• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Will Reportedly Hold An Event Related To Bethesda Next Month

I'm hearing Microsoft will never allow Xbox to lose money since the first console came out. Xbox is still here and has spent more in the last 12 months than its competitors in 10 years. It doesn't matter if a game was selling more on the platform with more users (Sony) with 7.5b Microsoft bought above all the possibility of making but privileging its ecosystem. The investment is Xbox in the long run, not the game itself. When people he will stop thinking of big companies like Amazon Google or Microsoft as if they were the local shop they will understand that certain positions are more important than others in the long run. Gosh...Google announces and closes billionaire projects every 6 months !!! without batting an eye! 7.5b are nothing if they serve to make the brand stronger. And we know full well that the exclusivity of all Bethesda games would. You think Phil doesn't know ?
In Phil we trust.

dcmk7

Banned
Sony will be fine with or without Bethesda games, let's be honest.

If Bethesda games became Xbox exclusives it would create quite a gap for their audience. I'm sure a PlayStation studio could step up and fill it such as a TES or Fallout style game for example, one without as many bugs.

But I think the existing franchises will continue to release on PlayStation. The new franchises such as Starfield, it doesn't make sense to release on PlayStation at all.

Caffeine

Come oooooooon Evil Within 3!

the-evil-within-gif-1.gif
be still my heart this would make me jump out of my chair.

mortal

Gold Member
No fucking way. All games are going to be Xbox exclusive. Maybe they will release for other platforms a year or two later, but there's no way the games are going to be multiplat from launch. Microsoft won't even announced if they are planning to release it on other consoles b cause it would hurt xbox sales. Just like Sony is doing with their games releasing them for pc.
To be fair I never said that. I even stated I could see them being timed console exclusives for a year or two in my follow up posts.
Which again, makes the most sense to me.

FrankWza

You're a true master of the shifting goal post. I bow my head to this artistry.
Isn’t what I said exactly what happened though. The only comparison that makes sense with his example is Lucifer or cobra Kai is to Netflix as any current zeni game is to Microsoft. Halo would be stranger things.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I want Xbox brand to succeed, evolve and expand, so I have no problem with whatever business decision they decide to make to achieve that.
No, what needs to be done by them is to make them exclusive to Xbox and PC ecosystem. Imagine spending $7 billion on a company with so many games to use on just to make it still the same. They need to be aggressive with their approach.

Perrott

Gold Member
Hopefully they'll unveil some more Starfield footage, considering that screenshots from the game have already leaked in the past 6 months. Can't wait for God Howard's next masterpiece!

We will see, many in the industry think this. So let’s see if the other rumors are to be true. All Bethesda games are going to be exclusive to Xbox and PC.
I think that's the more likely scenario, or possibly titles may come to PlayStation a year later but that's a long shot. Switch is more likely to be supported though with select titles.

Derktron

Banned
I think that's the more likely scenario, or possibly titles may come to PlayStation a year later but that's a long shot. Switch is more likely to be supported though with select titles.
Unfortunately, it will happen but I think that if Microsoft proceeds to do what many think is going to happen. It will fully hurt their brand image in the long run just like the 2013 disaster of the Xbox One reveal. You have to think about the negatives first especially when Microsoft has its major downfall with Xbox One back in 2013. Phil fixed so much for their image but they also hurt it along the way more with the lack of games being absent for almost a generation. Yeah, they got some new games during that time but it was enough to push to show the gaming world that they give a fuck about their image. You might argue that yes they are and I agree to some extent but how much will they go? -- So with Bethedia being part of Microsoft it will be again a make it or break it for Xbox. But here am I jumping to conclusions. Right?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
“No hardware platform exclusivity because Gamepass can be used on multiple platforms.”

To be fair I never said that. I even stated I could see them being timed console exclusives for a year or two in my follow up posts.
Which again, makes the most sense to me.
It does, but I expect it to be at least two full years after launch and without announcing it first. I don't know why but it made me remember when Capcom announced RE4 was going to come out on PS2 too just before launch on Gamecube. What a dickhead move by Capcom lol.

Allandor

Expecting Skyrim ReRemastered :D
I really hope they will do something with the id tech engine. But, well... it is no longer what it used to be like q2&3 engine. They totally lost the market against Unreal engine.

magnumpy

elder scrolls has always been a PC game and that's where I will play ES6 anyway. nothing changes for me. stop trying to trick me microsoft it just won't work

Those franchises started out as first party exclusives, you won't see anyone complaining about that.
Yeah, but that wasn’t my point. People are going to complain, no matter what. The decision from a purely financial standpoint remains the same - would they make more money releasing their titles on other systems? Yes, undoubtedly. In the short term. But they don’t. Because they aren’t thinking short term.

Spider-Man has never been exclusive to PS until 2018 I don’t think? Funny the same people didn’t think that was a problem - in fact, they seemed quite chirpy about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It can be downplayed as much as possible, but the fact that people are still desperately trying to claim Microsoft need to release their games on PlayStation suggests that there is some actual concern out there about what happens if they don’t. And I don’t mean the fake concern about MicroSoft’s bottom line...

FrankWza

Isn’t what I said exactly what happened though. The only comparison that makes sense with his example is Lucifer or cobra Kai is to Netflix as any current zeni game is to Microsoft. Halo would be stranger things.
Netflix bought the rights to Cobra Kai , it wasn’t cancelled and now all 3 series are exclusive to netflix
And? It’s still not something like stranger things. It’s still “hired gun” content because there is a need. And Netflix isn’t always a great comparison as well because they can be made available on Blu ray. I was replying to the difference in content and the association with consoles. I don’t doubt it’s going exclusively to Xbox but it’s not a halo or forza. After the failure to price hike gold they’ve left themselves in a position where they have to make these games exclusives. Just to regain some goodwill. Once they’ve made them exclusives they can apply the price hike to gp or gpu and get that money back from the price hike. The price hike looms large over their business and the industry right now. That money was earmarked for something.

But they won't be because they'll be on PC. My PC is already crushing the XsX which was DOA on release.
So you’re saying rather than choose to release on PC as well, they should just release on Xbox - because that would end cheap shots like this? Interesting take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don’t get PC fanboys on this one - you should be annoyed with Sony surely, not Microsoft?

FrankWza

The decision from a purely financial standpoint remains the same - would they make more money releasing their titles on other systems? Yes, undoubtedly. In the short term. But they don’t. Because they aren’t thinking short term.
Depends on how they’re planning to replace the money they lost by not being able to double gold prices because of the backlash. This deal going exclusively to Xbox ecosystem is probably going to need to replace that money. It has to come from somewhere and it’s an opportunity to raise prices elsewhere.
Spider-Man has never been exclusive to PS until 2018 I don’t think? Funny the same people didn’t think that was a problem - in fact, they seemed quite chirpy about it
Activision Spider-Man and insomniac Spider-Man are not the same. Spider-Man is an IP created as a comic book that had appeared in many cartoons and movies over 40 years. Fallout, es, evil within...all games created as games. Spider-Man is pretty unique in its licensing and is not a good comparison. The same as first party IPs developed for their consoles like Mario bros, Uncharted, halo...

NullZ3r0

Banned
For fuck's sake, why is this idea still alive? Microsoft didn't spend $7.5 billion for timed exclusives.

People need to come to terms with the fact that there will be multiple AAA titles coming out this Gen that won't be on PlayStation.

I can't wait to see the rage that will eventually turn into port-begging when these games are announced.

This just perplexes me. I guess PS fans have high-end PCs that can only play Halo, Forza and Gears.

Shmunter

Big question is, when the smokescreen fades, what exclusive games is Microsoft on top off that they wouldn’t have gotten anyway through such a deal?

Fredrik

If Bethesda games became Xbox exclusives it would create quite a gap for their audience. I'm sure a PlayStation studio could step up and fill it such as a TES or Fallout style game for example, one without as many bugs.
Yeah right and Rare will step up and fill the spot for a TLOU and Uncharted game on Xbox
😂

The Elder Scrolls is Bethesda’s lifework, it’s incredibly naive to think that anyone can just decide to put together something similar that in any way can compete. Obsidian is probably the one that could do best, another MS studio, but even with a bigger wallet I doubt that even they can touch TES. I guess we’ll see what they can do in Avowed.

FrankWza

I did, i did . And why someone should care if the IP's before was multiplas? there's a law that prohibits old franchises published on multiple platforms from becoming exclusive? I do not believe. So I repeat: and?
And they’ll never be their original IPs. They can make them exclusives, But they will never be original IPs to their ecosystem. That will be up to new IPs they develop. Halo will, forza will, but fallout or es won’t. They’re hired guns. That’s why the Spider-Man IP comparison doesn’t work. Because activision Spider-Man isn’t insomniac Spider-Man. Or, when the “why isn’t halo on PS5 or why isn’t uncharted on Xbox?”comes up. It’s an awful comparison.
Doesn’t mean they can’t make them exclusives, but that’s the difference.

Assuming Starfield comes out first, Bethesda isn't going to release two big games close together.

So whenever Starfield comes out, ES6 is probably +3 years to it.
Yeah this is obvious. Back at that E3 when they announced both of them I said that you won't be getting Starfield until 2022-2023 at the earliest and then ES6 you'll likely not get until 2026 or later.

MonarchJT

Banned
And they’ll never be their original IPs. They can make them exclusives, But they will never be original IPs to their ecosystem. That will be up to new IPs they develop. Halo will, forza will, but fallout or es won’t. They’re hired guns. That’s why the Spider-Man IP comparison doesn’t work. Because activision Spider-Man isn’t insomniac Spider-Man. Or, when the “why isn’t halo on PS5 or why isn’t uncharted on Xbox?”comes up. It’s an awful comparison.
Doesn’t mean they can’t make them exclusives, but that’s the difference.
there are hundreds of thousands of new kids approaching their "first console" in the next few years and the vast majority will not have grown up with the idea of games from Bethesda being multiplats. As I mentioned the idea that someone can be so "hardcore" that can make this becomes a problem is just nonsense . Once upon a time Doom was only on PC !!! Psygnosis was before being bought by sony multiplats pubblisher!! etc etc etc and? who fuckin care? . This argument makes water on all sides. They hired the guns ....and?

Last edited:
I'm guessing most in this thread didn't grow up with the money hungry, blood thirsty, by-any-means-necessary monopolistic Microsoft that I did.

Anyone who doesn't think that's still in their DNA is sadly mistaken. At the end of the day it's all about making the most money for the shareholders possible. Microsoft is not a charity.

Therefore they will act accordingly and make all Bethesada games Microsoft Exclusive and "news for other consoles will follow" (read: NEVER)

Last edited:

FrankWza

there are hundreds of thousands of new kids approaching their "first console" in the next few years and the vast majority will not have grown up with the idea of games from Bethesda being multiplats. As I mentioned the idea that someone can be so "hardcore" that can make this becomes a problem is just nonsense . Once upon a time Doom was only on PC !!! Psygnosis was before being bought by sony multiplats pubblisher!! etc etc etc and? who fuckin care? . This argument makes water on all sides. They hired the guns ....and?
I think you might have to go back and read because you’re not making sense. You’re talking about something completely different than what I replied to.

MonarchJT

Banned
I think you might have to go back and read because you’re not making sense. You’re talking about something completely different than what I replied to.
again i did. And as the other user said you don't see netflix original show on other platform ....and you replied ... they are not original ms because they were multiplatform games. Well this happened yesterday, because today they are owned by Microsoft and the idea that a title that was born multiplatform must remain so in the future makes water from all sides. all sides I repeat . I see no problem seeing the elder scroll as an exclusive

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And? It’s still not something like stranger things. It’s still “hired gun” content because there is a need. And Netflix isn’t always a great comparison as well because they can be made available on Blu ray. I was replying to the difference in content and the association with consoles. I don’t doubt it’s going exclusively to Xbox but it’s not a halo or forza. After the failure to price hike gold they’ve left themselves in a position where they have to make these games exclusives. Just to regain some goodwill. Once they’ve made them exclusives they can apply the price hike to gp or gpu and get that money back from the price hike. The price hike looms large over their business and the industry right now. That money was earmarked for something.

It’s been the most watched series on netflix when it launched, like usual if somerbody posts a point you dont agree with you move the goalposts

Umbasaborne

Banned
For fuck's sake, why is this idea still alive? Microsoft didn't spend $7.5 billion for timed exclusives.

People need to come to terms with the fact that there will be multiple AAA titles coming out this Gen that won't be on PlayStation.

I can't wait to see the rage that will eventually turn into port-begging when these games are announced.

This just perplexes me. I guess PS fans have high-end PCs that can only play Halo, Forza and Gears.
I get the frustration. If i only had xbox and sony bought capcom and made resident evil exclusive id be annoyed. At some point though you just need to accept that this is the way things are now though

Fredrik

I'm guessing most in this thread didn't grow up with the money hungry, blood thirsty, by-any-means-necessary monopolistic Microsoft that I did.

Anyone who doesn't think that's still in their DNA is sadly mistaken. At the end of the day it's all about making the most money for the shareholders possible. Microsoft is not a charity.

Therefore they will act accordingly and make all Bethesada games Microsoft Exclusive and "news for other consoles will follow" (read: NEVER)
Won’t they make more money for the shareholders if they release the games on more platforms?

Top Bottom