• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Unit Sales Down YOY - Only 36 Million Xbox's Sold

xStoyax

Banned
Source: Balance of Power JPR Research

hs0hs9n.png

ogaqmQx.png

The numbers are derived from GPU/APU purchases from AMD. The report wasn't put together for consoles, but consoles were part of the report. Microsoft & Sony must purchase the GPU parts before they can build the machines and sell them. That's why the numbers don't align perfectly with sold numbers. The agency who put together the report is well established and credible

Last edited:

FranXico

Only 36 mil? I would expect it to be at high 40s by now... at least.

How trustworthy are those numbers?

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
Guy who created the report just stated that the numbers are from earlier this year - according to his estimates it still hasn't hit 40 million yet

NickFire

They were previously in a rough 2:1 ratio. Based purely on my personal knowledge of what system people I know have bought over the last couple years, I can believe its now closer to 3:1.

I think that Xbone is around 40 mil. PS4 surely outselling Xbone for more than 2:1 ratio in last 2 years. Sales ratio only can grow.

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
Guy gets his numbers worldwide - his focus is on GPU sales, but he's getting the numbers directly from the sources.

Yup, I wouldn't trust this report with a 10 foot pole.

That's not what I meant - JPR report which this is based on is credible source of information widely quoted by many pc hardware sites since he tracks gpu shipments. Also PS4 numbers up to 2017 seems to check out with what Sony published.

What we don't know is - how is 2018 calculated here since the year isn't over and numbers are too big for YTD numbers.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Cuphead and Titanfall are the only Xbox One exclusives I can think of that are worth a damn. 36 million is a miracle.

Last edited:

Leonidas

The numbers are not real. They're projections(and old ones at that). PS4 has also not sold anywhere near 99 million units yet.

And the projections are wrong since Xbox One is up YOY.

sales of the Xbox One are up by 15 per cent compared to the same period last year.

Source

Last edited:
The numbers are not real. They're projections(and old ones at that). PS4 has also not sold anywhere near 99 million units yet.

And the projections are wrong since Xbox One is up YOY.

Source

NPD is USA only so xbox being up in America doesn't mean it isn't down in rest of the world.

octiny

Banned
That's not what I meant - JPR report which this is based on is credible source of information widely quoted by many pc hardware sites since he tracks gpu shipments. Also PS4 numbers up to 2017 seems to check out with what Sony published.

What we don't know is - how is 2018 calculated here since the year isn't over and numbers are too big for YTD numbers.

Which is my point exactly. His 2018 numbers are pure estimates with no source for how they were calculated, thus making the report in itself rendered useless. Especially, when numbers widely available elsewhere with a little digging dispute it.

Kagey K

Banned
The fact that he has PS4 in at 99.18 mil says everything I need to know about this report. (It's not accurate)

thelastword

Banned
Wish he had updated PS3 numbers, very solid numbers for PS4......People forget how lacklustre XBOX-ONE is in the rest of the world, if it's undeperforming in the states, ROW stats should be absolutely dire....We could see that when we observe the ratio between multiplat sales in the UK sometimes, where last gen, 360 was a very solid console there...

Vawn

Banned
Hopefully, Xbox will realize GAMES sell consoles, not constant PR speak and empty promises.

NPD is USA only so xbox being up in America doesn't mean it isn't down in rest of the world.

According to last MS reports in May, Xbone sales are down WW 25%. How? On WW basis up 15% - because US sales where is 40% up ( according to Mat Piscatella few months ago ).

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Exactly. NPD =\= the world.

I do wonder how he already has PS4 over 20 million for 2018 though. It would seem he adds every system a company sells (hence 2014's PS numbers), but as the report states Sony no longer sells many of the other systems from that time. They've since added PSVR, but it obviously would not be enough to get them to 20 mill this year pre-fourth quarter blitz.

The other numbers are what I figured all along, but the 2018 numbers need some 'splainin'.

Last edited:
Exactly. NPD =\= the world.

I do wonder how he already has PS4 over 20 million for 2018 though. It would seem he adds every system a company sells (hence 2014's PS numbers), but as the report states Sony no longer sells many of the other systems from that time. They've since added PSVR, but it obviously would not be enough to get them to 20 mill this year pre-fourth quarter blitz.

The other numbers are what I figured all along, but the 2018 numbers need some 'splainin'.

Their forecast for fiscal year is 17 mil., not 20. Well, it's normal that being almost 5 years on the market, console sales are slowing down.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
36 Million for the Xbone is really damn good. Keep in mind its viable in only the United States, does ok in the U.K. and is essentially dead everywhere else. If MS were not throwing money around like crazy behind the scenes this thing probably would have been dreamcasted sometime last year, in my opinion. I have to think MS spent a good clip to have the E3 show they had this year. What third party in their right mind (Capcom?) would WILLINGLY team up with the xbox one for anything other than huge financial incentive? Almost every project on this console has been cancelled or failed.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
There is a reason MS is hiding behind MAUs this gen, how many skeletons and kraken limbs killed and how many billions of hours logged on etc...

Thiagosc777

Sounds like a made up number. NPDs earlier in the year showed the X1 sales were considerably up from the previous year. The rest of the world should be a similar situation because of the X1X. So much so that we got games like Nier and the Final Fantasies.

36 million made the right choice 😁
Glass half full. Always see the positive.

I see Gamepass changing the landscape once Microsoft gets their 1st party going. The Netflix of Gaming

Vawn

Banned
Sounds like a made up number. NPDs earlier in the year showed the X1 sales were considerably up from the previous year. The rest of the world should be a similar situation because of the X1X. So much so that we got games like Nier and the Final Fantasies.

This chart shows the same thing. Look how bad 2017 numbers were.

A lot of denial going on in this thread. I'm not sure why these numbers are so surprising. Just compare the two libraries.

Last edited:

It isn't. Like i said few posts before.

SonGoku

The fact that he has PS4 in at 99.18 mil says everything I need to know about this report. (It's not accurate)
Could this GPU figure translate into shipped consoles? so not sell through but number of PS4s shipped or manufactured so its shipped plus warehouse inventory?

Last edited:
Where did Mat Piscatella talk about WW numbers?

Uh.... Sales are up 40% in US during first half of 2018. MS said that WW sales numbers are up 15% ( during same time when Mat said Xbone is 40% up in US ). That means rest of the world ( outside of US, of course ) sales are down 25%. LOGIC, my man! LOGIC! So.... simple!

Last edited:
These numbers obviously do seem inaccurate, but seems like Microsoft is extremely secretive with their sales figures to the point where I wonder sometimes.

Top Bottom