• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X WDSN530 has custom ASIC to support PCIe 4.0 (Tweaktown corrects PCIe 3.0 claims)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Nothing has been debunked: IT IS a PCIE 3 drive connected to a PCIE 4 controller....
PCIe is just an interface for connection with the drive. The drive uses a Phison E19T controller which supports PCIe 4.0 if you are worried about the inside.
PCI Express 4.0 connections hook up both internal and optional external SSDs directly to the processor.

jaysius

Banned
Lets talk about SSD speeds a year in, when we have benchmarks from games that are actually made natively for this gen. Then we'll find out if any of this means anything.

Pages of people that don't know dick all about fuck all, it's very entertaining, to a Sony fanboi I guess this is a "teabagging" for MS fans, but in reality it's splitting hairs.

For Sony's sake, they should have a "fail to external" for when the soldered on SSD drive dies, otherwise you'll have a big paperweight.

Last edited:
It is the same drive... any teardown will show the same drive SN530.
WD chanced the ASIC controller to support PCI-E 4.0.

People were calling the teardown in this thread to be fake or debunked when it was not.

Same old debunk crew with the same old tactics. Picks a strawman to debunk instead of what's actually being discussed on the thread. Disingenuous as hell - transparent as hell too. The art of damage control. As if the topic needed to be damage controlled - it's not even a big deal. Kinda sad.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PCIe is just an interface for connection with the drive. The drive uses a Phison E19T controller which supports PCIe 4.0 if you are worried about the inside.

No one said otherwise. You are right. Maybe read again what all people here are saying? Only noticeable customization is cramping 4x lanes of PCIe 3.0 into 2x lanes of PCIe 4.0. Reason? PCIe 4.0 total lanes budget inside the motherboard. This is also a problem with PC as many stupid fucks install everything top quality then whine about the underwhelming performance due to many parts sucking power from each other, like me avoiding 2nd NVMe m.2 SSD (m.2_2) because it'll draw power from the main GPU/CPU:

Motherboard-Map.png

What's more stupid is SLI/Crossfire as it'll heavily suck power from the main GPU/CPU in such motherboard!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The Phison E19T is the expansion card controller, we knew that was PCI-e 4.0 since page one.

The only addition has been that an ASIC is used to bridge the SN530 to PCI-e 4.0, but we also knew that it must be bridging four lanes of 3.0 over two lanes of 4.0, so I don't know that anything has changed

Dolomite

Only ignorance got confirmed, you did a good job there.
Sleepy OP here, missed a lot of news. I'm confused. Since page one, we knew the external expansion card was PCI-e 4.0, and we knew that the internal card was bridging 4 lanes of PCI-e 3.0 from the SSD controller over to 2 lanes of PCI-e 4.0 on the host side.

Did I miss something else, what is the debunk? That post is the external expansion card?

>Instead, the drive has been outfitted with a special ASIC that enables both PCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2

We knew it had to bridge the SN530 back to two lanes of PCI-e 4.0
Gaf gets way too excited over the possibility of bad news. Appearantly to the point where they feel personally attacked when corrected😂

lUvlgPG.png

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7613...e-4-0/amp.html?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Dolomite

I love that on Xbox launch day we are still arguing over SSD PCIe 3vs 4 as if it quite literally would make any substantial difference, yet processing power, native rez support, and ML are non factors when it comes to competing hardware

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Dolomite

Start by reading and correcting yourself, as no one said anything that contradicts with that source. It's like telling you to change your burnt H4 bulb and you say the frontlight isn't broken. It's that stupid.
Bo, hear me out, cheif : I don't give a fuck, Bud. It's series X launch day.

If the PCIe3 vs PCIe4 hill is the one you're willing to spill your guts on to feel you've made the superior console purchase, then congratulations?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Start by reading and correcting yourself, as no one said anything that contradicts with that source. It's like telling you to change your burnt H4 bulb and you say the frontlight isn't broken. It's that stupid.
Then what exactly is the issue that's being discussed? Because there's a lot of smugness, arrogance and arguing going on for everyone to be in agreement.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo, hear me out, cheif : I don't give a fuck, Bud. It's series X launch day.

If the PCIe3 vs PCIe4 hill is the one you're willing to spill your guts on to feel you've made the superior console purchase, then congratulations?

You can always unread/unwatch the thread. There are many threads that I'm not interested in, so I don't give them a fuck. This is an interesting tech matter and it's entertaining to talk about. If you don't give a fuck, it's better to enjoy your time elsewhere.

Bernkastel

Is MS confused?
No one said otherwise. You are right. Maybe read again what all people here are saying? Only noticeable customization is cramping 4x lanes of PCIe 3.0 into 2x lanes of PCIe 4.0. Reason? PCIe 4.0 total lanes budget inside the motherboard. This is also a problem with PC as many stupid fucks install everything top quality then whine about the underwhelming performance due to many parts sucking power from each other, like me avoiding 2nd NVMe m.2 SSD (m.2_2) because it'll draw power from the main GPU/CPU:

What's more stupid is SLI/Crossfire as it'll heavily suck power from the main GPU/CPU in such motherboard!
I like how you are acting high by calling MS stupid without reading that the max throughput is 3.938 GB/s(from Western Digital) which is more than that of the controller. And you still call out everyone with
Maybe read again what all people here are saying?
Same old debunk crew with the same old tactics. Picks a strawman to debunk instead of what's actually being discussed on the thread. Disingenuous as hell - transparent as hell too. The art of damage control. As if the topic needed to be damage controlled - it's not even a big deal. Kinda sad.
This thread didnt start based on someone's deduction but a source(or as you call it "a strawman") and most of the thread was just "XSX SSD is PCIe 3.0" until tweaktown were contacted by Western Digital and the goalpost was immediately moved to long drawn out posts.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Then what exactly is the issue that's being discussed? Because there's a lot of smugness, arrogance and arguing going on for everyone to be in agreement.

There is no argument should be here, it's an issue with the marketing headlines. Here the message is arguably currect:

efuepw6xyjjvvuwqutcidl-jpg.3029047

The messaging in a Q&A seems to state the SSD being PCIe 4.0 which is not, but the above is correct. They didn't mention the SSD drive type, but it's through x2 PCIe Gen4 lanes. Here is the misleading message:

ElCxrWm.png

It's still a 4x PCIe 3.0 drive that runs in 2x PCIe 4.0 mode. That's the only customization here. Doesn't change anything about the specs of the drive itself

Dolomite

I feel personally attacked? News to me.

Everything under your quote by me is consistent with that quote...
Lmao ok guy. It seems like you can't let this one go, so here your participation award : you were right, and even when you're misleading thread title and source corrected itself with an article the next day, you were somehow still right, because Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem agrees with you Your trophy is in the mail😂😂

LordOfChaos

Lmao ok guy. It seems like you can't let this one go, so here your participation award : you were right, and even when you're misleading thread title and source corrected itself with an article the next day, you were somehow still right, because Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem agrees with you Your trophy is in the mail😂😂

Well you were right about SOMEONE taking this personally I guess (it's you). Want to discuss what I said on its technical merit rather than the gochya points?

A custom ASIC is letting the SN530 controller talk back to a PCI-e host over two lanes of PCI-e 4.0...Which is what we surmised early on, the difference is the word ASIC.

Page three...Sounds like something someone might do with some sort of Application-specific integrated circuit, eh?

Ohh, yeah I think that's what's going on, PCI-e 4.0 laptops right now like on Tiger Lake have fewer lanes than the previous 3.0 ones, so what they do is use two 4.0 lanes to talk to 4 3.0 lanes.
The drive controller just thinks its sending 4x 3.0, the host deals with it by assigning two 3.0 lanes to one 4.0 lane.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I like how you are acting high by calling MS stupid without reading that the max throughput is 3.938 GB/s(from Western Digital) which is more than that of the controller. And you still call out everyone with

This thread didnt start based on someone's deduction but a source(or as you call it "a strawman") and most of the thread was just "XSX SSD is PCIe 3.0" until tweaktown were contacted by Western Digital and the goalpost was immediately moved to long drawn out posts.

The more I spend time here the more brain cells I lose. Everything is crystal clear, but you either acting dumb, or you are dumb. Everything that's needed to be said has been said, moving goalposts around won't change the solid facts. Won't post further in this madness.

Bernkastel

The more I spend time here the more brain cells I lose. Everything is crystal clear, but you either acting dumb, or you are dumb. Everything that's needed to be said has been said, moving goalposts around won't change the solid facts. Won't post further in this madness.
Other than those links that was my first actual post in this thread.
There is no argument should be here, it's an issue with the marketing headlines. Here the message is arguably currect:

The messaging in a Q&A seems to state the SSD being PCIe 4.0 which is not, but the above is correct. They didn't mention the SSD drive type, but it's through x2 PCIe Gen4 lanes. Here is the misleading message:

ElCxrWm.png
It's still a 4x PCIe 3.0 drive that runs in 2x PCIe 4.0 mode. That's the only customization here. Doesn't change anything about the specs of the drive itself
It uses a PCIe 4.0 connection and the SSD has been modified to support it, so its a PCIe 4.0 SSD.

LordOfChaos

lol what is going on here. People are quoting same info and saying no you are wrong and I am right :messenger_tears_of_joy:

tl;dr

Early thread: The system must be bridging the SN530's four PCI-e 3.0 lanes over to the hosts two PCI-e 4.0 lanes
Update: The system is bridging the SN530's four PCI-e 3.0 lanes over to the hosts two PCI-e 4.0 lanes with an ASIC that lets it communicate to PCI-e 4.0
Fanboys: SeE YoUr WroNg

It's the same end speed, which I said from the start, it's the same controller as the start, the update just clarified exactly how it's doing so

Posts about the expansion card controller are also not about the topic, we also knew that was PCI-e 4.0 from page one.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

ElCxrWm.png
So, then, the real question:

Does it matter? And, if so, why?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I mean.. if it's a PCIE 3.0 drive MS shouldn't say it's a PCIE 4.0 drive.

It's not important.. but it's a bit of a pattern for their marketing.
That's the thing I don't get about their marketing.Clamoring these specifications only interests people that understand them.
And the people that understand them can understand when it is false (or misleading in this case).
When simply stating their SSD's speed should be enough for most people.

The only reason I can see about deceiving people on this part is only to give ammo to warriors, no matter the side.

And for everybody if a SSD with 2.5Gb/s reach thoses claimed numbers then who care about being 3.0 or 4.0?

Last edited:

dxdt

If I connect a USB 2.0 drive to a USB 3.0 port, the drive instantly becomes USB 3.0... :D
Except the actual communication of the XSX NVME controller is Gen 4 x2 and the SSD is also Gen 4 x2. The USB 2.0 flash drive can NEVER perform to the same speeds of a USB 3.0 flash drive. In the end, MS advertised it as 2.5 GB/s per second using Gen 4 x2 as exactly WD confirmed.

jaysius

Banned
Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What extra price are you referring to with regards to the internal SSD in the XSX?

I was not being sarcastic oh God. I was talking about the tech being the same used for the external. Not sure what you want to me to say here 😕. Oh well, here to please I guess ;).

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is how thirsty Sony fanbois are for a win over MS fanbois.

This battle in the console war will go down as STUPID AF... like many of them. Sony anxiety whores lost some good minutes of thinking and spun some piles of bullshit there.

Relax, mate.:messenger_face_screaming::messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Relax, mate.

Take your own advice.

Your racked with anxiety over a company making plastic boxes, you're constantly attacking people and trying to find the smallest nuggets of info that you think are vaguely related to the things that are in PS5(which often times aren't) to prove a win for Sony. It's really something. Yea you're going to say "it's not anxiety" but that's only because you don't realize it yourself. When you PS5 gets to you, enjoy it have fun. CHILL OUT a bit maybe?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's the thing I don't get about their marketing.Clamoring these specifications only interests people that understand them.
And the people that understand them can understand when it is false (or misleading in this case).
When simply stating their SSD's speed should be enough for most people.

The only reason I can see about deceiving people on this part is only to give ammo to warriors, no matter the side.

And for everybody if a SSD with 2.5Gb/s reach thoses claimed numbers then who care about being 3.0 or 4.0?
I mean in the end it looks like it was one statement in some FAQ on one page...

I doubt it was some malicious thing; someone got something wrong... something wrong that is rather meaningless because they've never claimed anything other than a moderate SSD speed anyways.

So the "why" is likely... a mistake some person made. Why are we hearing so much about it? CONSOLE WARZZZ

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Take your own advice.

Your racked with anxiety over a company making plastic boxes, you're constantly attacking people and trying to find the smallest nuggets of info that you think are vaguely related to the things that are in PS5(which often times aren't) to prove a win for Sony. It's really something. Yea you're going to say "it's not anxiety" but that's only because you don't realize it yourself. When you PS5 gets to you, enjoy it have fun. CHILL OUT a bit maybe?

It's not anxiety. :messenger_grimmacing_

Top Bottom