• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Studios Boss Admits Lagging Behind Sony In Terms Of Big Tentpole Games

3liteDragon

"We haven't really had the sort of 1:1 with Sony."
Xbox Game Studios boss Matt Booty has discussed Microsoft's efforts to compete with Sony in terms of first-party games, acknowledging that Xbox has "not been out in front" when it comes big tentpole games like Sony is known for. Speaking to Kinda Funny, Booty praised Sony for what it has been able to achieve, going on to say Microsoft hopes to deliver more of those types of games in the future.
"Hats off to Sony, their studio system, and the leaders that they've got there, it's fantastic--you can't argue with the quality and the craft and the games that they delivered and that they're working on now. Kudos and hats off to them," he said. "I think there is a certain kind of game that generates an anticipation; it becomes this tentpole moment. It's a game that fits that intersection of everybody can play and it's a big world you can inhabit. I think those kind of games are important. And certainly, it's been a place where we have not been out in front. We haven't really had the sort of 1:1 with Sony."
Booty said he didn't want to get drawn into discussing what Microsoft's response to Sony's Uncharted or Horizon game might be, if it even is making projects like that. But overall, Booty said Microsoft is keen to create the types of games that Sony is known for.
"I don't necessarily want to get into, 'What's our Uncharted? 'What's our Horizon: Zero Dawn?' 'What's our this, what's our that?' I don't think that does anybody any good," Booty said. "What are those games that have universal themes, that have a big world that people want to get lost in, that have really well-realized characters, and really high production values? That is absolutely what we want to go after."
Booty went on to mention that his boss, Phil Spencer, recently discussed Microsoft's plans to acquire more game development studios. Microsoft already has 23 internal game development teams, but the company is clearly hungry for more. Microsoft has two more giant first-party games on the way for 2021, including Forza Horizon 5 in November and the long-awaited release of Halo Infinite in December.

Full interview with Kinda Funny Games (3:45-49:24):

Please keep it civil in here.

Last edited:

Zones

captain-obvious-thank-you.gif

Last edited:

NickFire

He discussed MS efforts to compete with Sony???

What happened to:

Kinda Funny holding down the MSFT big boy interviews I see. I mean yea it’s been obvious but it’s also obvious that they are taking it way more serious this gen than opposed to last gen so I’m actually excited to see what their 1st party brings to the industry.

Never had an Xbox before but hey with SteamDeck I’ll actually be able to try out some Xbox games so cheers to them hopefully knocking it outta the park

AlexxKidd

So they are realists at Xbox. If you say that same thing on this forum you will be branded a fanboy and they'd be PM'ing the mods for a ban as we speak. Ban Matt Booty for being honest and stating the obvious, apologists.

Microsoft couldn't make those games, but they certainly bought someone who could in Bethesda. So if Bethesda hits on all cylinders perhaps things will be not exactly 1:1 but certainly a lot closer than before.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They dont need their own Uncharted or Horizon. What they have announced is good enough. They just need deliver like Sony studios so consistently did last gen.

- Starfield
- Hellblade 2
- Perfect Dark
- Fable
- Avowed

All of these games have the potential to be just as good as Uncharted and Horizon. They are on the right track. They just need to put all their resources towards making these studios bigger so they can release games faster.

mejin

It's strange he pick it up this moment to finally recognize the obvious. I mean Forza and halo are just coming.

They dont need their own Uncharted or Horizon. What they have announced is good enough. They just need deliver like Sony studios so consistently did last gen.

- Starfield
- Hellblade 2
- Perfect Dark
- Fable
- Avowed

All of these games have the potential to be just as good as Uncharted and Horizon. They are on the right track. They just need to put all their resources towards making these studios bigger so they can release games faster.

But you haven't seem shit of them yet.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There is no magic formula to the last of us or gow, these games are made by talented devs with big budgets and creative freedom, the folks over at playstation management dont have some special method which allows them to have great games, they have just aquired talented developers over time.
TLOU2 or horizon would be just as great if Microsoft or Activision, the same with the elder scrolls and forza horizon.

Vol5

They have the tentpole names, but for some reason fail to deliver on the games. They have HALO for goodness sake....perhaps this is some kind of recognition the way they are managing their studios isn't as good as it should be.

Last edited:

Ellery

It is the #1 thing I am looking at Xbox and hoping they try to do. I love the way they make games available on Xbox and PC, I think their hardware is great and their commitment to BC and improving old games.

If they can deliver games that make me drool and feel like when I play Zelda, Mario, Last of Us, Uncharted or God of War then they have a complete package.

The future is interesting, even though I am not looking at anything that Besthesda offers, because I expected to play those games regardless of Microsoft getting involved since Bethesda was a big studio already developing lots of great games.

S0ULZB0URNE

This is true.
But give it time as they own a shit load of IP's and developers.

Things could change quicker than some would think with arguably a better 2021-23ish lineup coming to Xbox.

MiguelItUp

It's important to acknowledge such things, good on him. It would be absolutely awful to ignore it, but then keep preaching that you're number one. That'd be incredibly tone deaf. It already sounds like they're shifting in a better direction. Good on them!

Lupin25

It's strange he pick it up this moment to finally recognize the obvious. I mean Forza and halo are just coming.

But you haven't seem shit of them yet.

Agreed. You have to deliver before it’s ever decided upon how anticipated your next sequel becomes.

Akuji

Microsoft is so busy admitting failure and promising to Do better for the last 8 years, they had no time putting in the actual work to deliver it seems....

I read Things like these way to often from ms. Sure admitting to be wrong is the first step but how long Do they want to be on step one? Be confident about what you currently worn on and actually compete instead of giving interviews telling everyone how you failed and why... imagine a Person that actually needs to deliver doing these Kind of Things. They never acomplish anything because the competition never sleeps.

Topher

Gold Member
They will be catching up starting this fall with halo infinite and forza horizon 5 and next year with starfield,forza, redfall, stalker 2 etc

Racing games are not what Booty is talking about at all. He is talking about games with rich narratives, characters, and production values. If Halo Infinite's campaign is really great then that will be the start, but there is still a long way to go to match Sony's output. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that's what they are aiming for. More of these type of games, the better, I say.

deathsaber

Yeah, agree the big AAA tentpole games are the one thing they have been lacking thus far, but as an owner of both ps5 and series X, imo MS has a much better machine and ecosystem out there- between the hardware itself, its power, its support of 4 generations of games (I love that I can still go buy original Xbox or 360 games), Gamepass and its incredible value, and how it integrates into other MS services (such as MS Rewards, where I'm constantly earning $10 gift cards for via points earned for doing shit I'm always doing anyway, like playing Xbox games, searching the internet (just start using Bing), etc, a sturdier controller with less problems and much better battery life.

I was a staunch Sony guy (and don't get me wrong, I still love them and their exclusives), and I used to shit on MS all the time (especially during the Xbox One days), but this time around, they have fully converted me. I will play pretty much everything I can on my Series X, and my PS5 will be there for their exclusives, and some of the more eclectic Japan centric stuff that just doesn't come to MS consoles (though they are getting more and more of this stuff now).

TrueLegend

Yes water is wet.
Everybody knows Playstation's domination in last few years, thats the whole thing everbody agrees on. But from this month Xbox Studios are coming back in game. I know you cant play Age of Empires IV on Xbox but still it has been 15 years since Age of Empires III and now finally we have a sequal. Legendary franchise back in action and then Forza Horizon 5. Looks like Microsoft is back in game.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Racing games are not what Booty is talking about at all. He is talking about games with rich narratives, characters, and production values. If Halo Infinite's campaign is really great then that will be the start, but there is still a long way to go to match Sony's output. Regardless, I'm glad to hear that's what they are aiming for. More of these type of games, the better, I say.
I know. Im just talking about exclusive offerings that are bot held to any specific criterias.

Lineups dont need to be exactly bthe same to be competitive. Personal taste determines which exclusive offering one will prefer.
I already prefer xboxs 2022 mainly because of starfield, fallout 4 was one of my favourite games last gen.
Horizon FW im not interested in, and Gow is not worth paying £70 for unless they make some improvements over the first imo.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I know. Im just talking about exclusive offerings that are bot held to any specific criterias.

Ah....so just overall game output? Ok. I can see that.

Lineups dont need to be exactly bthe same to be competitive. Personal taste determines which exclusive offering one will prefer.
I already prefer xboxs 2022 mainly because of starfield, fallout 4 was one of my favourite games last gen.
Horizon FW im not interested in, and Gow is not worth paying £70 for unless they make some improvements over the first imo.

lol.....ok, your opinion so....

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I don't think they should try. It would be better if they did their own thing, like Nintendo does. You don't have to compete directly. Head into another direction.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Microsoft is so busy admitting failure and promising to Do better for the last 8 years, they had no time putting in the actual work to deliver it seems....

I read Things like these way to often from ms. Sure admitting to be wrong is the first step but how long Do they want to be on step one? Be confident about what you currently worn on and actually compete instead of giving interviews telling everyone how you failed and why... imagine a Person that actually needs to deliver doing these Kind of Things. They never acomplish anything because the competition never sleeps.
Well recently they did put their money where their mouth is and went out and bought an entire publisher. They also created new internal teams and bought several other teams like Ninja Theory, Playground Games and Obsidian.

Two years ago, I'd agree with you, but they have made some moves since and now comes the waiting game. I was asking for these acquisitions and exclusives way back in 2015, and had they listened back then, they wouldve been far more competitive today. In two years, I think both Sony and MS will be seen as more or less equal.

Starfield alone might win some GOTYs at the very least which is very unusual for MS first party games. As far as I am concerned, Starfield is the favorite to win GOTYs and that will put MS first party studios right up there with sony.

Swift_Star

Banned

They've been buying studios and publishers left and right, how are they not working on it? They're investing hard specially in Starfield.

reksveks

They've been buying studios and publishers left and right, how are they not working on it? They're investing hard specially in Starfield.
Ignore the unconstructive conversations imo.

What's wrong with him admitting the obvious? That's a good thing. I want them to acknowledge that they don't have a stellar first-party lineup.
I think there was a similar tone in the thread where MS praised TLOU2 during the Epic document reveals, its a bit weird. Guess you are damned either way.

Great Hair

Banned
In two years, I think both Sony and MS will be seen as more or less equal.
Starfield alone might win some GOTYs at the very least which is very unusual for MS first party games. As far as I am concerned, Starfield is the favorite to win GOTYs and that will put MS first party studios right up there with sony.
Based on what? How do you know?
Whats Wrong With You GIF by RK3
Whatever You Say Ok GIF by Kathryn Dean

Shit is not out yet and if it´s just Skyrim in Space ...

Top Bottom