• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Unit Sales Down YOY - Only 36 Million Xbox's Sold

PocoJoe

Banned
Sounds like a made up number. NPDs earlier in the year showed the X1 sales were considerably up from the previous year. The rest of the world should be a similar situation because of the X1X. So much so that we got games like Nier and the Final Fantasies.

X1X doesnt change anything.

Rest of the world dont care about xbox.

One of my ~50-100 people local gamer group have bought any version of xbox, all have ps4 and maybe 10 have switch. And that one guy got it free so there is that.

Literally nobody cares about x1x as there are no interesting games. And i know console game store owner, he says that xbox sells shit, even used games are hard to sell for 5€.

Switch wont sell much better here, but at least better than xbox.

Playstationland.

TLZ

Banned
The shit has hardly sold. They shouldn't have done the X and should have gone straight next gen. It didn't make a difference.

Mattyp

Gold Member
X1X doesnt change anything.

Rest of the world dont care about xbox.

One of my ~50-100 people local gamer group have bought any version of xbox, all have ps4 and maybe 10 have switch. And that one guy got it free so there is that.

Literally nobody cares about x1x as there are no interesting games. And i know console game store owner, he says that xbox sells shit, even used games are hard to sell for 5€.

Switch wont sell much better here, but at least better than xbox.

Playstationland.

It changes everything because unknown to some the U.S is a massive amount of consoles sales for either brand that it probably matches 50% of other territories alone, Xbox is Mexicos first choice another large population base, Xbox has massive support in the majority of english speaking countries U.K, Australia etc. You win the U.S over half the battle is done to being the winning console of the generation (sales wise anyway) Xbox hardware has doubled in sales in a year due to the X1X to say it is irrelevant... this in return is mindshare and good will. Include everything else they have done for gamers after turning ship they have been the most consumer friendly out of the 3.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Maybe they are just more bothered about how much profit they are making, not dick measuring contests. I mean i'm sure they would love to be winning this gen, but only because that would mean more profit, nothing to do with console warz.
They dont share sold numbers as sold through numbers are only one small part of the story now. Going simply by sales numbers is the old way of doing business in the gaming industry. And with Xbox as a service now, player engagement is the metric in which success is measured. The more people engaged in their ecosystem, the more money they make. You'd think a few of these arm chair PR and game developers, publishers and hardware manufacturer's talk, they'd know this... But, alas....

When the OP has to spend so much time convincing people this source is legit, it's probably not.
I do enjoy the freedom to discuss things openly in here but there was a time where if you posted stuff from a source that wasn't really credible the thread was locked....the numbers for both ps4 and xbox look off and we all know there is a big difference between the sales numbers of ps4 and xbox so it doesn't really serve any purpose apart from causing console wars
And there is already an xbox doom thread going which is serving the same purpose.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not surprising. They've had no major titles to push consoles.

28wmke.jpg

Hopefully this gens failures by Don Mattrick won’t affect next gen. But frankly it seems like Microsoft (rightfully) earned a status in the start of this gen they can’t get away with no matter how well they improve.

TLZ

Banned
Well here is your evidence that the numbers on the chart are completely false, PS4 did not sell 17 million units + in only a couple of months. 82 million SHIPPED is what Sony reported as of June 30th. Even Sony doesn't expect to SHIP much more than 84 million units by the end of 2018

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/07/31/playstation-4-sales-numbers-82-million/#/slide/1

Sony has revealed staggering numbers for its Q1 Financial Year 2018 results. As of June 30, 2018, 82.2 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been shipped worldwide. By the end of 2018, the company expects the PS4 to outsell the PS3’s lifetime sales, which amount to approximately 83.8 million units. Such an accomplishment in so little time may seem ambitious, but this year’s been good to the PlayStation 4. In the last quarter, Sony shipped 3.2 million PS4 consoles.
So in the first quarter Sony ships 3.2 million consoles worldwide, totalling 82.2 million, but they don't expect to reach more than 84 million, which is selling 1.8 million worldwide in the next 6 months to the end of the year?

Lol.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
There's so much wrong with this post I dont know where to start.
Nothing wrong with it, at all. No matter how we spin it, the Xbox One hasn't been successful at all. And won't be. They should've just released the S to continue whatever's left and work on next gen (which they're doing now with all the right decisions they've been making, hopefully). Possibly release next gen earlier than PS like they did the 360. Do it right this time with the right price too.

FranXico

Nothing wrong with it, at all. No matter how we spin it, the Xbox One hasn't been successful at all. And won't be. They should've just released the S to continue whatever's left and work on next gen (which they're doing now with all the right decisions they've been making, hopefully). Possibly release next gen earlier than PS like they did the 360. Do it right this time with the right price too.

They probably will. Maybe not a full year, but they will definitely try to get to market first by a few months.

Kagey K

Banned
Well now that you’ve shown why you aren’t running a multimillion dollar gaming company (nor am I) let’s talk about the real meat and potatoes.

There is a reason that nobody else, other then this site, are talking about this report and that is that it is 100% factually wrong.

Sony is not at 99 mil, MS is not at 36 mil and the 360 isn’t at 88. Those are all facts.

The fact that this thread hasn’t been closed makes me wonder. People can try to downplay and up play sales all they want but even the most bullish of predictors wouldn’t use these numbers.

The fact that the OP uses XB1 only sold 36 Mil as the title instead of the vastly better title of Sony closes in on 100 shows that even as they posted it, they knew it was shit.

It was meant to incite a console war (well done, you succeeded) but it’s all based off a very fake premise with very fake (estimated?) numbers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The actual "report" is linked to by the OP, so you can see how strange the conclusions are by just quickly skimming through the thing. And yes, they are damn strange. I mean check out fig. 14 and try and work out how that pie-chart corresponds to known sales figures...

I'd stress that although these numbers could be presented in good faith based on actual shipment figures from the manufacturer, it seems to me they have little relevance to actual consumer install-base.

Humdinger

Zhuge over at *mumblemumble* had X1 at 35 million back in February, and I'd trust his estimate (more than others, anyhow). It doesn't make sense that MS would still be as low as 36 at the end of the year. I'd guess more like 42, somewhere in that range.

The PS4 figure is inflated. No way they're at 99 million by the end of the year.

Thiagosc777

Not to be a dick but does this include Windows users. There's an Xbox live app you sign I think that counts as a Xbox live user. Not many use it but you can sign up it's exactly like Xbox live

There are more than 500 millions Windows users out there. Is the number of users anywhere near 500 million? If not, then that doesn't make sense.

nani17

are in a big trouble
There are more than 500 millions Windows users out there. Is the number of users anywhere near 500 million? If not, then that doesn't make sense.

No, because you have to download the app then sign up. So if you haven't then you're not a user. Like steam, you download it first. Not every copy of windows is automatically an Xbox live user

Calibos

didn't know people were still accusing people of being trolls or fanboys, i thought the 12yos were now in their 20s. ok ill take the bait, FYI i own an XBOX ONE and thats it. no ps4 or gaming pc.

Sure, I lumped you in with the regulars...suppose that wasn't right. I wish I was 12 though...then I could become a streamer and swoon over Ninja's hair.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Then why would anyone sign up if they don't already play on Xbox? You make no sense.

Because that's how you crossplay with console users and If down the line you want to buy an Xbox all you PC Data, gamerscore etc while transfer as soon as you sign in on the console

Thiagosc777

Because that's how you crossplay with console users and If down the line you want to buy an Xbox all you PC Data, gamerscore etc while transfer as soon as you sign in on the console

That only applies to people who are already spending money on Xbox Live with Play Anywhere titles. Nobody else needs to use the app for anything at all.

And PlayAnywhere has only existed for a couple of years and the number of users didn't get a massive bump when it was first introduced, thus negating your theory.

nani17

are in a big trouble
That only applies to people who are already spending money on Xbox Live with Play Anywhere titles. Nobody else needs to use the app for anything at all.

And PlayAnywhere has only existed for a couple of years and the number of users didn't get a massive bump when it was first introduced, thus negating your theory.

giphy.gif

JaffeLion

Banned
The information in the Reports is believed to be reliable but is not guaranteed as to its accuracy or completeness, i.e. the numbers are basically useless.

The information in the Reports is believed to be reliable but is not guaranteed as to its accuracy or completeness, i.e. the numbers are basically useless.
As i already said.
They have Xbox One WW sales at 4.3 million for 2017
Xbox One sold 4.3 million in the US alone in 2017

And the estimate for 2018 with also just a little over 4 million is ridiculous.
Xbox One will sell 5 million in the US alone this year.

REDRZA MWS

There is a reason MS is hiding behind MAUs this gen, how many skeletons and kraken limbs killed and how many billions of hours logged on etc...

Or maybe with now fully incorporating Windows 10 Pc’s and play anywhere, cross play, Game pass coming to Windows 10 pc’s, guess what? They dont care about boxes sold. Xbox plus windows 10 pc’s equals biggest install base. Biggest install base means selling more software and content, more services like Gamepass, so........

Yeah, MS has changed this game.

IpsoFacto

I was the impression that the Xbox One was around 40 million. Two major takeaways here: The sales from Xbox 360 to Xbox One represent by far the biggest drop in consumer confidence and costumer loyalty with regards to the Xbox brand which is saying something. The other is that even though, we were in a recession, the numbers for the Xbox 360 were impressive.

I was the impression that the Xbox One was around 40 million. Two major takeaways here: The sales from Xbox 360 to Xbox One represent by far the biggest drop in consumer confidence and costumer loyalty with regards to the Xbox brand which is saying something. The other is that even though, we were in a recession, the numbers for the Xbox 360 were impressive.

These numbers aren't reliable.

Estimates and such have it around 40 million the same 2:1ish ratio as years before. Which matches what the 360 sold around 5 years in, 40 million.

AlexxKidd

These numbers aren't reliable.

Estimates and such have it around 40 million the same 2:1ish ratio as years before. Which matches what the 360 sold around 5 years in, 40 million.

It can not be at a 2 to 1 ratio as years before because that implies it sells on par with the PlayStation. In order to maintain 2 to 1 you have to match your competitor, or sell more than them to close the gap (ie, what happened with PS3 and Xbox 360).

If you were 2 to 1 years ago and you continue to sell less than your competition, the gap widens. It does not remain at 2 to 1 and it certainly doesn't shrink.

For example the Nintendo Switch came out last year and is already closing the gap on the Xbox One's install base. So if you're Microsoft you're looking up at Sony and you're looking back at a fast moving Nintendo breathing down your neck. Luckily, the Switch's base overlaps with with Sony and Microsoft (meaning Switch users are more likely to own one of the other two consoles) so the Switch isn't quite as much your competition as Sony is. Though as the Nintendo head stated, they compete for time, so in that sense they are your competition as well.

If you are someone who is happy with Game Pass coming to PC, you should be thankful of this current predicament as this is why they are taking those measures. Microsoft is doing what they can to try to close the gap or at least stop the bleeding as to the install base differential. As a result, gamers (in this case PC users who will soon have the full compliment of Xbox titles) benefit.

Three

No you have to have an xbox live account just for playing solitaire the app existed way before play anywhere.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

If you were 2 to 1 years ago and you continue to sell less than your competition, the gap widens. It does not remain at 2 to 1 and it certainly doesn't shrink.

Some people might mistake some theories in these threads to pure trolling. This is mathematically wrong.

Three

Then explain how the number of users is only 57 million and not 500 or more.

Because not everyone signs up to play Solitaire or even has internet for that matter. Why would it be at 500M and not 57M? You can't just say why is it not higher.

Last edited:

Humdinger

It can not be at a 2 to 1 ratio as years before because that implies it sells on par with the PlayStation. In order to maintain 2 to 1 you have to match your competitor, or sell more than them to close the gap (ie, what happened with PS3 and Xbox 360).

No, ratios don't work that way.

In order to maintain a 2 to 1 ratio, all MS needs to do is sell half as many. The gap as measured by raw numbers of consoles grows, but the ratio does not change.

Thiagosc777

Because not everyone signs up to play Solitaire or even has internet for that matter. Why would it be at 500M and not 57M? You can't just say why is it not higher.

So let me see, there are more than 700 million Windows 10 installations out there, but only a small minority of users play Solitaire, enough to skew the "Xbox active users" a little but without making the numbers look absurd. Ok.

And you just took all of that from your ass. And use it as an argument in a forum thread hoping to be taken seriously.

Three

So let me see, there are more than 700 million Windows 10 installations out there, but only a small minority of users play Solitaire, enough to skew the "Xbox active users" a little but without making the numbers look absurd. Ok.

And you just took all of that from your ass. And use it as an argument in a forum thread hoping to be taken seriously.

I didn't take anything from my ass. What have I taken from my ass exactly? It's you taking numbers out of your ass. There are 700Million windows 10 installations the majority of those are NOT active xbox live users. They do not log on to xbox live on their windows 10 machines every month. Do a simple poll who has logged on to xbox live on their windows machine? It's you taking a value which says monthly active xbox live users and saying it doesn't count all xbox live platforms because you think the value is too low when it's higher than the amount of xbox ones out there and is likely counting ALL xbox live platforms because there is no reason not to. You are taking the 500M value out of your ass and claiming it should be that if it's counted.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Sony's domination shows no sign of slowing down. I really hope microsoft can start off on the right track next gen, I'd hate to see this industry to be ruled by one console alone...

Thiagosc777

s because you think the value is too low when it's higher than the amount of xbox ones out there and is likely counting ALL xbox live platforms because there is no reason not to.

What are you even talking about? Xbox Live active users count both X1 and X360 users. There are over 80 million 360 machines out there.

Oh wait, maybe they are counting Solitaire players.... Haha. Get over it.

Are people actually trusting this source? It says there have been 99million ps4’s sold which is blatantly false. Thats more than 10 million off of what the actually number is.

Three

What are you even talking about? Xbox Live active users count both X1 and X360 users. There are over 80 million 360 machines out there.

Oh wait, maybe they are counting Solitaire players.... Haha. Get over it.

https://www.mcvuk.com/development/m...thly-active-users-across-its-gaming-platforms

it includes mobile applications, Xbox One and Windows 10 devices.

You get over it buddy.

Just because you think it should be absurdly higher doesn't mean you are more right than somebody else. Most of those xbox 360 users have moved on to PS4 or Xbox one and aren't logging on to their 360 each month. Tell me how much more you expect it to be without any actual facts and values out your ass.

Also good going trying to misconstrue my point about solitaire. I only mentioned that what you said here

Was incorrect because the app existed way before and had uses before Play anywhere existed. Solitaire was one such example.

Breakage

The shit has hardly sold. They shouldn't have done the X and should have gone straight next gen. It didn't make a difference.
Regarding the One X, I have to agree. I think MS should have just rode this gen out with the One S. Yes, MS – with the One X – can boast about having the "most powerful games console", but Sony has won the units sold war this gen – the One X (as good as it is) won't change that.
MS would have been better off using the One S to carry them to 2020 before breaking away from the tarnished "Xbox One" brand to release its next gen challenger ahead of Sony.

Last edited:
Sony's last reported sales numbers for the PS4 were 82 million and this was just a few months ago, this was just the "shipped" numbers as of June 30th so actual sales are going to be less.

Of course actual sales are less. But it's impressively less. Just 1 mil sitting on shelves. https://www.resetera.com/posts/11287046/

Zhuge over at *mumblemumble* had X1 at 35 million back in February, and I'd trust his estimate (more than others, anyhow). It doesn't make sense that MS would still be as low as 36 at the end of the year. I'd guess more like 42, somewhere in that range.

Problem is, outside Holidays, Xbone is not selling in 1 million units each month globally. That means it's on par with PS4 ( according to Zhuge's statement 35 mil. back in February and yours 42 mil. till now ). Which is impossible. Ratio isn't anymore 2 : 1, it's bigger. PS4 outselling Xbone on global scale more than 2 : 1 in last two years surely. Besides 2014, Xbone never reached 10 mil. yearly on global scale.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Problem is, outside Holidays, Xbone is not selling in 1 million units each month globally. That means it's on par with PS4 ( according to Zhuge's statement 35 mil. back in February and yours 42 mil. till now ). Which is impossible.

I didn't say 42 now; I said 42 by end of the year. They wouldn't need to sell 1 million a month to hit that; it's more like 700K/mo.

The PS4 figure is inflated. No way they're at 99 million by the end of the year.
A small addition, Zhuge later elaborated in that same thread that the 35 million figure was as of the end of 2017.

Top Bottom