• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S reportedly passed the PS5 to be the second best-selling console in the UK in April

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wow, way to be perpetually offended to state the obvious. One can still argue anyway those are linear games since the story-based narrative events flow simply one way, there are not many if any branch paths in the story that can lead to a vast variety of endings.

No, one can't argue. Linear game means you're stuck on a direct path. That's the entire point of something being linear. But here's a something you fail to realize. Many triple A titles are narrative, story driven games.

Assassins Creed, Red Dead Redemption, FarCry, Resident Evil are story-based narrative games. Even Halo and Gears fall in this category. But I know xbox fans who try to move the goal-post say, "they're not story focused games, they're multiplayer". Uh, these games have a lot of attention towards single player with an entire narrative/story campaign. Even TLOU had MP and it was a so called "story based game" with a lot of people playing multiplayer.

Yep, such an Xbox fanboy I'm mainly playing SNES and PlayStation games this weekend. Maybe you are projecting yourself onto me and you just incessantly call other people Xbox fanboys out some guilt of being a giant shill yourself? Dunno, maybe go see a psychiatrist about it 🤷‍♂️
Colteastwood owns PlayStation consoles, I guess that keeps him from being bias. Your actions speak volumes. lol

It wasn't a blanket statement; it was a general to-the-point statement since it was barely the focus of that post. The point there was, when most of these people who keep asking for MS to release "1P bangers" do so, they usually keep bringing up the sort of Sony games that fit that label more closely than others.

But here you are getting offended and triggered thinking I made the mention as a qualitative statement, like I was inferring one type of game is inherently better than the other. No, that's YOU reading into it because you have some bias against me picturing me as something I'm not. Go deal with that off the forum.

They don't. They're talking about big games. Period. TLOU, Mario, Smash Bros, Uncharted, GoT, Ratchet and Clank and Zelda would fall in this category.. For some reason, you guys think games like the Ori, the Medium would pull in similar numbers. These big games attract people to the platform and that's been proven by the numbers.

So once again, suddenly 3P games magically don't count. Also maybe take a look at Sony's own software figures before making these claims while conveniently ignoring that 3P releases make up 83% of their own platform's software revenue and, uh, last I checked the vast majority of those are on Xbox as well.

You guys can never quantify what a "big budget AAA release" even is, you say this like it's a single type of game, in a single type of genre. But I can generally infer what you mean when you say it, which shows how limited that talking point really is. Also your statement here is chock full of hypocrisies and unintended ironies; "biggest marketing budgets" could also mean things you probably don't want to think they could mean, like access media privileges in return for early copies and free sway (this stuff happens in the movie industry all the time you would be naive to think it doesn't happen in gaming as well).

You are making a very selfish argument because truth be told there are many other things that draw people into a gaming ecosystem outside of just 1P AAA games; I mentioned a lot of those and while it's debatable if PS5 is as good at some of those other things mentioned, nonetheless it does provide them which are also draws in and of themselves. You guys forever get caught in narrow-minded tunnel vision and you just end up recycling the same stale talking points over and over even with literal proof that those talking points either aren't true, or don't hold up in practice the way they do in your imagination.

Now leave me alone while I go have some time with my PlayStation (uh oh maybe I can't play that anymore since I just made a post that didn't completely kick Xbox in the balls and licked PlayStation's butthole 😲 :messenger_weary: )

You're just in denial.

Spider-Man, TLOU, GoT were the biggest releases from Sony within the past 12 months.

Do you think gamers are more likely to pick up one of those 3 titles including third party games, or do you think they're more likely to pick up Ori, The Medium or Gears Tactics and another third party game?

That's the difference between releasing big titles. They're most likely gravitate towards the consoles with exclusives along with their fair share of third party games. This is a something you have a hard time understanding.

yazenov

Next time on; tales pulled from the ass.

Do a little research and check the latest NPD sales thread. Dual Sense is the number one accessory for many months in a row.
Accessories

"March 2021 spending on video game accessories reached a March record $300 million, 26% higher when compared to a year ago. First quarter accessory dollar sales totaled $717 million, 42% higher than a year ago.

The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White was the leading accessory in dollar sales for the month of March as well as the first quarter."

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Do a little research and check the latest NPD sales thread. Dual Sense is the number one accessory for many months in a row.
Accessories

"March 2021 spending on video game accessories reached a March record $300 million, 26% higher when compared to a year ago. First quarter accessory dollar sales totaled $717 million, 42% higher than a year ago.

The PS5 DualSense Wireless Controller White was the leading accessory in dollar sales for the month of March as well as the first quarter."
UK sales thread. Cites NPD. Asks me to do research :messenger_tears_of_joy:

yazenov

UK sales thread. Cites NPD. Asks me to do research :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The US is the biggest market for Xbox. If DualSense is the number one accesory there in MS's home turf, its guaranteed 100% to outsell Xbox's controllers worldwide. Its not even debatable. Its a fact.

Cannot seem to find series x ready available in USA, uk, Canada, Australia, Germany, France etc. Can you please give me an examples where Xbox series x is easy to get? now I am really curious.
Don't feed him, he's a fanboy nothing more. Just to add I live in the UK and I only just got hold of one this week. I've been on the look out for one for months. It was in stock for about 20mins on Microsoft's store, the Series S however is available and has been for the last month or so.

yazenov

Why is it a big deal when Xbox users celebrate sales, but PS users celebrating outselling Xbox while losing to Switch is just fine? Someone help me out here.
Dude, we are just having a friendly discussion . its all fun and games, and nobody is really actually pissed by this news. We fight over literally everything and Its just a friendly jab .

No fun allowed.

Why is it a big deal when Xbox users celebrate sales, but PS users celebrating outselling Xbox while losing to Switch is just fine? Someone help me out here.

It is not a big deal, it is hilarious actually. Claiming that XSX outsold PS5 despite it was in 2nd place. Making news about being 2nd and ahead of PS5 it is just sign of desperation for Xbox sites.
It is the important to be ahead of PS5. Doesn't matter if Switch was the best selling console in April.

Real source was this, but Windows Central, of course, made a news on their own :

Just over 90,000 games consoles were sold in the UK for the four weeks ending May 1st, 2021, according to GfK Entertainment.

It's a sharp drop of 59% over the same period in 2020. Of course, April 2020 was the first full month of the original lockdown in the UK, and that had an immediate effect on sales of games, consoles and accessories.

Anyway, let us see will PS5 be the best selling console in May

Last edited:
Bit of advice for you people. Neither corporation loves you. They won't reward you with a free console for your religious devotion. In fact, their marketing departments most likely hate you since they're all usually twee hipsters who haven't worked a full day in their lives. Corporations don't love you, they just want your money. So in return you should demand of them value for your money.

Last edited:
Bit of advice for you people. Neither corporation loves you.

giphy.gif

Woopah

It is not a big deal, it is hilarious actually. Claiming that XSX outsold PS5 despite it was in 2nd place. Making news about being 2nd and ahead of PS5 it is just sign of desperation for Xbox sites.
It is the important to be ahead of PS5. Doesn't matter if Switch was the best selling console in April.

Real source was this, but Windows Central, of course, made a news on their own :

Anyway, let us see will PS5 be the best selling console in May

Interesting, I wonder if it will be enough to outsell the Switch this month.

TBiddy

it isnt. xbox is easy to get everywhere but usa.

You might be my new favorite fanboy on Gaf. Every single post you make is literally wrong or made-up. To quote one of my favorite characters from one of my favorite shows:

Goddamn amazing.

Woffls

where are all these unsold Series X consoles in the UK then? I did see two available at Smyths in Grimsby but like fuck am i going to Grimsby.

Top Bottom