• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox's Ben Decker says they will address exclusivity of Zenimax titles after acquisition but their goal is to get more people into Xbox community

Forsythia

It is the entitlement of some fan boys. It usually is the so called master race and port begging. Now that Microsoft will have some games with while it is the justified port begging.

Before: Xbox has no exclusives, therefore I won't buy an Xbox
Now: Xbox needs to release their exclusives on PS5

Who are they kidding, they have no intention of buying an Xbox ever. But they all have an amazing $3000 PC, right, so why keep portbegging?

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
They don't need people to buy more Xboxes though, they just need more Gamepass subscribers. Which isn't the same thing at all.

The big appeal of buying Bethesda is their value in the PC space, not their console operations.

The reality is that the PC market is far larger and more lucrative; making gains in that space is simply better for business than trying to fight Sony and Nintendo on their own turf.

The unified GDK approach is a dead giveaway, especially as strengthening their PC operations will also act as a bulwark against Google, Amazon and other big players looking to enter the competition without creating their own console ecosystems. just service platforms.
There is so many problems with the PC market. First if you don't kiss lord gaben's ring your screwed. Gamespass is not coming to steam be a money loser for everyone but lord gaben and his 30%. PC gamers love to spend on hardware but not software. The only games to make money over there is free to play crap or minecraft type stuff. PC gamers are conditioned to buy on pennies on the dollar from some third world countries using a vpn. Gamespass subscriptions will come from consoles. That is why stadia and everyone else will fail you need the console subscription base to support the rest of the streaming.

While I don't have any firm belief one way or another and I'm not really invested in this (The haphazard way they're responding multiple different things show they don't really know well themselves and I'm a PC gamer primarily, so I get the games regardless), this is simply silly.

ANY game on game pass helps sell game pass. It's added value for the customer at the same price.

Timed exclusives would help sell game pass as much as they help sell consoles. And they do, otherwise, first parties wouldn't bother spending money on timed exclusives.
Only Sony does AAA timed exclusives these days. Microsoft does lots of indy and AA timed exclusives but the AAA timed exclusives they basically stopped. It is a waste of money. An indy is cheap to time exclusive a AAA game better off putting that towards studio purchases.

Last edited:

bxrz

Bethesda have not made a game I've liked since skyrim in 2011 so it's no big loss in all honesty if there xbox /pc exclusive, them and bioware went to shit last gen compared to previous gens. I'd take sony's exclusives over Bethesda's any day of the week. And yes, i own a series x so no playstation bias.
Fallout 4 was good

The Shepard

Fallout 4 was good

I couldn't get into it, I think fallout 3 burnt me out on the formula and I did love that game, spent over 100 hours on it. I couldn't get into new Vegas either.

I'm sure I played fallout 4 after witcher 3 aswell which wouldn't have helped.

Yeah keep telling yourself that Lol.
Is that what you tell yourself to help you sleep?

Its called its not gonna work either way.
Its a sure way of studios closing or having to decrease the amount they put into there projects.

I get it, you're smarter than the leaders of a trillion dollar company. They should definitely hire you for your incredibly informed input.

Redlancet

Banned
Nobody know shit yet some people here act like they know what gonna happen, oh Man im gonna have a good laugh in the future

Kokoloko85

I get it, you're smarter than the leaders of a trillion dollar company. They should definitely hire you for your incredibly informed input.

Well thank you. Don was doing a great job as he was a leader of a Trillion Dollar Company right.... very smart leaders lol.
But I prefer to think titles don’t mean anything unless your producing results.

Id proabably do a better job than saying “this E3 Is our best year of games ever, blah blah blah...”
Any maybe when releasing a new console have a first party exclusive.... Setting all sorts of standards Phil is lmao.

Id advice releasing some Triple A 1st party exclusives outside of Forza and Gears.

They’ve been a little scarce since 2010 when Playstation started dominating with their exclusive games.

If those PS5 to Xbox 3:1 sales projections are correct, there's no way these won't end up on PS5.
incorrect, if games move hardware. If you dont think Elderscrolls will move hardware. MS could go either route, build Xbox hardware numbers or get rich from gamepass and games sells using PS5. To me its a win win, and I do think they will recoup money from the Bethesda purchase, it might take some gens.

Last edited:
Xbox is gonna get cucked by Sony's huge dominance and force them to release Bethesda's precious wives of an IP on their platform
KYcEN0G.png

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Only Sony does AAA timed exclusives these days. Microsoft does lots of indy and AA timed exclusives but the AAA timed exclusives they basically stopped. It is a waste of money. An indy is cheap to time exclusive a AAA game better off putting that towards studio purchases.

It's a waste of money because you say so? 😂

Sorry, but I cannot see any reason why MS couldn't issue a clear statement of intent as to what operations will change/stay the same after acquisition.

Whether this changes, based on what the terms of sale are, or due to regulatory bodies requirements, whatever is a different matter. They could and should be more direct (if not transparent due to business complexity) about this.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...ws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

It's literally in Microsoft's best interest to be as vague as possible before they get the two thumbs up. Once that happens, I expect no less than 96 billion tweets per minute about the exclusivity of all of ZeniMax on Xbox.

BabyYoda

Banned
The 7.5 billion “lost” thing is people not understanding business.

If you spend 7.5 billion to get a company worth 7.5 billion, you have lost 0$

You have a bit less cash on hand, but MS doesn’t have a problem getting more crash on hand. As long as Zenimax retains its value, every dollar earned from it is profit.
One thing I'm unclear about, when you buy a company that owns itself, where does the money go exactly? Shareholders? I have no idea!

silentstorm

I thought Bethesda had already confirmed that whatever ends up happening, their games will be on Game Pass day one?

I think i saw that title on Destructoid or was i just dreaming, wasn't Game Pass day 1 already confirmed?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...ws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

It's literally in Microsoft's best interest to be as vague as possible before they get the two thumbs up. Once that happens, I expect no less than 96 billion tweets per minute about the exclusivity of all of ZeniMax on Xbox.

Oh indeed, that's why they aren't making any definitive statements of intent publicly. There's no legal reason for them not to state their intentions in this regard, as they will actually have to state their plans to the FTC in order not to get blocked on anti-trust grounds!

The distinction between intentions (what they'd like to happen), and plans (what they actually can do) is what I'm getting at. And that anyone thinking that they are somehow barred from saying what their desired business model is publicly is being misled. If they seem vague, its deliberately intentional.

You’re probably correct XBox fans. Bethesda games won’t be coming to Ps5.

You must be right, because your recent track record with predictions about things has been so spot o -

...oh.

Don’t need to be Nostradamus to predict this one tbf.

Microsoft spent all that money to strengthen their brand. Plain and simple. Maybe if so many PlayStation fanboys were less obnoxious fewer people would be happy about it.

Been wondering lately why I don’t enjoy PlayStation as much as Xbox, PC and Nintendo, and it’s because of its toxic ‘all Sony all the time’ fans... Ruins it for me. Still bought it though lol.

You’re probably correct XBox fans. Bethesda games won’t be coming to Ps5.

You must be right, because your recent track record with predictions about things has been so spot o -

...oh.
And all the predictions were correct no? SSD is not faster than XSX, first-party games - despite being cross gen like Valhalla and others - runs exactly as expected (with even 1440p60fps on Series S) with minor hiccups that will be fixed by patches (I mean Gears 5 runs very nice on Series S and X and have better looks than Valhalla, that certainly has some issues. And in time it will run even better. Everything is ok), and in not broken third-party games XSX shows good results even with issues with GDK (whether it is slightly better AA or draw distance). Not to mention Xbox is a better-looking console :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On the other hand, for PS5 fans won't have any excuses if PS5 underperforming in anything (2x as fast SSD, let's do it), because nothing indicates they have issues with SDK, nor they have additional consoles to work with. Whether they will need excuses remains to be seen, but all in all the gen has just started.

Last edited:
I think MS actually like the double messaging around this issue. It's keeping them and the Zenimax purchase in the news and topical.
If MS had of come out and said "It's all Xbox exclusive" then this story would have died down and no one would be talking about it any More. But when you have all this vague messaging, and contradictory statements, it continues the talk and debate on forums and the press. MS would be loving this.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was actually planned to be like this.

ZehDon

"Microsoft HAS to release Bethesda games on PlayStation. They HAVE to make as much money as possible!"

Exactly. This is why Sony announced that their Spider-man game(s), featuring a super-hero character famous around the world and made ever-more popular by the record-setting success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films, would also be available on Microsoft's Xbox platform. Sony aren't stupid - they wouldn't lock up one of the most popular super-heroes of all time to a single platform. Not when there are literally tens of millions of paying fans on Xbox. It would be corporate suicide to leave Spider-man on one platform; their shareholders would straight up revolt. Sony wouldn't leave all that money on the table. This is what NeoGAF doesn't understand: corporations solely exist to make money. Sony will be making that Xbox availability announcement any day, guys. Yessir... any day now...

Humdinger

I'm expecting a one-year exclusivity and Day 1/freebie on Gamepass. That should give them plenty of leverage, plus it'll allow them to reap profits from the PS5 install base and maybe Switch as well. But we'll see what they decide.

Brofist

There is so many problems with the PC market. First if you don't kiss lord gaben's ring your screwed. Gamespass is not coming to steam be a money loser for everyone but lord gaben and his 30%. PC gamers love to spend on hardware but not software. The only games to make money over there is free to play crap or minecraft type stuff. PC gamers are conditioned to buy on pennies on the dollar from some third world countries using a vpn. Gamespass subscriptions will come from consoles. That is why stadia and everyone else will fail you need the console subscription base to support the rest of the streaming.

So much lol in one paragraph.

You know there's a one sentence catch all and you didn't need to waste your time. PC gaming is dead!!!

quest

Not Banned from OT
So much lol in one paragraph.

You know there's a one sentence catch all and you didn't need to waste your time. PC gaming is dead!!!
Not dead but subsidized by console gamers. With the PC user base full priced sales should be much higher. Instead it is sales once games get to pennies on the dollar.

Hunnybun

My honest opinion is that if they were going to make them all exclusive they'd have indicated as much by now. They'd have said something along the lines of their games will be treated like other first party titles and left it at that.

Originally I was convinced they'd make them exclusive but it just doesn't seem like it anymore.

So my guess is day 1 Game Pass plus timed exclusivity, maybe exclusive features, DLC etc.

And I'd guess they're going to try to push to have GP on PlayStation as part of all this.

Well people won’t join the Xbox community if they can simply play Bethesda games on the PS5.

But then right after he says that he wants as many people playing their games as possible. By that logic the games should be on PS5 so he hasn’t really said anything that makes sense.
So you think he means people who have smartphones and PCs? Those people will also have access and aren't necessarily PS5 gamers.

Orta

Banned
I can't be bothered reading another one of these threads but I take it they are still talking utter horseshit about a major Microsoft first party releasing games on its primary competitors system?

Bless :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hezekiah

Banned
Before: Xbox has no exclusives, therefore I won't buy an Xbox
Now: Xbox needs to release their exclusives on PS5

Who are they kidding, they have no intention of buying an Xbox ever. But they all have an amazing $3000 PC, right, so why keep portbegging?
Since when do you need a $3,000 PC to play Fallout and Wolfenstein? 😁

But the best combination is to have a Playstation and a PC in terms of games library and performance. I'll be getting an RTX 3080 next year, and I'll get Zenimax on PC if they are any good. Overall thoughFallout 76 was a disaster, and the last Wolfenstein game was woke nonsense which ruined the series. It's only Doom and Starfield that hold any interest to me, but both are years away.

fallingdove

And lets be clear - you don't get people into the xbox ecosystem by releasing the games on the xbox's main competitor.

Zenimax games won't be on PS5. It's time people start accepting it.
Sure you do. Especially if you can only get the next Elder Scrolls by subscribing to GamePass on PlayStation.

The Xbox ecosystem is no longer limited to Xbox consoles.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

And all the predictions were correct no? SSD is not faster than XSX, first-party games - despite being cross gen like Valhalla and others - runs exactly as expected (with even 1440p60fps on Series S) with minor hiccups that will be fixed by patches (I mean Gears 5 runs very nice on Series S and X and have better looks than Valhalla, that certainly has some issues. And in time it will run even better. Everything is ok), and in not broken third-party games XSX shows good results even with issues with GDK (whether it is slightly better AA or draw distance). Not to mention Xbox is a better-looking console :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On the other hand, for PS5 fans won't have any excuses if PS5 underperforming in anything (2x as fast SSD, let's do it), because nothing indicates they have issues with SDK, nor they have additional consoles to work with. Whether they will need excuses remains to be seen, but all in all the gen has just started.
Im still waiting on RDNA 3 features to be announced in ps5.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sure you do. Especially if you can only get the next Elder Scrolls by subscribing to GamePass on PlayStation.

And there is zero chance of sony allowing game pass on Playstation consoles. I've said it many times that MS will consider any platform that they can get game pass on as their platform, but sony will not allow it.

Foilz

Banned
people need to really give up on this question. i wish MS would just tell everyone to STFU about it.

Javthusiast

Banned
As soon as the deal is done, this shit is locked onto the xbox/pc. Maybe after a year microsoft will throw sony a bone, but highly unlikely.

This whole wishy woshy pr speak right now of case by case basis is just that, pr.

Last edited:
You know, Xbox fans may want to chill with the unbacked confidence in their arguments. It might bite them in the ass like the 12>10 has.

Humdinger

My honest opinion is that if they were going to make them all exclusive they'd have indicated as much by now.

Legally, they cannot. They'd get themselves into legal trouble and jeopardize the deal, which isn't finalized yet.

Originally I was convinced they'd make them exclusive but it just doesn't seem like it anymore.

So my guess is day 1 Game Pass plus timed exclusivity, maybe exclusive features, DLC etc.

That's my guess, too, although a bit amplified -- a full year of exclusivity plus plenty of proprietary DLC, Day 1 free on GamePass. That's very attractive to anyone who is a big fan of, say, Elder Scrolls, and wants to play the game.

I also expect them to shroud the exclusivity in a fog of vague language, leading to a full year of uncertainty about whether the game is really coming to PS5/Switch and if so, when. That will work in their favor.

It's also possible that they'll make Bethesda games completely exclusive. That would be the way to go, if they wanted to get full exclusive mileage out of them.

And I'd guess they're going to try to push to have GP on PlayStation as part of all this.

I don't think Sony would allow that, because GP is a direct competitor to PS Now.

Last edited:
You know, Xbox fans may want to chill with the unbacked confidence in their arguments. It might bite them in the ass like the 12>10 has.

That bite in the ass is made to be much bigger than it is. This is literally the only place where it's been blown up to such big proportions.

I don't claim to know if the games will be exclusive or not, but I can certainly see where people would think that they won't be the Playstaion. There's logical reasoning behind it.

Those who confidently believe that they'll release on Playstation? While there might be some logical reason as to why that may happen, I certainly haven't heard it yet.

The fact MS had to make this acquisition just shows you how utterly utterly weak their original prep and proposal for series X was.

Sony must be rubbing their hands with glee and smelling the fear coming from the MS execs. Without this and other buy outs MS was completely relying on third party which also looks to run better on the PS5.

12Dannu123

The fact MS had to make this acquisition just shows you how utterly utterly weak their original prep and proposal for series X was.

Sony must be rubbing their hands with glee and smelling the fear coming from the MS execs. Without this and other buy outs MS was completely relying on third party which also looks to run better on the PS5.

Not really, this isn't about bolstering their console. It's about bolstering Game Pass. Sony should be more concerned about potentially being forced to get into a acquisition war with MS to have PS platform remain relevant in the future.

12Dannu123

Consoles, PC and Cloud is their ecosystem. Where does PS5 fit into the ecosystem? Until Sony allows Game Pass on PS5, then PS gamers will continue to get shafted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom