• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Will Push Subscription Model For Next-Gen Launch, Phil Spencer Says.

TBiddy

It's very expensive in the medium to long run.

Good thing there's always the option to buy it outright then.

Because if that's the future, it'll be exactly what MS and Don Mattrick were going for with the original XBO plans.

You can have it both ways. You can both have the option to pay for the console over 24 months, with Game Pass and XBL Gold included.. or you can buy it outright and subscribe to whatever services you prefer afterwards.

I don't see why it's a bad thing, to be honest.

Psykodad

Banned
You can have it both ways. You can both have the option to pay for the console over 24 months, with Game Pass and XBL Gold included.. or you can buy it outright and subscribe to whatever services you prefer afterwards.

I don't see why it's a bad thing, to be honest.

I know you can buy it outright and that it's optional.
I'm actually all for spread payment because there's benefits to it.
More options is always good.

What I think the problem is, is adding GamePass to the mix.
At face value, it's a great deal. No denying that.
But long-term, I think it'll be harmful to the industry.

Especially since Spencer came out and said that Google and Amazon as their main competitors.
Paid online multiplayer and a heavy push by MS for DLC are proof that something that can be seen as harmless or beneficial can become the norm in a negative way.

Last edited:

TBiddy

What I think the problem is, is adding GamePass to the mix

Especially since Spencer came out and said that Google and Amazon as their main competitors.
Paid online multiplayer and a heavy push by MS for DLC are proof that something that can be seen as harmless or beneficial can become the norm in a negative way.

OK - so we're not talking about the split payments you can select for the Xbox. I thought that was the subject. That explains some of the misunderstandings so far.

GamePass is, as you say, a great deal. I agree it can potentially be harmful to the industry. But then again - streaming/subscriptions haven't really ruined the TV/Movie industry. Not yet, at least.

Ashoca

Banned
What I think the problem is, is adding GamePass to the mix.

It can be also very beneficial to the industry. Game devs can take way more risks with game pass. no matter how much they sell, they will get their money right in the beginning - if they launch first on game pass.
just look at netflix, what they released and compare it to the movie industry.

Psykodad

Banned
OK - so we're not talking about the split payments you can select for the Xbox. I thought that was the subject. That explains some of the misunderstandings so far.

GamePass is, as you say, a great deal. I agree it can potentially be harmful to the industry. But then again - streaming/subscriptions haven't really ruined the TV/Movie industry. Not yet, at least.
People tend to take 90% of my posts the wrong way, so it's all good.
(in general, not directed at you)

Netflix and other streaming services are harmful to cable/digital television though.
Probably at a much slower pace than gaming potentially, but it all starts somewhere.
And given that MS has never denounced the always online DRM strategy and officialy stated that they were just too soon with their plans, I'm not really looking forward to a potential future like that.

(Goes for Sony as well, Nintendo too)

It can be also very beneficial to the industry. Game devs can take way more risks with game pass. no matter how much they sell, they will get their money right in the beginning - if they launch first on game pass.
just look at netflix, what they released and compare it to the movie industry.
True, that's why it's all tricky.
Paid online multiplayer was a good thing too when it was introduced with XBL.

And 2 gens later Sony was sneaky by adding it to PS+, since people were far too busy cheering about how Sony wasn't going to follow MS' plans back in 2013.

Last edited:

TBiddy

People tend to take 90% of my posts the wrong way, so it's all good.
(in general, not directed at you)

Netflix and other streaming services are harmful to cable/digital television though.
Probably at a much slower pace than gaming potentially, but it all starts somewhere.
And given that MS has never denounced the always online DRM strategy and officialy stated that they were just too soon with their plans, I'm not really looking forward to a potential future like that.

(Goes for Sony as well, Nintendo too)

All inventions/innovations or new business models are hurtful to the old ways of doing business. I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing. Either get with the times or get wiped out.

Norse

It all comes down to monthly cost. If it adds up to same cost as retail xsx plus 2 yrs ultimate then it could be huge. Current Xbox owners could trade old system in at GameStop for 3rd party games since Ms games will be on gamepass day 1. $34.99 mo for 24 months wouldn't be too bad for everything.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It all comes down to monthly cost. If it adds up to same cost as retail xsx plus 2 yrs ultimate then it could be huge. Current Xbox owners could trade old system in at GameStop for 3rd party games since Ms games will be on gamepass day 1. $34.99 mo for 24 months wouldn't be too bad for everything.
LOL, Gamestop.

I imagine it'll be $40 a month with Gamepass included.
Naw, $30 per month is what it would be if X Series X is $499.99 with 24 months of Xbox Ultimate. That is $140 cheaper than retail with 0% financing, similar to the current dealā€™s discount for Xbox One X with 24 months of game pass ultimate. $40m per month would be way overpriced compared to how it is structured now.

$40 per month would be more than retail, not cheaper. Retail would be $500 plus $360 = $860. $40 per month for 24 months is $960, $100 more expensive than retail, defeating the whole purpose of All Access.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Naw, $30 per month is what it would be if X Series X is $499.99 with 24 months of Xbox Ultimate. That is $140 cheaper than retail with 0% financing, similar to the current dealā€™s discount for Xbox One X with 24 months of game pass ultimate. $40m per month would be way overpriced compared to how it is structured now.

$40 per month would be more than retail, not cheaper. Retail would be $500 plus $360 = $860. $40 per month for 24 months is $960, $100 more expensive than retail, defeating the whole purpose of All Access.

Good point. I'll bring it down to $35 a month. Even given what you said (which makes sense).

abcdrstuv

Banned
Is it possible with All Access to make more than the monthly payment, or pay off the console early?

The only risk I see is that getting people used to a monthly charge could be a chance to up prices, like with Apple phones. When you're willing to pay 30 a month for 20 months, 30 months, or 35 a month, doesn't sound like much more..

Business

The usual shenanigans so you think you pay less and end up paying more. There is a reason why everyone wants to have you on their subscription service and is not making less money.

pasterpl

Currently Xbox all access is available only in Australia, UK and USA. Interesting in Australia it is available via broadband provider. In Australia they also give you Jedi Fallen Order digital download with it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The usual shenanigans so you think you pay less and end up paying more. There is a reason why everyone wants to have you on their subscription service and is not making less money.
Because the predictability of the revenue of your service is much higher, and people are more likely to extend services once they started using it.

cormack12

Gold Member
This is a good move by Microsoft. Millenials (here in the UK) seem to only care about monthly expense, hence them driving lease cars which are - in reality - beyond their budget, if they also wish to save. Being brought up on credit, store cards, buy now-pay later, property market deposits and high LTV leaving behind disposable which is meant to be saved and isn't. Of course there are also people in that bracket, who are just poor because of rents and locale too.

If they try to give as many onboard options as they can, they can grow their market in multiple area's quickly. Credit agreements for Ā£500 or Ā£600 are nothing and can be paid off within the year. While the interest will deter many of us, it won't even register with parents wanting the latest and greatest for their kids, youths with weekend jobs etc. It already exists anyway with places like Very, Argos store card or even the old catalogues - it lessens the impact of an immediate purchase. How many of us spread the mobile cost out via carrier subsidy rather than pay the latest Ā£800-Ā£1200 mobile phone then take a SIM contract?

The real issue will be the balancing act of making enough available at full retail and making enough available through the schemes. Day 1, new console, full BC library and three month free gamePass. It's an easy sell. They just have to have a few killer titles. Halo is one of them. If they manage to recapture Gears, then that could be another, Forza is another but they really need a bonestorm title - even Ryse fell flat despite looking spectacular. Look at what has brought in the gamers for the PS4 and have a mass appeal title along those lines

TotalComplicatedAlaskanhusky-small.gif

I don't approve of any type of short term finance like this unless it was absolutely essential. If I get a series x, it will be paid for on day one, not over many years with interest on top.

Business

Because the predictability of the revenue of your service is much higher, and people are more likely to extend services once they started using it.

Nobody wants predictably low revenue though is it. Subscriptions give you more and you pay more, for the average consumer, you consume more than you would without them. Did I spend 120 a year on music? Personally I didnā€™t before Spotify and now I do. I have more music I can ever listen to and I spend more in music than I ever did before.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody wants predictably low revenue though is it. Subscriptions give you more and you pay more, for the average consumer, you consume more than you would without them. Did I spend 120 a year on music? Personally I didnā€™t before Spotify and now I do. I have more music I can ever listen to and I spend more in music than I ever did before.
I don't really agree that you necessarily pay more. You might not have spend 120$ a year on Spotify years ago, but CD's used to cost $20. I definitely used to buy more than 6 CD's a year.

My dudes.... All this means that the majority of us who wants a next gen system or GPU... We won't get one in 2 years if this shit keeps going at this pace......

Top Bottom