• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X WDSN530 has custom ASIC to support PCIe 4.0 (Tweaktown corrects PCIe 3.0 claims)

LordOfChaos

Not a single one of you warriors realize that the memory controller determines PCIe Gen. I don't know what I expected.

ITS THE SPEED THEY SAID IT IS. 😆
If the controller is what determines if its PCI-e 4, not the card itself, then this is no big deal and people are freaking out about nothing. whats suprising is nobody is commenting that it actually has higher bandwidth then 2.5GB/s advertised.

?

The MC and the SSD controller negotiate the PHY rate, which will be determined by the lowest supported component. Which in this case is the WD SN530, which can only support PCI-e 3.0.

Throwing any other component at a 3.0 drive isn't going to make it 4.0. It's a 3.0 drive and a 4.0 host, full stop.

Last edited:

oldergamer

MS went cheap on the SSD. I wonder why the external card is $200+?
because its 1TB and those are still expensive.

If the controller is what determines if its PCI-e 4, not the card itself, then this is no big deal and people are freaking out about nothing. whats suprising is nobody is commenting that it actually has higher bandwidth then 2.5GB/s advertised.

Dnice123

I guess this would have mattered before we started getting comparisons. Can't wait for these systems to come out.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the difference between 3.0 and 4.0 is big but not ... significant?
I use 3.0 drive on 4.0 motherboard and get 3,5gb speed. 4.0 drives are marketed 5gb

oldergamer

There is just something about Microsoft i can not trust, they keep letting people down.
Baloney. For me, a let down is having a small amount of space to store next gen games, or something that impacts things. This doesn't impact what MS advertised at all. They advertised 2.5 GB/s and we are likely getting 3.7GB/s

doesn't make sense to get let down by that.

sircaw

Banned
Baloney. For me, a let down is having a small amount of space to store next gen games, or something that impacts things. This doesn't impact what MS advertised at all. They advertised 2.5 GB/s and we are likely getting 3.7GB/s

doesn't make sense to get let down by that.

It's just another long line of bullshit that Microsoft says and does that makes them come out as either not knowing what they are doing or rather they seem dishonest.

If you fall for it then that's great for you.

I don't.

And we are done here.

LordOfChaos

posted by one and they are all there with one or multi post indeed.
But there is something not great here, even more if it's a retail XsX.

Is one going to be the one I get first, yeah, but I've posted positive and negative news about either, and think I try to be fair. Platform preferences are one thing, discussing objective technical details is another. It's an interesting teardown. I've also opined the lack of auto HDR and 16x AF boosts on Sony's side. News is news, like it or not.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Speed matches, size matches, and controller is Gen4. Whats the problem?

XBa9hNT.png

GloveSlap

I just need my damn Rocket League update with 120 fps. Still no info on next gen patches :lollipop_grimacing:
They took forever to get the One X 4K patch out before so I don't have much faith. I would hope Epic would put more pressure on them, but the Fortnite next gen patch doesn't have 120 fps yet either.

Yoboman

They took forever to get the One X 4K patch out before so I don't have much faith. I would hope Epic would put more pressure on them, but the Fortnite next gen patch doesn't have 120 fps yet either.
Im hoping they are doing a bigger graphical update with the way they are staying quiet

But for a game that just went F2P, they should be trying everything to retain players as soon as they move to next gen

martino

Is one going to be the one I get first, yeah, but I've posted positive and negative news about either, and think I try to be fair. News is news. It's an interesting teardown. I've also opined the lack of auto HDR and 16x AF boosts on Sony's side. News is news, like it or not.

it's clear to me now that self awareness is not the main quality of your circle maybe you're doing it innocently....
now let's get back to topic.
it's indeed a bad news for ms and could lead to class action if real (imo).

kiphalfton

because its 1TB and those are still expensive.

So since they put in a gen3 NVME, it's gen4? Makes sense.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does this mean they're overpricing the expandable memory ?
Fairly obvious honestly. Not sure why would they need PCIe 4 for 2.4GB/s... Not the mention inside is WD, but for expansion is Seagate, with...questionable reputation.

sircaw

Banned
it's clear to me now that self awareness is not the main quality of your circle maybe you're doing it innocently....
now let's get back to topic.
it's indeed a bad news for ms and could lead to class action if real (imo).

It's just fucking plan naughty, i mean i can not understand how people can not see this.

If its true and from what we can see, the evidence is right in front of them, you can't advertise one thing and then sell something else that is hidden away up some plates and screws.

I get there is console wars but GTFO out of here xbox people for defending this, this is surely against the law, you can surely get in shit for something like this.

Maybe this is ok for America or something, fuck knows what the standards are like over there, but in the UK and eu this is looking for a lot of trouble.

They don't stand for this type of shit.

Just advertise the right equipment with the right specs, its not hard.

Last edited:
Do you think they're somehow different?
Yes, because they were still prototype units with explicit notification that while close they do not represent the final units.

This explains a lot around the loading times being better in retail units than the prototype testing that's been done previously.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe this explains using only 2x PCIe 4.0 lanes instead of full 4x lanes? As 2x lanes max out at 3.5GB/s = 4x PCIe 3.0 lanes?
Technically just a CGI rendition, however they were always using technically accurate graphic for this...Seemingly dis does not seems like it's using much lanes:
xbox_series_X_velocity_architecture-1024x464.png

Connxtion

What’s the CH stand for? As when looking I can only find PC SN530 drives.

Maybe a different chipsets used for these drives?

ToadMan

Weird. I would assume not but I wonder if there will be cases where the external is marginally faster, if it uses 2x gen 4, while the internal uses 2x gen 3.

I'm assuming such a setup though is to make sure the external card never throttles to below the internal drives performance, ensuring consistent performance between them, they may be setting them to the same speed to make sure it's constant.

It came from this slide at hot chips

AnsxKii.jpg

I’m just curious now how this all fits together...

Not being in any way an SSD aficionado I can’t say what the impact of that might be.

I do wonder if it’s something as simple as 2 Gen4 lanes being the equivalent of 4 gen 3 lanes though so the net loading speed is the same for internal and external.

Last edited:
Top Bottom