• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X SSD and GPU Will Lead to More Efficient Content Streaming and More Immersive Experiences – Dev

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We recently had the chance to shoot a bunch of questions at Fatshark, and got responses from CEO Martin Wahlund, technical producer Mikael Hansson, and Darktide’s game director Anders De Geer. When asked about the Xbox Series X’s SSD and GPU, they said that they should help with more efficient streaming of content and creating more immersive experiences.

“The faster SSD will have the most significant impact on the way we build games,” the developer said. “It will allow game developers to more efficiently stream content directly from disk to more efficiently use our available runtime memory. The fact that we can guarantee that all players will have a fast SSD in their systems will also allow us to slim down our content packages significantly. By not requiring us to optimize our packages for faster loading times by duplicating content we will be able to deliver more content to players in a smaller footprint. As for the GPU horsepower, short term it will of course allow us to render the Warhammer 40K world in more vivid detail and at a faster frame rate than ever before to deliver more immersive experiences to our players.”

They went on to say, however, that specifically where their games are concerned, they are far more excited about increased CPU performance in the new consoles, which brings the hardware much closer to PC hardware.

“As mentioned before, with the current performance profile of our games we are in fact much more excited about the increase in CPU performance for this generation that sits much closer to the current PC counterparts than the increase in GPU performance which we will easily consume by just turning up the quality settings nobs, resolution and framerate targets.”

In the same interview, the Darktide developers also spoke to us about the less powerful Xbox Series S, saying that the system won’t “significantly limit the game development progress as a whole in any way”. Read more on that through here.

dcmk7

Banned
I really don't like the "won't significantly" part of that sentence. It insinuates that it does have an affect despite not being 'significant'.

Wish he elaborated more on that.

I really don't like the "won't significantly" part of that sentence. It insinuates that it does have an affect despite not being 'significant'.

What more needs to be said? It obviously requires a little more work but it won't affect development in any significant way. This won't sit well with the usual suspects here, I'll grab the popcorn.

Perhaps he's talking about the resolution of the game. How would you feel if the XSS version of the title ran at 1080p for instance?

What more needs to be said? It obviously requires a little more work but it won't affect development in any significant way. This won't sit well with the usual suspects here, I'll grab the popcorn.
Some have a narrative about the XSS and won't be swayed from it no matter what. This dev won't be brought up only the detractors.

Last edited:
They weren't asked about it. They have brought it up on other occasions when talking about the CPU.

Why do you insist on instigating console wars every where you go?

XSS is the same generation as the XSX. Or isn't, hm? Developer also WILL MUST develop for XSS too, alongside with XSX.
Btw. XSS should bring the same experience then. You know, in games difference will be only in resolution between the two. As they say. I've asked legitimately about XSS in Xbox thread, your conclusion = console warrioring. LOL

Btw. let me see what you'll say, oh yes, but, but, but your post history...

Last edited:

TBiddy

XSS is the same generation as the XSX. Or isn't, hm? Developer also WILL MUST develop for XSS too, alongside with XSX.
Btw. XSS should bring the same experience then. You know, in games difference will be only in resolution between the two. As they say. I've asked legitimately about XSS in Xbox thread, your conclusion = console warrioring. LOL

Btw. let me see what you'll say, oh yes, but, but, but your post history...

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here.

You barged into a thread about the XSX and started trolling as usual. The developers have already discussed the XSS, and yet you act like they dodged the question completely. Do everyone a favor and read the articles that are linked, before you throw your usual tantrums.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here. You barged into a thread about the XSX and started trolling as usual. The developers have already discussed the XSS, and yet you act like they dodged the question completely.

I'm pretty sure you know what i'm talking about.
But you said that Dev wasn't asked about XSS in previous posts. Now you said it is. It wasn't actually in some specifics like XSX was.

Top Bottom