• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X WDSN530 has custom ASIC to support PCIe 4.0 (Tweaktown corrects PCIe 3.0 claims)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You do realize that OCD isn't what most people have it's actually OCPD(obsessive compulsive PERSONALITY disorder) they sound the same but are pretty different.

4lv5gu.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I mean in the end it looks like it was one statement in some FAQ on one page...

I doubt it was some malicious thing; someone got something wrong... something wrong that is rather meaningless because they've never claimed anything other than a moderate SSD speed anyways.

So the "why" is likely... a mistake some person made. Why are we hearing so much about it? CONSOLE WARZZZ
Totally, as long as it reaches the numbers MS provided who cares.It could be pcie 237, it just need to be able to reach stated numbers.

Edit: Shit I just figured, I watched Shinning last night maybe that pcie number wasn't that random.

Last edited:

rnlval

No one said otherwise. You are right. Maybe read again what all people here are saying? Only noticeable customization is cramping 4x lanes of PCIe 3.0 into 2x lanes of PCIe 4.0. Reason? PCIe 4.0 total lanes budget inside the motherboard. This is also a problem with PC as many stupid fucks install everything top quality then whine about the underwhelming performance due to many parts sucking power from each other, like me avoiding 2nd NVMe m.2 SSD (m.2_2) because it'll draw power from the main GPU/CPU:

Motherboard-Map.png

What's more stupid is SLI/Crossfire as it'll heavily suck power from the main GPU/CPU in such motherboard!
X470 is not PCIe version 4.0 compliant.

x5IOE9hplxgQwNWM.jpg

PS; I own ASUS ROG Strix X570 which supports PEG slots bifurcation mode.

rnlval

Nah, my 1TB Samsung 970 Pro is 3.5GB/s, and it's PCIe 3.0:

2x lanes of PCIe 4.0 could handle around 4GB/s:

PCIe® 4.0 offers double the bandwidth over PCIe 3.0, up to 32 GB/s on x16 slots: More bandwidth means fewer bottlenecks and components competing for speed. Better signal reliability and integrity: Improved performance and consistency.

You would need PCIe 4.0 interface as well for other components like GPU (RDNA2) and CPU (Zen2, version 2? As my 2700x is also Zen2). So you can't nitpick for SSD alone. So they used PCIe-3.0-based SSD via 2x lanes only. Meets their targets.

Your 2700X is NOT "Zen 2" at 7nm.

2700X is "Zen 1.5" at 12 nm. Zen 1.x does not have true 256-bit AVX hardware.

My Ryzen 9 3900X is Zen 2 at 7nm. Zen 2.x has 256-bit AVX hardware. AVX hardware on Zen 3 is better when compared to Zen 2.

Last edited:

Three

I was telling people more than a month ago before this came out that it is the equivalent to a gen 3 x4 drive (and that is exactly what it is using) when people were trying to justify the stupidly high price of these XSX drives. Some people just don't understand that PCIe is just an interface and it makes no difference on the actual drives they're selling.

It's a drive designed for PCIe x4 gen 3 as stated in its product page and matches its spec exactly at 2.4Gb/s but also clearly obvious from the physical interface which is clearly 'gen 3' x4. This then is connected to a PCIe x2 Gen 4 interface on the SoC through a "custom ASIC" on the mainbord. I doubt it's even on the drive otherwise there would be no reason for that x4 pinout.

Ascend

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nah, dreams sometimes don't make sense, I've even dreamt of fucking a monster one time. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Imagine what I'll dream if I was alcoholic.:messenger_face_screaming: I'm the guy with the green turban on the left:

I can answer that for you, nothing. You just fell into some half-coma : D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Even worse mate I'm a Sunderland fan..

Anyhow I'm now sitting watching videos of you explaining various trees - sometimes things just don't play out the way you expect.

I'm honoured! Consider me your perfect, free-of-charge tour guide if you ever consider stepping a foot in Salalah, Oman!

I can answer that for you, nothing. You just fell into some half-coma : D

It's hard to make sense of some dreams, but my worst nightmares came from original RE2 on PS1 back in the day. Mainly the lickers.:messenger_fearful:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

rnlval

I had a dream last night that Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem decided to get an Xbox Series X instead of a PS5. I thought that was too crazy to be real.

CLZ7NAPdoLqhHwr8r2aShL-970-80.png

We have confirmed that the latest BIOS files for AMD's ROG Strix X470-I Gaming, Crosshair VI Hero and Crosshair VII Hero already lack PCIe 4.0 support. We expect ASUS' other AM4 motherboards to be impacted once new BIOS iterations are available.

FYI, PCIe 4.0 support was removed from B450/X470 series chipsets and you will need a BIOS update with Zen 3. LOL

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just for more weirdness.

Some peoples Series S consoles are showing up with SSDs that have the full Phison E19 PCIE4 drive.
5uqeWXY.jpg

Top Bottom