• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox streaming stick not ready yet

Ozriel

M$FT
Makes no sense to launch it without a big first party game.

Honestly, their best shot was a Starfield promo during the holiday. The thing is practically a stocking stuffer.

Why would a streaming service for an existing console need to launch with a big first party game?

It’s literally a gateway to a console in the cloud. The same console they’re selling at the moment

Man Xbox X s not even ready yet never mind this

Wut?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The biggest issue with their ecosystem right now is that not all games support cloud streaming, just (most) of the games on Game Pass. If they're going to maximize their profitability to the mass market, they need to first enable all Xbox Series X games to run "in the cloud". Until that happens, this is just going to be niche.

For example - if this released today, there would be no way for someone to plug it in, sign in with their Xbox account, and give Microsoft $60 in exchange for buying Elden Ring and start playing it.

If I had to guess, that's their biggest hold up.

Considering xCloud is only available as part of Gamepass I dont think MS really cares too much about games that arent on Gamepass. (They will keep hunting obviously)
They effectively just want you to pay for the subscription and play whats on it, when that game that you really want isnt available on the service......well guess who just decided to buy themselves a full on console?

acm2000

hey MS, in the mean time can you fucking up the android apps streaming resolution to 1080p like the desktop client? please god.

Reposting 'cuz I'm bored:

>SERIES C (COMPANION)

>6nm process

>Zen 2 & RDNA 2-based

>4c/8t mobile Zen 2 processor clocked at 1.2 GHz

>10 RDNA 2 CUs clocked at 1 GHz, providing 1.28 TF of performance

>Also supports a Performance Mode option setting the GPU clock
at 1.565 GHz, for 2 TF

>24 ROPs (24 Gpixels/s - 37.56 Gpixels/s pixel fillrate)

>60 TMUs (60 Gtexels/s - 93.9 Gtexels/s texture fillrate)

>Minirature, small footprint mobile box for GamePass streaming via xCloud

-NOT a streaming stick; footprint closer in size to an Apple TV

>Connects to any compatible display device (or other devices such as
computers and laptops) via USB Type-C, which provides both data transmission
and power charging

>Can also connect to smart TV devices via Wifi, with built-in support for
Wifi 6E. Features built-in ethernet port

>Allows for viewing of live television content and, when configured as an
accessing point from a main PC or Xbox Series console, can locally stream
4K video content and games

>PiP feature of GamePass TV naturally works with Series C as well, whether
television has built-in PiP or not

>Features support for all GamePass TV capabilities (GamePass TV being
whatever app MS does for integration into smart TVs)

>2x USB Gen 4 2x2 (2.4 GB/s) Type-C port (power supply, wired data transfer
(optional)), 1x USB Gen 3 Type-A port

>While primarily a GamePass xcloud streaming machine, Series C also comes
with built-in apps for Netflix, Youtube, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, and Peacock

>Features 128 GB of internal storage via an upgradable 120 MB/s USH-II SDXC
microSD card
, and an additional 8 GB of onboard soldered NAND for OS and
update file packages (non-replaceable and non-accessible by user). Internal
storage is replaceable, supports up to 1 TB microSD SDXC cards of up to 240
MB/s bandwidths

>Streaming bitrate options can be set on the device for those with more
strict data plans; streaming bitrate options can be set for each individual
profile, across the system itself and profile settings can be shared among
the device and other devices supporting GamePass that the user has their
account registered with. Other options will include being able to set
active online network access times by either time or bandwidth for different
networks across each shared account (these features will also be implemented
out to existing Xbox platforms like the Series S and Series X as well)

>4 GB of GDDR6 memory as 2x 12 Gbps modules providing 96 GB/s effective bandwidth

>Comes with universal remote & Xbox Series controller

>MSRP: $149

>RELEASE: Fall 2023

Bolded are the things I'm most confident will happen. Never liked the idea of a streaming stick or puck, mainly because they're too small and look kind of ugly.

BlueHawk357

This is a great first step into being on everything.
Hopefully a year or so after they can start creating a Smart TV app too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
ill definitely buy an Xbox stick. like others have said though it needs ethernet. I'm sure they will include it. they can just do something like this:

Amazon-Firestick-Ethernet-Adapter.png

Last edited:

FeldMonster

As someone who doesn't currently own an Xbox or any Xbox controllers, I would buy it if:

1) it can do something not possible through just having an Xbox cloud app on my smart TV.
2) it's so small that it can plug into a USB slot without hanging/dangling like the Firestick unfortunately did before I had a smart TV.
3) it's bundled with an Xbox controller at a low price (for instance $10 on top at most) and if buying that bundle gave me something like a free month of Game Pass Ultimate (if I subscribe for, say, 6 months) so that it would sort of cancel out the cost of the dongle itself.

I guess (1) is most important because otherwise why bother? I could see the benefit being some sort of feature that makes the latency between the controller and receiver super low since you're already having to deal with input lag by default due to the nature of cloud streaming, but it would have to be demonstrably better.
There are several possible benefits over a TV app.

TVs are notorious for having weak WIFI radios and non-gigabit ethernet. This device could have a premium wireless chipset and gigabit ethernet to help compensate for the latency.
In addition, this device would likely have a chipset to handle the Xbox Wireless Protocol, which is superior to a Bluetooth connection.

Also, regarding #2 this would connect via HDMI, not USB.

Lognor

Banned
Makes no sense to launch it without a big first party game.

Honestly, their best shot was a Starfield promo during the holiday. The thing is practically a stocking stuffer.
Huh

It doesn't need a big first party title to launch alongside it. That's not what this is for. It'll be an inexpensive streaming device that can play game pass games. I'll probably buy one if it's under$100 just for the novelty.

What a complete abomination, where are you getting these ideas from?

Thought them up myself; I think it's the most realistic device they could do spec-wise if they are in fact doing a streaming box. It should be enough for xCloud streaming, media apps, smooth OS and whatever else they have planned for the thing.

ill definitely buy an Xbox stick. like others have said though it needs ethernet. I'm sure they will include it. they can just do something like this:

Amazon-Firestick-Ethernet-Adapter.png

That's such an ugly setup though, when they could combine both in a more elegant single box. MS seem most drawn to competing with Apple's aesthetic when it comes to minimalist style and perceived high quality, you can definitely see that with their Surface devices.

So I think they'll go for something that aesthetically looks more competitive against the Apple TV. They may want to price it cheap but don't want it to look cheap, know what I mean?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Why is your takes always stupid?

Stadia didn't have games. Hardware wise, it's the best Cloud gaming. Much better than whatever Cloud gaming we have now.

Games are what killed stadia. And xcloud doesn't have that issue.
Stadia couldn’t work out how to make an all you can eat subscription feasible obviously, otherwise what would have stopped them.

kingfey

Banned
Stadia couldn’t work out how to make an all you can eat subscription feasible obviously, otherwise what would have stopped them.
The game offerings weren't that great.
Having alot of library would have made stadia great. But they lacked that.
You dont needs subscription service to get those games.
Just offer tons of games, which users can buy it, thus satisfying everyone.

They had less than 100 games, which made no sense at all.

At least 500 games, which you can buy it, would have made the service good.

supernova8

Banned
There are several possible benefits over a TV app.

TVs are notorious for having weak WIFI radios and non-gigabit ethernet. This device could have a premium wireless chipset and gigabit ethernet to help compensate for the latency.
In addition, this device would likely have a chipset to handle the Xbox Wireless Protocol, which is superior to a Bluetooth connection.

Also, regarding #2 this would connect via HDMI, not USB.
Got it, sorry I was getting mixed up with my Fire Stick that I plug into a USB slot for power since I don't want another cable dangling down. Hopefully this streaming thing would also be able to do the same.

kingfey

Banned
Got it, sorry I was getting mixed up with my Fire Stick that I plug into a USB slot for power since I don't want another cable dangling down. Hopefully this streaming thing would also be able to do the same.
If it's good like stadia, I would use my xsx money for my pc.

At this point, I don't want to waste money on something I am going to use it less, because of options like these.

Top Bottom