• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Will Push Subscription Model For Next-Gen Launch, Phil Spencer Says.

this is only for the console itself, has nothing to do with the games, its like saying: buyin phones from a carrier is bad for the network and bad for the apps lol

Yo dawg. You buy the console on subscription pricing and Game Pass all together. Remember:

They will simply expand this program to any XBox hardware.

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
I purchased my One X through all access even though I could have bought it outright. I wanted the the ability to use the upgrade program. If there is production issues I hope they will be supported first.

I already have 499 stashed away for an XsX (And 449 stashes away for a PS5) if either ends being less, good deal, if either ends up being more I can easily adjust. If they offer a monthly payment option it will tempting

In fact, Spencer used the plural, saying Microsoft will "go big with [Xbox All Access] at the launch of the consoles." He might have simply misspoke, or he might have been referring to Microsoft's previously discussed plan to launch more than one next-generation console this year.

At the launch of the consoles (PS5/XSX) we're going big with our subscription services. Seems pretty clear to me. If he said 'our' consoles instead it would have been different but everyone knows there are multiple consoles launching this year (knock on wood covid-19)

Sota4077

I already have 499 stashed away for an XsX (And 449 stashes away for a PS5) if either ends being less, good deal, if either ends up being more I can easily adjust. If they offer a monthly payment option it will tempting

So much of my next gen plans are up in the air. I plan to get the Series X at launch just so I have the more powerful console for 3rd party games. Then depending on what Sony does with their games going to PC I will either buy the PS5 in March with my annual work bonus or I will spend a little more to upgrade my PC for the new generation and then eventually get the PS5 when it has its mid gen refresh or something.

Sota4077

From what I heard it does not, because you don't own the console until after 24 months. So if payments fall through, they just take the console back and that's it.

Microsoft are not taking the console back. They will remove permaban it from Xbox Live then it will go to collections and someone else will deal with it. The only time items are physically taken back are when they are high dollar items like homes and vehicles and loans for things. A $500 console is just going to be sent to collections and they will harass you until they get something out of you. I actually have a financially imbecilic buddy who did this with a laptop from Best Buy where he thought "Hey I only have $100 to my name so I will put the laptop on a credit card and then not pay it. Not like theyr'e gonna come take it away." Little did he realize that alone severely damaged his credit and he spent literally 2 years of his life getting phone calls and letters in the mail. Finally on his final year of school he actually couldn't get whatever type of financial assistance he was using for paying for school because of it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Microsoft are not taking the console back. It will go to collections and someone else will deal with it. The only time items are physically taken back are when they are high dollar items like homes and vehicles and loans for things. A $500 console is just going to be sent to collections and they will harass you until they get something out of you. I actually have a financially imbecilic buddy who did this with a laptop from Best Buy where he thought "Hey I only have $100 to my name so I will put the laptop on a credit card and then not pay it. Not like theyr'e gonna come take it away." Little did he realize that alone severely damaged his credit and he spent literally 2 years of his life getting phone calls and letters in the mail. Finally on his final year of school he actually couldn't get whatever type of financial assistance he was using for paying for school because of it.

True, this is a basic little CC loan from Citizens, I don't think they'll be repossessing anything. You might get your Live ID blocked/closed if you don't pay, but that would be about it (they might not even do that). Really though, everyone should fulfill the requirements they take on, don't ruin it for everyone.

Last edited:
Do you expect people to outright purchase cars? Phones? Furniture?

Basically everything has a loan program for it, this is just catching up with everything else, not some paradigm shift in purchasing.

Yes - smart people don't spend money they don't have. Unless it's life necessity like home or it can be used to increase your qualifications/make you earn more you should also avoid non 0% rates credit.

If you can 0% rates it's okaish as long as you don't start buying things you can't afford.

Genx3

Really though, everyone should fulfill the requirements they take on, don't ruin it for everyone.

Agreed.
Selling you an expensive console with zero interest in monthly installments while letting you take the HW home is a huge benefit.
They are lowering the barrier for entry into the eco system without making any extra money out of it. Be grateful and make your payments on time so that other people coming after you can also enjoy these benefits.

Genx3

Yes - smart people don't spend money they don't have. Unless it's life necessity like home or it can be used to increase your qualifications/make you earn more you should also avoid non 0% rates credit.

If you can 0% rates it's okaish as long as you don't start buying things you can't afford.

You're absolutely right that people who can't afford something should not be buying it.
In this situation they are letting people take the HW home and giving them GPU for about $30 a month with zero interest.
If a person can not easily afford $30 a month they should not be buying it.

Also:
"There are no application fees, no annual fees, no late fees, nor early repayment fees for your Citizens One Line of Credit for Xbox All Access. However, late payments may be reported to the credit bureaus."

Last edited:
I also believe that every time they've done this in the past it never came out to be more than the full cost of the console and services over the financing term, with ownership at the end. It's an incredibly consumer-friendly move to build up a user-base with a 0% financing plan.

Genx3

People with a bad credit score wont though will they? If you wanted both why not put them on credit?

Going through All Access is a much better deal.
"There are no application fees, no annual fees, no late fees, nor early repayment fees for your Citizens One Line of Credit for Xbox All Access. However, late payments may be reported to the credit bureaus."

Dr.brain64

I'm sure Sony will eventually offer something similar.

I can afford both. A subscription model (contract) is a BIG NO for me.

The Shift

Banned
If it is anything like smartphones, there will be some serious credit checks and likely requests for money down or deposits.

My phone provider here in Australia is managing this right now for Game Pass + 1S or 1X and will be offering the same for SX. I can add a console on to my monthly plan via my providers app on my phone and it will be delivered 2-3 days later. So in other words if you are in Australia and have Telstra as your phone plan provider you can get an SX delivered at launch with $0.00 upfront cost that will be billed monthly as an add on to your current plan.

Kagey K

Banned
With this coming with gamepass, the barrier of entry to gaming is going to be cheaper then it’s ever been at the start of a gen.

I wish such a thing existed when I was a kid and could use part of my allowance to buy a console and have a ton of games to play.

Last edited:

pr0cs

With this coming with gamepass, the barrier of entry to gaming is going to be cheaper then it’s ever been at the start of a gen.

I wish such a thing existed when I was a kid and could use part of my allowance to buy a console and have a ton of games to play.
Gamepass would have been a thing of dreams for me as a kid.
I lost count how many absolutely shitty games I bought in the computer store because the box looked cool... Only to find that the game was garbage and the box the best part.

There's a reason i never buy anything on layby or in installments. They're hedging their bets~ afraid the PS4 is going to cost much less again~ "even if we do cost more it's possible to pay off bit by bit"~

Kagey K

Banned
There's a reason i never buy anything on layby or in installments. They're hedging their bets~ afraid the PS4 is going to cost much less again~ "even if we do cost more it's possible to pay off bit by bit"~
I imagine you are wrong here, but we will have to wait a few months to see.

Will be interesting to revisit, once all the cards are laid out.

Yeah I'm not going to sit here and let this be spun into a negative. They did this with the 360 and it cost less than the PlayStation 3, they did this with the Xbox One S and X when both are already cheaper or evenly priced with the PlayStation consoles.

There's no logical coherence here, this is bait.

Yeah I'm not going to sit here and let this be spun into a negative. They did this with the 360 and it cost less than the PlayStation 3, they did this with the Xbox One S and X when both are already cheaper or evenly priced with the PlayStation consoles.

There's no logical coherence here, this is bait.
I don't bait, it's honestly just my opinion, but I'm not going to claim it's anything more than supposition~ sometimes I'm convinced nobody's gonna look at my post and let a few edgy terms slip out i guess

Kagey K

Banned
Gamepass would have been a thing of dreams for me as a kid.
I lost count how many absolutely shitty games I bought in the computer store because the box looked cool... Only to find that the game was garbage and the box the best part.
My friend and I abused rental stores because of this. Every weekend when we were really young (10-12) we would each take a portion of our allowance and rent 1 game each for the weekend, that way if one of us chose a stinker, hopefully we had a backup game to get us by.

Then we got our parents to buy us the keepers for birthdays and xmas. We also alternated systems, so we could play everything. I had nes so he got master system, he got SNES so I got Genesis.

Then we would arrange our weekend rentals based on who’s house we planned to spend time at that weekend.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox All Access has existed for several months already and is available via Amazon. There's NO down payment/upfront cost and 0% interest for 24 months. For those who don't want to spend hundreds now at once, this is an excellent deal.

I think we’re looking at £599.99 if this is being pushed as a subscription model. No way am i buying this on credit. It could be a bluff to tempt sony into releasing a ps5 pricepoint, but i am pretty sure they are waiting for microsoft to make the first move.

Top Bottom