i feel rage.....

October 3rd (so two weeks from now) for PlayStation Mobile, launches in 9 countries, there is a thread on the gaming side.

As for Xperia Play 2, I have been told by a lot of people that they are not going to make another one. A Vita phone SKU is a possibility, but that is unlikely to run Android as it would not be able to play Vita games. After the update fiasco with the Play, Sony are staying away from non-standard SKUs, and I think that's a good lesson learned.

I dont think battery issue is exclusive to xperias. My note and 3gs have also absymal batteries. Specaily note it barely lasts half a day.

Yup, Samsung got it right with the S3, they stuck a massive 2100mAh battery in it, Sony should have done the same with the T.

Oh, and Mario, the UI is not called Timescape, it is called eDream. Timescape was the X10 integrated launcher which was then reduced to an app, and now doesn't exist. They are up to version 6/7/8, version 9 will be rolled out with the Jelly Bean update.

Mario007

http://recombu.com/mobile/reviews/sony/xperia-t/

Just read the review. Summary is its great phone with small battery time

Thanks will update the OP.

We'll help em get there :p It's good that this thread actually has a nice bit of activity, so it's at least something.

and xperia play 2?!

i feel rage.....

Play is still the lowest base point for PS Mobile and still gets timed exclusives of games such as Minecraft or Lara Croft Guardian of Light so I'd say Sony are sticking with it for the time being.

Yeah, I mean Sony's battery is a 1850 one, so it's not too bad. It's just that the battery tech hasn't really improved with the smartphones.

Yup, Samsung got it right with the S3, they stuck a massive 2100mAh battery in it, Sony should have done the same with the T.

I think that's one of the drawbacks of the Arc design, the battery size suffers a bit.

Phonearena also posted their review, T got an 8 with the drawbacks being screen viewing angles (which is weird when we look at the comparison in the OP) and that it 'doesn't bring anything new to the table' (they'll give iPhone5 a 9 for 'being the good old iphone'). I'll update the OP with it.

Jayhawk

I plan on replacing my iPhone 3GS early next year and this is one of my top choices for the new phone, since I prefer the look of this phone over Samsung's flagship.

This phone will probably become my next phone. According to the first benchmarks it beats the GS3.

I hope Sony makes a trend of putting a flagship title every year and not dozens wich leave consumers confused.

Engadget in my eyes is the trash of tech blogs, reading their other reviews they will never concluded with "It's difficult to pin any major improvements or innovations that the Xperia T brings to phone buyers". As if the other phones bring any major innovations, why even mention that?

Because Engadget thinks the iPhone is innovative every time.
9Ks5t.png

Engadget in my eyes is the trash of tech blogs, reading their other reviews they will never concluded with "It's difficult to pin any major improvements or innovations that the Xperia T brings to phone buyers". As if the other phones bring any major innovations, why even mention that?

After reading the iPhone 5 review from Engadget, I can't take them seriously. That kind of line thrown at the bottom of the T review is such a stupid thing to say, especially after that absolutely ridiculous iPhone review.

Mario007

Le sigh, in order of being impartial I'll have to add it to the OP but I just read it and it was just an awful review. Sony releases Xperia S, engadget says it's old tech and you should not buy, Sony releases Xperia T with the most up-to-date processor that beats everyone else in the benchmarks and it's a 'marginal upgrade' and you should not buy. Not to mention T is cheaper than S3 and iPhone 5 and One X.

Because Engadget thinks the iPhone is innovative every time.
9Ks5t.png

After reading the iPhone 5 review from Engadget, I can't take them seriously. That kind of line thrown at the bottom of the T review is such a stupid thing to say, especially after that absolutely ridiculous iPhone review.

I completely agree with you guys. Reading the iPhone5 and Xperia T reviews back-to-back makes me really question whether or not to even go back to them. I'm looking forward to the Verge (though they do dislike Sony over there) and mainly GSM Arena and Techradar. They do the most thorough reviews.

It's like the tech world just swallows up everything apple says without question while at the same time giving hard time to anyone but apple for the exact same things.

This is especially ridiculous:

But, with a software update now readily available on that older phone (we refreshed the older phone with the latest software to compare in this review) it's difficult to pin any major improvements or innovations that the Xperia T brings to phone buyers.

Shouldn't Sony be applauded for not stupidly keeping some of its apps exclusive to the flagship but rather bringing them over to their other phones?

Mario007

Ok used the xperia T for sometime. If some body wants to ask something then ill be happy to answer

What are your general impressions about it? Especially when it comes to the display and battery life, how are there?

(also what was your last phone, so we can see where you're coming from)

Engadget are a bunch of idiots, Sony deserve praise for not holding back software updates and UI updates from older phones like HTC and Samsung who both cite performance issues (spuriously) and instead they rage that the T is not a large enough update. It's a tails you lose heads I win kind of situation for Sony, because I'm sure that if they had not bothered to add the new UI upgrades to the S Engadget would have said that the update situation is unclear and they are worried about whether Sony would fully support the T when 2013 devices are out.

From one of the commenters:

"Sony adds on screen buttons, a new camera(not camera lens cover), new UI, expandable storage, new design and a new screen then you call it not enough?

Perhaps if they added Apple Maps and Passbook instead of Music and Video unlimited..."

Which pretty much sums it up for me. This is no incremental update, it is a brand new phone.

It's a complete BS review and the writer is in there trying to defend it against pretty much all the comments which are calling them out over it. I'm not going to say it is a perfect device, a perfect device would have a slightly larger battery and launch with Jelly Bean either on board or as a day zero update, but both are relatively minor quibbles and I'm sure Jelly Bean will come very soon and that will bring a performance and battery life boost with it.

buhdeh

lol just stop going to engadget. the verge's review of the iphone 5 was way better even though the score seemed off based on the content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom