• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Will Reportedly Hold An Event Related To Bethesda Next Month

MonarchJT

Banned
None but Steam users aren’t using Gamepass to play their fav games on PC either.

Easily? lol
But fair enough it’ll be harder on PS so I can accept that argument.

I’m mostly thinking that we wouldn’t have heard any comment about first and best on Xbox if they had no plans to release the games elsewhere. What were they referring to with those comments in that case?
so who are those millions of pc gamepass users?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This thread is full of gold content. People are so sure of the direction MS is gonna take (appears even personal). Massive set ups on a betting game.
Exactly. That's what I've been saying all along: no one knows except MS, so it could go either way. But no, I'm a fanboy for thinking that there is a teeny tiny possibility that MS may opt for higher short-term revenues, especially after their CFO has literally said, "What we'll do in the long run is we don't have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise. But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as -- on our platforms."

MonarchJT

Banned
Exactly. That's what I've been saying all along: no one knows except MS, so it could go either way. But no, I'm a fanboy for thinking that there is a teeny tiny possibility that MS may opt for higher short-term revenues, especially after their CFO has literally said, "What we'll do in the long run is we don't have intentions of just pulling all of Bethesda content out of Sony or Nintendo or otherwise. But what we want is we want that content, in the long run, to be either first or better or best or pick your differentiated experience, on our platforms. We will want Bethesda content to show up the best as -- on our platforms."
yeah we have Phil Spencer vs a cfo
Those pre-acquisition statements mean nothing. We will wait for the event to understand how things will evolve. However it seems to me that this generation has faction of users always prefer to believe in the "unspoken" in the "hidden features" "only them know!" and this not only from a software point of view. the same is happening with hw. I don't know what you want to expect from a console and video game producer just by acquiring a publisher. Things are much simpler than you think. Ms wanted more gamepass games and more exclusives. period. LOL but let's wait

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
yeah we have Phil Spencer vs a cfo
Those pre-acquisition statements mean nothing. we wait for levers but to see how things evolve
Phil also hasn't said that these games will be exclusives, not yet.

Second, those statements were not completely useless. Otherwise, they would have simply said 'no comments'. They didn't have to answer, but they did. And these statements still carry more value than "insider leaks" or "comments by random people with no knowledge" (like us).

MonarchJT

Banned

Second, those statements were not completely useless. Otherwise, they would have simply said 'no comments'. They didn't have to answer, but they did. And these statements still carry more value than "insider leaks" or "comments by random people with no knowledge" (like us).
they couldn't say it. is against the law. but him made very clearly understand that would not care if it would mean that (to be exclusive) and that they don't need playstation sales at all.
and again their statements are in line.. Some games will end on playstation . You mean ES fallout and all the big one. instead i think that they are just talking about mmo's and second tier. Surely not platform defying games

Last edited:

Pallas

It will be interesting to see how this goes, personally and this is just my opinion, I think these games will stay on Xbox/PC unless there was already a deal made before the acquisition(Deathloop, Ghostwire)

but I could also definitely see Bethesda(or should I say Zenimax?) publishing a 3rd party game that isn’t apart of Microsoft and that could be multi platform outside of Xbox/PC. Like Microsoft did with Cuphead and Ori, since they will be another publishing arm juxtaposed to Xbox Studios.

If that makes sense, lol.

I keep seeing this a lot in this thread about who said what, I wouldn’t take anything they said seriously until the deal gets finalized.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It will be interesting to see how this goes, personally and this is just my opinion, I think these games will stay on Xbox/PC unless there was already a deal made before the acquisition(Deathloop, Ghostwire)

but I could also definitely see Bethesda(or should I say Zenimax?) publishing a 3rd party game that isn’t apart of Microsoft and that could be multi platform outside of Xbox/PC. Like Microsoft did with Cuphead and Ori, since they will be another publishing arm juxtaposed to Xbox Studios.

If that makes sense, lol.
It does, and I think that Indiana Jones game will be the first big example of that.

Mmnow

This discussion is going to keep going on until we get a firm answer, but there's a couple of things I want to throw in the mix.

The first is, "they wouldn't miss out on this profit!" and "They have to make that money back somehow!" are both fundamentally wrong about why big businesses make these purchases. Bethesda isn't a cost, like you'd buy a kitchen appliance. It's a live, active business, which will bring in its own profits and have its own outgoings, and its own valuation (as well as adding to Microsoft and Xbox's own valuations).

Add to the fact that a Microsoft investment - especially right now - is about beating interest rates on its massive bank balance, and Bethesda doesn't need to make very much for the purchase to make sense.

If the company never released another game, but managed to make more than about £180m a year from its back catalogue, Microsoft and its stockholders would probably be very happy with their investment. That's not going to happen, obviously. We already know there are unannounced or pre-production projects on the go.

Bethesda doesn't have to "work" for Microsoft in order to be a decent buy. It's basically a decent buy by default. That's the benefit of having $140b in cash lying around.

Secondly, a few other people have mentioned contracts, and that's absolutely true. I can see this being the major reason we end up with Bethesda games on PlayStation.

We've already seen Bethesda are working on Xbox exclusive releases. As far as I know, the Wolfenstein, Prey and Dishonored collections still don't have a PS5 rating, but are coming to Xbox Series X. In theory, they're thrown together collections with minor updates that'll be available on Gamepass anyway, and not necessarily the kind of five, six or seven year project that Bethesda usually undertakes, so it may be that their exclusivity is misleading.

But it might not.

Starfield has been on its way for a long time. We know Sony wanted some sort of exclusivity.

My point is, whatever happens, we're not going to be at the norm when it comes to Bethesda for probably the bulk of this generation. There's going to be a transition period, and regardless of what happens with Starfield (or Fallout, or The Elder Scrolls, or Doom...) everything might change in seven years. Contracts will have been signed. Ideas will have been fleshed out. Microsoft might like the idea of releasing on PlayStation today, but hate it tomorrow.

This will be a fluid few years for everybody involved, let alone the fans. I reckon everything bar those two PS5 games will be exclusive, but there are so many reasons why that might be wrong that we'll never even know.

Last edited:

martino

This discussion is going to keep going on until we get a firm answer, but there's a couple of things I want to throw in the mix.

The first is, "they wouldn't miss out on this profit!" and "They have to make that money back somehow!" are both fundamentally wrong about why big businesses make these purchases. Bethesda isn't a cost, like you'd buy a kitchen appliance. It's a live, active business, which will bring in its own profits and have its own outgoings, and its own valuation (as well as adding to Microsoft and Xbox's own valuations).

Add to the fact that a Microsoft investment - especially right now - is about beating interest rates on its massive bank balance, and Bethesda doesn't need to make very much for the purchase to make sense.

If the company never released another game, but managed to make more than about £180m a year from its back catalogue, Microsoft and its stockholders would probably be very happy with their investment. That's not going to happen, obviously. We already know there are unannounced or pre-production projects on the go.

Bethesda doesn't have to "work" for Microsoft in order to be a decent buy. It's basically a decent buy by default. That's the benefit of having $140b in cash lying around.

Secondly, a few other people have mentioned contracts, and that's absolutely true. I can see this being the major reason we end up with Bethesda games on PlayStation.

We've already seen Bethesda are working on Xbox exclusive releases. As far as I know, the Wolfenstein, Prey and Dishonored collections still don't have a PS5 rating, but are coming to Xbox Series X. In theory, they're thrown together collections with minor updates that'll be available on Gamepass anyway, and not necessarily the kind of five, six or seven year project that Bethesda usually undertakes, so it may be that their exclusivity is misleading.

But it might not.

Starfield has been on its way for a long time. We know Sony wanted some sort of exclusivity.

My point is, whatever happens, we're not going to be at the norm when it comes to Bethesda for probably the bulk of this generation. There's going to be a transition period, and regardless of what happens with Starfield (or Fallout, or The Elder Scrolls, or Doom...) everything might change in seven years. Contracts will have been signed. Ideas will have been fleshed out. Microsoft might like the idea of releasing on PlayStation today, but hate it tomorrow.

This will be a fluid few years for everybody involved, let alone the fans. I reckon everything bar those two PS5 games will be exclusive, but there are so many reasons why that might be wrong that we'll never even know.
you know this is not how this will happen....the first game released the side pleased with the context will generalized it and call it a win.

As a gamer I would much prefer that everyone regardless of platform gets to play all games. But this isn't how the gaming biz works on the whole. Sony and Nintendo have effectively weaponized exclusives to expand their console bases. It's pretty evident that as MS continues to acquire and build more in-house studios they're going to be jumping into that game with both feet. I suspect we'll see a mixture of exclusive, timed exclusive and perhaps even a multiplat or two thrown into the mix over the next few years, but I would bet the latter may be largely dependent upon Sony and/or Nintendo allowing Gamepass on their platforms as a way for their player bases to access those games.

If a PS5 owner wants to play ESVI, they'll have the option of buying an Xbox, building/upgrading their PC, or...perhaps...playing it via Gamepass on PS5. Win, win.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned

If Sony purchased them instead, there would be NO QUESTION whether or not the games would be exclusive. Sony wouldn't even allow Spiderman to show up in any games on other platforms. Yet, there are some people questioning whether this acquisition is any different from Ninja Theory or Playground Games.

If MS wanted timed exclusives, it would have cost them far less than $7.5 billion.

DrAspirino

Banned
Thats the Office team not Xbox.
Correct, but the point is that Microsoft is first and foremost a software (and now services) company, and as such, they only care about the profit they can make from their subscriptions and software sales. They couldn't care less if someone wants to play to xCloud games on a switch (for example) as long as that customer pays them the Gamepass subscription.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
We all know. If it doesn't sell GamePass subscriptions, Microsoft won't do it. If GamePass is coming to Playstation, these games will be on there. If not, you'll never see them on Playstation.

Interfectum

This thread feels like a lot of hopes and dreams from the Sony fan club. If you like Bethesda games, invest in a gaming PC, Xbox or a 5G connection.

Bottomline, MS didn't spend $7.5 billion for some timed exclusives... they spent it to be a dominate force in subscription gaming. It doesn't matter what the CFO said or Phil said pre-purchase, the path they are carving is clear. Some ports on Steam and Switch don't change that as those platforms allow for Xbox Live connectivity and for the possibility of conversion. There is zero path to Xbox or Game Pass conversion by releasing games on PS5. Outside of online games like Fallout 76 and contact fulfillment obligations, it's not happening.

The only reason for changing course would be some internal struggle at MS but considering Phil is near the top I don't see why his vision would be compromised at this point.

Last edited:

Mmnow

Yet they have Office for Mac ;)
In the PC Space, Microsoft is ubiquitous. Office is used by - from memory - some fifty times as much as the nearest competition. I'm not sure it'd look good in a legal situation like they've been in before if they lock down their program to a single OS.

But also, Office is a service, and a vital day-to-day service for many people. Microsoft benefits from making it available everywhere, because when a new business needs a word processor and spreadsheet program, they go to Office by default. It's the same reason it wouldn't make sense to lock down Photoshop.

Xbox isn't nearly a monopoly and probably won't ever be. I don't think there could be such a thing in the console space. There's also not much sense from luring people into your ecosystem by putting your titles onto another ecosystem.

THEAP99

Banned
Many Betheseda games did not do well as it was while even being on all 3 platforms.. So only making them on Xbox/PC for a lot of the games are going to leave a lot of copies sold on the table but gamepass will possibly cover those losses.. we will see

Interfectum

Many Betheseda games did not do well as it was while even being on all 3 platforms.. So only making them on Xbox/PC for a lot of the games are going to leave a lot of copies sold on the table but gamepass will possibly cover those losses.. we will see
MS doesn't care about selling copies of games, they care about Game Pass subscriptions. The only way to keep subscriptions going will be to flood it with continuous exclusive content. Some games will bomb, others will not, all will add value to the user's subscription.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
MS doesn't care about selling copies of games, they care about Game Pass subscriptions. The only way to keep subscriptions going will be to flood it with continuous exclusive content. Some games will bomb, others will not, all will add value to the user's subscription.
Microsoft cares about money and as far as I am concerned, money also comes from copies sold. If they only care about gamepass subscriptions then they should mind as well not even bother releasing games on disc or individually.

Andodalf

Banned
Yet they have Office for Mac ;)

And the Office 365 subscription service is glad to be on Mac, especially if that means it can be on Ipad and Iphone too.

It's almost as if MS is in the business of selling subscriptions and will support platforms that allow that? So expect their games anywhere they sell subs. Now which console has an XGP Sub option?

Interfectum

Microsoft cares about money and as far as I am concerned, money also comes from copies sold. If they only care about gamepass subscriptions then they should mind as well not even bother releasing games on disc or individually.
They care about money for sure... they'll care about making billions a month off of a Game Pass subscription while not having to care how these games do at retail. As long as they maintain the subs, they'll be happy.

Andodalf

Banned

Yeah this is why Halo has been multiplat for years, gotta sell more copies! You close to finishing that LASO run on PS5 yet?

How far have you gotten in Horde mode on PS5? MS sure did want to sell more copies of gears!

Crazy how MS put Forza Horizon out on PS5, what a great game that they wanted to sell more copies of!

RGB'D

Reasons for releasing on Playstation:
-There's only one logical argument for Microsoft releasing Zenimax properties on Playstation: they would be missing out on revenue because of playstations install base. Microsoft doesn't NEED this money at all, even with acquisition cost, but they could want it.

Reasons against releasing on Playstation:
-Build Xbox brand strength (Doubles the recognizable IP that is exclusive to Xbox ecosystem)
-Drives users to gamepass. Having a stable of established and brand new IP that are only available in your ecosystem offers consumers a couple choices: either pay full MSRP or pick up a monthly subscription.
-Forces users to consume in the Xbox ecosystem. This gives users the ability to consume in various ways (console, PC, mobile) but maintains them as Xbox clients. This increases their likelihood of subscriptions which Microsoft is emphasizing across all their brands (e.g. Microsoft office is primarily a subscription now)
- Increase console adoption. Even if gamepass is their ultimate goal, it doesn't make hardware sales moot. It offers a more compelling reason to also buy a Xbox console for playstation users and gives single console buyers in the general public a harder decision when choosing between Xbox and playstation.

They could go either way, or a hybrid approach but the more compelling argument to me is definitely in favor of exclusivity. Focusing solely on the acquisition cost really is shortsighted as the upfront cost is made with the future in mind, not just the immediate finances. It is why console manufacturers sell at a loss with the goal of eventually breaking even or minimizing the loss as hardware becomes cheaper to produce (they also tend to lower the MSRP as well when that happens).

TLDR: it takes money to make money, sometimes 7.5 billion

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yeah this is why Halo has been multiplat for years, gotta sell more copies! You close to finishing that LASO run on PS5 yet?

How far have you gotten in Horde mode on PS5? MS sure did want to sell more copies of gears!

Crazy how MS put Forza Horizon out on PS5, what a great game that they wanted to sell more copies of!
Why would they put games synonymous with their platform on PS5? Those games were developed to be on Xbox. It’s “mascot” status. Does your series x packaging have pictures fallout boy or elves on it?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Sony gaf if elder scrolls 6 skips playstation

_98576220_gettyimages-621811656.jpg

Xbox gaf if elder scrolls 6 is also on playstation

tenor.gif

Dlacy13g

Correct, but the point is that Microsoft is first and foremost a software (and now services) company, and as such, they only care about the profit they can make from their subscriptions and software sales. They couldn't care less if someone wants to play to xCloud games on a switch (for example) as long as that customer pays them the Gamepass subscription.
This is why it makes the most sense for them to push the Gamepass narrative. I have no doubts there will be games that come to a Playstation early on... but all their games will come to gamepass.

Platform is still > all.
That's why Azure is a platform and not only Software or a Service.

If you're only a Software and Service company,, you're at the mercy of platform holder or regulators. You don't want that.

Interfectum

I mean, I can see the Sony fan argument that MS spent $7.5 billion to get games on Xbox that would have already come to Xbox AND they plan to announce a ton of goodies that are coming to PS5 next month to help continue Sony's momentum. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Phil Harrison would be proud if that comes to pass.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This thread feels like a lot of hopes and dreams from the Sony fan club. If you like Bethesda games, invest in a gaming PC, Xbox or a 5G connection.

Bottomline, MS didn't spend $7.5 billion for some timed exclusives... they spent it to be a dominate force in subscription gaming. It doesn't matter what the CFO said or Phil said pre-purchase, the path they are carving is clear. Some ports on Steam and Switch don't change that as those platforms allow for Xbox Live connectivity and for the possibility of conversion. There is zero path to Xbox or Game Pass conversion by releasing games on PS5. Outside of online games like Fallout 76 and contact fulfillment obligations, it's not happening.

The only reason for changing course would be some internal struggle at MS but considering Phil is near the top I don't see why his vision would be compromised at this point.
To me, MS CFO's and Phil's quotes hold much more value than guesses by random gamers.

And dreams from Sony's fan club? Not sure about others, but I will play Bethesda games on Xbox even if they are available on PlayStation. Why would I pay extra to purchase them on PlayStation when I can play them free on Gamepass day one? Besides, I totally expect better optimizations and/or exclusive DLC/content on Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We all know. If it doesn't sell GamePass subscriptions, Microsoft won't do it. If GamePass is coming to Playstation, these games will be on there. If not, you'll never see them on Playstation.
I wish Gamepass comes to PlayStation, but that seems like a distant possibility. But that'd be a significant step for MS towards being totally console agnostic -- achieving Nirvana lol.

Interfectum

I wish Gamepass comes to PlayStation, but that seems like a distant possibility. But that'd be a significant step for MS towards being totally console agnostic -- achieving Nirvana lol.
Sony would never allow that to happen. It would massively upset their ecosystem with very little gain.

Last edited:

Fredrik

so who are those millions of pc gamepass users?
I don’t know, in theory I guess they could sell a Gamepass sub to anyone with a PC but it has nothing to do with the games they’re selling on Steam. Steam is it’s own thing, Microsoft are selling games there and Valve are taking their % cut from the sale just as they do when Sony or anybody else are selling their games there. It’s not far from a competing platform.

Interfectum

To me, MS CFO's and Phil's quotes hold much more value than guesses by random gamers.

And dreams from Sony's fan club? Not sure about others, but I will play Bethesda games on Xbox even if they are available on PlayStation. Why would I pay extra to purchase them on PlayStation when I can play them free on Gamepass day one? Besides, I totally expect better optimizations and/or exclusive DLC/content on Xbox.
I don't think it's their quotes vs 'random gamers' mainly because their quotes leave them a ton of outs and are near meaningless. There are just as many 'random gamers' thinking these quotes mean PS ports are coming for sure as well.

Nothing about Xbox's current trajectory would place them in a position where they release these games on PS5. It actually hurts their momentum and makes the Bethesda purchase wasteful and near meaningless. Could they do it? Sure, MS is prone to doing stupid shit. But I'm banking on a pretty big reveal that signifies to the world you gotta by an Xbox (or PC) to get these new 'awesome' games. They are not going to announce amazing new titles coming to PS5 next month to celebrate the Bethesda purchase. That would be incredibly dumb.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony would never allow that to happen. It would massively upset their ecosystem with very little gain.
True. If there were a Gamepass version of just MS's first-party exclusives (and no third-party games), I could see it happening. But with third-party games, that will likely never happen.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think it's their quotes vs 'random gamers' mainly because their quotes leave them a ton of outs and are near meaningless. There are just as many 'random gamers' thinking these quotes mean PS ports are coming for sure as well.

Nothing about Xbox's current trajectory would place them in a position where they release these games on PS5. It actually hurts their momentum and makes the Bethesda purchase wasteful and near meaningless. Could they do it? Sure, MS is prone to doing stupid shit. But I'm banking on a pretty big reveal that signifies to the world you gotta by an Xbox (or PC) to get these new 'awesome' games. They are not going to announce amazing new titles coming to PS5 next month to celebrate the Bethesda purchase. That would be incredibly dumb.
And that's equally stupid, my friend. No one knows.

My entire point in this discussion has always been this: we don't know for sure, and I think MS also hasn't fully decided yet. It could go either way, unless there is some definite news (which I don't think is coming very soon).

Interfectum

And that's equally stupid, my friend. No one knows.

My entire point in this discussion has always been this: we don't know for sure, and I think MS also hasn't fully decided yet. It could go either way, unless there is some definite news (which I don't think is coming very soon).
You are right, we don't know for sure but I just don't see a scenario where MS gladly spends billions to announce more PS5 games. It really puts them in a bad position going forward. They are doing all of this to become a subscription platform not to become a third party publisher like EA. I would be shocked if the heavy hitters come to PS5 at all but again, you are right, anything can happen and MS has made some dumb decisions before (doubling Gold anyone?).

It's not like they're adding indepedent developers to Xbox Game Studios. This is an entire publishing arm. It's uncharted territory.

I think we'll see multiplats from them

If Sony aquired Capcom or Square Enix i'd expect them same thing from them too. They'd be indepedent bodies seperate to WWS and how that would play out in terms of exclusivity is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
is the same price that sony choose to pay for not realizing spiderman on other console and not on pc. millions of possible sales left on the table to make your platform enviable over the others which generates a figure chosen by the user to prefer your platform over another one. It will be even easier for Microsoft to do this because it is an enormously more stable company than Sony from an economic standpoint.
To be fair, that decision was made by Marvel because of the mediocre output from Activison and them viewing Sony’s AAA output. If Microsoft was going hard in the paint like they were during the 360 era I’m sure the same deal would’ve been offered to them.

NickFire

I could see it being a mix. TES6 probably being multi-platform, Fallout potentially becoming Xbox/PC exclusive moving forward.
I think a mix is the most logical outcome if everyone boxes out subjective desires from a consumer standpoint. There is absolutely merit to arguments about the potential benefits of gp exclusives. But conversely, the notion that they would spend 7.5 billion and not try maximizing their return even if market share remains stagnant, seems like overly wishful thinking to me. A huge difference between video streaming and game subscriptions is the potential audience reach. Video streamers by and large can reach anyone on earth as long as they have a smartphone (pad, tv, console, etc.). So going purely exclusive does not artificially cap profit or roi. But for games that cost a hundred million, if not hundreds of millions to develop and market, there is a huge albatross on their profitability if you completely ignore 2/3 of the non-Nintendo consoles in the wild.

Top Bottom