• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCloud vs Luna - First to Death

First to Retire?

• XCloud

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • Luna

Votes: 104 87.4%

• Total voters

FritzJ92

So it is just a matter of time before both services die, GamePass will continue alongside games downloads but Streaming is dead in water for Gaming.

Here are 6 Reasons why Streaming is a piece of trash and will never take of:

1. No Ownership of Games (Want a better reason?)

2. Gaming requires input from the user, so far Streaming offers a worst way to play then a dedicated gaming device (Mobile/Pc/Console)

3. Free To Play Dominates a 4 Billion + market in which people have already bought the phones and won´t spend more money of Sub services aside from Disney + or Netflix

4. 300M Console Gamers won´t Switch to Streaming, PS NOW is dead in water, most people there DOWNLOAD GAMES.

5. 1Billion + hardcore Pc Gamers are crazy about their Graphics Cards and 240hz screens, good luck with these, even worst than on Console.

6. Streaming Resolution is pathetic, Gaming requires input and many people play very close to the screen, unlike movies that you can be far away

Subs Services on Gaming won´t work like on TV because it requires user input, no service will ever cross 100M users apart from PS+. the reason PS+ might get there is because SONY forces it on YOU to play ONLINE !
Before I acknowledge how absurd your claim is about XCloud which isn’t trying to be its own streaming service but complimentary. I must ask you where the hell you got 1 billion number from regarding hardcore PC Gamers?... you realize the most powerful graphic card is for the niche gamer. The majority is satisfied with mid or low end cards.

drganon

Luna will die first. X cloud will probably stick around for a little bit, but will never be even close to how the majority of people play games.

Derktron

Banned
Who the hell comes up with these threads? How ignorant can OP be to even think like this, he must hate Microsoft so damn much. You would be foolish enough to even think that xCloud (which is just an add-on to the Xbox ecosystem) that Microsoft would even shut that service down. I can see the argument with Google vs. Amazon because let's be honest, these two companies should not touch anything in gaming. Because Google tells a good story.

Derktron

Banned
Luna will die first. X cloud will probably stick around for a little bit, but will never be even close to how the majority of people play games.
I agree, it's an add-on to their many services that they offer now. Now I could see them make some sort of streaming stick to play some games in your house.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

5. 1Billion + hardcore Pc Gamers are crazy about their Graphics Cards and 240hz screens, good luck with these, even worst than on Console.
You know most PC players own crappy PCs or laptops and play games like LoL, CS or Minecraft. right?

Gaming streaming in order to be successful has to packaged in a manner that will appeal to the larger crowd of casuals.

1. Netflix Gaming

2. Sony+

timestamped

Last edited:

Shmunter

In the context of billions of mobile users paying for it as part of their go to gaming diet, I just cannot see it at all.

As a side option for Xbox users, yes it will stay, but it will be in the background like PSNow.

Without such mass reach however gamepass long term viability will come into focus.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
microsoft are the only ones to do streaming right.

sony, nvidia, google, amazon are ass.

In the context of billions of mobile users paying for it as part of their go to gaming diet, I just cannot see it at all.

As a side option for Xbox users, yes it will stay, but it will be in the background like PSNow.

Without such mass reach however gamepass long term viability will come into focus.

i'm sure people in the music + film industry were saying this too prior to spotify/netflix.

but then gamers are a special kind of idiot so you might be right.

Last edited:
Xcloud is here to stay. Wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft announces in a couple of years that they will shift focus from making consoles to building on social gaming platform through cloud. Microsoft are better positioned to completely switch from traditional consoles games company to cloud people. They’ve already got the customer base. Amazon Luna is here just to ease the pain of google stadia for their misfortunes. You know like two drunk friends drinking and sharing sad stories. One of the two will pass out first and this case it was google stadia with the closure of internal game studios

Shmunter

microsoft are the only ones to do streaming right.

sony, nvidia, google, amazon are ass.

i'm sure people in the music + film industry were saying this too prior to spotify/netflix.

but then gamers are a special kind of idiot so you might be right.
We shall see I guess. I thought it’s going to be the next huge thing myself there for awhile. Genuinely thought stadia will light the world on fire. Ease of use, in a browser, click into the game from any related YouTube video etc. super accessible, wasn’t to be the case.

Then i though xcloud would do it. But now that it’s been available for a while and I’m not hearing a single buzz around it. Not even on here.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
i can see luna sticking around much longer than google.
Luna is positioned as decentralized option - ie. it'll be around at least as long as there are publishers wanting to run their stores.
In the scenarios where streaming fails(or continues to fail, I should say) commercially - it likely has the most longevity of any option.

MaulerX

This really shouldn't be a question as they are vastly different.

Like Stadia, Luna IS the product. Streaming is the only way to access and play games.

XCloud is and will remain a complementary service and just another way to access your games (PC natively , Xbox family of consoles natively, Android and soon IOS and PC via XCloud).

So to answers the question if one of them was going to fold it would be Luna. No doubt.

not a thing you said wasnt already irrelevant or very close to being irrelevant in the near future.

streaming will 100000% take over at some point.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Luna for sure, xcloud will be a value add for game pass ult and doesn’t have to stand on its own.

longdi

Banned
Luna is positioned as decentralized option - ie. it'll be around at least as long as there are publishers wanting to run their stores.
In the scenarios where streaming fails(or continues to fail, I should say) commercially - it likely has the most longevity of any option.

as MaulerX MaulerX said, streaming is more complementary than a full fledged commercial possibility. Those who game heavily on mobile, will play games designed for mobile.

Those old skoool GAFFERS who plays big budget games, will want the best experience, and streaming is just good to have.

Thats why im extermely bullish about the way MS is approaching this new distribution paradigm. :messenger_rocket:

Top Bottom