• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Wire - Everything You Need to Know about Xbox Series X and The Future of Xbox… So Far

So to summarise so far:

- MS is desperate because Sony event tomorrow
- Sony is desperate because controller shown day before Xbox event
- Jim Ryan got desperate and choked a donkey while fingering its butthole
- Spencer rooted the donkey before Jim so Sony is desperate

Obviously the last two is made up...OR IS IT !? But FFS guys, seriously, who cares who did what first.

MORE NEXT GEN NEWS, TEASERS, TRAILERS OR INTERVIEWS FROM SONY OR MS SHOULD BE CELEBRATED BY ALL.

Yet we still have posts like the above.

If we could take the time to put down our respective shields and swords and come together to celebrate and enjoy new gaming experiences from both, that'd be great.

SDF, you guys have gotta get your story straight. First page was half of you saying “old news” and half of you saying “released right before PS5 reveal, how desperate”. Either it’s old and they’re re-iterating what they’ve already said but summarised in a single article which means it isn’t desperate, or it’s new (hint: it’s the former). If simply re-iterating what is already known is enough to trigger you this much, I’d hate to see your reactions to the actual July showing. Don’t y’all have a conference in less than 24 hours to go circlejerk over?

I'm not convinced (unless the game won't be coming out any time soon), the engine is still in development with a preview version of it available in early 2021, with the full release at the end of 2021.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I'd like MS produce their own XSX tech deep-dive video before their July event, it's pretty exhausting seeing lies about the hardware being regurgitated endlessly. Just breeds inflammatory and dishonest discourse.

Last edited:

Ascend

Didn't they bump the one right before launch or am I making that up?
Yeah they did that, but one of the most likely reasons for doing that was that their console was lagging behind in specs. Considering Phil Spencer's reaction after the Road to PS5 event, he didn't seem concerned at all about the PS5. He said he felt 'even better about their own position' after the PS5 was revealed... So, I don't expect them do change anything regarding the Series X specs. They seem extremely comfortable to me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah they did that, but one of the most likely reasons for doing that was that their console was lagging behind in specs. Considering Phil Spencer's reaction after the Road to PS5 event, he didn't seem concerned at all about the PS5. He said he felt 'even better about their own position' after the PS5 was revealed... So, I don't expect them do change anything regarding the Series X specs. They seem extremely comfortable to me.

I concur. I was mostly curious if my brain was playing a trick on me.

But with such a large GPU. A small even 50mhz bump would go a long way. I could see it.

Three

Well if you look at it this tweet may of always been scheduled for this week because Sony’s event was pulled last min last week. Just Sony’s new event may of run inline with this tweet maybe
I don't think a fluff tweet saying nothing new other than Hellblade is using UE5 (which was again already said straight after the PS5 UE5 demo) needs to be 'scheduled'.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't think a fluff tweet saying nothing new other than Hellblade is using UE5 (which was again already said straight after the PS5 UE5 demo) needs to be 'scheduled'.
But you don’t know what they have planned or not so it’s all speculative as to when the timing of the tweet. Microsoft has said they have things planned all the way up to the release. That tweet may of been timed to be nearly a week after the PS5 reveal and the fact Sony cancelled it the tweet just came in line with it. Simple as that

Three

But you don’t know what they have planned or not so it’s all speculative as to when the timing of the tweet. Microsoft has said they have things planned all the way up to the release. That tweet may of been timed to be nearly a week after the PS5 reveal and the fact Sony cancelled it the tweet just came in line with it. Simple as that
Ok I guess if you want to look at it like that but I disagree you don't schedule when you want to talk fluff PR in a tweet especially when it's something so damn trivial and not newsworthy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ok I guess if you want to look at it like that but I disagree you don't schedule when you want to talk fluff PR in a tweet especially when it's something so damn trivial and not newsworthy.
with things like this tweets are scheduled weeks in advance and its only fluff if it aint aimed at you. I get get sent my business social media calendar weeks in advance of it coming out

At this point I feel like they just repeating power.

how many times can they say powaaa.

This also has to be the console with the most amount of marketing buzzwords.
12tf
Smart delivery
Most powerful console
Fastest console ever
Backpack Techniques
Velciraptor powered SSD
Backwards compatibility
120fps
Phil Spencer
Power
Hellblade2
VRR
Etc

will uncompressed perfect pixels make a return?

Last edited:
I think that repeating the mantra that the Series X is the most powerful console is necessary. A lot of people are very, very keen to downplay the power advantage, as if 'most powerful' is suddenly a negative.
By that argument, PS3 was most certainly more powerful than the X360. Yes, more power can definitely be a negative. Sony only won the power crown this gen by pure accident.

PS3 showed that what is important is the games showcasing the advantage. For most of its life PS3 had worse third party games, and it took ages for 1st party games to make beautiful PS3 titles. Power is there to serve the games, not the other way around. And historically power doesn't win console wars. (Cries in Neo-Geo)

soulbait

I'd like MS produce their own XSX tech deep-dive video before their July event, it's pretty exhausting seeing lies about the hardware being regurgitated endlessly. Just breeds inflammatory and dishonest discourse.

You think that would stop people from making crap up just to defend their console of choice? Both sides does it, and it is sad.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You must live in an alternate reality. Sony hasn't started the topic of fixed sustained performance, VRS, DLi and 4 generation compatibility.
The truth is the opposite of your statement.

Sustained performance is only a thing because of the variable clock frequency system offered by PS5. its yet another example of what I was saying about Xbox not offering any talking points if its own to lead with, just reactions to what Sony's marketing. Its weak because its constantly putting Sony's stuff in the conversation.

As to the rest, yet more buzzwords and an extension to the BC that while commendable has failed to make Xbox more competitive in terms of marketshare this gen.

Try again.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I know they are just doing their job but this feels a bit like a sign they blew their load very early with the marketing. They are just repeating themselves.

I know they are just doing their job but this feels a bit like a sign they blew their load very early with the marketing. They are just repeating themselves.

It's filler because they do not want to/not ready to show their games. Doing the Inside Xbox in May was a big mistake. They should have waited and just did it later in like June but with more and better 3rd party titles and then July for 1st party like they are now, but whatever.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Would be silly if their marketing team didn't have a calendar with when they wanted to release certain information. I think they deliberately did that yesterday because now it's fresh in everybody's mind, and it will be used to compare with Sony today.

Mr.ODST

This is one thing I worry about. I still hate the Xbox One UI, although it has gotten better over time. I really hope they have a near complete overhaul coming for the Series X.

It might improve, one day I am hoping we get a Halo 2 Clan system all over again, that stuff was revolutionary

NullZ3r0

Banned
Some of the comments here are typical. MS big reveal is in July and the following months. No loads were blown. This is standard PR on MS part to try and combat the hyperbole that will likely ensue from the PS event. MS is in the better position.

Their biggest misstep was the first games reveal not being first party titles and them not articulating how these next gen games will take advantage of the hardware. That Dirt 5 interview was great, but it should have been done during the full stream.

Other than that, I like that Phil and the team has been transparent. But sometimes you can be too transparent and show things that people don't care about.

pasterpl

That’s actually interesting that Microsoft didn’t show any demos of anything first party next gen, only some 3rd parties and most of the demos with DF were last gen games. i am assuming, that they have got something big ready but are keeping it hidden awaiting for Sony to show their cards.

Tbf MS have stumbled in their recent 'showing' portion.
They were doing great with their 'telling', the openess, the transparency, almost blog-like naivety.
I guess they needed to switch gears when it comes to showing, be a bit more sly and street-smart, dont show the plain janes.
They are young team, young do learn faster. :messenger_bicep:

I agree.

The series X SOC has independent component clocks (GPU vs CPU for example).

They have the ability to boost the clocks of each component but decided that the performance goals of the clocks they have were sufficient.

After today, they may or may not stick with that.

Any reasoning on why anything today would influence them to change clocks? IIRC Sony's stuff is more or less locked in place spec-wise; granted Road to PS5 was in mid-March and I guess they could have stealthily clocked the CPU up a bit in the meantime.

GPU? Strongly doubt any changes there in terms of upclocks. The current clock is already the limit they can go to ensure chip logic functions properly.

Personally I think if anything what happens today will maybe (hopefully) get them to release a teaser gameplay trailer for the July show maybe sometime on Friday and/or next week. They have other times/events for hardware-related things (Hot Chips presentation in August, possible XvA presser/post later this month, etc.).

Thirty7ven

Banned
Would be silly if their marketing team didn't have a calendar with when they wanted to release certain information. I think they deliberately did that yesterday because now it's fresh in everybody's mind, and it will be used to compare with Sony today.

It’s just that nothing new is being said. They are just repeating themselves.

If the strategy had worked as intended I don’t think they would need to say something every time Sony says it, but more importantly, they wouldn’t already be repeating themselves.

Top Bottom